• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
This is a weird thread lol. Where is the one about all the others skipping Gamescom so far?

And how can you pull out if you haven't stuck it in for the past several years?

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Me rn with my PS5 and Demon's Souls

untitled9ikp2.png
LOL.

Optimistic past me actually bought Demon's Souls Remake when it came out, it's the only PS5 game I own. Still waiting for the PS5.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
No they didn't, they were there in 2018 and 2019 as well.

It has everything to do with COVID, they aren't going to send their employees to these massive tradeshows anytime soon.
Exactly. Ever since COVID, they have pulled out of a number of gaming events. And while they may not have had any plans for major news or conferences, their presence as has been missed.

They pulled out from PAX East in 2020 and 2022, due to COVID, and haven't returned. PAX West has been the same.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Honestly I don't see why the big companies wouldn't be completely rethinking their entire annual marketing schedules in light of the pandemic and E3 going away.

Also: there WILL be companies that still go though, developers, other publishers, etc. so we'll still get PS games announcements, just not first party.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With so many publishers dropping out over the years Gamescom will probably focus more and more on becoming a celebration of gaming culture and communities / influencer-stuff.

Waiting 2+ hours in line for a 10 minute hands-on demo of an anticipated game was never worth it for the regular visitor anyway.

The usual game announcements from Sony, Nintendo, etc. will come wether they still attend these shows or not.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Erm...Sony stopped attending gamescom in 2018. This has nothing to do with Covid.
Sony stopped doing press conferences, but they've always had a consumer presence at gamescom.

No Sony, no Nintendo, no Activision Blizzard, no Take-Two, no Wargaming (understandably) ... that's a lot of empty floor space.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There was zero expectation for them to do a conference I can't think of the last time they did a show at Gamescom, even when they were doing conferences it was usually Paris Games Week.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Is Geoff doing the Opening Night Live thing again this year? Possible Sony, Xbox and others may just show a couple things there rather than physically attending the actual convention/show.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
These trade shows do very little to benefit Sony, especially considering the gargantuan cost to attend. I'm surprised Microsoft is still there tbh

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope Gamecom doesn't vanish in obscurity after "everyone" is pulling out this year. Was nice to have such a huge gaming convention right around the corner even though I barely attended it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
and you know this how? do you know their budgets? do you know their metrics on what it does for them? speculation
I mean, the proof is in the fact that they haven't found it valuable enough to attend for four years lol. it's speculation based on pretty solid assumption. are you under the impression Sony has spent every year since 2018 gong "damn it, I wish we had Gamescom this year to boost our numbers"?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Lame. The last show I saw Sony at was NYCC in 2019. They're there for people to play their games early. COVID spooked them.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the proof is in the fact that they haven't found it valuable enough to attend for four years lol. it's speculation based on pretty solid assumption. are you under the impression Sony has spent every year since 2018 gong "damn it, I wish we had Gamescom this year to boost our numbers"?
we all dont know for sure, so your statement is misaligned

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I saw Germany added over 100K new covid cases today via worldometer. I wonder if the event happening is in jeopardy

Just a normal day in Germany.
It is the new omicron variant.

Germany mostly switched to infection reproduction measurement, they try to track how many people get infected by one person.
Those numbers are low with the new variant.
Also hospitalization rate is tracked, which is stable and not rising.

Of course it is the question what a new variant will bring to the table.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of resources and money needed to have a presence at these things probably starts to make less and less sense when you can drop a video on YouTube and get just as much, if not more, engagement with consumers.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just a normal day in Germany.
It is the new omicron variant.

Germany mostly switched to infection reproduction measurement, they try to track how many people get infected by one person.
Those numbers are low with the new variant.
Also hospitalization rate is tracked, which is stable and not rising.

Of course it is the question what a new variant will bring to the table.

Good news is that so far no variant since Alpha has been more deadly than the previous. Seems like the biggest concern going forward will be the long covid symptoms that are still largely unknown

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah tradeshows are def dead imo, prob see the industry evolve into more of the GDC, types of stuff for most things vs the tradeshows across the board esp when game dev is a lot more involved and longer term its like what are we really doing here lol.

yep, esp for direct to consumer businesses like videogames.

I think there's still some value in trade shows where you have a middle man... a friend of mine owns a trailer parts/boat/vehicle seller store, where almost all sales are done through licensed middle-men like my friend's business. For him it makes sense to send an employee to the annual trailer/boat/etc trade shows, see all the new products and how they work, so that they can then turn around and sell them to consumers or other businesses.

But for osmething like videogames, or even consumer electronics like phones, computers, etc, increasingly consumers are happy to do the research themselves and don't need a trade show to get into the company hype. Now shows like CES are more and more about business sales, major institutional purchases, not the $1000 Microsoft tablet or $800 phone.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yep, esp for direct to consumer businesses like videogames.

I think there's still some value in trade shows where you have a middle man... a friend of mine owns a trailer parts/boat/vehicle seller store, where almost all sales are done through licensed middle-men like my friend's business. For him it makes sense to send an employee to the annual trailer/boat/etc trade shows, see all the new products and how they work, so that they can then turn around and sell them to consumers or other businesses.

But for osmething like videogames, or even consumer electronics like phones, computers, etc, increasingly consumers are happy to do the research themselves and don't need a trade show to get into the company hype. Now shows like CES are more and more about business sales, major institutional purchases, not the $1000 Microsoft tablet or $800 phone.
Yep exactly when it comes to B2B stuff, or trade shows like what you are describing def see that as a thing.

I do see maybe there could be more in-person Cons for games For fans. But. Showcasing new games etc its def purely an online, and making demos available experience.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Good news is that so far no variant since Alpha has been more deadly than the previous. Seems like the biggest concern going forward will be the long covid symptoms that are still largely unknown

There are surely some bad reports about long covid symptoms.
Atleast those symptoms doesn't seem to be in the high percentage.

I just hope that the pharma industry is interested in those symptoms, which might not be the case because of the low percentage.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Waste of money today, giant marketing event to accomplish something a digital show/even can with a shit ton less money and people.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure the big publishers care a lot about the trade shows now. When they create they own digital events it is both cheaper and allows them to better control the narrative.

Maybe next year they'll start to come back, but I'm not convinced.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sony stopped doing press conferences, but they've always had a consumer presence at gamescom.

No Sony, no Nintendo, no Activision Blizzard, no Take-Two, no Wargaming (understandably) ... that's a lot of empty floor space.

Yeah, colossal costs - hundreds of thousands to attend a show like that - and what do they even get out of it?

Funny that eurogamer reported on it - they are owned by one of the world's largest events firms. And don't run Gamescom :D

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Relevance of tradeshows aside It probably also doesn't help that God of War Ragnarok seems like the one big thing they have until like Q2 2023.

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? Sony attended every single Gamescom up until 2019.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing. This is the first time (excluding during the pandemic of course) they are not there.

Did they really pull out or were they not attending in the first place? Iirc they haven't attended in years.

Nope, see above. ;)

Drachen

May 3, 2021
User warned: Platform wars. Trolling.
That makes sense. You typically don't show movies at Gamescom.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The more interesting part is they have seemingly also confirmed to be completely skipping Opening Night Live as well:
PlayStation will not be attending Gamescom 2022.

The information was announced via German publication Games Wirtschaft, which confirmed with the platform holder that it won't be going to Cologne this year and won't have announcements in the Opening Night Live.

This would be the first show in a while by Geoff Keighley that Sony has no presence at, which will also mean TLOU Remake will have to be marketed individually via a dedicated SoP until launch.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I will never understand people who say good it's a waste of money, why does that matter to anyone. It's a good thing to do for the community and it is nice to have community events like this and companies pulling out to save money is a dumb thing to champion, it's not like its one or the other and there won't be any digital events. Worrying about if it's a benefit for any of these companies or if it's a waste of money or not is very strange and I don't understand why people are worrying about their bottom line.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
No they didn't, they were there in 2018 and 2019 as well.

It has everything to do with COVID, they aren't going to send their employees to these massive tradeshows anytime soon.
COVID is the reason for them not doing the show at all this year but they were definitely reducing their presence at shows like this even pre-pandemic. Even pre-pandemic Sony was reducing their presence at most conventions. Between that, leaving E3 and reducing their presence at TGS even pre-pandemic it seemed like Sony's plan was to eventually if not not pull out of doing most conventions entirely then at least greatly reduce their presence at most of them.

I genuinely wonder if they return to doing more than one big show a year in a real big way? I say that as I bet they'll have a physical presence at Summer Games Fest next year along with maybe a live keynote from there and that'll probably resemble Sony's E3 presence from the past but other than that they'll probably have some small booth spaces at various other conventions and that's it. If Keighly does Opening Night Live at Gamescom they'll probably be a part of that going forward as well. I doubt they really go big at almost any conventions other than maybe Summer Games Fest going forward and that's probably true of most big game companies. They'll do something bigger at E3 or Summer Games Fest, they'll take part in Opening Night Live and they'll have small to moderately sized booths at conventions that aren't E3 or Summer Games Fest and that'll be the extent of their presence at most conventions.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, colossal costs - hundreds of thousands to attend a show like that - and what do they even get out of it?

Funny that eurogamer reported on it - they are owned by one of the world's largest events firms. And don't run Gamescom :D
Some publishers were easily spending between €500,000-1,000,000 on gamescom.

Square Enix had a 2,800 sqm presence in 2019 (with over 2,000 sqm for the consumer area).

b2b.gamescom.global

Stand cost calculation

What does a stand at gamescom cost? Calculate the stand costs here online.

That would cost somewhere between €330,000-450,000 this year. Now add:

+ actual cost of the two booths (consumer + business) itself.
+ staff
+ travel expenses/food
+ hotel rooms
+ promotional goodies
+ potential off-site event (community party)
+ additional marketing costs

www.youtube.com

FFXIV @ gamescom 2019

Ein riesiges DANKESCHÖN an alle Krieger der Dunkelheit – gemeinsam haben wir die gamescom 2019 gerockt!In diesem Video lassen wir alle Highlights nochmal Rev...
www.youtube.com

Avengers, Final Fantasy 7 e Disinformazione | Giro Stand SQUARE ENIX Gamescom 2019

Altro stand, altro giro: Alessio Pianesani ci porta a scoprire lo stand Square Enix alla Gamescom 2019, tra Avengers, Final Fantasy 7 e disinformazione.----#...

For those interested: here are the Opening Night Live spot prices (Geoff Keighley hosted live event):
b2b.gamescom.global

gamescom Opening Night Live | gamescom

Be part of the gamescom opening ceremony and experience a spectacular live show with thousands of fans in the brand new Hall 1.