• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
User Banned (3 Days) Antagonising Other Members
Finding negative news about PSVR is the OP's MO.

People that have never even heard of Starblood Arena, much less played it, are now in this thread and very, very concerned about this game.

Well done, the thread is working as intended.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

People that have never even heard of Starblood Arena, much less played it, are now in this thread and very, very concerned about this game.

Most people don't even care about the game, though. The problem is a different one but I guess you ignored that intentionally as it was and is obvious.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This should be called out.

Where were you when Sony shut down the servers to Gravity Rush 2?

We pay for Sony's online service.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Most people don't even care about the game, though. The problem is a different one but I guess you ignored that intentionally as it was and is obvious.

Yeah, I didn't mean to intentionally ignore anything.

I agree that shutting down the servers for any paid game after only a couple of years, (including Starblood Arena) is a terrible practice, and just a bad look for the companies involved.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry but people paid money for this game and Sony now charges for multiplayer.

No excuse for this.

If Sony is going to continue shutting down servers for games despite charging for Plus, then switch to P2P for your games or something.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How long should it be playable for? Forever? They looked at the numbers and axed it.

If you're gonna point out corporate defending, maybe don't do it while displaying faux outrage.

What? Why do the players that paid full price for the game need to have their purchase literally erased because "not enough people played it"? As has been pointed out, there are better ways to handle servers. They're not keeping a data center with 10 nerds 24 hours to have Starblood running. It's just another server instance on a VM.

I have given up on MP-only games because of this very issue - you might get a few games on launch week, but soon your purchase will be worth zero and there are no refunds so...

If you're gonna defend corporate, maybe don't do it when people paid for a product they didn't get.

(unless you agree that all games are really just glorified rentals, in which case... maybe you're on the right track)

Most people don't care about Playstation at all, much less PSVR. Most people that care about Playstation don't care about much beyond Call of Duty. Should most people decide what happens to whatever game you paid for and enjoy but most people didn't like?

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good look. I think I bought this before it hit PS+

A refund would be nice, although unlikely....

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
To think that there's still dead-ish Xbox 360 games with active servers to this day. Sony is definitely trigger-happy when it comes to shooting down servers of underperforming games.

To be fair, most of them don't have dedicated servers. Most are P2P and use Xbox Live for matching only. Those games will be up and support all of their multiplayer features until Microsoft shuts down Live for the entire platform.

Any game that uses dedicated servers instead of P2P will be shut down someday.

H4zeVentura

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2018
Oh thats sad, Starblood is a fun game, if you survive the motion sickness.
I am lucky to have a stone like stomach and had fun with this game, but yeah, for a couple hours, then never played it again.
But not because it sucks, it's just too much of a hassle to setup PSVR for a couple rounds of Starblood.
If you got it on PS+, try it while you still can!

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
So how long do we have to make the most of what we have?

We have 7 months.

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Wow why such a short period of time. Sonymakes Alot from PS plus subs. Cant they do more to support those that bought the game.

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I don't normally like to be that guy who accuses others of defending "anti-consumer" actions, but: why are you defending this anti-consumer action?

The way people put the interests of the corporation who provides them with Gaming Content™ above their own interests is fucking wild, man. "Why should they keep servers open and waste money?" Oh, idunno, because they sold a product to people that relied on those servers? They got money from a bunch of people for that game, who reasonably expected that it would be usable for more than two years? Why is it your concern if keeping those servers open is a waste of money? It's part of the cost of providing people with the game they already paid for.

And before people start with the strawman of "oh, so you think the servers should be up forever?" (EDIT: too late...), no, nobody's saying that. It's unreasonable to expect that the servers for any game will be up until the heat death of the universe. But the people buying the game do have a reasonable expectation that it will be playable for a reasonable amount of time, and I'd love to hear someone tell me why they think it's okay for that to only be two years.

You're allowed to like your PlayStation and still think that Sony occasionally does bullshit moves, guys.

The hero we don't deserve, truly.

What if some unknowing parent buys their kid this game because it's a fiver in a bargain bin at ASDA, only to find that a week later it's useless. It's not a good look and it's obviously something that's been planned for a while - these decisions aren't made over breakfast. Yet they'll still be selling the game on the PlayStation Store, and retailers that are still holding stock will be selling a few copies between now and Death Day. If Sony had any respect for its customers, it'd pull the game from sale with at least 6 months notice that it's going to be killed off, because I guarantee somebody will buy the game digitally, realise it has an expiration date, request a refund and then be told to get lost.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does server for a single game even exist still? Shouldn't this kind of service work on demand? Like, if nobody is using, them it's not costing anything.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shit move indeed. I stopped buying any multiplayer game on Sony platform long ago.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's a real damn shame, Starblood was a great game that just didn't have much meat on the bones to keep me hooked. At least there is still some time to get matches in.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any current stats on this game? The numbers must be terribly low for them to consider this.
I can't cite numbers, but anecdotally I played on a weekend at normally high traffic times, and it struggled to find me any matches outside of the default mode. Even that took a while.
I just downloaded the game and tried it. I got into a match about 1 minute. Not sure what the normal pace is.

Nov 1, 2017
How on earth can you defend this?? It's only been on shelves for two years. Even Nintendo is better in that regard (and their online support is... well, not the greatest lol).

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it just cost saving then?
We don't know, of course, but it seems that Sony doesn't use state of the art technology when it comes to servers for gaming. But no matter what, it seems they are more likely to shut down a service than the competition and are not able to run instances of their servers on demand which is, for 2019, not the brightest look.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hate such news. It seems only Sony are doing this. Still bitter about Spirits of Destiny server shutdown. Game was good ffs. Stop that shit Sony. Give games at least 10years before you kill them off entirely. We´re in 2019 Jesus Christ. Everything is online these days except Sony (online) games.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
This game has always been unplayable for me, I got into exactly one game and after that it would just crash back to the beginning. Sometimes I would go back and check if I could try it out again but it never worked for me on PS4 pro. Felt completely broken.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
One of the worst games I played on PSVR. Didn't work at launch, had terrible humour, just very little there. Sometimes you just gotta cut stuff like this loose rather than keep paying server bills.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Just checked the subreddit, the last post was 58 days ago and that was talking about how the game was dead.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Regardless of how dead the game is, I find it very hard to find any angle to defend this when PS+ is bringing in billions of dollars per year, we're told, to provide an online service and feature set. This is exactly the sort of thing that the subscription fee is supposed to be paying for - server cost. This is supposed to be the benefit of a paid subscription model. It's been years since Sony started charging for online play and the service hasn't improved in any tangible way.

At the very least, Sony should be patching the game to allow offline play and allow players to host P2P/LAN matches. That would allow players who have already bought and paid for the game to keep playing it, while also appeasing the anti-consumerists who think Sony should just shut down every game that isn't popular because they're apparently losing money on this $60/yr service.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is something about how Sony has handled online services for the last two generations that actually bothers me. I don't like that major features for online titles can be dropped when the online service is paid. I totally understand there are practicalities in play, and we've seen examples of games getting extended sunset windows, but this is still a bummer.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Waaaaaaaaaah! Sony needs to stop closing servers that nobody uses!

They gave out this game for free of PS+ and still nobody plays it. Why should they keep servers open and waste money?

Why don't they have a proper cloud service for PS+ so that servers could be spun up on the fly whenever and wherever they need to be? It eliminates the need to have a dedicated server.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I think for a lot of people, the fact that games are a business is lost on them. Sorry, but servers and upkeep don't run on goodwill and positive thoughts. If people are not supporting the game either monetarily or with play time, it won't survive.

In every single game with some sort of online features, in the EULA or elsewhere, they state in one way or another that all online features may be disabled, with or without notice. They are giving you six months notice with this game.

Sony did not develop this game, so this statement holds zero weight.

So every game with online capabilities should stay up in perpetuity, even if the developer is running at a loss by doing so? Sorry no, that's not how business works. If you want the games you like to stay up, support them.

But how would they know they needed to add a prior disclaimer when the process of putting this game out was to foster a player base? No one sells a game with the intentions that two years down the line, the game would come to an end because the player base faltered. They put it out with the intentions of making sure it can last and become something big. So if they pushed and pushed to get this game exposed via every avenue they could and it didn't work, then what should have done? Keep the game active and run that server forever, or calm the waves of actual upset and drama that they will receive if a more popular game that is doing well, is growing and needs those extra resources, is showing signs of slow down and lack of matchmaking etc that will very much cause them to lose more customers on the top end. Which one would you say is more important? 1 or 25 million and growing? We don't know the server cost Sony is renting to say whether or not the cost is more than enough for them to sustain, but I also believe in reducing redundancy if it can be used elsewhere.

Then what's the point of making games if no one plays them? What's the point of making an online multiplayer game is people don't play online? Yes, games are made for gamers to play so gamers are the livelihood of what game lives or dies. Gamers do bear that responsibility along with the companies who make them. If the gamers don't want to play anymore, the game dies, and at that point, the business has the right to make the decision to do what they need to move on if they have the numbers to show that engagement is done. When it comes to online games where the entire function of the game depends on that and it truly dies, then what? Go into the negative? Where's the end game? So gamers are allowed to move on but companies can't? Huh?

Both sides take a lost. I don't believe in refund protection after two years because something is discontinued. That's crazy.

If you can find me evidence that points to PS+ solely being used to upkeep servers, you win....but the truth is, that is not the only thing a $60 fee feeds, and well..it might not even be the thing that it actually feeds as well.

It's not discontinued. 'Discontinued' is 'we are not selling this game anymore'. What they have actually done is render the products that people have already bought worthless after only two years with no explanation or anything. All this while take an exorbitant monthly fee to supposedly fund exactly this. I don't need to prove where the PS+ money goes because it's explicitly collected as payment for online multiplayer therefore it's entirely reasonable for consumers to expect that that is what it will be spent on. If your expectation of customer service is so low that all this doesn't sound shady to you, then I honestly don't know what to say to you.

You guys are so quick to jump to Sony's defence but do you even know the player counts for this game? What is the basis for this defence?

As for your attempts to blame this on consumer. You guys talk like releasing games is some kind of partnership with these companies. That's it's a two way street and gamers need to 'do their bit' to keep servers open. What actually happened is they sold people a product and then two years later decided to basically destroy it. There's no obligation on consumers; it's all on the party that took people's money. That's how a contract of sale works.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why Sony's server always shut down. Killzone 2/3 servers died in March last year, and Twisted Metal's servers shut down in like 4 days.

However, I can still play online with Gears of War (360) after like what, 16 years? Microsoft is great about keeping its servers up.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
We don't know, of course, but it seems that Sony doesn't use state of the art technology when it comes to servers for gaming. But no matter what, it seems they are more likely to shut down a service than the competition and are not able to run instances of their servers on demand which is, for 2019, not the brightest look.

Does any pub use state of the art server tech for gaming? Sony is a strange one, they should include a P2P option in future titles.

That's why they are doing this. And it will happen in the future. Nobody playing it online? Shutting down the serves.
Simple as that.

There's more to it than just numbers.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I don't have an issue with removing servers for games, but there should be a minimum guarantee of span of time regardless of whether or not the servers are basically dead. A couple of years whlist still in the same generation is just not on.

Developers possible should consider end of life plans during development, eg: characters skins that are unlocked online, become unlocked with a patch if online portion is removed... any sort of online requirement for single player functionality should also be dropped.

Feasibility aside (as I know it will never happen, logistical nightmare) I would love to see some sort of server archive, with all the stats/unlocks etc are retained rather than just dumped into a recycle bin. THEN, start a rotational "retro" gaming calendar. Killzone 2 was removed early last year, but what if for the month of June 2019 they reinstated the online portion, the following month it gets "archived" again and replaced with something else (eg: Twisted Metal) and so on...

We've seen game servers fill up near end of life, with gamers playing a final few rounds, or try to unlock MP trophies/achievements. I think if given notice that you'd have the chance to play "Game X" online again at some point, you'd have a decent chance to see some high number count again.