• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think Sony can do whatever they want with their own first party games (Death Stranding, Demon's Souls, etc) because it's their money making those games exist in the first place (though Demon's Souls was obviously a mistake and you'd have to be delusional to think Sony's Youtube team accidentally leaked).

Third party games, on the other hand, they should definitely do a better job. They used to be pretty good at it (aside from the odd mistake), so I don't know why they've reverted to throwing asterisks next to the word exclusive. FFVIIR was literally just "Play it first on PS4", which is FAR better than any stupid term Microsoft makes up that barely anyone understands or Sony's stupid asterisks.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
_id1580981672_343178.jpg
The issue here is the inconsistencies. They have that for ff7r but not for death loop or ff16? Whats up with that?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, all of this is confusing and they changed the wording. FF16 is a console exclusive. This always meant = PS + PC (maybe later), but not on Xbox/Switch.

Now they write Console Exclusive* = not coming to other platforms for a limited time what can mean everything. It's just a timed exclusive, not console exclusive. It could even mean on PS5 and PC at launch and later on other consoles hence the "console exclusive" ?!

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, all of this is confusing and they changed the wording. FF16 is a console exclusive. This always meant = PS + PC (maybe later), but not on Xbox/Switch.

Now they write Console Exclusive* = not coming to other platforms for a limited time what can mean everything. It's just a timed exclusive, not console exclusive. It could even mean on PS5 and PC at launch and later on other consoles hence the "console exclusive" ?!
Yeah I think ultimately for PS console exclusive now = timed exclusive. Its confusing but honestly I think Sony wants you to not be sure.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
Something I've been thinking about since this last showcase:

- Demon's Souls gets announced in the show. Trailer doesn't list a date or platforms or anything.

- After the show Twitter breaks that Demon's Souls is a launch title (so weird it wasn't in the show).

- The official PlayStation YouTube accounts make all the individual game trailers live, including Demon's Souls.

- The end of the YouTube Demon's Souls trailer says "other consoles and pc later" (or something like that) and the internet loses their minds.

- Sony makes a statement saying "Demon's Souls is only PS5, that was a human's mistake" and the video is taken down.

Now, it's several days later and we do not have a replacement trailer. And as someone who works in social media and deals with YouTube, they're missing out on quite a bit of likes and views there, let me tell you. My bosses would scramble to get someone to get that video fixed and back up. It would even take a few minutes, really...

So, is there a replacement trailer on YouTube yet? Is it there and I missed it?

I think about what the actual fuck is going on here, and hate to say that I'm suspicious... and kind of half expect either:

1.) The trailer is coming back in a week or so with at least PC still mentioned there.

2.) They wait until launch to put the trailer back up, and it still says the whole "PC and other consoles"

(Full disclosure: I preordered Death Stranding months in advance, then on the week of the PS4 launch they announce the PC version for 6 months later. I cancelled my preorder.)

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Well for sure they didn't do that for DQXIS.

That's a funny example... You are aware that DQXI was announced for Switch by Square Enix (Not Nintendo) long before NX was revealed as the Switch?

Because of that the game had to be remade to fit within the Switch's technical specifications and Yuji Horii decided he wanted to do more than just a late port.

Doesn't really sound like Nintendo had to make an exclusive deal there... Don't forget that Square Enix literally made and/or remade Dragon Quest XI multiple times on 3DS, PS4 JP version, PS4/PC International version, DQXIS for Switch and now DQXIS are just late ports for PC/PS4/XB1 because they couldn't just add DLC content to the original game due to compatibility issues which would require more work compared to just porting the latest release of their many made and remade games.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- Demon's Souls gets announced in the show. Trailer doesn't list a date or platforms or anything.

- After the show Twitter breaks that Demon's Souls is a launch title (so weird it wasn't in the show).

- The official PlayStation YouTube accounts make all the individual game trailers live, including Demon's Souls.

- The end of the YouTube Demon's Souls trailer says "other consoles and pc later" (or something like that) and the internet loses their minds.

- Sony makes a statement saying "Demon's Souls is only PS5, that was a human's mistake" and the video is taken down.

Now, it's several days later and we do not have a replacement trailer. And as someone who works in social media and deals with YouTube, they're missing out on quite a bit of likes and views there, let me tell you. My bosses would scramble to get someone to get that video fixed and back up. It would even take a few minutes, really...

I think about what the actual fuck is going on here, and hate to say that I'm suspicious... and kind of half expect either:

1.) The trailer is coming back in a week or so with at least PC still mentioned there.

2.) They wait until launch to put the trailer back up, and it still says the whole "PC and other consoles"

(Full disclosure: I preordered Death Stranding months in advance, then on the week of the PS4 launch they announce the PC version for 6 months later. I cancelled my preorder.)

They have replaced the trailer within the first day

www.youtube.com

Demon's Souls - Gameplay Trailer | PS5

https://www.playstation.com/games/demons-souls/?emcid=or-1s-412983In Demon's Souls, venture into the fog-ridden kingdom of Boletaria. Here, death is not the ...

ps5 only

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Sony needs to be more transparent about this. Simply saying "console exclusive" for a timed reclusive isn't good enough because that could imply that the game/content exclusive forever.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft specify when things are timed exclusives by saying something along the lines of "console launch exclusive." Whatever the exact wording is, it's different from a full on "console exclusive" which makes it easy to tell what is and isn't timed exclusive in their presentations/announcements. Say what you want about Nintendo or Microsoft, but they're both a lot more transparent about these things than Sony has been. So yes, to anyone saying "just Sony?" it is indeed just Sony of the big three who don't specify timed third party exclusives from full on third party exclusives.

Nintendo is the least clear of the big three. They just announce games then 6 months to a year later they show up on other consoles. It's just that not many people care because the games aren't big. The only reason people care about Sony is because they are getting the games people want as exclusive. The exclusivity or the messaging isn't the actual issue people have it's that they want the game on their platform.

The Death Stranding PC port was announced at reveal and then again two months before the game launched. Everyone knew before spending any money what the deal was so I don't get the problem.

FF16 will be console exclusive at launch at it even mentions it will come to PC and the new trailer points out that it could come to other consoles.

Seems we are reaching the bottom of the barrel of things to be "angry" about now.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think Sony can do whatever they want with their own first party games (Death Stranding, Demon's Souls, etc) because it's their money making those games exist in the first place (though Demon's Souls was obviously a mistake and you'd have to be delusional to think Sony's Youtube team accidentally leaked).

Third party games, on the other hand, they should definitely do a better job. They used to be pretty good at it (aside from the odd mistake), so I don't know why they've reverted to throwing asterisks next to the word exclusive. FFVIIR was literally just "Play it first on PS4", which is FAR better than any stupid term Microsoft makes up that barely anyone understands or Sony's stupid asterisks.

Other Consoles was easily a giveaway it was a mistake

Not saying DS cant come to PC as Sony have shown interested on PC but that incident was a mistake and they quickly rectified

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
And that's not ok. We should be holding them to the first for better transparency. "It doesn't benefit them" isn't a good excuse.
I hear yah, especially as a person who almost exclusively plays on Xbox. It just seems to me like they are unwilling or just don't care to change it.

For me, I'm just going to assume that I'll be able to play anything with a console exclusive* badge at the end of it eventually and be done with it. I'm only getting a Playstation for first party exclusives anyway.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls was a mistake and they made this clear. Final Fantasy XVI literally said also coming to PC at the end of the trailer.

What more are you looking for? I don't understand.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

They probally didn't put stuff in the show to reduce the chance of information being leaked.also there is a replacement trailer.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Final Fantasy XVI isn't going to come out any time soon. It's not like you have to decide on November 12th whether or not a PS5 is the only gaming device you will own for the rest of your life.
I don't think it will be out in the next few months either, but did we get any hint if the game releases holiday 2021 or later (2022, 2023 or 2040 :D )

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
That's a funny example... You are aware that DQXI was announced for Switch by Square Enix (Not Nintendo) long before NX was revealed as the Switch?

Because of that the game had to be remade to fit within the Switch's technical specifications and Yuji Horii decided he wanted to do more than just a late port.

Doesn't really sound like Nintendo had to make an exclusive deal there... Don't forget that Square Enix literally made and/or remade Dragon Quest XI multiple times on 3DS, PS4 JP version, PS4/PC International version, DQXIS for Switch and now DQXIS are just late ports for PC/PS4/XB1 because they couldn't just add DLC content to the original game due to compatibility issues which would require more work compared to just porting the latest release of their many made and remade games.

Nintendo straight up said in the reveal that it's coming exclusively to Switch. They were sure of it, deal was made obviously as Nintendo published it in the West.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
I don't think they're obligated to tell people when games will appear on other consoles, they pay millions of dollars (I'm assuming) for exclusivity.

That said I think they've operated like slime balls at times, very immature and deceptive marketing.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As much as I dislike Epic, at least they have the courtesy to tell us when they moneyhat a game that it will be for a full year. It gives people an opportunity to consider whether it's worth playing now or worth playing in a year. I get it, though, Sony is trying to move consoles. It makes more sense to be vague and to trigger FOMO.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I don't think it will be out in the next few months either, but did we get any hint if the game releases holiday 2021 or later (2022, 2023 or 2040 :D )
Yoshi P hinted its gonna be a while, but there's a reason why they showed at the event. They paid a lot of money for the timed exclusivity and the best time to leverage that is now. There are definitely going to be people who buy a ps5 just for a new final fantasy game

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This. I wish we wouldn't get any time exclusive deals. But those aren't going away, thus my wish is we at least get a gentleman agreement between all gaming companies to be upfront about it.
It's never happening it pretty much ruins the timed exclusivity impact, none of these companies have to say how long the deal is other than a range and pretty much it's 6 months to forever. yeah it's annoying but it's how the console makers make their platforms appealing.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017

youtu.be

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - Nintendo Direct 2.13.2019

Ready for a grand adventure filled with memorable characters, an enchanting story and classic RPG gameplay that can be taken on the go? This enhanced version...

Oct 28, 2019
FFXVI is on Square, like please now they refuse to comment on it get the fuck out of here lmao acting like no no it won't come to any other consoles when from Sony side we know they only brokered a deal for x amount of time

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
FFXVI is on Square, like please now they refuse to comment on it get the fuck out of here lmao acting like no no it won't come to any other consoles when from Sony side we know they only brokered a deal for x amount of time
I've said this earlier but Square likely can't talk about it due to the agreement. It only benefits them for users to know about where they can pick the game up. If they could talk about it they would have by now

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo straight up said in the reveal that it's coming exclusively to Switch. They were sure of it, deal was made obviously as Nintendo published it in the West.

Nintendo has published in the west many Dragon Quest games before going all the way back to the first one on NES so it's not a unique situation... They even published Dragon Quest Builders 2 on Switch despite Square Enix publishing the PS4 version in the west.

I saw the Nintendo direct video and heard "launching exclusively for the Nintendo Switch this fall" so I'll give you that however, I find it funny the idea that Nintendo would pay exclusivity for a deluxe version of a game who's base version was already released on PC, PS4 and 3DS (A Nintendo platform) just a couple of years prior which had no exclusivity deals.

Nintendo should look at paying exclusivity for games that haven't already released on other platforms first if they want to be maximising sales...

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI

The trailer that opened the PlayStation 5 Showcase live stream led with this note:

"The following content is captured on PC emulating the PS5 experience."

It is important to note that this alone does not confirm a PC version. PC is a development environment.

The trailer that opened the PlayStation 5 Showcase live stream then ends with this note:

"PlayStation Console Exclusive* Also available on PC."

Ah, OK, that would seem to confirm a PC version.

But then, the direct-feed trailer uploaded to both Square Enix and PlayStation's YouTube channels only say:

"PlayStation Console Exclusive* Not available on other platforms for a limited time after release on PS5."

This is a direct contrast to the live streamed version of the trailer, as well as other trailers that premiered during the same Showcase (which were not shy about mentioning a PC version):

Then, the official press release made no mention of a PC version:

Nor does the game's page on the press site:

And finally, when I asked Square Enix about the PC version mentioned in the PlayStation 5 Showcase live stream, a representative told me:

"We have no further information on if Final Fantasy XVI will be released on platforms other than the PS5."

In the end, one thing is clear, and it's that Final Fantasy XVI is "not available on other platforms for a limited time after release on PS5." It will probably come to PC down the line, and perhaps even Xbox Series, but those versions are not officially confirmed to exist at this point, and my guess is that they won't be confirmed until sometime after the PlayStation 5 version's release. I would consider this a repeat Final Fantasy VII Remake. And considering the Demon's Souls explanation below, the "Also available on PC" footnote in the PlayStation 5 Showcase was likely an error by someone on Sony's side.

Demon's Souls

The initial trailer uploaded to the PlayStation YouTube account ended with the following title card:

Which was removed, and corrected to the following:

It is very easy to see that this one was "human error," as Sony stated. No trailer for a game "also on PC" has also described the game as "PlayStation Exclusive." I know there are a bunch of folks who would love to play Demon's Souls on PC, but this isn't your "they jumped the gun, it's coming." If Demon's Souls ever does come to PC, I imagine it would be many years down the line at best.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Demons souls whole pc screw up was a mistake. And Sony owns the IP. So......

I mean I get the frustration, but a lot is happening behind the scenes and covid doesn't help when it comes to having their producers put together these videos remotely. Then get screened, but sometimes stuff slips through.
Yeah the demon souls situation isn't remotely the same. It has the full playstation exclusive banner and mistakenly had the console exclusive text. It was the same text used on the other trailer and even listed other console releases.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Final Fantasy XVI

The trailer that opened the PlayStation 5 Showcase live stream led with this note:

"The following content is captured on PC emulating the PS5 experience."

It is important to note that this alone does not confirm a PC version. PC is a development environment.

The trailer that opened the PlayStation 5 Showcase live stream then ends with this note:

"PlayStation Console Exclusive* Also available on PC."

Ah, OK, that would seem to confirm a PC version.

But then, the direct-feed trailer uploaded to both Square Enix and PlayStation's YouTube channels only say:

"PlayStation Console Exclusive* Not available on other platforms for a limited time after release on PS5."

This is a direct contrast to the live streamed version of the trailer, as well as other trailers that premiered during the same Showcase:

Then, the official press release made no mention of a PC version:

Nor does the game's page on the press site:

And finally, when I asked Square Enix about the PC version mentioned in the PlayStation 5 Showcase live stream, a representative told me:

"We have no further information on if Final Fantasy XVI will be released on platforms other than the PS5."

In the end, one thing is clear, and it's that Final Fantasy XVI is "not available on other platforms for a limited time after release on PS5." It will probably come to PC down the line, and perhaps even Xbox Series, but those versions are not officially confirmed to exist at this point, and my guess is that they won't be confirmed until sometime after the PlayStation 5 version's release. I would consider this a repeat Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Demon's Souls

The initial trailer uploaded to the PlayStation YouTube account ended with the following title card:

Which was removed, and corrected to the following:

It is very easy to see that this one was "human error," as Sony stated. No trailer for a game "also on PC" has also described the game as "PlayStation Exclusive." I know there are a bunch of folks who would love to play Demon's Souls on PC, but this isn't your "they jumped the gun, it's coming." If Demon's Souls ever does come to PC, I imagine it would be many years down the line at best.
Excellent post summarizing the situation.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
They will likely never communicate this upfront because despite what most people here try to have you believe, PC actually does pose a risk at cannibalizing PlayStation game sales.

If they are interested in porting a game to PC, their most likely course is to ensure they've completely maximized sales on PlayStation first and foremost.

It'd be nice if they were upfront, but that's not in their best interest.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
How come when I bought Resident Evil 4 in 2005 the box said "Only for Nintendo GameCube", but now I've found out it's available for every platform under the sun?

Things change with time, I guess. I imagine Demon's Souls might come to PC at some point, but I imagine it would be several years in the future. Bluepoint have never made a PC game as far as I know.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
They will likely never communicate this upfront because despite what most people here try to have you believe, PC actually does pose a risk at cannibalizing PlayStation game sales.

I'm also thinking that SE is quiet about releasing it on the PC (even if we somewhat have a confirmation from Sony) is because they want people to double dip. Let the fans get the PS5 version first and then release a "GOTY edition" on the PC months later/a year later. If it worked for FFXV, it can certainly work for XVI.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yeah the demon souls situation isn't remotely the same. It has the full playstation exclusive banner and mistakenly had the console exclusive text. It was the same text used on the other trailer and even listed other console releases.

Yea again it was a screw up by them, but they literally own Demon souls IP. So they can do whatever they want with it. I think they just jumped the gun in their marketing.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not here to say anyone's perfect. But both Nintendo and Microsoft (more so Microsoft) are a lot more transparent on timed exclusives than Sony is. I don't really think it's up for debate.
Nintendo's more transparent? It feels more like Nintendo gets a complete pass around here on their timed exclusive deals.

Sid Meier's Civilization VI was a one-year exclusive, but it being a timed exclusive isn't mentioned in the trailer nor any mention of it in the Direct and we didn't know it wasn't permanent until a year later when it was announced for the other consoles. Katamari Damacy Reroll doesn't mention it's a timed exclusive. Same with Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age, which is now coming to the other consoles and PC as a Switch port and part of that messaging is Square Enix being very cagey and weird with their Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest stuff. Daemon X Machina was labeled as a Nintendo Switch exclusive, but came to PC a few months after launch. Octopath Traveler is another that went to PC about a year later.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Sony needs to be more transparent about this. Simply saying "console exclusive" for a timed reclusive isn't good enough because that could imply that the game/content exclusive forever.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft specify when things are timed exclusives by saying something along the lines of "console launch exclusive." Whatever the exact wording is, it's different from a full on "console exclusive" which makes it easy to tell what is and isn't timed exclusive in their presentations/announcements. Say what you want about Nintendo or Microsoft, but they're both a lot more transparent about these things than Sony has been. So yes, to anyone saying "just Sony?" it is indeed just Sony of the big three who don't specify timed third party exclusives from full on third party exclusives.
Disgaea 6?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This is wrong. Every PS5 game trailer from these showcases has a title card that specifies exclusivity and if a PC version exists. Nintendo specifies exclusivity in its indie game presentations, but uses "console launch exclusive" as an umbrella term for "Switch-only at launch" or "Switch and PC-only at launch," and never actually mentions whether a PC version exists. Raji is a good example of this, which was a "console launch exclusive" that launched first for Switch and later for PS4, Xbox One, and PC, while a game like Hades is also a "console launch exclusive" that launched first for Switch and PC, and presumably sometime down the line for other platforms. Then you have situations like Disgaea 6, and various other third-party games like Dragon Quest XI S that eventually come to additional platforms, which Nintendo has never once stated are limited time exclusives despite having very clear involvement. Microsoft is better with transparency, but their problem has been that they haven't been very clear about which games are available on Xbox Series platforms and / or Xbox One in their blog posts. They use the umbrella term "Xbox" despite some games only being available on Xbox Series platforms and some games being available on both. If anything though, Sony has been the most transparent out of the big three, just based on everything I've seen as someone who covers game news and these events everyday.

Oct 28, 2017
They should be more transparent about everything, that entire PS5 show was a complete mess of misinformation and lack of information. It's clear Sony wants to make stuff like FF16 appear as a regular exclusive even though anyone with knowledge of the last several years of final fantasy knows it's only timed. As for Demons Souls, there's a high chance that'll be ported to PC down the line. The point is, Sony is going to hold that information back or hide it with a very tiny asterisk so that if people want these games at launch it has to be on PS5.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
That's not really a Sony issue, as much as it is an industry issue.

Yep. It's like the XB events never happened I guess. They got raked over the coals a bit with how unclear they were (or "deceptive" if we're using the Era definition of the word) regarding which games were truly XB exclusive or only timed, etc.

At the end of the day the publishers are complicit in these kinds of shenanigans. Either holding back other versions of a game or walking the razor's edge of those marketing statements of complete exclusivity. I can understand if a budget only allows to make one version at a time or something, but it's still willingly deceptive to choose "GAME is exclusive to the xbox 360" and "for now we're launching on xbox 360 and are working on bringing this to other platforms later".

"But they're on stage with [platform holder]! They can't just say it's coming to other consoles too!" sure, but that doesn't mean they have to go all-in on the "it's completely exclusive 100% and will never come to other platforms" wording they're fed by said platform holder. Just don't make that deals at all, because you know you're deceiving the audience.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The issue here is the inconsistencies. They have that for ff7r but not for death loop or ff16? Whats up with that?
There is no issue.

The date only appeared when the game was about to release, and was noticed on the cover-art. Prior to that there was no solid date.
Same will apply here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This narrative with singling out sony for everything wrong with this industry is tiring tbh, Nintendo was also very sketchy with a lot of exclusives like Dragon Quest XI S and Yakuza Like a Dragon's Xbox exclusivity deal still isn't clear.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Exclusivity is dumb. Let everyone play these games. Makes no sense to lock a masterpiece like LoU2 on one box forever.