• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
New logo:

The Super Disc:

NVAc2b3.png

From Wikipedia,

The Super NES CD-ROM System[1][2] (commonly shortened as the SNES-CD), also known as the Super Famicom CD-ROM Adapter,[3] is an unreleased video game peripheral for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). The add-on built upon the functionality of the cartridge-based SNES by adding support for a CD-ROM-based format known as Super Disc.[4][5]

Is this a slap in the face? Or is this simply an homage to the peripheral that started the ball rolling for Sony and video games, ultimately leading to every job at Sony Santa Monica, thus being why they would want to honor it. I lean toward the latter, but I'm sure some will misrepresent it.

Thoughts?

data

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way that's a coincidence.

Probably Sony taking a dig at Nintendo for the old project. There's no way Sony doesn't see there resemblance and then blatantly calling it out on twitter

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They probably thought it was cool looking and owned by Sony so they decided to use it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
That is a very obvious design to make if you have initals "SD" to work with.
Probably pure coincidence.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much the same logo so I definitely don't see this being a coincidence. It's just a nod obviously.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's obviously not a coincidence, but I don't believe it's a slap in the face. I'm sure 99.99% of the developers there love Nintendo games anyway. Just an homage and a very good one at that. Quite an old school vibe to it.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on, lol. Maybe it references it but literally nobody outside of the diehard gaming community would know what the fuck the project even is. Of course it's not a slap in the face, it would have to have some form of impact.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
I don't like Sony studios using the name of their residing city as their name. Feels kinda soulless. Wish them the best tho, Rock on.

Or it's a stylized "SD" for San Diego in a similar style of the Santa Monica logo :P

Uggh, don't remind me of that atrocity. I will never forgive them for killing this PIECE OF FUCKING ART :

images

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Probably coincidence, but pretty funny in light of how many times Sony has looked at Nintendo and their short lived alliance for inspiration.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Rational people think it's a coincidence.

Conspiracy inclined people thinks it's clearly related.

Crazy loonies think it's a slap in the face.

:P