• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
MS is an odd case because they need to set aside some #s to be dedicated for Xcloud blades. So they're not really up to meeting demand as much as Sony when they have a service to sell.
Haven't they said they aren't upgrading them for awhile (until next year)? So they are probably waiting for demand to slow before then. Sony probably the same with PSNow, which is why they haven't said much, besides it'll be getting upgrades soon.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will be very impressed if Sony can meet the launch demand of PS5. People are very thirsty for the new gen.

I haven't been this excited for a console launch from PS, ever. I was very unimpressed with launch lineup of PS3 and PS4. PS5 certainly looks like it will have a stronger lineup, but I'll hold my breath til Wednesday to see the final lineup.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean airlines are desperate for business and prices have never been so low as they are currently. Smart move!

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Doubled production and air freight to ensure supply?

Predicting it to be a hot ticket item for the entire quarter... $199!

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all $599 guys are delusional.......this is clearly a $399 console to meet the demand....good guy Sony bringing every last of the PS5 to you so you guys dont kill each other on day one......:)

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's about delivery times, the consoles are likely still early in final production but sea freight typically at this point is taking 2-3 months with all the covid backlogs at port and you still got to deal with custom delays which can add 1-4 weeks at the various ports for containers to clear. If they want to meet the launch date, they have to use flight unless these were produced months ago and already on the water now.

Flight freight on the other hand basically gets from point A to B in a day.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this and now I'm wondering if it's for an earlier than planned release.
na i don't believe so. November is a good time to release. But if production started earlier, more ps5s could have gone on ships earlier as well, allowing them to stuff the channel and rely less on air. Its not feasible to solely ship via air as its too expensive for the numbers and weight they're shipping. I'm sure they're still shipping by sea but as thats the most cost effective method.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"Air freight is faster than sea, but more expensive."

Everything we've heard about the PS5 makes it seem it won't be $400.

I don't think this is something that will have been factored into the launch price. This feels more like a cost you just have to swallow if things are coming in a little hot or you're worried that sea freight won't cut it. It can take around a month on ships. If it's not gonna work for you then you only really have one other option. It's cheaper to send by sea if the dates make sense but this is ultimately just the shipping of the first quarter's consoles. It's not gonna suddenly force them to rethink their pricing strategy I wouldn't think.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Buh But Sony's poor! How can they afford this?!

/s

I feel like people forget that Sony, while not being the richest, is still a big company. They'll do whatever they feel they need to do to compete, flying in consoles and losing a bit of money to keep the price manageable included.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
upsdrone.jpg
That UPS box is in such a pristine shape, it looks fake.

Maybe the drone will drop it from 20 meters to comply with the "destroying the box before reaching destination" standard procedure.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
307600 lb capacity, or 30k packages for 747-8.

PS4 Pro is 10.67 lb shipping. 30k per flight roughly. If equal, 1.8M PS5s.

my napkin math translates to about $13-20 per PS5 for delivery

$13 is the rough cost price, who knows what the margin will be.

and if it's in that range, it's easily a price one would absorb just for initial market entry before transitioning to sea

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Theoretically....if one was to be thrown one out over my house could I catch it without it killing me?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Put in a pre-order in April, so feeling good about getting a launch console. Would be nervous if i had to buy one in-store though.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
307600 lb capacity, or 30k packages for 747-8.

PS4 Pro is 10.67 lb shipping. 30k per flight roughly. If equal, 1.8M PS5s.

Doesn't work like that. Volume is what you are looking for (weight is also important but a console is mostly full of air...). i would roughly say that an AF palett would have 300 PS5, and a 747 can take a around 25 of them, which means 7500 units per rotation.

Q4 is the most expensive time in the year to make AF. Flights are overbooked.

AF makes sense for a 1200$ iPhone when you can have 3000 units on a palet, not for a huge box like PS5 will certainly have.

If they do AF, this is certainly because they don't have any other choice or they won't be able to make it for xmas. And this is going to be a big hit to their bottom margin. Whether they are Ok to do it because the PS5 will be sold at a high price and their margin is high enough to absorb it or because they are OK to lose money to be sure their product will be on shelves when initially planned, is a completely different story.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect with Air travel massively down, that airlines are giving decent discounts to get their planes full of cargo. Sony must have done a good deal with Delta to get these cargo flights booked. Its good business all round i think, Delta get their planes back in the sky and Sony get Play stations in to the consumers hands faster.

Also 60 flights is just for the US? thats crazy...

I work in the aviation industry, if they fill the 747-8's up you can get at least 60-70 tons of cargo on them

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
This is wrong, they aren't doing the Xcloud blades until next year. They said those updates would be done in 2021.

IDK about that. If banking on gamepass/xcloud is MS's priority, I would say MS prepping in 2020 would be a mistake but for 2021 would yield greater results than to meet demands for a 2020 launch that is likely to sell out anyways.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
All aboard the PS5 hype plane
Can't, fully booked.
my napkin math translates to about $13-20 per PS5 for delivery

$13 is the rough cost price, who knows what the margin will be.

and if it's in that range, it's easily a price one would absorb just for initial market entry before transitioning to sea
Yeah, they make that back with just one game. Worth it in the long run. Those day 1 buyers are your whales.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering if they'd do this. Shipping/ports were supposedly fairly messed up for a while with Corona - has it returned fully to normal?