• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Honest question, is this because they want a really high supply compared to past launches and traditional methods can't handle the load, or is it because manufacturing is coming in hot and they have to do this in order to deliver supply quickly?

Or a mix of both?
Demand is very high. Manufacturing started back in June, so I doubt the consoles are coming in hot.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really feel this is going to be a late October release, a la PS2.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I will be very impressed if Sony can meet the launch demand of PS5. People are very thirsty for the new gen.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume Microsoft is doing the same?

Only if Msoft feels they need it to supplement normal supply freight. Depends on predicted demand, and how many consoles they've made for launch quarter. Likely not as many as Sony needs to make for PS5, due to Xbox not being as popular in EU or JP.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If they think demand in the US is going to be high enough to warrant this, it means it's not a $599 console and is in line with Sony's comments that they want people to transition over to next gen asap

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It doesn't necessarily has to be so expensive in these times. If Sony is partnering with Delta, it might mean that Delta also need these kind of deals, because there are not many flights and some airlines are going bankrupt.

Also, If Sony is making sure that there is supply, it means that the price won't be high.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Era be like:

HISTwcA.gif

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
"Air freight is faster than sea, but more expensive."

Everything we've heard about the PS5 makes it seem it won't be $400.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they're not being so aggressive with manufacturing & distribution just to push a $600 console. That price point was never a serious possibility.

NeoSabin

Aug 12, 2019
very. My uncle works in air and sea freight and i interned there a while back. Air freight is like 4-5X more expensive. At least it used to be precovid. Not sure what it is now.

Sea freight takes like nearly a month to get here while air freight can be days

Reading this and now I'm wondering if it's for an earlier than planned release.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
"Air freight is faster than sea, but more expensive."

Everything we've heard about the PS5 makes it seem it won't be $400.

Doesn't have anything to do with the price of the console. PS4 and Switch used air freight too and they were 399 and 299 respectively.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
*Phil Spencer fires up Flight Simulator*

Phil: Alright, I'm in. Tell me exactly what I need to do to get those PS5 flights off course and delayed

Flight Sim dev: Sir, it doesn't work that way....

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony Interactive Entertainment does have a huge bank, so it won't make a huge dent, but their fourth quarter might not be in the black.

Well they've certainly made a lot of money during the PS4 era, especially the last five years where they were making money on consoles sold and not just digital and physical game/ subscription sales. But with this new gen, I think at least the first year or two will be very loss-driven in order to build up a solid base of PS5 players to get back to their PS4-era profits, or as close to it as they can.

Certainly looks like PS5 costs more to make than PS4 did in 2013.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think you deicde the console price, that usually lasts for 2 year at least, because of how you ship first batch of consoles
Fair point, but at the same time this kind of additional cost makes the loss a bit harder to swallow at launch. I guess it's worth the loss if you can secure a big platform lead.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony intended to sell a console >$499.99, I don't think they would be doubling production and air shipping consoles.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
MS is an odd case because they need to set aside some #s to be dedicated for Xcloud blades. So they're not really up to meeting demand as much as Sony when they have a service to sell.

This is wrong, they aren't doing the Xcloud blades until next year. They said those updates would be done in 2021.