• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Lets be real. Does anyone trust Sony?

I LOVE Tom Holland/Zendaya's Spiderman/MJ and hope they stay in the MCU for a long time. It really sucks that no one else can nail what makes the MCU so popular.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
As long as it's under 44 minutes (including intro and credits) in length that is correct. That has been true since 2009. Marvel TV has produced plenty of Spidey cartoons. Last Sony owned one was Spectacular SM.
Yeah, it's their only shot it Sony ever decided to not play ball at all.
Yup, that's my point, as long as Feige has the animated TV option, Spidey is never truly out of the MCU now that we have Disney+ being a core distribution channel for MCU material. Even if Tom Holland is contractually locked out by Sony they can still bring his version of the character back and have him be voiced by someone else.

Last edited:

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Why can't Sony just make their own Spider-Man for their particular universe? And leave Holland and friends with Disney? I'd like to see an adult Peter not worrying about school or prom or whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony Pictures is such a fuck up branch.

If they were smart they would've just got a talented Feige like person and boot their own side universe with Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen, and do occasional Miles/Gwen/Peter multiverse shenanigans with the MCU.

But noooo, we have to take a huge shit on a good partnership to reattempt Amazing Spiderman 2 tier quality again.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They will fuck this up, watching them they do it will probably be more entertaining than the movies themselves.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I for one love that Disney is eternally punished by Sony. It's like a grand cosmic correction or something.

I wonder how much wiggle room Sony has with the ancient contract? Some people said the only reason IM3 featured the Iron Patriot was because Sony could potentially have used it in one of their films.

Punish them by making shit content?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Why can't Sony just make their own Spider-Man for their particular universe? And leave Holland and friends with Disney? I'd like to see an adult Peter not worrying about school or prom or whatever.
I agree with this. My ideal Spider-Man film would be the Chris Pine version we briefly got in Into the Spider-Verse.

Punish them by making shit content?
Rotten Tomatoes
Spider-Man: 90%
Spider-Man 2: 93%
Spider-Man 3: 63%
The Amazing Spider-Man: 72%
The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 51%
Venom: 29%
Into the Spider-Verse: 97%

I mean, from an objective standpoint. Sony has only released 2 universally, critically panned Spider-Man films. Venom 2 and Morbius will probably be bad. Kraven (JC Chandor has yet to make a bad film) and Spider-Woman (Same with Olivia Wilde, although smaller sample size) probably will be good films. Into the Spider-Verse 2 and the Spider Gwen spinoff will be great. Sony Pictures TV + Lord and Miller probably means the TV Universe will be great.

So, it's a bit of a stretch to say that they'll be shit content, but ymmv.

Oct 31, 2017
Sony Pictures is such a fuck up branch.

If they were smart they would've just got a talented Feige like person and boot their own side universe with Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen, and do occasional Miles/Gwen/Peter multiverse shenanigans with the MCU.

But noooo, we have to take a huge shit on a good partnership to reattempt Amazing Spiderman 2 tier quality again.

While I agree that SPE is a weak division that should ultimately be divested, how many savant comic book nerd high level executives that care more about the nerdy aspect than the money like Feige are there? If Chapek runs Feige out of the company I guarantee everyone will be trying to snatch him up.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I agree with this. My ideal Spider-Man film would be the Chris Pine version we briefly got in Into the Spider-Verse.

Rotten Tomatoes
Spider-Man: 90%
Spider-Man 2: 93%
Spider-Man 3: 63%
The Amazing Spider-Man: 72%
The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 51%
Venom: 29%
Into the Spider-Verse: 97%

I mean, from an objective standpoint. Sony has only released 2 universally, critically panned Spider-Man films. Venom 2 and Morbius will probably be bad. Kraven (JC Chandor has yet to make a bad film) and Spider-Woman (Same with Olivia Wilde, although smaller sample size) probably will be good films. Into the Spider-Verse 2 and the Spider Gwen spinoff will be great. Sony Pictures TV + Lord and Miller probably means the TV Universe will be great.

So, it's a bit of a stretch to say that they'll be shit content, but ymmv.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the first 2 Raimi movies, they're the gold standard for what Spider-Man should be IMO, but everything after that just REALLY bad, I'm talking about live action here, into the spider-verse is amazing, but they will fuck it up. Sony doesn't know what makes a great movie great, so they can repeat and improve.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their new name obviously is way better lol. Here's hoping for a Spider-Verse 2 announcement trailer next year.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
There's a reason he died in Into the Spider-Verse. The "perfect Peter" doesn't exist.

Now, a version based on Peter B. Parker? That's the stuff.
I meant age wise. I believe he was 27 or 28 in the film. So a couple years older than PS4 Spider-Man. I think Jake Johnson Peter Parker was a almost 40? Which I wouldn't be opposed to either.

But I wouldn't say he was the "Perfect Peter." He was essentially Peter B. Parker 10 years before (divorce, jadedness, etc.).

Pine did nail the swagger of adult Spider-Man though. I wish he got more screen time (or if he's Ultimate Peter, they bring him back to life).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I meant age wise. I believe he was 27 or 28 in the film. So a couple years older than PS4 Spider-Man. I think Jake Johnson Peter Parker was a almost 40? Which I wouldn't be opposed to either.

But I wouldn't say he was the "Perfect Peter." He was essentially Peter B. Parker 10 years before (divorce, jadedness, etc.).

Pine did nail the swagger of adult Spider-Man though. I wish he got more screen time (or if he's Ultimate Peter, they bring him back to life).

Oh, you want something closer to current comic Spider-Man.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Far From Home made $1.1b at the box office. Obviously, the multiverse stuff catapulted this new trailer to crazy numbers but Holland certainly holds his own.
I think part of the reason why Far From Home's box office was so big was because it released hot off of the heels of Endgame. Those movies were about two months apart.

In my opinion quality wise, Far From Home was just as good as Homecoming. Not any better, not any worse. And Homecoming didn't beat the box office revenue of Spider-Man 3.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the reason why Far From Home's box office was so big was because it released hot off of the heels of Endgame. Those movies were about two months apart.

In my opinion quality wise, Far From Home was just as good as Homecoming. Not any better, not any worse. And Homecoming didn't beat the box office revenue of Spider-Man 3.

Far from home having 100% of the high school get snapped for no discernable reason was a big eye roll moment for me

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If I was running Sony a Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen film with Emma Stone would already be filming, Andrew would get a cash truckload just to be killed off, Feige could keep Tom Holland and do whatever they wanted as long as we keep the profits. But yknow a Kraven movie is cool too

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Disney are on very good terms right now. The recent Disney+ deal should show that we don't have too much to worry about with Spidey's future.

He's going to stay in the MCU. Though I do think Disney is going to wait for Venom 2 to underperform and Mobius to completely fucking bomb to finalize any sort of deal. I'm sure they are aware that once it's clear that Sony's universe isn't going anywhere and that Venom was a fluke, they won't have to worry about crazy demands from Sony.
I think the Spider-man ride at California Adventure also bodes well for a long term deal with Sony since if Sony/Holland were done with the MCU we probably would have seen a ride based on a different character.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
With the whole Multiverse thing they can probably just officially designate Sony's universe as universe S-4658 and let them do whatever with it, so long as Disney also get Holland for their own stuff.

While I agree that SPE is a weak division that should ultimately be divested, how many savant comic book nerd high level executives that care more about the nerdy aspect than the money like Feige are there? If Chapek runs Feige out of the company I guarantee everyone will be trying to snatch him up.

Feige's brought in so much money to Disney that I'd like to think there'd be an internal revolt if Chapek let that happen. It's not like anyone seems to particularly like Chapek to begin with.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Far from home having 100% of the high school get snapped for no discernable reason was a big eye roll moment for me
you mean 100% of Peter's high school friends right? because there was a character in that movie that used to be younger than the main cast and after the snap back, was the same age as all of them

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Would Sony ever make a Holland Spider-Man film without Marvel doing it for them?
I said this in the NwH trailer thread and I don't know if this is true, but one thing that I heard was that Sony was always going to go with a Spider-Verse story for Tom Holland's Spider-Man 3. They would have just substituted Dr. Strange with Madame Web.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
I am curious to see if there is a recent spike in digital sales of the Raimi trilogy due to the new spider-man NWH trailer. If so, then I have a feeling Sony will be willing to renegotiate a contract to get spider-man into more MCU films.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the opposite. First, Sony being Sony, I bet they think they can trick everyone into thinking that their future Spider-Man movies are still the MCU (Remember how many bogus industry rumors we got about Amazing Spider-Man sharing the skyline with Avengers 1, or how Holland was going to appear on Venom -Those probably were started by Sony themselves- ), and get the movie to 1.5 billion, or whatever unrealistic goal they have, without sharing the revenue.

Probably they think the franchise they have (Tobey, and Tom Holland by themselves) is the one attracting audiences, not the MCU or the quality of the movies themselves. And those digital sales fuel that, probably the executives are texting among themselves "See! We don't need Marvel Studios, people love our franchise, let's exploit that! Also what music is Gen-Z listening now to put in the final battle??"

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I feel the opposite. First, Sony being Sony, I bet they think they can trick everyone into thinking that their future Spider-Man movies are still the MCU (Remember how many bogus industry rumors we got about Amazing Spider-Man sharing the skyline with Avengers 1, or how Holland was going to appear on Venom -Those probably were started by Sony themselves- ), and get the movie to 1.5 billion, or whatever unrealistic goal they have, without sharing the revenue.

Probably they think the franchise they have (Tobey, and Tom Holland by themselves) is the one attracting audiences, not the MCU or the quality of the movies themselves. And those digital sales fuel that, probably the executives are texting among themselves "See! We don't need Marvel Studios, people love our franchise, let's exploit that! Also what music is Gen-Z listening now to put in the final battle??"

This is exactly what will happen.