• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
cMfkFGP.gif

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Also important, while the operating income decrased for the quarter, they are still way up year on year for the fiscal year. Those numbers righe here are monstrous

vMkNIcH.jpg

Wow an 83% increase in OI for Q1-Q3 from the prior year is incredible.
I really love how Playstation is basically the main profit driver for Sony.

At least it appears they are slowly reinvesting cash into PSN like with the cloud storage increase.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So that puts it at 94.2 million shipped to 91.6 million sold for December 31.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
The graphic showing the losses of the PS3 and the earnings with the PS4 will never stop being incredible.

I mean, those threads were for the NPD/US data, no? This is Worldwide
there were still a good amount of people that were confident that worldwide wouldn't be enough to put PS4 ahead

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Wow an 83% increase in OI for Q1-Q3 from the prior year is incredible.
I really love how Playstation is basically the main profit driver for Sony.

At least it appears they are slowly reinvesting cash into PSN like with the cloud storage increase.
The music segment actually posted more than double the operational income of PS (mainly due to the acquisition of EMI which puts them as the biggest music publisher in the world) so for once PS might not be the main profit driver for Sony this quarter.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had expected Nintendo to edge out Sony in console sales for 2018 once it became evident that Sony wasn't doing a price drop. Damn. 5 years old, on the back-end of its life, and still market leader! But props to Sony, they had a good year both of first-party and, as always, third-party, releases. Sony consoles have become so consistent, I feel like they have done almost everything right this generation.

Absolutely crazy a 5 year old console that didn't have any official price reductions(at least in NA where it's still $299) all year outside of Black Friday is still going so strong. This momentum will surely carry on to PS5.

The lack of official price drops makes this even more impressive, yeah. Sony could have been more aggressive on pricing but in the end, it didn't hurt them much at all.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
The music segment actually posted more than double the operational income of PS (mainly due to the acquisition of EMI which puts them as the biggest music publisher in the world) so for once PS might not be the main profit driver for Sony this quarter.

Ahh yeah the Q3 chart on prior page shows you are correct.
I totally forgot about the EMI purchase too.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn they beat Switch again? Sony is huge in rotw, even Switch can't beat it 5 years in and without much price cut

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
This puts into prospective how much PS is bigger in the ROTW and Europe than anyone else. Being beating by such a margin (1.5 million in japan alone) and yet closing the gap.
Absolute beast of a console. Also insane is how Sony sold more consoles in one quarter than MS sold all year. Absolutely behemoth of a brand PlayStation is.
We have numbers for Xbox? or are you just estimating?

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Absolute beast of a console. Also insane is how Sony sold more consoles in one quarter than MS sold all year. Absolutely behemoth of a brand PlayStation is.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Biggest story of 2018 is once again the network side.

PSN total revenue (Full Game Downloads, Add On Content, Subscriptions) hit 1373 billion yen for the full year, up 48% YoY.
That alone is higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018. Haven't even included hardware, accessories or packaged software in the Sony number.

DyTSSMlWoAARBlJ.jpg

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Switch and PS4 so close for the year!

Great result for Sony. I think things will drop considerably this year though, but a price cut could keep them in the game.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

PSN total revenue (Full Game Downloads, Add On Content, Subscriptions) hit 1373 billion yen for the full year, up 48% YoY.
That alone is higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018. Haven't even included hardware, accessories or packaged software in the Sony number.

DyTSSMlWoAARBlJ.jpg
this is the 55% revenue of services and and games on the pie chart correct?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DyTSSMlWoAARBlJ.jpg
Jesus, makes sense why Nintendo is pushing NSO. It also helps that Sony is pretty good with digital sales and people moving quite a bit to digital

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch outsold PS4 for the holiday quarter. Sony made good deals in Europe and Japan, but was too conservative on US.

Anyway, great year for PS4, it's dropping slowly. 2019 shoud be another substancial year, like 14m.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_supplement.pdf
page 8 has total software sales, and the digital vs physical in money and units, but page 9 is where you go awww though, as you're right, no new title specific updates, just a list of all the announcements to date
Someone at Sony just needs to give us all the historic shipment data for all of their titles going back to PS1. Ain't no harm at this stage surely. Especially when there's probably a bunch of 10+ million sellers in recent years with Uncharted 3/4, TLoU, God of War, Spidey, Horizon etc.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has to have BC for PS4 for costumers to gain more trust in the service and buy digitally even more.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't there usually a conference call or something that happens soon after this info is released? When does that happen?

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So as I guessed PS4 shipped and sold more worldwide than Switch by a small margin during the natural year 2018.

It's surprising to me that if Nintendo and Sony achieve their forecast PS4 also will outsell Switch during this FY. I expected that both would reach 18M-18.5M this FY.

I mean, those threads were for the NPD/US data, no? This is Worldwide
Yes, that thread was about NPD but people were saying there that Switch was also going to outsell PS4 worldwide during 2018, basically calling us crazy to the ones who said may not be the case mostly because PAL region is Sonyland.
god damn did they figure their shit out this generation or what
They basically fixed/avoided the mistakes they had with PS3 launch. Some during PS3 lifetime, others during PS4.

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of an impact Fortnite had on the digital revenue growth and if that growth can be sustained this year without a new juggernaut game?

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wow it's still selling like mad. I guess it will keep on selling this good for another year and a half till Sony releases the PS5

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Best selling console 5 years in a row. Well deserved.

On another note, do something about your Mobile division already Sony. It's clearly not working out for you.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Best selling console 5 years in a row. Well deserved.

On another note, do something about your Mobile division already Sony. It's clearly not working out for you.

They have. They underwent restructuring last year and the new leadership says they've made significant changes. We should see the first steps of that later this month at Mobile World Congress. Just from the leaks we've gotten so far the XZ4 (or whatever it'll be called since there's supposedly a new naming scheme) looks solid, but the "insiders" have been hinting at more for some time now and no one wants to say wtf it is. All we know is those mofos are excited about something. Very curious to see what they'll have to show off.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
They have. They underwent restructuring last year and the new leadership says they've made significant changes. We should see the first steps of that later this month at Mobile World Congress. Just from the leaks we've gotten so far the XZ4 (or whatever it'll be called since there's supposedly a new naming scheme) looks solid, but the "insiders" have been hinting at more for some time now and no one wants to say wtf it is. All we know is those mofos are excited about something. Very curious to see what they'll have to show off.
Interesting. I hope it's something weird like old Sony would produce.

They're basically just letting Sony Music pick up the slack at this point. FGO is a golden goose.
I wonder how much their profits from the Music division come from FGO alone. It's gotta be a pretty sizable chunk.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

DyTSSMlWoAARBlJ.jpg
Jesus, the turn around for Sony this gen has been incredible.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
last 3 4th quarters (calendar) 2016, 9.7:: 2017, 9.0:: 2018 8.1. Clearly on the downside of the life cycle.

However given the age still strong sales and staying power. Honestly 2020 is almost too early for PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting. I hope it's something weird like old Sony would produce.

Who knows. All we can try to gather so far is a 21:9 screen, possibly a 52 megapixel camera, the camera may carry the CineAlta branding which is a branding used on their high end movie cameras, 8K video recording and a bunch of other speculation.

Way too many rumors contradicting other rumors. I wanna know what's going on, but I kinda like it when the water is muddy like this so we can hopefully be surprised at the reveal event.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
There was never any doubt it would be the best selling system of 2018. Spider-Man and that $200 bundle basically confirmed that. I'm curious if a lot of those sales come from that or GoW\RDR2.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Financial Services drop big time which was the company's bread and butter. Guess Sony is doomed now.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloody hell. I think that's the first time I've seen a thread like that. Dudes just make threads about anything now. Next peeps gonna start making individual threads about which console sold the best in UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and so on. Literally seems like a viral marketer going to work.
I knew who made before I clicked it lol.

Congrats to Sony, surprised that it beat the switch, 2019 though will belong to the Switch Pokemon bundle