• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• I used headphones and definitely noticed Mark Cerny whispering 3D sweet nothings into my ears

Votes: 162 9.5%
  • I used headphones and couldn't tell anything special about it

Votes: 998 58.8%
  • Didn't use headphones

Votes: 490 28.9%
  • Didn't watch lol

Votes: 48 2.8%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. I kept waiting for something like those videos that were posted recently, but it never happened.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally, I've been recommending that audiences keep their hands down their pants for the reveal of the ThammyStation 5.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Positional audio on Ratchet and Clank was very apparent, and there was pretty decent positioning on Horizon. Then again, I'm using a JDS Atom amp with Focal Elex headphones so

Oct 27, 2017
I paid attention during GT7 and thought "is this what I'm listening for? The car engines?" and was confused because I'm sure if I listened to a previous GT or other racer vid on YT with headphones it'd have sounded the same.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
In heard the 3d audio with my headphones. Surround sound pretty good. Dont know what was different than Dolby headphone though.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
Initially i forgot they were doing this but when i switched to headphones I could definitely tell a slight difference, mainly from the Ratchet demo. everything after that was mostly flat and consistent. I should also mention that i watched this on Twitch.

Edit: Watching it now on youtube from a different computer with a cheaper set of headphones. The sound is definitely spacial and often moves from one ear to the other depending on what's happening. It's very noticeable during the ratchet & clank trailer and gameplay. I also want to note that the music for Stray is fantastic

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget, the whole technology is based on the shape of your ears being compatible. The actual console will have 5 different ear styles to choose from to find the one that works best for you, this video only had one of course.

Worked pretty great for me, I wore on-ear noise canceling headphones, and it sounded like surround-sound - not just the trailers, they had the event music coming from all around too. The Gran Turismo gameplay I could hear cars passing from front to back on the right. Of course, then I tried my small bone-conducting headphones, the entire effect was gone.

You can still get the effect from the trailers, so if anyone missed it, just watch a game trailer with the best headphones you have.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I could tell, it was apparent in the Ratchet and Clank demo, but it wasn't mindblowing like some people predicted.

That said, it doesn't mean that other games won't do the 3D Audio justice, we'll have to wait and see.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I not only didn't notice anything, I thought some stuff (RE8) was extremely quiet.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
I couldn't tell if it was my DTS:X or the stream.
I wonder if it even came through over stream or if the compression etc. ruined it.

On YouTube with DTS:X on it sounded fantastic though. GT7 and Ratchet were amazing.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely heard a voice of someone in the Ratchet trailer coming from behind me. Pretty sure there were others but my mind didn't really care that much. There was so much going on.

used the psvr packed in earbuds cause I didn't have any others

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only the glider section in Astrobot. Although 3D audio is probably better experienced when playing the game rather than quick-edited promo videos.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Wouldnt you need supported hardware to even hear the 3D audio processing though? Isnt this like trying to watch hdr videos on non-hdr screens?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Maybe the effect was better in the full quality of the video, but the stream definitely wasn't amazing.

I noticed some nice audio stuff in the Gran Tourismo stuff... but that was basically it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How would they even do that through a streaming service is that a thing
Wouldnt you need supported hardware to even hear the 3D audio processing though? Isnt this like trying to watch hdr videos on non-hdr screens?
No, the processing is just to generate the 3D sound, what is output from the PS5 hardware is just normal stereo sound that works in regular headphones that happens to have characteristics your brain uses to determine the directionality of the sounds. So they just recorded that and played it back later on the stream. However, without the hardware you can't set up your audio profile tuned specifically for your ear type, so it won't work well if your ear type isn't close to the one they chose to record.

Nope but that's maybe because of twitch
You can go to YouTube now and watch the trailers to see if you hear it, if it was a problem with Twitch streaming quality

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At the end with the alien-like reveal and during the Dual sense parts - everything else felt normal.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
There were some great sounding parts with my HD58x's on but I didn't really notice much 3d besides the fact that it did sometimes sound pretty spacial.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because one of the things I was talking about was that the audio sounded weirdly good for an event like this. I listened on my DT770's. The music sounded so damn good during the console reveal but I'm sure audio compression on streaming platforms ruined some of it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Wore my AirPods Pro - turned on ANC even.

Sure, stuff sounded great, because sound always has more oomph when using headphones, but nothing was particularly mindblowing, or new.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
you dont need this for spatial / binaural audio experience. Any set of headphones can work.

I'm assuming that the person mixing the video didn't do much work on the binaural audio experiece.

yeah compare the stream to other binaural youtube videos and it was a night and day difference. There was no "astounding" sound quality as one poster put it

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Other than the actual part where it said 3D audio (which was so brief anyways), I heard nothing different to normal. And I was prepared for something great after listening to some recent YouTube stuff so was left with nothing. Which is a shame because it would have been a great taster for what's to come. Still they could upload plenty of trailers to showcase this now and I hope they do.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay so... I now notice a difference after rewatching some trailers with my TV speakers vs my Headphones and yeah I think I will be picking up those PS5 3D pulse headphones when they come out.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just tried it with the gt7 gameplay. Im not good with sound but itssounds a litlle like the psvr does. Stuff kind of sounds like its "out there". Had to move them around on my ears before i got any effect. Kinda neat. Probably will be better irl.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Why would there be anything different? At best you would have got a good binaural stream.

You're not playing this on PS5 hardware, so you... don't benefit from it's marketed sound processing and it's all up to your playback device capabilities.

Sony marketing is powerful, but kinda a bit too shameless lately i feel.

That stream quality was also something else...

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
I really notice it in Ratchet Clank. not much different compare to normal surrounding audio. GT7 audio work really outstanding too