• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think they're gonna bring SOCOM back next gen seeing how the whole modern military shooter got a shot in the arm last fall with CoD. As for the others, I'd just like to see them made available to play.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of these are super powerful brands. You can absolutely cash in on nostalgia as proven with Crash, Spyro and Final Fantasy but if a game sold a million copies on the PS2, how many of those people are even still gaming? Maybe Jak & Daxter was big enough but who's gonna make a new one? Do fans want a new Jak & Daxter by Sucker Punch? Does Sucker Punch want to make a new Jak & Daxter? Naughty Dog does not want to make Jak & Daxter games.

Sony's pre-PS3 brands are probably not very valuable on today's market with the exception of those that never died like God of War and Ratchet & Clank. Might as well create new IPs.

I do think something like SOCOM would work in today's climate but it would require a competent studio and commitmetment to turn it into a live service game.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure rebooting it as a battle royale type game would even work.
I used to believe it was the only way SOCOM could return in this day. It works too well when you actually think about it.

Series is more well known for being small scale, so while there would be 100 people, most battles would still be small scale skirmishes. SOCOMers want no respawn, one life matters and that's BR. Parachuting in? Works. Emotes? SOCOM had dancing in 2003. Skins? Had that too. Monetization was there. Use old maps as POIs like COD.

Anyways, that's my way of saying SOCOM is still viable and I still believe it could be as a traditional 8v8 game too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would just be happy with some new RPGs. I really don't need revivals of dead PS2 games, I just want some RPGs, damn it. :/

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They could make those, or they could make money.

You don't think a new Jak or SOCOM would make bank? Ratchet PS4 is the best selling game in the series, and look at how well Crash and Spyro's remakes did. The PS audience is thirsty for those games. And i've felt SOCOM could do really well for a while. It's still a pretty unique game even today.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would be in for a SOCOM IP reboot, but the rest are better left alone.

Sep 28, 2019
Who would make these games? Do you seriously want Naughty Dog to make a new Jak and Daxter instead of a another The Last of Us or a new IP? I do think a new Socom could do pretty well today though.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think a new Jak or SOCOM would make bank?
Anecdotal, I still have people I met through SOCOM, occasionally reach out to me to ask if I've heard anything -- these are people who largely dropped gaming because they were mostly hardcore SOCOM fans. Even with the people I still play games with on a regularly basis, SOCOM comes up at least once every other month. I'm not claiming it would do gangbusters, but I think there is a good number of people to support an online only game for a number of years.

$100m dollar AAA extravaganza? Hell no, I wouldn't even green light that and I'm a hardcore fan that believes in the brand.
A SOCOM 2 Online Remastered to test the waters? Hell yeah I'd be willing to take that chance.

Too bad Saber got snatched up, because playing WWZ gave me some SOCOM vibes in terms of camera distance and character movement.

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to happen.

Sony leaned into nostalgia hard to market the PS4, and ended up being the most isolated and insular console they've ever released in terms of historical support.

Jan 4, 2018
If any of Sony's developers are passionate about those IPs and come up with a good pitch, then I see no reason why they wouldn't get greenlit. However, Sony is not going to mandate that a studio work a specific franchise. And nor should they because that's a terrible way to run a studio and an even worse way to foster an environment that people at the top of their craft want to be a part of. So I feel pretty comfortable in saying that there probably hasn't been a lot of hunger to work on most of those games at WWS recently. I mean, we know ND started working on Jak 4, but it wasn't coming together and ultimately wasn't what they wanted to pursue at the time.

Now Sony could try to outsource them to third party/indie devs like they did with Sly 4 or the MediEvil remake for instance. But, honestly, it seems like when Sony does that type of thing, they settle for the bare minimum and don't put the full weight of their marketing department behind them. And I don't think anyone wants that. Even Ratchet (2016), while personally a great game in my opinion, should have been given way more time and money.

Feb 8, 2018
Ps2 Socom was decent. The question with older IP's is always how much identity they lose in case of a sequel/reboot. Apart from the big change, Half Life:Alyx is a great example of how it's done correctly based on released videos. Even if one of these get announced you'll do yourself a favor to wait for release. 3D action platformers are a no brainer next-gen you'll definitely see them. Sly 4 is funny totally forgot about that one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
They should definitely have more platformers like that gen. Jak especially would be cool, or some new ones.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Making your devs work on niche franchises that were never that successful or letting them work on something they actually want to do. Hmm, tough choice.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Jak was nowhere near popular as his contemporaries were (Crash, Ratchet, even Sly) but I honestly wouldn't mind rebooting the series altogether.

Something like Ratchet but not throwing away what made the original so good... like Ratchet.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I would honestly much prefer a spiritual successor to Dark Cloud that can go multiplat instead of Dark Cloud 3. The gameplay loop is too good and it would be great to play portably but Sony sadly is out of the portable market.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I would kill for a new Dark Cloud. One of my favorite PS2 games.

How they never made a third one while a second Ni No Kuni, 73 Inazuma Eleven and 38 Yo-Kai-Watch exist is beyond me.
These are literally their first 2 games as a company and people want a third one for 2 f'n decades.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be nice, although at this point I'd be happy with just PS5 Enhanced versions of the originals and put most of the effort into new or newish IPs.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It's that simple. I will never understand why people want the same shit over and over again. Those games were once new and fresh and we should expect the same from future games instead of craving the tried and true.

Why make an entirely new monkey capturing game series when the one we have still has so much potential for growth?

Edit: I also think the reason for such a large divide in the Playstation fanbase in terms of "what people want" has to do with the how inaccessible many PS2 games have become due to Sony not at all prioritizing backwards compatibility or allowing/pursuing PC ports of older exclusives. Playstation 3 had a ton of HD collections for PS2 games which are now just languishing on a console not many still have.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
People who know they are only interested in big majestic New IP going into every thread about sequels or revisits to complain that other people enjoy revisiting things gets really tiring, honestly.

Sony is a really big company with a lot of resources and a great 3rd party outsourcing team that can make both happen. They have done plenty of AA level sequels and remaster/remakes with partners already.

I also feel like a lot of you are really underestimating the value of some of these series, as well.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I just miss bright, colorful, more lighthearted games. Things like Crash, Dark Cloud, Gravity Rush, Spyro, Jak, etc.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
People who know they are only interested in big majestic New IP going into every thread about sequels or revisits to complain that other people enjoy revisiting things gets really tiring, honestly.

Sony is a really big company with a lot of resources and a great 3rd party outsourcing team that can make both happen. They have done plenty of AA level sequels and remaster/remakes with partners already.

I also feel like a lot of you are really underestimating the value of some of these series, as well.

100% this; there's absolutely no reason Sony can't do both new and old stuff, or at least work on making their older catalog more accessible.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
As the Crash, Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, RE2, RE3, etc.. remakes show, nostalgia sells.

I think a new Jak, a new Dark Cloud, a new Siphon Filter, etc... would all sell very well.
None of those games come anywhere close to the nostalgia level of the remakes you listed.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
plateforming collectathon games are a very niche genre. You can't invest big studio to make these anymore.
Crash sold insanely well but it was way more iconic and popular that Jak ever was, lets not even talk about Sly.
Do you really want to see Jak come back as AA ? Like Yooka Laylee ?

Are you familiar with Jak beyond the first game? Because the series continued to modernize itself in the trilogy.

You are describing just the Jak 1, which I believe the series doesn't solely credit for all the fan love it gets. Jak 2 made the series an action combat platformer, with open hub to traverse (in the vein of GTA). Jak 3 took everything up a notch improving the combat and weapons gameplay, considerably expanding the openness of the areas, and putting more of a focus on the vehicular traversal for being bigger in scale.

Jak 4 could easily take those concepts and evolve them further while adding new elements to the series. I've expressed on Era that Jak could be the next "sequel reboot" for Sony as God of War PS4 was, making the series more modern while not abandoning the series roots and history.

Has anyone made a Jak game since Naughty Dog started doing Uncharted? It would have to be a new studio at this point taking over, no?

Pretty much, and that is a good thing in my eyes. Naughty Dog is in a different place and I'm sure they are eager to do a new IP after TLoU2.

Sony is not interested in pursuing mascot platformer games these days. They've said on numerous occasions that they're interested in creating story driven cinematic games

Let me stop you right there, Jak 2 was one of the earliest signs of their cinematic story driven impact SIE would make with their games. And it was a Naughty Dog game so this shouldn't shock you

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
They should make a dedicated series of remastered or reimagined PS2 classics and every game starts with the PS2 Start-up but then, the 2 turns upside down into a 5.
Boom.
Hire me Sony Marketing!

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Sony is not interested in pursuing mascot platformer games these days. They've said on numerous occasions that they're interested in creating story driven cinematic games and the majority of their output this generation reflects that.
When have they ever said that?

They literally mentioned just a few months back that Ratchet, a mascot platformer, was one of their flagship IPs.

And they pitched Activision the idea of reviving the Crash franchise and helped co-funded the remakes.

Oct 27, 2017
They could do this while continuing to make new IPs. Sony's PS2 output isn't something I personally cared about because I was all about the 3rd parties back then but I'm not going to complain if they start to remake all their classics from that era while still putting out whatever PS5's Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, or Horizon Zero Dawn end up being.

Personally I'm all for a MAG or Socom revival because the way things are going in the TPS genre leaves me depressed. If it's not some weird open world MMO looter shooter it's some crazy Battle Royale or Hero shooter. MAG or SOCOM or even a Unit 13 revival would be something new at this point because the genre went too far in the other direction.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, I still have people I met through SOCOM, occasionally reach out to me to ask if I've heard anything -- these are people who largely dropped gaming because they were mostly hardcore SOCOM fans. Even with the people I still play games with on a regularly basis, SOCOM comes up at least once every other month. I'm not claiming it would do gangbusters, but I think there is a good number of people to support an online only game for a number of years.

$100m dollar AAA extravaganza? Hell no, I wouldn't even green light that and I'm a hardcore fan that believes in the brand.
A SOCOM 2 Online Remastered to test the waters? Hell yeah I'd be willing to take that chance.

Too bad Saber got snatched up, because playing WWZ gave me some SOCOM vibes in terms of camera distance and character movement.

Yeah, I think some sort of remastered version of SOCOM 2 is a perfect candidate for a F2P game. Attach some sort of Battle Pass to it and I think the diehard SOCOM fans would be more than happy to support it for years. I think Warhawk (PS3) could work with a similar system.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'd adore a revist to Jak & Daxter on PS5, or even another Ratchet. The PS4 Ratchet title was a huge treat.
I just miss bright, colorful, more lighthearted games. Things like Crash, Dark Cloud, Gravity Rush, Spyro, Jak, etc.

I bought Ratchet & Clank 2016, Knack I+II, the MediEvil remake, Crash trilogy, Spyro trilogy, and CTR for this reason. Dreams is basically a 3D platform generator on PS4, too.

I feel like we had a bit of return-to-form when it comes to legacy PlayStation mascot games this gen.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox should make a new AAA Crimson Skies game too, but no one would buy it

Honestly new IP has been the reason to own a PS4. I don't see that changing with next gen.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Are you familiar with Jak beyond the first game? Because the series continued to modernize itself in the trilogy.

You are describing just the Jak 1, which I believe the series doesn't solely credit for all the fan love it gets. Jak 2 made the series an action combat platformer, with open hub to traverse (in the vein of GTA). Jak 3 took everything up a notch improving the combat and weapons gameplay, considerably expanding the openness of the areas, and putting more of a focus on the vehicular traversal for being bigger in scale.

Jak 4 could easily take those concepts and evolve them further while adding new elements to the series. I've expressed on Era that Jak could be the next "sequel reboot" for Sony as God of War PS4 was, making the series more modern while not abandoning the series roots and history.

I'm not familliar with Jak 3. I really didnt enjoy 2 : the open world didn't had anything but the shooting and jumping were so good. I still think Ratchet is the better jumping / shooting / charming game of the two franchise and it doesnt really need to be open world. Open levels are the best in Ratchet, it suffice itself