• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ueySYbK.gif

This cracks me up every time while I look with just a little horror.

The inner chasm is vast and scary.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Why get NIS to make a new Jeanne D'Arc when they could just get Level 5?

Hino is probably going to have to swallow his pride and work with other publishers if he wants Level 5 to survive.
NIS isn't doing much better, but I'd get L5 to make it if I was going to. It doesn't seem to be in current Sony's plans.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
just had a look at the list of sony IPs, they really do have a huge library of JRPG IPs:

- beyond the beyond
- blade dancer
- coded soul
- dark cloud
- destiny of spirits
- dual hearts
- folklore
- freedom wars
- jeanne d'arc
- kingdom of paradise
- legend of legaia
- monster kingdom
- oreshika
- popolocrois
- rogue galaxy
- soul sacrifice
- the legend of dragoon
- tsugunai: atonement
- untold legends
- white knight chronicles
- wild arms
Alundra also , it makes me mad that Sony has all these IPs that they don't use.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The problem is Sony doesn't give a shit about the Japanese market anymore. That's why they'll cling to Atlus and Bamco to make the games to get people to buy their consoles without having to try.

Like I get it too. Japanese games are niche and shitty superhero gaMes will outsell them a hundred fold.
I'm not gonna demand they cater to me.

Out of the big 3 Nintendo is the only putting out first party games that I'm interested in. :/

Enjoy your "hoomanz r teh rel zomboz" games I guess.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
You forwent mentioning that Legaia also has a wicked cool sense of style, one of the few JRPGs to feel like a cool ass battle shonen and successfully channel OTT shouty anime special moves, and were one of the few JRPGs on PS1 that along with Legend of Dragoon tried to compete with Final Fantasy (and in many ways surpass FF, imo) in making badass fist-pumping over-the-top special moves in glorious lo-fi 3D. And also that the game has some of the most glorious voice acting of any JRPG. Game does a lot with relatively little.

Seriously, Songi and Delilahs have some of the most stylish special moves of any RPG bosses ever. It's a shame there's no video compilation of boss attacks on YT.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Why sony should bring it back?

1. Legend of Legais is one of the few sony J-RPGs, sony needs to bring back its j-rpgs.

I mean...really? Let's be honest here- there was a LOT of junk released to capitalize on the popularity of Final Fantasy 7, and this is just another one on the pile.
Dragoon aside, none of these games sold well at all, and most were terrible.

Is anyone clamoring for another Beyond the Beyond? Anyone?

These things were a product of their time. Let them stay where they are.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I loved both this and the sequel. This and Xenogears have my favorite battle system.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...really? Let's be honest here- there was a LOT of junk released to capitalize on the popularity of Final Fantasy 7, and this is just another one on the pile.

the reviews arent bad

RPGamer 11/10/04 Review 4.25 out of 5
Game Boyz 07/06/04 Review n/a
Absolute PlayStation 03/01/99 Review 87 out of 100
Electric Playground 04/26/04 Review 6.5 out of 10
Independent Gamer 01/18/01 Review 3 out of 10
GameSpot 01/20/99 Review 7.3 out of 10
EGM 05/31/03 Review 7.87 out of 10
GamePro 05/23/03 Review 5 out of 5
Game Blitz 09/11/02 Review 75 out of 100
DarkStation 01/01/80 Review 7 out of 10

Here's the list of best-selling Japanese role-playing game franchises, the franchise is on it

also there's this list posted in 2004, of sales of j-rpgs in the US only, but i cant find the original source

2,457,962 Final Fantasy VII
1,913,888 Final Fantasy VIII
1,347,964 Final Fantasy IX
823,959 Legend of Dragoon
750,355 Final Fantasy Tactics
749,436 Parasite Eve
580,733 Chrono Cross
400,000 Final Fantasy Origins
363,546 Final Fantasy Anthology
297,878 Legend of Legaia
267,230 Parasite Eve II
261,086 Final Fantasy Chronicles
239,138 Xenogears
230,761 Breath of Fire III
222,763 Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
219,380 Vagrant Story
214,573 Wild ARMs
198,715 Brave Fencer Mushashi
177,147 Dragon Warrior VII
171,846 Suikoden

there's people that like this game

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Decent game, mind-bogglingly hard towards the end though. Loved the battle system. Still leagues better than that shit game Legend of Dragoon though.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think they need this and Wild Arms. Let Legaia be the testing ground for genre innovations while WA stays* a traditional JRPG.

*I know the recent ones were not at all traditional. Personally, I thought they were less good for it.

Decent game, mind-bogglingly hard towards the end though. Loved the battle system. Still leagues better than that shit game Legend of Dragoon though.
Between the Points Card and the potions that temporarily increase your stats but can be stacked infinitely, there really want much in this game that could stop you. Even Lapis went down in one combo (after a shitload of strength potions).

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Dude, not only did it have a fire battle system, but it had monster hunting as well. Story can be seen as a lil corny but it was entertaining and better than what we are getting today, plus it was hard as shit.

There was something magical about getting your parties combo inputs to do as many combos as you can on a boss, hoping that fucker dies.

And why does Dragoon gets props but this doesn't? It had better production but that's about all it has on Legaia. Legaias story is waaayy better and battle system is better.

If they remade LoL today with some QoL changes, it would take in 9's if not 10's...
Sony pisses me off sometimes, they need to settle whatever with Contrail to get this gem back in the hands of fans and people who didn't get a chance to play it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I really liked this game. I think it was the first RPG I played where I could see the armor and weapon changes reflected on screen in the battles.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I remember working out my inputs to squeeze in as many Arts as possible per turn. It would be like, punch, punch, Art, Art, Art, Art, Art, Art, Art. It was such a great battle system.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
fun game back in the day but playing it again, it really isn't a masterpiece or anything, the random encounters were way too frequent, and fights with even the most basic enemies were long and tedious.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Clemps did a video on this game a while back:

Anyway, while I don't expect a new game, they really should at least re-release/remaster this one for PS4. Like, all of their older games should be re-released for PS4 (now that we know PS5 BC is a thing), but Legaia *really* needs one, because the game's not available, even on PS3 as a PS1 classic.

Sony pisses me off sometimes, they need to settle whatever with Contrail to get this gem back in the hands of fans and people who didn't get a chance to play it.

I don't think there are any issues with Contrail. Contrail was one of a few Sony studios set up during the PS1 days to help push out more titles (other, more obscure studios that did this are ARC Entertainment and Sugar and Rockets). It and the others got re-absorbed back into Sony in 2000. There shouldn't be any rights issues with Contrail, and I don't think there are, as some of their bigger games (Wild Arms 2 and the Japan-only OreShika 1) have gotten re-releases. It's definitely not a Tomba situation.

With that said, yeah. The treatment of the Legaia series still hasn't been great. Like, Legaia 1 apparently had emulation issues, so I understand that. But Legaia 2? Not sure why that didn't even get a PS2 classics release, other than they canned the PS2 Classics line too quickly (which is possible, I guess)

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fun game back in the day but playing it again, it really isn't a masterpiece or anything, the random encounters were way too frequent, and fights with even the most basic enemies were long and tedious.
thats a commom critic to FF9 too, the inclusion of cheats was a QoL inclusion in the new ports of FF to speed the game, that made the experience more bearable to most people, but yeah i understand that random encounters + turn based can be irritating going back to ps1 rpgs

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I think they need this and Wild Arms. Let Legaia be the testing ground for genre innovations while WA stays* a traditional JRPG.

*I know the recent ones were not at all traditional. Personally, I thought they were less good for it.

Between the Points Card and the potions that temporarily increase your stats but can be stacked infinitely, there really want much in this game that could stop you. Even Lapis went down in one combo (after a shitload of strength potions).
I dunno if I realized that about the potions. But generally I avoided the point card because 1. IIRC doesn't it take quite a bit to get the damage needed? And 2) eh. I hoard items and never use them, reusable or no :P

Final Songi sucked though

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I realized that about the potions. But generally I avoided the point card because 1. IIRC doesn't it take quite a bit to get the damage needed? And 2) eh. I hoard items and never use them, reusable or no :P

Final Songi sucked though
If I remember right, the Point Card's damage increases by 1 for every 10 gold spent in a shop, topping out at 9999 (which is its biggest limitation, but if you have enough points on it, you can just keep using it because each use only reduces its balance by the damage done), and it ignores any defenses or immunities. I didn't use it myself because I'm a power leveler and never had trouble with anything except Lapis, but a friend of mine walked through all the regular bosses easily with it despite never really taking time to level up.

Stacking pots, though, you can easily get into the 5-figure damage range.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Clemps did a video on this game a while back:

Anyway, while I don't expect a new game, they really should at least re-release/remaster this one for PS4. Like, all of their older games should be re-released for PS4 (now that we know PS5 BC is a thing), but Legaia *really* needs one, because the game's not available, even on PS3 as a PS1 classic.

I don't think there are any issues with Contrail. Contrail was one of a few Sony studios set up during the PS1 days to help push out more titles (other, more obscure studios that did this are ARC Entertainment and Sugar and Rockets). It and the others got re-absorbed back into Sony in 2000. There shouldn't be any rights issues with Contrail, and I don't think there are, as some of their bigger games (Wild Arms 2 and the Japan-only OreShika 1) have gotten re-releases. It's definitely not a Tomba situation.

With that said, yeah. The treatment of the Legaia series still hasn't been great. Like, Legaia 1 apparently had emulation issues, so I understand that. But Legaia 2? Not sure why that didn't even get a PS2 classics release, other than they canned the PS2 Classics line too quickly (which is possible, I guess)

Uhm... I dunno, man. I thought it was rights issues with character designs n what not. Like, the reason this was never re-released digitally. That's what I've heard a while ago. Gonna look into it.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love a new Legend of Legaia, it was one of my favorite games from the gen. Also will throw my hat in for a new Wild Arms but leaning more to the combat style of WA 1,2 and 3, the hex battle system was off putting.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
Legend of Legaia sounded great on paper, but it really dragged in execution. The battle system was the main draw and it took so long to do anything and was also tedious. There was very little reason to experiment with combat options.

Also every single boss in the game did a super move every third turn and if you defended it the fight was a cakewalk. Just an embarrassing design choice.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man, I don't remember it looking that bad lol. Crazy what nostalgia can do to memory. I really liked the game tho. I thought the Combo system in battles was pretty dam awesome. I'd def play the game again if it came out.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't know why I loved that game as much as I did, but I still do love the shit of legend of legaia to this day. The game was super stingy about money and experience though and it artificially bloats the length of the game by a good deal. The soundtrack was ace though I still remember how heavy the mist generator themes were especially when you go in for the first time.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Back in August 2017, Yoshida and Atsushi Morita (the head of SIE JP and Japan Studio, who very recently retired) had this to say re: first party JRPGs:

Better than nothing I suppose.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Yo I love legend of legaia man. I even did a replay playthrough a few years ago.

A lot about it seems really archaic by todays standards.

The attack system can might as well be menus you select the commands from and discovering them is so easy now that internet is available to everyone.

The monster capture system where you must get the hp to a certain threshold with only a color of an arrow guiding you about its hp will be hell of a frustrating.

I have to say though that both things I mentioned above made the game really interesting back in the day.

Discovering new arts by making random guesses was cool. Seeing a capturable moster and seeing what it can do was exciting.

Overall legaia was a very interesting game for its time. I'd love a remake or remaster if it just means faster loading times between battles.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
the reviews arent bad

RPGamer 11/10/04 Review 4.25 out of 5
Game Boyz 07/06/04 Review n/a
Absolute PlayStation 03/01/99 Review 87 out of 100
Electric Playground 04/26/04 Review 6.5 out of 10
Independent Gamer 01/18/01 Review 3 out of 10
GameSpot 01/20/99 Review 7.3 out of 10
EGM 05/31/03 Review 7.87 out of 10
GamePro 05/23/03 Review 5 out of 5
Game Blitz 09/11/02 Review 75 out of 100
DarkStation 01/01/80 Review 7 out of 10

Standards for games have changed a TON since that game was released, and those reviews were written. It's a product of its time- a modern game that does the same thing would not be well received. The complete lack of any jrpgs not named FF or DQ (And DQ is notorious for not selling well in the west at all) having an impact is the best indicator of this. The market has moved on.

Here's the list of best-selling Japanese role-playing game franchises, the franchise is on it
also there's this list posted in 2004, of sales of j-rpgs in the US only, but i cant find the original source

2,457,962 Final Fantasy VII
1,913,888 Final Fantasy VIII
1,347,964 Final Fantasy IX
823,959 Legend of Dragoon
750,355 Final Fantasy Tactics
749,436 Parasite Eve
580,733 Chrono Cross
400,000 Final Fantasy Origins
363,546 Final Fantasy Anthology
297,878 Legend of Legaia
267,230 Parasite Eve II
261,086 Final Fantasy Chronicles
239,138 Xenogears
230,761 Breath of Fire III
222,763 Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
219,380 Vagrant Story
214,573 Wild ARMs
198,715 Brave Fencer Mushashi
177,147 Dragon Warrior VII
171,846 Suikoden

this proves my point. Other than Final Fantasy and Dragoon, nothing else sold at all. Parasite Eve is an action game with "rpg elements", it's not a turn based jrpg at all.

FF sells, and Dragoon inexplicably sold (though in the west only, iirc) but everything else was dead on arrival.

Chrono cross did a half a million, despite the money and marketing that went into that game. 25% of what FFVIII sold is absolutely not what square was expecting from that, which is why we haven't seen a true Chrono sequel since. Nobody bought the last game.

300K copies and below is flat out abysmal and says "there's no market" for those games.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
just had a look at the list of sony IPs, they really do have a huge library of JRPG IPs:

- beyond the beyond
- blade dancer
- coded soul
- dark cloud
- destiny of spirits
- dual hearts
- folklore
- freedom wars
- jeanne d'arc
- kingdom of paradise
- legend of legaia
- monster kingdom
- oreshika
- popolocrois
- rogue galaxy
- soul sacrifice
- the legend of dragoon
- tsugunai: atonement
- untold legends
- white knight chronicles
- wild arms

I have no idea why Sony can't pull a Nintendo and do a Monolith-like Strategy. Looking at the Xenoblade games, it doesn't look like it needs much of a budget, and if made well, could do decent sales on WoM. And if they can't come up with something new, dipping into the vault for ideas would a) give ideas b) earn a starting fan base.

That said, I'm crying that there will never be another wonderful experience like Popolocrois PSP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Standards for games have changed a TON since that game was released, and those reviews were written. It's a product of its time- a modern game that does the same thing would not be well received. The complete lack of any jrpgs not named FF or DQ (And DQ is notorious for not selling well in the west at all) having an impact is the best indicator of this. The market has moved on.

this proves my point. Other than Final Fantasy and Dragoon, nothing else sold at all. Parasite Eve is an action game with "rpg elements", it's not a turn based jrpg at all.

FF sells, and Dragoon inexplicably sold (though in the west only, iirc) but everything else was dead on arrival.

Chrono cross did a half a million, despite the money and marketing that went into that game. 25% of what FFVIII sold is absolutely not what square was expecting from that, which is why we haven't seen a true Chrono sequel since. Nobody bought the last game.

300K copies and below is flat out abysmal and says "there's no market" for those games.
persona 5 sold 3 million and its the same turn based j-rpg, octopath traveller 1,5 million, tales of berseria 1 million, nier automata 1.6 million, xenoblade 2 1.7 million
Today you sell more games, than in the age of ps1, but i never said to make an AAA, you could do a medium budget j-rpg like octopath traditional j-rpg and be sucessful.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
persona 5 sold 3 million and its the same turn based j-rpg, octopath traveller 1,5 million, tales of berseria 1 million, nier automata 1.6 million, xenoblade 2 1.7 million
Today you sell more games, than in the age of ps1, but i never said to make an AAA, you could do a medium budget j-rpg like octopath traditional j-rpg and be sucessful.

Are those Ps1 era Jrpgs? Or are those significantly more advanced games that came later? I mean, comparing Nier Automata to Chrono Cross? insanity.

And no, Persona 5 is absolutely nothing like Lunar, Breath of Fire, or Legaia. Trying to insist it is is crazy. You can't simply slap a new coat of paint on something like Legaia, it would never sell. and redoing the entire thing from the ground up i.e. Re2make is nonsensical for a game that didn't crack 300k copies in the first place.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
those are ps4 games, but i never said to remake legend of legaia 1:1 there's improvements that are needed in the game

The point of my comment was that the PS1 era JRPGs have aged badly and largely had no audience, not all JRPGs in general. Bringing up examples of games with RPG influences on PS4 (which is what Nier: Automata is, let's be honest) to try to dispute that point is nonsensical.

The fact is that of the late 90s JRPG wave, the only thing that actually had any traction had "Final Fantasy" on the cover, with Dragoon being the only other turn based RPG that sold anywhere remotely near respectable...though not well enough for Sony to ever revisit the idea.

There's no market for those. there's no improvements you can make that will create one. More advanced games that showed up later, like the Megaten stuff on PS2? Different story, but that's not what we're talking about here.

edit: also worth mentioning when you look at those numbers is that brick and mortar video rental stores like Blockbuster (which no longer exist) bought up a ton of copies of games like that for rental in the US. The actual amount of people "buying" those games is lower than the figures imply.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact is that of the late 90s JRPG wave, the only thing that actually had any traction had "Final Fantasy" on the cover, with Dragoon being the only other turn based RPG that sold anywhere remotely near respectable...though not well enough for Sony to ever revisit the idea.
non-FF PS1 JRPGs that sold more than 1 million copies:

- dragon quest 7
- the legend of dragoon
- dragon quest 4 remake
- xenogears
- tales of destiny
- arc the lad
- star ocean 2
- saga frontier
- arc the lad 2

Sep 14, 2019
I'm confused. Nier Automata sold 4+ million. I thought maybe you were talking about just Japan (which even then those would be truly incredible sales for Automata in *just* Japan), but then you mentioned P5's WW sales

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
That's a whole lot of junk and Dark Cloud/Wild Arms, one of those two was driven into the ground.

On that list, Kingdom of Paradise, blade dancer-if it's the game I'm thinking of and Monster Kingdom were shockingly really decent. Popolocrois is very go
....Yo bump this. Ya'll can have MediEvil and Spyro and Crash but we can't get back Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon?

Look, I hate to say it and please don't sit there slapping your iPad, desk, keyboard or whatever yelling asshole or something to that effect but well, these companies want either new properties that are going to do surefire well with the general consumer public or proven names they're familiar with. Almost none of if not all of the general consumer public has any clue what the hell especially Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon are. I think they'd be too high risk. I love JRPGs I'm just saying they want guaranteed hits or very very close to it. That's just the reality of it.

Also, most of the time I'm all for this revival craze going on but not everything should be revived. There are some things better left alone. Those two games in particular although good were products of their time that....I just don't think they'd resonate with the younger audience.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point of my comment was that the PS1 era JRPGs have aged badly and largely had no audience, not all JRPGs in general. Bringing up examples of games with RPG influences on PS4 (which is what Nier: Automata is, let's be honest) to try to dispute that point is nonsensical.

There's no market for those. More advanced games that showed up later, like the Megaten stuff on PS2? Different story, but that's not what we're talking about here.
the j-rpg genre has audience, octopath does not have final fantasy on the cover and its a traditional j-rpg, not high budget sold very well and its an exclusive.
The market was smaller at that time and legaia didnt sold bad for the time, and legend of dragoon is close to 1 million on ps1 being a very underapreciated ip by sony. Persona was a much smaller IP during ps1 and ps2 days, look at it today. I agree that the game has to modernize, but my point is that there's market, if they do a small budget legend of legaia 3 and they sell 300k (i think it would sell more) it wouldnt be a bad thing even today.
Digimon Cyber sleuth that has random encounters and its turnd based sold 810k, and the budget was not big, it was a big sucess for the franchise.
The thing is if they do a good job thats only it.

I'm confused. Nier Automata sold 4+ million. I thought maybe you were talking about just Japan (which even then those would be truly incredible sales for Automata in *just* Japan), but then you mentioned P5's WW sales
maybe the number i got was outdated

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Horribly average and frustrating, on top of ugly ps1 polygon graphics make it not fun to play compared to similarly average snes jrpgs

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
non-FF PS1 JRPGs that sold more than 1 million copies:

- dragon quest 7
- the legend of dragoon
- dragon quest 4 remake
- xenogears
- tales of destiny
- arc the lad
- star ocean 2
- saga frontier
- arc the lad 2

In the west, which is what that original list was.

None of them got anywhere close except Dragoon.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm... I dunno, man. I thought it was rights issues with character designs n what not. Like, the reason this was never re-released digitally. That's what I've heard a while ago. Gonna look into it.

I've honestly never heard of that reason before.

I only know that Legend of Legaia 1 has emulation issues. Like, people have tried disk-based BC on PS3 for Legaia, and there's an area that always crashes (I think Conkram?)