• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PlayStation 5 Logo is derived from film noir, as the black background is a motif that there's nothing but darkness after life (what the thin white font represents) finally gives out.

Typeface analysis by Hobbes.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It literally looks like some amateur photoshop, replacing the 4 with a 5.

This isn't great PR for Sony, this will get meme'd on and not in a good way.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Does the hard edge look odd to anybody else? I feel like it would look better slightly rounded like so.
unknown.png

(shitty edit)

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: Sony was going to introduce the design at CES first, but MS beat them to the punch at TGA.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
It would be insane if Microsoft is able to claim OG Xbox backwards compatibility and these jokers can't even manage a PS1 emulator. For fuck's sake.
The effort is barely worth it for them anyway. It's not like it will change the PS marketshare a lot whether Sony decide to do it or not. Also, if the latest SoC specs are true it kinda confirms that Sony once again went with hardware B/C route so I wouldn't expect any software emulator at all.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it's the same font as the PS3 and PS4, like the unity of it all.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I understand it's the typeface and it's for differentiation so as not to make the 5 look like an alternative "S" character in the library, but holy FUCK does that 5 look like shit next to those other two characters. That hard angle on the top-left looks like a mistake.
Thank you!

The typeface was designed for the PS3, with the "3" clearly designed alongside the rest of the letters, with all curves and no corners. Once they kept the typeface for the PS4 - and the "4" of the logo has nothing but corners and a low profile - the type falls apart. They should have redesigned the typeface to accommodate the edged "5" instead of retrofitting another number on an almost decade-old logo.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
A++ show. so much playstation 5 news i can't handle it .

I guess this is the start of a series of a dissapointment to come in 2020. way to go

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Allow me to save y'all some time 5-10 years from now with the time-travelling future reveal... of the PS6 LOGO!!
63tNIOq.png

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It literally looks like some amateur photoshop, replacing the 4 with a 5.

This isn't great PR for Sony, this will get meme'd on and not in a good way.

Rofl..

Kinda like it wasn't good PR when all they did was change the 2 to a 3? And 3 to a 4? You think 4 to a 5 is any different? It's a logo that hundreds of millions know. It would be incredibly stupid of them to change it for no reason.

I mean, I'll assume you were joking and the joke flew over my head or something.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd just use the PS logo plus a standalone five or whatever. The logo is so cool that it makes whatever's next to it look like shit.
The black background means it's gonna be a disappointment especially when MS is holding the golden key and Nintendo is holding the diamond key not to mention Gaben ushering in the golden age of gaming along with Geoff "D. Pope" Keighley. I smell doom and gloom and they'll probably sell off all of their businesses outside of insurance.
We need to check if Sony has taken out a life insurance policy on the PS5.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The black background means it's gonna be a disappointment especially when MS is holding the golden key and Nintendo is holding the diamond key not to mention Gaben ushering in the golden age of gaming along with Geoff "D. Pope" Keighley. I smell doom and gloom and they'll probably sell off all of their businesses outside of insurance.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
The new logo shakes me to my very core, just incredible.
Memeing aside, I wonder if they'll continue to associate its branding with the PS4 blue.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
While this logo was expected, this looks a bit amateurish imo. The 5 looks weird. lol. But whatever.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you!

The typeface was designed for the PS3, with the "3" clearly designed alongside the rest of the letters, with all curves and no corners. Once they kept the typeface for the PS4 - and the "4" of the logo has nothing but corners and a low profile - the type falls apart. They should have redesigned the typeface to accommodate the edged "5" instead of retrofitting another number on an almost decade-old logo.

WAit, do you think sony (a multimillion dolar company) just "retrofitted" another number on their most successful brand?
Thats not how it works.

lmao

barksi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft folks made a good step when they decided to reveal the look of the console at TGA. This makes Sony look incredibly slow and cumbersome, at least from psychological point of view.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rofl..

Kinda like it wasn't good PR when all they did was change the 2 to a 3? And 3 to a 4? You think 4 to a 5 mean is any different? It's a logo that hundreds of millions know. It would be incredibly stupid of them to change it for no reason.

I mean, I'll assume you were joking and the joke flew over my head or something.

People already losing their minds over a frickin' logo, imagine when they finally reveal the console...

The power that that has, the intelligence that that has, the clearance that that has, the impact that that has, the access that that has, the influence that that has, the profile that that has, the international implications that that has.