• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be limits to how closely Sony and Microsoft will be partners, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has said -- and that line will be drawn before the PlayStation and Xbox brands are mixed.

"Instead, Sony's main focus for the coming years will be ensuring the smoothest possible transition between PlayStation 4 and the next generation of hardware. In a "networked world," Ryan told the FT, the emphasis must be on ensuring that the army of PS4 users stays with PlayStation."

More here: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...eAseLrq6TWIbOXnqiuDtFPjt_hUtWDcyNiakDsmfybGA0

Crossplay me if old.

Nov 3, 2017
The leader always feels that way and it makes sense as to why and while I admire their confidence perhaps they should see how the next gen rolls on before making such grandiose statements

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I feel like they will.live to regret saying this
tenor.gif

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I see what he's saying, and it makes sense. Why would they want PlayStation and Xbox to become one in the same?

I mean, it isn't. You saying that assumes that Sony not choosing to make PlayStation and Xbox one in the same is unethical in relation to your rights as a consumer. It isn't. Stop using that word incorrectly. It's embarrassing.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sony's playing a dangerous game as Microsoft continues to blur the lines between Xbox and W10, which will always eclipse Sony's install base.

They need to spend more time improving remote play and getting the PS5 on more screens.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
There is really nothing controversial in saying that. In fact, it's so completely obvious that would be their stance that it's bizarre that he even felt the need to say it. Same way Amazon and Netflix won't merge.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
2020 is going to be one hell of a year. No doubt.

Sony are in prime position with industry leading studios.
MS have finally pulled the war chest out for Xbox.

I love it.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, that's cool. At some point I'll both have PS5 and Scarlet. Thing is I like Xbox better as a gaming platform, but it's their right.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How is it anticonsumer to say you won't be joining forces with a competitor?

I mean I've said before I think that the idea that consumers necessarily or even typically benefit from competition is a false doctrine meant to perpetuate capitalism and in that sense I guess I agree with the notion, but I think it stretches "anti-consumer", an already deeply abused word, to a point that it has become wholly meaningless.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I've said before I think that the idea that consumers necessarily or even typically benefit from competition is a false doctrine meant to perpetuate capitalism and in that sense I guess I agree with the notion, but I think it stretches "anti-consumer", an already deeply abused word, to a point that it has become wholly meaningless.

Nah, monopolies in non essential industries general suck and just become lazy and don't care about consumers. Even monpoliges of regulated essential industries tend to take their customers for granted and behave rather poorly. Competition matters, but I think we're very quickly moving away from hardware platforms to services and software. Microsoft is pushing it because it benefits them , and they will probably put Xbox on everything eventually.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nah, monopolies in non essential industries general suck and just become lazy and don't care about consumers.

I mean more in the sense that both competition and monopolistic industries can be net negatives for consumers but mostly because the forces of capitalism encourage it, even with attempts to compete on things like price. I'm of the general belief that the consolidation is worse mainly on account of profit motive, and in situations where profit motive is eliminated (i.e., everything is made public) the consolidation is actually a good thing because it prevents market fragmentation, but then when you get rid of profit motive I'd argue what you're talking about becomes closer to public/collective ownership, which is distinct from what is generally meant by monopoly.

I think a case can be made that market fragmentation is also anti-consumer but it's also pretty inevitable in software markets where fragmentation and proprietary formats are basically the only things that allow for product differentiation and thus pricing controls.

This is why I say my piece about desiring creative works to be funded primarily by grants and placed in the public domain so often.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Using the word army is like a dog whistle for console warriors to join the great battle.

It's a hobby and fun.. you can like all the systems you want it's not an either/or.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There is really nothing controversial in saying that. In fact, it's so completely obvious that would be their stance that it's bizarre that he even felt the need to say it. Same way Amazon and Netflix won't merge.
Also, a very pro consumer stance. Why? Competition is good, hence why I don't personally mind when PS4, Nintendo and XBox have exclusive games, timed exclusives and etc.. I genuinely believe that this is good for the market. If it wasn't for Nintendo's stubbornness, I wouldn't own a Switch, neither get excited for exclusives like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. "But wouldn't you prefer to play just in one console", some might say, my understanding is that having this competition in the videogame market is what it keeps it healthy, and I don't see myself getting into the whole streaming thing that Microsoft and Google are selling simply because internet speed barely can deliver 4K streaming content, imagine games.

While it might be controversial to some, other than wanting to have cross-play, I thank Sony, Nintendo and now Epic for making the market give options to the consumer other than all being under one big umbrella.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't sound like the PlayStation division was very happy about Sony joining with Azure.

Status
Not open for further replies.