• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
i5204996w800h465.jpg

Who can say no to this handsome man?

This IP deserves new life!

So for those on the back of the class, Buzz was a Sony-exclusive series from 2005 to 2010. The games were quiz show games, where players would use special Buzz-controllers to answer questions asked in the game during different types of game show rounds. You get points during the rounds, and then the final round decides who wins.

And the games were seriously a lot of fun. The few years I owned Buzz games, we always played them at gatherings with friends and family. There were quite a lot of questions in each game, so they didn't usually became repetitive.

However, the series has been dead since 2010. I understand why – this series was originally given the Guitar Hero treatment. In just five years, Sony released 17 Buzz games (Dozen regular games, few for PSP and few party minigames that were aimed at very young children). That amount of saturation would kill any IP. The games also required the use of the Buzz controllers. Buying a game that comes with four plastic controllers raised the price.

145947.jpg

Ah yes, just what we need, more plastic peripheals.

But now in 2021, it's high time to revive this IP.

Quiz-party games are all the craze now. Jackbox games are really popular, and for a good reason: these types of games are fun! And most of all, they are lot more accessible, than what Buzz was in terms of accessories needed. There's also Buzz type games released on systems like the Switch, so there's no reason for Sony not to try as well.

If Buzz were to be revived, the controllers would need to be dropped. Instead turn users smartphones into buzzer controllers with same button layout if needed. You could also make the way players connect to the game work the same way as it does in Jackbox, connect from separate website. That way you could do easy Twitch-streaming fun.

Secondly, do not oversaturate the market with bunch of games again. Just release one Buzz-game for PS5, and then keep supporting it by releasing new question-packs as updates. These updates should be preferably free. You could also give players the option to create their own questions and share them to other players. This was already possible with PS3 Buzz games.

Don't be afraid Sony, give Buzz some love!

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sony is a risk averse company now though or so i read on some site.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will only do it if Buzz Dude can be turned into a Sad Dad questioning life, the universe and everything in an open world environment filled with markers and side questions.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
They already made trivia games for PS4 using smartphones, if they thought the Buzz IP had any life left in it they probably would have used it here

Knowledge-Is-Power
knowledge-is-power-decades-cover.cover_large.jpg

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
They already made trivia games for PS4 using smartphones, if they thought the Buzz IP had any life left in it they probably would have used it here

Knowledge-Is-Power

Buzz IP would most definitely have way more oomph to it especially in Europe, where the IP was pretty big. It's pretty telling that I forgot that this thing even existed.

Oct 27, 2017
Come to think of it, 17 Buzz games in five years really isn't that much considering it felt like Sony had released 17 new SingStar games every five months.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally I'd want a Buzz game to be run like 1 vs 100 was, with new questions every week. Don't need the scheduled timeslots, obviously, but having fresh material that was also occasionally timely was a pretty neat experience, and I think it's still pretty unique to home trivia games.

I'm guessing this is way too much to ask, though, and it's not like we've seen a lot of games trying to do what 1 vs 100 did either.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Revive THE EYE OF JUDGMENT, you cowards.

Digital card games are not niche anymore.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely agree. Sony really missed the mark last gen. No Buzz or Singstar is ridiculous. These two titles would be huge. Buzz was a really fun party game and they could keep the buzzers or as an alternative they could support your phone so you can just use that as a controller. I do like having the physical buzzer so I would prefer they do both if possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Buzz paired brilliantly with a really cheap PS2.
For around £100 you could get the console and the buzz game with controllers. It was a really cool party attraction for non-gamers.

That same level of casual entry level disappeared with the PS3 which never reached the low price of the later PS2. Same for PS4. Hard drive sizes increased so the value balanced out but you never saw a PS3 or PS4 for less than £200.

Without that low, low entry price point the market for games like Buzz, singstar or DDR games faded away. It really sucks as I loved the cheap and cheerful games of that late PS2 era. I wonder where that market went. I think it still exists, the games industry just doesn't cater to it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Knowledge-Is-Power
Knowledge is Power is fucking abysmal. From the poor pacing to the minigame "powers" which don't even work properly to the terrible questions. A total farce.

Buzz! was on a whole different level to this. But like the eventual fate of the KiP developers, Relentless also shuttered years ago. So not sure who could do the IP justice now tbh.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I loved this side of Sony. Buzz! was a legit great game. Countless hours of fun with the family.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I genuinely thought when those PlayLink phone games were coming out ("It's You", "Hidden Agenda", etc.) that Buzz would surely make it's return. Felt like it would fit really well.

Knowledge is Power is fucking abysmal. From the poor pacing to the minigame "powers" which don't even work properly to the terrible questions. A total farce.

Buzz! was on a whole different level to this. But like the eventual fate of the KiP developers, Relentless also shuttered years ago. So not sure who could do the IP justice now tbh.
Since you mentioned who could do it justice these days, I looked into what happened to Screenlife (the folks behind Scene It?) and it looks like they eventually got absorbed into the digital arm of Paramount, which makes a new installment of that buzzer-controlled series in any format quite unlikely as well. A real shame, to be sure.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Knowledge is Power is a nice alternative. Have brought that game to a few parties before Covid and everyone had a fun time with it.

Also would love to see Scene it Return. That was a lot of fun on Xbox with the controllers.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
They should revive MAG before anything else, and please don't make it a battle royale

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Add me to pro Buzz crowd... I forgot it's PS3 game and won't work on my ps 5 :( I still have the full set

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Buzz *has* life left in it, but Sony won't front the cash to give the IP creative liberty. It needs a massively multiplayer online presence, customized characters (skins!), smart phones instead of plastic (as OP stated) and regularly updated announcer lines & trivia content. They tried to shift the onus of new trivia content players via "create" modes, but that's not what consumers want.

Hell, ramp up the production and make it much more like a gameshow in it's nature, it's insanely easy to generate this content, especially since they don't have to do realistic animations. It's insane that Sony hasn't tried to push this out for PS platforms and PC.

Again though, Sony, I think, is more interested in being the upper echelon of "games as art" and doesn't have much interest in funding stuff like this, I think (to the level it would need for appropriate success).