• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Time to get some Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and Spider-Man sales updates :)

Talking out of my ass but I would say:

Uncharted 4: Long past 10 million, since it sold 8.7 million in 7 months

Horizon Zero Dawn: Maybe it is closing in 10 million, since it sold 7.6 million in 1 year

God of War: Definitely 10+ million, since it sold 5 million in 1 month

Spiderman: 10+ million too

Basically every one is at 10+ million

Sony first party is ridiculous this gen, they are reaching Nintendo status

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 has also a chance to make new yearly record in terms of sw shipped this year (breaking PS2 record). PS2 shipped 252 million units of software during FY ending March 2005. PS4 is at 203 million before last quarter (last year PS4 shipped 52 million units of sw during last quarter)

I doubt the interns making the device didn't eat up too many resources.

Sure. it didn't probably lose that much money. It could have made nice amount though if they had made better product.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Because you posted graphs without any comment or context for them and then again refuse to acknowledge comments about them. No matter how much you try to play it off as if I'm being unreasonable you're fooling nobody. Again they aren't like for like due to the non console sales bundled in with MS' game revenue reporting. It's clear what you're trying to do by painting a picture devoid of context.
Yeah I guess i got a first for my ignore list.
I'm willing to discuss anything about financials, just not with a person that acts like you.
And that bold part is still wrong.

24% of Microsofts gaming revenue is Hardware & Accessories for Q4CY18
38% of Sonys gaming revenue is Hardware & Accessories for Q4CY18
That is as like for like as it gets.

The context is that he is proud (for some reason) that XBOX has a high digital attach rate. Don't kink shame.
If anyone should be proud it's the Company itself if they set a traget for themselves and reached or surpassed that.

This is embarrassing. I'm definitely not visit a Sony financial topic again.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M9ZnYm7.png

What the fuck are they doing?

Why are they adding more waste to their process?

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
ZhugeEX
Don't you think too that the number Sony report about software seems false ?

We do know that as of Dec 31 2018 (Q3 FY2018), there are 876m software sold
And the number of software sold for FY2015/16/17 are available here (page 7)
And the number as of end of Q3 FY2013 was 9.7m software sold
They announced 20.5m software sold as of 13th April 2014

I made a summary here and even with these numbers, I can't have the number of at least 80m+ at the end of FY2014 (81.8m software sold (as of 4th Jan 2015))

Do you have an idea ?

1549027992-capture-d-ecran-2019-02-01-a-14-32-42.png

Because 876 million is software sold through to consumers inc digital sales.
The software numbers reported in Sony's financials are shipments to retail inc digital sales. So actually the total number of software shipped is higher than 876m.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Talking out of my ass but I would say:

Uncharted 4: Long past 10 million, since it sold 8.7 million in 7 months

Horizon Zero Dawn: Maybe it is closing in 10 million, since it sold 7.6 million in 1 year

God of War: Definitely 10+ million, since it sold 5 million in 1 month

Spiderman: 10+ million too

Basically every one is at 10+ million

Sony first party is ridiculous this gen, they are reaching Nintendo status
Yeah, the rise of Sony's 1st party output is amazing. Imo Uncharted 4, TLOU, TLOU2, God of War, Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn will sell well over 10 million copies worldwide.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Damn, going to hit 100M in a little over 5 years. I never would have dreamed, even as optimistic I was at launch after they announced price. And if you had said it could hit these numbers and not even be at 10M in Japan, I would have laughed in your face.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Well done Sony. I imagine they'll sit on the PS5 reveal until Microsoft goes so they can ride this gravy train for as long as possible.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome results by Sony! Hardware sales are still quite high despite being "down", and it's no surprise that PSN continues to thrive. I still can't believe that we're looking at results like this for the console gen that people thought wouldn't happen.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Imagine how much Sony is making from royalties on each game sold, and an even higher cut when it's sold digitally. Damn.
Not enough for them to be top dog companies like Apple Google MS and Amazon. I want a super stable Sony in the industry, wealthy non-arrogant Sony seems like it rises all tides.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the rise of Sony's 1st party output is amazing. Imo Uncharted 4, TLOU, TLOU2, God of War, Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn will sell well over 10 million copies worldwide.

The Last of Us 2 should be the biggest Sony game launch ever imo

It will launch on a 100 million install base

It is going to be freaking gigantic

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Drop that pro and og in price permanently and wow ps4 will keep tht momentum and have crazy legs even if ps5 comes out early 2020. My ps4 in living room is day one but acts up sometimes give me 199 permanent price and I'll eventually by another :)

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Sony breaking records with PS4, and no new first party game announced for 1.5 years, too 1.5 years from last firmware with features.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Great numbers, and they still sell ps4 for 300 and pro for 400 bucks. Imagine a ps4 slim 500 GB bundle with GTA VI for 200 bucks in 2021. It will sell crazy.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seems investors are not happy with Sony results,stock is down more then 9% today.

This is how WSJ reacted:

Sony May Need a New PlayStation Soon
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-may-need-a-new-playstation-soon-11549022877

What do you think ZhugeEX ?

In general Sony has other segments which aren't performing as well. In terms of games, the big challenge for next fiscal year is whether Sony can grow profit despite an expected drop in hardware sales. So a lot will rely on network sales growth, more so than before. Also a lot of uncertainty around PS5 and next gen in general.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
In general Sony has other segments which aren't performing as well. In terms of games, the big challenge for next fiscal year is whether Sony can grow profit despite an expected drop in hardware sales. So a lot will rely on network sales growth, more so than before. Also a lot of uncertainty around PS5 and next gen in general.

Indeed.Thanks!

torresregen

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
What are these other segments? Sony Mobile is pretty much the only loss leader. And they have just restructured that division.

Sony as a whole has kept its $7.7bn forecast

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
Do you know why their financial services revenue was down around 1.9 billion USD compared to last year?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Seems investors are not happy with Sony results,stock is down more then 9% today.

This is how WSJ reacted:

Sony May Need a New PlayStation Soon
https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-may-need-a-new-playstation-soon-11549022877

What do you think ZhugeEX ?

Capitalism sure is weird.

Sony - "Hey guys, we've got a record success for a system that's five years old that is beating the competition very confidently, even when the rivals are doing well!"

Investors - "SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN"

But anyway, it's an incredible success for Sony. I don't think they will match it with the PS5 (Especially given that Nintendo and Microsoft aren't going to be overconfident this time around) but they will do well if their investment and planning goes smoothly.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Sony - "Hey guys, we've got a record success for a system that's five years old that is beating the competition very confidently, even when the rivals are doing well!"

But anyway, it's an incredible success for Sony. I don't think they will match it with the PS5 (Especially given that Nintendo and Microsoft aren't going to be overconfident this time around) but they will do well if their investment and planning goes smoothly.

Frankly,i think PS5 will be,in a sense,new PS2.
PS4 was kinda new beginning for Sony,like PS1 back in 1995. (after PS3 disaster)

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Is it worth it to buy a ps4 if I will literally never have time to play games in multiplayer? I'd kinda like to try Spider-Man out but I don't want to feel beholden to a subscription I'll get no use from.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
100 million with barely any price drops. Will be crazy to see where the PS4's LTD will be when they finally stop manufacturing it.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
you really didn't b/c you compared % without numbers attached to them for context
You could do the math yourself.
Both numbers are public knowledge.

Sony is $7bn
Microsoft is $4.23bn

Pie-Charts are for %share and breakdowns.

On topic:
Why is netprofit above OI?
What assets did Sony sell? What godwill or tax impact?

Last edited:

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
M9ZnYm7.png

What the fuck are they doing?

Why are they adding more waste to their process?
The costs are crazy.
Even though their PSN revenue alone are crazy high, higher than Nintendo (and MS' gaming division).
Sony's gaming division's net profit is "just" $667m, Nintendo's is $958m.

Anyone know MS' gaming division net profit?

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

Thats not at all whats happening here.
Ps4 shows signs of slowing down and is unlikely to further grow the business, while Ps5 isn't announced yet.
So for investors this is a sign of uncertainty with the possibility of the current situation being the end of a peak.
There is always a certain percentage of investors who are volatile and react strongly to news. If Ps5 announcement isn't a disaster you'll see a similarly large stock hike going along with it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if we know precisely and officially the number of games sold for previous PlayStation consoles, but about those 876 million PS4 software, only two Nintendo systems sold more games, the Nintendo DS (948,6M) and the Wii (920,6M). Moreover, if I understood what Zhuge said before, the PS4 software number is sell-through instead of sell-in.

Also, the PS4 vs Switch hardware was compared enough in other threads, but the number of games is as much important, especially for PS4 at this point of the cycle. In 2018, 255 million PS4 games were sold, compared to 111 million games for Switch (if I didn't screw up my calculation). It's worth noting that with 164 million software LTD, the Switch has already sold almost half of what the 3DS sold in 8 years (376M).

One last note, I saw questions about PS VR sales, but it seems unlikely there was a particular performance there. In the "Others" segment, Sony includes sales of peripherals including PS VR. For october/december 2018, this segment is down from 730M$ to 703M$ in sales year on year. Of course this is not only PS VR and because of all the price cuts it's very possible they sold more PS VR units than last year, but even in this case that was not significant enough to bring more money to the table.

KHGp3Me.jpg

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know MS' gaming division net profit?

We will know MS Gaming division Operating Profit when MS will be leader or at least not as far behind Sony as now

I don't know if we know precisely and officially the number of games sold for previous PlayStation consoles, but about those 876 million PS4 software, only two Nintendo systems sold more games, the Nintendo DS (948,6M) and the Wii (920,6M). Moreover, if I understood what Zhuge said before, the PS4 software number is sell-through instead of sell-in.

I made about this if you're interested in :
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ios-projects-ot2.48452/page-250#post-14518699

And the number reported in fiscal report are number of games sold (= shipments to retailers [sell-in] + digital sales)

Sony disclosed this number sold for FY15/16/17 and so far for FY18, the total is : 826.4m games sold (shipments+digital sales)
And we do know that as of 4 Jan 2015, there were 81.8m games sold-through (so shipments numbers are higher than that)

So as of 31 Dec 2018, the number of PS4 games sold is minimum 908.2m
Therefore, if Sony would report 50m for Q4 FY2018, the number of games sold would reach 958.2m games sold minimum

And it would officially beat Wii and NDS numbers, near PS1 (962m) and PS3 estimates of 950-970m (all these are shipments + digital sales)

Previous Q4 were 50.6m (FY2016) and 52m (FY2017) so it might reach 50m too for Q4 FY2018

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
We will know MS Gaming division Operating Profit when MS will be leader or at least not as far behind Sony as now

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ios-projects-ot2.48452/page-250#post-14518699

And the number reported in fiscal report are number of games sold (= shipments to retailers [sell-in] + digital sales)

Sony disclosed this number sold for FY15/16/17 and so far for FY18, the total is : 826.4m games sold (shipments+digital sales)
And we do know that as of 4 Jan 2015, there were 81.8m games sold-through (so shipments numbers are higher than that)

Therefore, if Sony would report 50m for Q4 FY2018, the number of games sold would reach 958.2m games sold minimum

And it would officially beat Wii and NDS numbers, near PS1 (962m) and PS3 estimates of 950-970m (all these are shipments + digital sales)

Previous Q4 were 50.6m (FY2016) and 52m (FY2017) so it might reach 50m too for Q4 FY2018

Thanks for all the precisions !

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if we know precisely and officially the number of games sold for previous PlayStation consoles
We have shipment numbers - PS4 sell-through is going to overtake PS3 and PS1 shipments within next 2-3 quarters on software. Worth noting that 250M+/year is a number that only PS2 reached before on Sony consoles, and even that only hit that high once IIRC, while PS4 is on-track to repeat it this year, and who knows how FY 2019 will look like.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Software sales are at 876m, it's right in the report on page 8 https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_supplement.pdf
The thing is though, the numbers do indeed not add up. Sony puts the number at 777.9m as of June 30th 2018 and at 876m as of December 31st 2018, a difference of 98.1m. Yet they reported shipment of 75.1m in Q2 and 87.2m in Q3, which would put the number at 162.3m. So yeah, uhm what Sony?

Last edited: