• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Sony has stated the PS5 and PSVR will be compatible through the use of a dongle that they have stated they will give away for free.

To the best of my knowledge, with less than three weeks until launch, they have NEVER said how or when someone will be able to aquire this mother fucker.

At this point it's clear, we won't be using the PSVR at launch.

We won't be able to see if the PS5 offers any performance or image quality enhancements.

I doubt I'm in the minority of people who will be selling their ps4 to offset the cost of their ps5 which means my PSVR for will be an expensive paperweight for a yet to be determined period of time.

What the fuck Sony?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's pretty dubious.

Interestingly the PS camera does use standard usb with a different connector.
I think there's already adaptors available for it. since prior have connected to pc.
It would be interesting if that's all you need.

Perhaps try tweeting at a journalist with a PS5 asking them to try it out.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it may demand your PS5 and PSVR serial numbers to request it, difficult to do so without a PS5.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone have to be so hostile around here? It's not like you won't be able to keep using your PS4 for you PSVR until you get the camera adapter. Christ...have some patients.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Why does everyone have to be so hostile around here? It's not like you won't be able to keep using your PS4 for you PSVR until you get the camera adapter. Christ...have some patients.

Some are selling / trading in their PS4's. This is a valid question, maybe not in a hostile manner, but valid.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's annoying yeah lol, but ultimately doesn't matter too much cuz you're gonna need proof of PS5 ownership to get it. so we'll be waiting till launch anyways.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Yea this is annoying, I also want to know if it plays 3d Blu ray. I'm worried the resale value of my pro will plummet shortly after launch.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They might sell it to get funds for their PS5. The sheer bootlicking that goes on here sometimes when calling out a lack of communication which should be known

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Then you're SOL. Like someone mentioned above you'll probably going to need a PS5 serial or something like that to get one. I doubt they are just going to start sending them out to anyone who asks for one without some sort of proof.
then they could you know say that instead of nothing

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
www.gameinformer.com

PSVR Is Backwards Compatible With PS5, But You'll Need A Different Camera

If you are looking forward to playing in PSVR on the next generation, there's one important omission that you'll need to know.
If you want to play PSVR, PS4 titles included, on your new PS5, you're going to need to keep your PS4 camera. You'll also need to use the included PS Camera adaptor, which thankfully comes with the system.

We should find out this week if this is true or not I guess since press just got their boxes.

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
www.gameinformer.com

PSVR Is Backwards Compatible With PS5, But You'll Need A Different Camera

If you are looking forward to playing in PSVR on the next generation, there's one important omission that you'll need to know.

We should find out this week if this is true or not I guess since press just got their boxes.
We've already seen the box contents and it doesn't make any mention on this.
IMG-20201024-112930.jpg

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
They might sell it to get funds for their PS5. The sheer bootlicking that goes on here sometimes when calling out a lack of communication which should be known
I'm not bootlicking anything. My initial post is more a response to the OP acting like it's the end of the world if they don't have a camera adapter day one or prior to the PS5 release date.

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Everyone who has stated you'll need a ps5 serial is likely correct, but surely proof of a PSVR ownership should be enough.

I understand the logical counter argument to that is maybe people would order them who don't need them but I doubt that would be a very large amount of people.

Deleted member 44122

there are still 3 weeks until launch, why are you freaking out about it right now? they already said psvr owners will get the adapter for free and it will happen around launch. just have a bit of patience, im sure youll live not being able to play it on ps5 for a few days.
sony has provided new ps5 info each week, more infos on the adapter will come in time

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I'm not bootlicking anything. My initial post is more a response to the OP acting like it's the end of the world if they don't have a camera adapter day one or prior to the PS5 release date.
I'm not acting like it's the end of the world. I'm calling sony out on their bullshit.
They knew that telling people their ps5 would work with their PSVR was going to be a large deciding factor on if people purchase a PS5 or not for people who own PSVR.
PSVR owners acted in good faith by preordering the system with this information in mind and Sony, is not returning the favour.

Perhaps my language used comes across as overly hostile but it's just my speech mannerisms.
That doesn't excuse that this is something we should at the very least know about by this point.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will get sorted eventually.

Your solution is for Jesus to become a doctor? I really don't see how that's relevant at all. 😂

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They knew that telling people their ps5 would work with their PSVR was going to be a large deciding factor on if people purchase a PS5 or not for people who own PSVR.

And it will. And they will provide you with the cable for free. But as you need to show proof of purchase of a PS5 to get one, how did you expect to receive this day one?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, I wish they'd communicate this already. Can't help it but think that it feels like a shitshow waiting to happen.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this. Like just wait it's a launch. They will announce more stuff over time.

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
And it will. And they will provide you with the cable for free. But as you need to show proof of purchase of a PS5 to get one, how did you expect to receive this day one?
That's an assumption. And not an ideal solution for people who are early adopters of your tech, and also adopters of your niche tech. Allow me to provide proof of my PSVR instead of PS5

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I tweeted at AskPlaystation and got nothing. It is quite frustrating that they don't seem have their ducks in a row with this particular issue.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
They've been putting PS5s into mass production since June, if they all came with the PSVR adapter Sony would have said that.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There are three weeks until launch. That's three weeks to tell you how to get one. Chill.

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
There are three weeks until launch. That's three weeks to tell you how to get one. Chill.
You think they're gonna be able to tell people how to get one and ship them out in time for it to be usable at launch?? You have much more faith in them than I do, based on their track record so far.

Serviam

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm sure they did say in a blog post months ago that we would be able to order it from them for free.
Dunno why everyone keeps forgetting that

(Edit: spelling error, shitty phone, sloppy fingers)

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has stated the PS5 and PSVR will be compatible through the use of a dongle that they have stated they will give away for free.

To the best of my knowledge, with less than three weeks until launch, they have NEVER said how or when someone will be able to aquire this mother fucker.

At this point it's clear, we won't be using the PSVR at launch.

We won't be able to see if the PS5 offers any performance or image quality enhancements.

I doubt I'm in the minority of people who will be selling their ps4 to offset the cost of their ps5 which means my PSVR for will be an expensive paperweight for a yet to be determined period of time.

What the fuck Sony?

And nobody is forcing you to buy one before you know this information or before the dongle is available. Is this overreaction really necessary? If you're not happy then don't buy one until Sony earns your purchase.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Presumably when whatever program they're setting up to make the adapter available is ready they'll tell us.

No need to panic yet.

Good job proving their point about overly hostile posting with your unwarranted insult there.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any third party adapters out there? I guess the adapter will be the PS Camera port to USB (C or A).

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I'm, shtetl did say in a blog post months ago that we would be able to order it from them for free.
Dunno why everyone keeps forgetting that

That's not the issue. Please read the OP.

And nobody is forcing you to buy one before you know this information or before the dongle is available. Is this overreaction really necessary? If you're not happy then don't buy one until Sony earns your purchase.
You're correct. But if you believe that Sony didn't have a meeting with the marketing and product teams where they specifically said "we need to get this messaging out before pre-orders go up so that PSVR owners know it's safe to pre-order a PS5", then I don't know what to tell you.
They want you to buy the console in good faith and aren't returning that same good faith. The entire communication strategy has been deliberately vague until it suits them on a number of things, including this, backwards compatibility, disc drive capabilities. It's shady shit.

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Presumably when whatever program they're setting up to make the adapter available is ready they'll tell us.

No need to panic yet.

Good job proving their point about overly hostile posting with your unwarranted insult there.
The point of all this is we have NO IDEA when they'll be available. Will it be shortly after launch? Will it be 6 months? A year? They're doing a shit job of communicating this to people who have bought their products and they've made promises those products will continue to work in order to secure sales of their new product.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It would be nice to have it day one. There are some Japanese PSVR bundles out now that come with it supposedly.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I'm not acting like it's the end of the world. I'm calling sony out on their bullshit.
PSVR owners acted in good faith by preordering the system with this information in mind and Sony, is not returning the favour.

Perhaps my language used comes across as overly hostile but it's just my speech mannerisms.
That doesn't excuse that this is something we should at the very least know about by this point.
They always said you can use PSVR with PS5 with an adaptor. You're just being impatient. They are not going to start sending out adaptor before PS5 releases. Once PS5 releases, they will put out a web page where you can put in a serial number for PS4 Camera, perhaps a PSVR unit and a PS5 console to claim one.

Lets take Microsoft for example. This is how you could claim a free kinect adapter when the program was open.

1. Collect the serial numbers for your original Xbox One console, Xbox One S console and Kinect sensor. If you plan to trade in your original Xbox One console, it's crucial you collect the original console's serial number beforehand.

2. Contact Xbox Support and request your free adapter. You'll be asked to hand over your three serial numbers, so make sure these are nearby.

Before contacting Xbox Support, it's recommended that you register your two consoles and Kinect sensor online. If registered prior to the call, the Xbox supervisor can quickly pull the serial numbers from your Microsoft account.

This was to ensure there were no fraudulent claims for some people claiming adapter and selling them.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are selling their PS4s now because their value is going to drop after launch, or so they can afford a PS5 in the first place. It would be nice for those people to know when and how they can use their headset on the PS5.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You think they're gonna be able to tell people how to get one and ship them out in time for it to be usable at launch?? You have much more faith in them than I do, based on their track record so far.

OK, say you get one tomorrow. What then? It's useless until the PS5 arrives. There's 3 weeks (4 in some regions). Just... Focus your energies on other things dude. This isn't where you should be getting angry

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy I get why you are pissed, I get it, I really do....frustration sucks.

That said, I can't find any location where Sony has said that they would let you know how to play your PSVR at launch. All I can find is things saying you will be able to with a special cable at some point, and that details will be made available when ready...

If you purchased a PS5 with the expectation that you would 100% be able to use your PSVR with it day one, that is on you. If you can show me anywhere where Sony has said it would work day one than I will take that back, but honestly I can't find anywhere where they have stated that.

OP
OP
RumHam

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
OK, say you get one tomorrow. What then? It's useless until the PS5 arrives. There's 3 weeks (4 in some regions). Just... Focus your energies on other things dude. This isn't where you should be getting angry
I'm not angry. I can't get one today. I'm willing to bet you I won't be able to get one in less than three weeks either. We dont even know HOW to get them yet. Let alone when. That's the point.

If you don't want to engage in the discussion you can see yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.