• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Like this?

HA723HB.png
Damn looks so good

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I bet Sony won't even market the dang thing before launch too!

That's what happens when you're in the lead vs. playing catch up. Everything MS has been doing lately seems to be attempts at one-upping Sony, and the only reason they've been giving gamers so much value is because they're currently losing. Sony appears un-threatened at the highest level, the kind of arrogance that could bite them in the ass if they sit on it for too long. This will be interesting to watch.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly and it doesnt really mean anything to me while I'm sat playing a game.

It hurts me to think we have got to the point that we are discussing views on youtube, likes on instagram.

The whole forum went crazy at microsoft sharing MAUs but this is some next level shit.
i mean I don't personally care, all im saying is if you're going to compare likes or whatever you should do it on the service that gets the most eyeballs.

anyways the person i was responding to was joking and i acknowledged that right away, so this doesn't need to become a serious thing.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they change colors and box design every generation?

Last gen they really went all-in on blue, more than I feel like they've ever themed themselves around a colour other than black and it worked so well for them. Somebody else pointed out that Nintendo is red, Xbox green, PlayStation blue. Makes sense to keep that going, to me at least.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
That's what happens when you're in the lead vs. playing catch up. Everything MS has been doing lately seems to be attempts at one-upping Sony, and the only reason they've been giving gamers so much value is because they're currently losing. Sony appears un-threatened at the highest level, the kind of arrogance that could bite them in the ass if they sit on it for too long. This will be interesting to watch.

Are you claiming arrogance based on the assumption that SONY won't advertise their PS5? Just want to make sure I understand or did I dream about the constant marketing PS4 had and still has.

MS doing everything in their power to try and regain the throne is amazing for everyone. These two companies are at best when they are competing with software. Y'all need to tone it down with crazy assumptions, ERA is full with concern trolling.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last gen they really went all-in on blue, more than I feel like they've ever themed themselves around a colour other than black and it worked so well for them. Somebody else pointed out that Nintendo is red, Xbox green, PlayStation blue. Makes sense to keep that going, to me at least.
Fair enough. Though, I think box design is not a huge deal considering how hard they will be pushing digital next gen anyway.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i mean I don't personally care, all im saying is if you're going to compare likes or whatever you should do it on the service that gets the most eyeballs.

anyways the person i was responding to was joking and i acknowledged that right away, so this doesn't need to become a serious thing.

The worst thing is, some people wont be joking though.

On another note, That black box looks incredible. I hope they go with that.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

In terms of next-gen console marketing, until the game awards Sony had been more proactive about information than Microsoft. Not responding immediately to everything MS has said since TGAs - as some seemed to expect over Xmas and New Years, for some baffling reason - is not complacency or arrogance. An expectation that Sony would react to every little thing MS says about their next-gen console is unrealistic in the extreme.

Rewinding to the beginning of the current generation, at this point we had zero official marketing. There is still plenty of time for Sony to walk their marketing roadmap, at their own pace.

(In terms of general market activity, I think we could debate that. Sony is firing on all cylinders for PS4's last year on game output, and I see a lot of shaking up going on at Sony which suggests the opposite of complacency. Sony Corp also seems more awake to the importance of PS than ever before - which will probably be a factor later when it comes to marketing for PS5. I think it'd be a small limb to go out on, to say, that this will probably be their biggest marketing effort to date for a console... I wouldn't worry about them being quiet in due time.)

Last edited:

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Whats the point of ramping up marketing something you haven't even shown to the public yet? Makes zero sense to expect anything before a proper reveal. Which I personally would hope is done with more than a commercial length advertisement.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I honestly can't tell if many people in this thread are being unintentionally daft or taking the piss or what...
Between the equivalents of "Sony shot themselves in the foot" to "so creative that logo!"... I just... I feel like I need a drink.

Either way, it's been a wild ride! :D

Oh, just wait until we get actual details about the system. Some people here are dying to go full console warrior.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Because they are not reactionary? I don't think ping pong marketing would a good strategy, especially this early.
They probably have PS meeting date and all that jazz already settled, the year barely started.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they are not reactionary? I don't think ping pong marketing would a good strategy, especially this early.
They probably have PS meeting date and all that jazz already settled, the year barely started.

From Art of War:

Disciplined and calm, to await the appearance of disorder and hubbub amongst the enemy:--this is the art of retaining self-possession.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Wow, console warring is so sad. Sony has been rumored since mid 2019 that they would unveil it in February. It's not February. How any of this leads you to believe that EITHER of them will "take it next gen" is beyond me. This has nothing to do with how much power either console has. It's just you using how much you are entertained by what has been shown so far to jump to illogical conclusions.

I am optimistic for Xbox Series X from what they have shown so far. Do I think PS5 is doomed because of it and how they haven't shown anything about the console yet? No, not even a little bit. That would be a ridiculous assumption based on zero factual information. The logic of: no info = it's worse and they're afraid to show it? Come on now...
I wasn't really attacking PlayStation... but I can see how it looked. Love my PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro and the 400+ games I have on it.

I was wrong of course for saying that blatantly.

But the small reveal of Xbox Series X was bigger and better than just a Logo. I guess I am just surprised that we are making THIS the news. Sony revealed the PS5 Logo which is exactly like the previous 4 versions. I guess we have something to talk about than nothing.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I wasn't really attacking PlayStation... but I can see how it looked. Love my PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro and the 400+ games I have on it.

I was wrong of course for saying that blatantly.

But the small reveal of Xbox Series X was bigger and better than just a Logo. I guess I am just surprised that we are making THIS the news. Sony revealed the PS5 Logo which is exactly like the previous 4 versions. I guess we have something to talk about than nothing.
I think a reveal is when you physically show the console and showcase some games for it. That is what happened with the Xbox reveal. Showing a logo is not a console reveal.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
What is going on? Heh. Until both consoles have been fully unveiled, it's impossible to guess where the chips will land. And even then there's a massive amount of uncertainty.

And betting against Playstation? Yeah, not where I'd be putting my money.
Def not betting against PlayStation, I know it'll be a great console because they have the best exclusives. I guess I love what Xbox has done with the reveal for the Series X compared to Sony.

I was watching the CES 2020 Conference LIVE and we got this Logo and PS4 games collage trailer. So comparatively Xbox did better.

I hope we get a good launch from both consoles this November.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I think a reveal is when you physically show the console and showcase some games for it. That is what happened with the Xbox reveal. Showing a logo is not a console reveal.
No it is def not... I meant that we making a big news out of this Logo reveal... that is all. I guess I am not a big fan of Logos and Title Names being revealed only.

Even in 2013, they did the whole conference and talked about PS4 but never revealed the console... they do things differently I guess.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I seriously cannot tell who is joking any more. You know you are replying to a sarcastic post, right? How can they be arrogant? It's the beginning of January! People need to cool down.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The worst thing is, some people wont be joking though.

On another note, That black box looks incredible. I hope they go with that.

It's a way to read the market Share and as a Poster in the Next Gen Thread noted, it's also possible to read future sales based on likes and Views from Social media.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
No it is def not... I meant that we making a big news out of this Logo reveal... that is all. I guess I am not a big fan of Logos and Title Names being revealed only.

Even in 2013, they did the whole conference and talked about PS4 but never revealed the console... they do things differently I guess.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the teasing either but it seems like whatever they are doing is working. See how it all plays out soon enough I guess. I just think its way too early to be calling either side laying the smack down on the other just yet.

Feb 6, 2019
Imagine this ideal scenario:

PS4 compatibility - Boost mode, plus developers can make PS5 patches for 4k, raytracing, textures, higher draw distance etc.
PS3 and Vita compatibility via emulation with option to run games at 4k (or 1800p with checkerboard if 4k is too hard) and 16x AF.
PSP, PS2 and PS1 emulation at 8k (can downsample to lower res screens)

PS3, PS2 and PS1 games can be copied to the internal drive (can only run if disk inserted)

PS2, PS1, PSP, and Vita games have AI upscaling option for textures.

Developers have the option to sell or release free updates to inject new HD textures/HUD/fonts and trophies into old games (sony has a patent for that)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only people making it a big deal are those that want to irk the "other side," no one rational was thinking they were going to reveal the console at CES.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Imagine this ideal scenario:

PS4 compatibility - Boost mode, plus developers can make PS5 patches for 4k, raytracing, textures, higher draw distance etc.
PS3 and Vita compatibility via emulation with option to run games at 4k (or 1800p with checkerboard if 4k is too hard) and 16x AF.
PSP, PS2 and PS1 emulation at 8k (can downsample to lower res screens)

PS3, PS2 and PS1 games can be copied to the internal drive (can only run if disk inserted)

PS2, PS1, PSP, and Vita games have AI upscaling option for textures.

Developers have the option to sell or release free updates to inject new HD textures/HUD/fonts and trophies into old games (sony has a patent for that)
8K PS1 upres gonna be glorious
cuurhw3xarr11.jpg

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I couldn't have said it better. I have been saying this for many years. These companies act all big and have arrogance in them as SOON as they reach the top. When PS2 won that Gen, they priced PS3 for such a high price that you had to get a second job and sell your first born to get it. They didn't care what Gamers actually wanted. The same thing happened in 2013, because Xbox 360 won that GEN, they increased the price, added Kinect and made it online only with not being able to play used games, again not caring for what gamers actually want, thinking they will bend over backwards. And look what happened to them.

Each time they win a console war, they act like GODS and think gamers will bend over backwards for them and they never learn from history.

And yes, PS3 was losing during that era and they were going out of their way to please gamers, introduced PS PLUS and did so much for us, the same Xbox One did this gen because they were losing.

They always seem to listen to us ONLY when they are losing the battle. That should change. I hope it does next gen.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't have said it better. I have been saying this for many years. These companies act all big and have arrogance in them as SOON as they reach the top. When PS2 won that Gen, they priced PS3 for such a high price that you had to get a second job and sell your first born to get it. They didn't care what Gamers actually wanted. The same thing happened in 2013, because Xbox 360 won that GEN, they increased the price, added Kinect and made it online only with not being able to play used games, again not caring for what gamers actually want, thinking they will bend over backwards. And look what happened to them.

Each time they win a console war, they act like GODS and think gamers will bend over backwards for them and they never learn from history.

And yes, PS3 was losing during that era and they were going out of their way to please gamers, introduced PS PLUS and did so much for us, the same Xbox One did this gen because they were losing.

They always seem to listen to us ONLY when they are losing the battle. That should change. I hope it does next gen.

360 didn't win that gen though.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Only people making it a big deal are those that want to irk the "other side," no one rational was thinking they were going to reveal the console at CES.
I agree, nobody said anything about anything. But they just revealed a boring logo (IMO) and the Internet is going crazy and making new articles. As if its an original logo that has never been done and they did something revolutionary. They didn't.

That is what I meant when I said that at Game Awards Xbox caught us by surprise. I wasn't expecting it at all. I am still not a big fan of what it is called... Series. But that is another topic to discuss at a different thread.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I agree, nobody said anything about anything. But they just revealed a boring logo (IMO) and the Internet is going crazy and making new articles. As if its an original logo that has never been done and they did something revolutionary. They didn't.

That is what I meant when I said that at Game Awards Xbox caught us by surprise. I wasn't expecting it at all. I am still not a big fan of what it is called... Series. But that is another topic to discuss at a different thread.

Are you okay? Do you need a hug?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
News sites need news on next gen consoles to get traffic, it is not surprising that there are articles going up about it. Just because it is inline with what they have done previously doesn't mean it isn't news (albeit very tame news).

Did it surprise you when Sony started offering Wired interviews about the PS5 early last year? That was a large surprise to many.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
When compared to PS3 vs 360 - 360 did... by the number and by average games per console. I am not taking Wii into account as Nintendo said they didn't want to compete against Sony and MS, their target audience was different as well.

You're gonna need to back that up with sources because last official numbers has ps3 selling more.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I think boxes will stay blue. Blue has been the official PS color since the Vita, and it's ingrained in the customers' mind that blue = PS. They would be stupid to change it.