• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
What you should be looking at is the sales difference between PS4 and XB1 5 quarters into last gen. The PS4 didn't build that 2:1 sales lead overnight.

Right now, PS4 is tracking 40% ahead of the Xbox series, every month that they sell more consoles than Xbox, that number increases. In 4 years, we will be right back at that 2:1 overall ratio.... but I doubt MS cares about that this time around.
It's not going to be 2:1 this gen. Both companies are doing some very good things. It's not only Sony this time.

Jul 2, 2021
The chip-shortage is brutal for the PS5.
They are selling every PS5 they can make but it's clearly not enough.
So expect more cross-gen games and PC ports coming sooner rather than later.
You can't have all these AAA studios and expensive AAA projects for a PS5 userbase that is struggling to reach 20 million.

At least Sony is trying all they can:

62% digital ratio.
Yeah, PS6 will be digital only at this point.
That's not going to happen. You will get both.
yeah also it wasn't just spider man that propelled the films division. James Bond also came out in November to box office success
James Bond is MGM (Amazon).

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's not going to be 2:1 this gen. Both companies are doing some very good things. It's not only Sony this time.

But it would be 2:1 right now if it wasn't for shortages. If you look at other countries not US or UK, its 10:1. If you are telling me the Xbox is going have huge lead in the US I just don't see it happening.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I see 40% more PS5 sold then XboxSeries, while XSS is widely available*.
XSS is a nice option, but not the route to success.

I believe the worldwide numbers will be pretty near to eachother when XSX and PS5 are really available.

* That is atleast the case in Europe. Maybe i'm wrong about the US.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
You can't have all these AAA studios and expensive AAA projects for a PS5 userbase that is struggling to reach 20 million.

That's not going to happen. You will get both.

James Bond is MGM (Amazon).

They're certainly not hitting 20 million as fast as they hoped for, but "struggling" to reach that number is a bit severe, imo. They'll likely hit 20 million sold-through in April, while the ps4 did it in its corresponding March.

May 25, 2019
London

This is my takeaway as well.

The bellwether will be how soon we see a PC port for Horizon Forbidden West. First game is already on PC and has built a steady audience there. Is it possible we see it on PC by next February?

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020

I thought that plant is for image sensors?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
111m MAU (monthly active users)
  • 111m active users each spent about $42.37 on average on PSN during Q3 FY21
This is quite interesting. $14/month from 111M users.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017

This is false information though? PS4 sold 20.2M in March 2015 - 3 months later.

PlayStation®4 (PS4™) Sales Surpass 20.2 Million Units Worldwide

Tokyo, March 4, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 20.2 million units*1 worldwide as of March 1. PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in...

It was at 18.5M in the same time-frame:
www.jp.playstation.com

404 - お探しのページは存在しません。

Oct 27, 2017
I had to Google who the CEO of Sony was (Kenichiro Yoshida). He's quietly done an amazing job. No gifs or anything

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I agree with this. I do think it's going to be well over 40% though, once the supply chain eases up again (which could take quite a while)
By the time the supply chain eases up again COD could be exclusive to Xbox and there will very likely be a steady flow of AAA exclusives releasing on the console. I think this is going to be a gen where a lot of people are going to have both consoles, especially with the Series S being such a cheap way to get access to Xbox exclusives.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I agree with this. I do think it's going to be well over 40% though, once the supply chain eases up again
I don't think this either. The XSX is just as hot as the PS5 right now. The XSS on the other hand is not.
But it would be 2:1 right now if it wasn't for shortages. If you look at other countries not US or UK, its 10:1. If you are telling me the Xbox is going have huge lead in the US I just don't see it happening.
The XSX is not walk in the store available similar to the PS5. That's the most desired Xbox console. I don't want to derail the thread. We can take it somewhere else.

Jul 2, 2021
While this is true, every one of the recent Bonds until No Time to Die was distributed by Sony. This one was distributed by Universal, even though MGM produced it.
I know. He was talking about the latest James Bond movie. And this one wasn't a Sony movie.
This is my takeaway as well.

The bellwether will be how soon we see a PC port for Horizon Forbidden West. First game is already on PC and has built a steady audience there. Is it possible we see it on PC by next February?
With how things are going right now I say it's possible. The same goes for God of War Ragnarok. PC release one year later.
I thought that plant is for image sensors?
I don't think so.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
I recall this news from late last year.
IIRC it's a brand new fab, which is why it won't be spun up until 2024.

I know. He was talking about the latest James Bond movie. And this one wasn't a Sony movie.

With how things are going right now I say it's possible. The same goes for God of War Ragnarok. PC release one year later.

I don't think so.

OK thanks for clarifying. So this new lab will be focused on producing chips for cars, phones and other devices, right? It won't be helpful in resolving PS5 demand problem, although I suppose it could alleviate issues elsewhere?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
In short, ladies and gentlemen of the board, costs are down, revenues are up and our stock has never been higher.

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I don't think this either. The XSX is just as hot as the PS5 right now. The XSS on the other hand is not.
The XSX is not walk in the store available similar to the PS5. That's the most desired Xbox console. I don't want to derail the thread. We can take it somewhere else.

I don't disagree. But what said here is irrelevant to the conversation. Again it's going to 2:1 again if Xbox don't sell consoles in other countries not name US and UK.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
They're certainly not hitting 20 million as fast as they hoped for, but "struggling" to reach that number is a bit severe, imo. They'll likely hit 20 million sold-through in April, while the ps4 did it in its corresponding March.
How? You're adding Q4 sales to PS5 but not PS4 launch aligned. The comparisons show PS4 was at 20 million launch aligned that figure will have to add 3 more months when we get to end of Q4.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
This is false information though? PS4 sold 20.2M in March 2015 - 3 months later.

Tokyo, March 4, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 20.2 million units*1 worldwide as of March 1. PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in...

www.jp.playstation.com

404 - お探しのページは存在しません。

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
OK thanks for clarifying. So this new lab will be focused on producing chips for cars, phones and other devices, right? It won't be helpful in resolving PS5 demand problem, although I suppose it could alleviate issues elsewhere?
Correct, this will do nothing for Playstation unless one of their bottlenecks is USB port chipsets or similar IO level chips.

Car manufacturers are getting DESTROYED by the lack of USB and simple LCD chips.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
There's a transcript of the earnings call here, and Q+A.

A number of questions about strategic invesment and Bungie, and some more detail on the breakdown of the $3.6bn value on the deal.

seekingalpha.com

Sony Group Corporation (SONY) on Q3 2021 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Sony Group Corporation (NYSE:NYSE:SONY) Q3 2021 Earnings Conference Call February 2, 2022 1:30 AM ETCompany ParticipantsSadahiko Hayakawa - Incharge of...

A little bit of a side track, but there's a question about VR and PSVR2 - and for those who weren't sure if the eye tracking would be usable for foveated rendering, an answer there seems to carry explicit confirmation that it will.

New thread worthy?
I think this is big news.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

www.jp.playstation.com

404 - お探しのページは存在しません。
Yeah that looks more aligned there.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be that person but this 17.2M lifetime # thru 2021 would put PS5 at roughly 5M above the believed 12/12.2M Xbox Series LTD thru 2021 right? I think it was Zhuge who indicated Series finished 2021 around 12M?

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017

Well that just highlights the difference - PS4 was widely available by then, PS5 isn't even close. So the actual sell-through is much closer than shipment numbers, and Sony fell way behind with production.

Now I also wonder if XBox estimates are directly comparable or not - depending on whether he's estimating sell-through or shipments.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
The supply constraint is the perfect time to shift mindshare for Xbox/Microsoft away from PlayStation if they play their cards right. Acquisitions will continue to ensure people don't jump ship from one ecosystem to another.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
A little bit of a side track, but there's a question about VR and PSVR2 - and for those who weren't sure if the eye tracking would be usable for foveated rendering, an answer there seems to carry explicit confirmation that it will.

Nice nugget of info, that pretty much settles it then. Foveated Rendering here we go!