• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the new PS5 cameras is come with standard USB cable. So, what converter is needed for PS4 cameras to work on PS5?

Of course the PS5 camera has a USB cable since the PS5 only has USB-A and USB-C ports on it. The PS4 camera has a proprietary connector which is essentially USB so it needs an adapter in order to be able to connect to a standard USB port.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Press/Influences weren't sent one either:

Doesn't look like we are even going to get impressions of the improvements before launch.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Looks like the new PS5 cameras is come with standard USB cable. So, there's a any USB converter for PS4 cameras to work on PS5?

People have said they have seen them on eBay and such to convert the camera to work on PC. I will be very interested to hear if this actually works or not once someone with one of these adapters tries it. I'm 50/50 on whether it will or not. Not because of any technical problem with the adapter but I am not sure the PSVR support on PS5 firmware is ready yet.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
yknow, I have 2 cameras. I might try just cutting one and splicing instead of waiting for the adapter if it's not available early on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised not everyone is getting the Pulse 3D headset. You'd think they'd want people hyping up Tempest 3D audio.

3D audio on PS5 works with any run-of-the-mill set of headphones. If anything its good that they didn't send them to everyone because people might think that headset is needed for 3D audio.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
3D audio on PS5 works with any run-of-the-mill set of headphones. If anything its good that they didn't send them to everyone because people might think that headset is needed for 3D audio.

Yes, I understand that but not everyone is going to be playing with headsets. By sending them the Pulse 3D headset, since I don't expect Sony to send another brand headset instead, it guarantees that they all have a headset to use and it makes it more likely that they'll check out Tempest 3D audio and give their impressions of it.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
This thread is absolutely wild. Folks have sold their PS4s weeks before the PS5 arrives and therefore can't play ANY PS4 gamesā€¦and they're mad that there might be a few days extra wait for Sony to ship them an adapter in the mail to play PS4 VR?

"But the value of my PS4 is going to drop unless I sell it now!": Pretty sure the market's priced in a lot of that obsolescence drop already and PS5 scarcity for the next couple months isn't going to plunge it much further...

"But that info was crucial purchasing information that determined if I should get a PS5 yet!" What's the counterfactual? Be informed about this and decide NOT to preorder a PS5 for launch and hang onto your PS4 for the time being? I thought everybody was worried their resale value was gonna drop off if they kept their PS4 past Nov 12...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I understand that but not everyone is going to be playing with headsets. By sending them the Pulse 3D headset, since I don't expect Sony to send another brand headset instead, it guarantees that they all have a headset to use and it makes it more likely that they'll check out Tempest 3D audio and give their impressions of it.

They all have a list of embargoed items and 3D audio is certainly on it. They are all well aware of the feature set and what they need to cover, Sony gave them the full rundown. Again, having coverage of 3D audio from someone using $5 earbuds is probably more important/relevant to the average user than hearing games sound good on Sony's $100 headset.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
They all have a list of embargoed items and 3D audio is certainly on it. They are all well aware of the feature set and what they need to cover, Sony gave them the full rundown. Again, having coverage of 3D audio from someone using $5 earbuds is probably more important/relevant to the average user than hearing games sound good on Sony's $100 headset.

If someone has AirPods as their primary form of having a headset, they're not going to be able to test it. Just like someone who has a soundbar isn't going to be able to test 7.1.4 Atmos output in games. Some will try it, some won't. Giving headsets with every system to game journalists and influencers just means everyone has them and everyone can give impressions without wondering if they have a headset that works on it or not. It's not like they weren't giving Pulse 3D headsets out at all. It's just surprising they wouldn't just include it with every system for these people since it will guarantee that they have access to something to try it out with. They can most certainly control the messaging that compatible headphones will also work but you would think they would want to promote Tempest 3D audio more by giving everyone a headset. Plus it doesn't hurt them to promote their own headset in the process because a lot of people want to know how it is anyway.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
it works with any headset, not exclusive to the Pulse 3Ds.

Read what I said above. I know it works with any headset. Not everyone is going to have a compatible headset at home and giving them headsets guarantees that they will have the ability to. I don't expect them to give out Astro headsets which is why I would expect them to give out their own to have that coverage. It has nothing to do with what is compatible but everything to do with making sure everyone who got a system will try it out.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
At this point just let me buy the fucking adapter for $5 on amazon

I would rather pay $5 and actually get it for launch or at least near launch

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Read what I said above. I know it works with any headset. Not everyone is going to have a compatible headset at home and giving them headsets guarantees that they will have the ability to. I don't expect them to give out Astro headsets which is why I would expect them to give out their own to have that coverage. It has nothing to do with what is compatible but everything to do with making sure everyone who got a system will try it out.

What kind of tech reviewer or games journalist isn't going to have some kind of compatible headset or headphones? Hell, they could run down to Target and buy a pair of $10 Gumys to test. These people are professionals.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

who is out there doing tech / gaming reviews that doesn't have a compatible headset though? can't be a very significant number of journalists / influencers etc.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of tech reviewer or games journalist isn't going to have some kind of compatible headset or headphones? Hell, they could run down to target and buy a pair of $10 Gumys to test. These people are professionals.

In the office, they would have that handy. Working at home because of a pandemic? They might not have all the resources available. I'm a former game journalist who wrote for major publications and have gotten free systems in the past from the manufacturers. Back then, I didn't use headphones because I had a full 5.1 surround sound setup. I still don't because I use my surround sound setup. I'm actually curious for the first time and actively looking at headphones now because of this push for more 3D binaural audio for headphones. Around the house right now we have a set of AirPods Pro and a Bluetooth headset. Neither are compatible. Had I not left the profession and was still covering it today, I personally would not have a set of headphones to test it out with. People at home don't necessarily have every form of sound setup to test. Some use headphones, some use soundbars, and some use full surround sound setups. I don't think it's reasonable to expect game journalists working from home to have all that equipment at their disposal either. Do you honestly expect every single person who got a PS5 to have a compatible headset, soundbar, and a 7.1.4 Atmos setup? That's not to say that they can't do great coverage, but you're leaving it in the hands of assuming everyone has the ability to test it out when Sony can control that by supplying them one. Plus, you would think they would want to promote their new headset anyway along with Tempest 3D audio anyway. If it was simply them having some new headset, I could understand more not sending that around, but they're trying to push a new feature of the system.

who is out there doing tech / gaming reviews that doesn't have a compatible headset though? can't be a very significant number of journalists / influencers etc.

See above.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Here's Sony telling you how the F to get one.

FAQ

PlayStationĀ® Official Site: Consoles, Games, Accessories & More

Explore the new generation PlayStation 4 and PS5 consoles - experience immersive gaming with thousands of hit games in every genre to rewrite the rules for what a PlayStation console can do.

Not sure if i did that right or not, entered my serial number and then got sent back to the start and can't get anywhere now.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony launches website to request a PSVR adapter for PS5

This thread has all the info you need now. Includes links to both websites, as you won't be able to find your listed country if you pick the wrong one. Keep trying your serial number over and over, even if it says it doesn't work and to contact support. It took me a bunch of deleting and re-pasting my number in for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.