• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Reading this thread after reading all the weekly Media Create threads is giving me massive whiplash, lol.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ArmGunar with another fantastic Sony Earnings Call thread. Congrats man!
SIE/PS4 is an absolute juggernaut. A lot of "best ever" in the OP ^_^
All this without a First Party JRPG šŸ˜
source.gif

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First of all, fantastic thread. So easy to read. Love your use of colors!

This is fucking massive. In a year they are launching a new console at ($399 and $499). Absolute bonkers. They upped the profit forecast with 25% since aug!
What entails this? Higher than expected first party software sales, or have they managed to decrease production costs for PS5 already.
Software, accessories, PS5 stuff etc. As you can see, besides the DualSense controller, everything PS5 related is sold out . Software sales aren't slowing down. PSN is a beast. So yeah, makes sense :D
PS4's lifetime profits is 5 times bigger than PS2's. This is insane. Sony doesn't have to sold 150 million consoles or something like that.
PS2 didn't have PSN. PSN is a monster ^_^

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I can't believe how Sony still sells a lot of PS4 for just a hundred dollars less than the initial price. I mean, PS2 in this moment of its life cycle was sell by 99 dollars, right? I can't wrap my head around this fact.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
How people know what is the most profitable console ever? Does Nintendo even releases that info for their consoles? Do we have a list of the top 5 most profitable?

Xeonidus

ā€œFuck them kids.ā€
Oct 28, 2017
Super impressive OP post and PlayStation 4 performance. Looks like they won't be missing a beat with the PlayStation 5!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Sony Game Division EBIT margin for the first two quarters:

FY20 Q1: 20.4%
FY20 Q2: 20.7%

Historically Sony Game Division EBIT margins for full fiscal years were always well below 20% (current the highest is FY98 with 17.4%)

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for asking if this is not the place but is Sony planning to release a slimmer version or at least drop the ps4 price?

Thanks in advance.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Most profitable console in history? See, Nintendo should have gone high end.
(Someone had to say it)

Not that MS is necessarily competing on dollars but it shows just how entrenched Sony are now.

Oct 27, 2017
Most profitable console in history? See, Nintendo should have gone high end.
(Someone had to say it)

Not that MS is necessarily competing on dollars but it shows just how entrenched Sony are now.
Frankly the only way MS can really grow is to do what they're doing now, expand the reach of Xbox to the PC and streaming onto other devices, they're not going to pry the lead away from Sony in the console space.

Nintendo as always will do their own thing

Don't want to go too off topic, Sony crushed it this gen and are set up to do it again, they're push to digital was really timely, locking people into their ecosystem with BC

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah the UGC was really cool. They added lot's of options so you could even create all new stories and basically create side quests. I would love if they bring it back in Ghost of Tsushima 2. It could make the game even more fun to explore.

Heck, it would be awesome in everything. Something like GTA would benefit a lot from it.

UGC in GoT could be really cool. People can create their own "wandering samurai" adventures. I know I would!

What surprised me the most about inFAMOUS 2's UGC was how intuitive and user friendly it was. It wasn't as versatile as LittleBigPlanet at the time, but it still allowed a lot of flexibility for missions. I created a 4 part series where Cole was tracking down a deranged serial killer across New Marais, and yeah, it was a lot of fun. Man, I really want an inFAMOUS 2 Remaster (a complete Remake would be amazing, but I'd be happy with a Remaster).

I feel like Bluepoint's wheelhouse is more 3rd person action/adventure titles, so if they moved on to remaking both inFAMOUS games (or at least the first, then move on to the second should the first do well), I'd be A-Ok with that. lol

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for asking if this is not the place but is Sony planning to release a slimmer version or at least drop the ps4 price?

Thanks in advance.
Slim version? There's already a PS4 slim, I don't think they can make it even smaller unless they make it digital-only. But the Ps4/Pro is most likely getting another price drop in a year or so.

Oct 27, 2017
UGC in GoT could be really cool. People can create their own "wandering samurai" adventures. I know I would!

What surprised me the most about inFAMOUS 2's UGC was how intuitive and user friendly it was. It wasn't as versatile as LittleBigPlanet at the time, but it still allowed a lot of flexibility for missions. I created a 4 part series where Cole was tracking down a deranged serial killer across New Marais, and yeah, it was a lot of fun. Man, I really want an inFAMOUS 2 Remaster (a complete Remake would be amazing, but I'd be happy with a Remaster).

I feel like Bluepoint's wheelhouse is more 3rd person action/adventure titles, so if they moved on to remaking both inFAMOUS games (or at least the first, then move on to the second should the first do well), I'd be A-Ok with that. lol
If nothing else then I would be happy with a sequel.

An idea I had is if they let you create your own character and choose different powers with lots of decisions and freedom. The series has tons of potential.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
OP with another excellent thread. Well done.

Playstation is doing so damn well. Well deserved too. They are moving into next gen with some crazy good momentum

benhan

Oct 30, 2017
Sony Game Division EBIT margin for the first two quarters:

FY20 Q1: 20.4%
FY20 Q2: 20.7%

Historically Sony Game Division EBIT margins for full fiscal years were always well below 20% (current the highest is FY98 with 17.4%)
Yes, and I think that made them convinced to set PS5 at $400 and $500 price with big subsidy on production cost, due to excellent performance of this first half of the year. They expected the drop of profit to less than 5% in the second half of the year after launching PS5.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If nothing else then I would be happy with a sequel.

An idea I had is if they let you create your own character and choose different powers with lots of decisions and freedom. The series has tons of potential.

I definitely think inFAMOUS should grow to being about more than just a specific protagonist. Go the Dragon Age/Mass Effect route, where you can create your conduit, and while the jist of the story is the same, your powerset can be your "build." If there's a series where RPG like mechanics and a more open narrative slot nicely into it, it's inFAMOUS. But Sucker Punch has their hands full with Ghost of Tsushima, so I don't expect we'll be revisiting inFAMOUS from them anytime soon. I'd be okay with another talented developer continuing the series, though. I seriously think that Bluepoint is a good fit, but have them work their remake magic on the original(s) first.

If Sucker Punch is ever able to expand to two studios, I'd love to see them alternate between Ghost/inFAMOUS/Sly Cooper. I feel like Sly Cooper is a great mid-budget series, that could slot in between Ghost and inFAMOUS titles.

The inFAMOUS series has a ton of potential, thanks to the conceit of it not necessarily being beholden to a specific protagonist. Cole was great. Delsin was great, but the world is full of conduits, so we can follow any number of characters. They kind of proved that with Fetch (who's great too) in First Light, which was also really good.

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think inFAMOUS should grow to being about more than just a specific protagonist. Go the Dragon Age/Mass Effect route, where you can create your conduit, and while the jist of the story is the same, your powerset can be your "build." If there's a series where RPG like mechanics and a more open narrative slot nicely into it, it's inFAMOUS. But Sucker Punch has their hands full with Ghost of Tsushima, so I don't expect we'll be revisiting inFAMOUS from them anytime soon. I'd be okay with another talented developer continuing the series, though. I seriously think that Bluepoint is a good fit, but have them work their remake magic on the original(s) first.

If Sucker Punch is ever able to expand to two studios, I'd love to see them alternate between Ghost/inFAMOUS/Sly Cooper. I feel like Sly Cooper is a great mid-budget series, that could slot in between Ghost and inFAMOUS titles.

The inFAMOUS series has a ton of potential, thanks to the conceit of it not necessarily being beholden to a specific protagonist. Cole was great. Delsin was great, but the world is full of conduits, so we can follow any number of characters. They kind of proved that with Fetch (who's great too) in First Light, which was also really good.
Yeah I agree.

I don't mind another developer making any of the games as they could pull it off depending on who they pick. Sly had another developer and it was mostly a good attempt. It had a lot of issues with the story and the way it treats Carmelita Fox so I would prefer if the writers oversee the story and other elements. Gameplay wise I had no complaints.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation is doing so damn well. Well deserved too. They are moving into next gen with some crazy good momentum
Yep. The market is reacting and they're loving it. Sony is doing fantastic :)
oracledispatch.com

Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) is Gaining Momentum on Earnings Catalyst ā€“ Oracle Dispatch

Sony Corporation (SNE) shares are trading at higher $77.47 and the avg recommendation for the stock is Strong Buy, while the current analyst price target stands at $100.48. To add more color to this target, the companyā€™s high over the last year is $84.14 and the low is $50.94. Over the last 52...
www.cnbc.com

Sony raises full-year profit outlook after record second quarter on strong gaming, 'Demon Slayer'

Japan's Sony Corp on Wednesday reported a 13.9% increase in second-quarter operating profit and raised its full-year earnings outlook, thanks to an upbeat gaming business.
www.digitalmusicnews.com

Sony Music Posts Impressive Quarterly Gains Despite COVID Pandemic

Sony Music turned in a solid financial performance - including noteworthy streaming gains - during the second quarter of its fiscal year.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The market is reacting and they're loving it. Sony is doing fantastic :)
oracledispatch.com

Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) is Gaining Momentum on Earnings Catalyst ā€“ Oracle Dispatch

Sony Corporation (SNE) shares are trading at higher $77.47 and the avg recommendation for the stock is Strong Buy, while the current analyst price target stands at $100.48. To add more color to this target, the companyā€™s high over the last year is $84.14 and the low is $50.94. Over the last 52...
www.cnbc.com

Sony raises full-year profit outlook after record second quarter on strong gaming, 'Demon Slayer'

Japan's Sony Corp on Wednesday reported a 13.9% increase in second-quarter operating profit and raised its full-year earnings outlook, thanks to an upbeat gaming business.
www.digitalmusicnews.com

Sony Music Posts Impressive Quarterly Gains Despite COVID Pandemic

Sony Music turned in a solid financial performance - including noteworthy streaming gains - during the second quarter of its fiscal year.

damn. very nice. See, this is the Travis Scott effect

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
ArmGunar great post.

PlayStation division is doing wonders for Sony, they should and hopefully will continue investing more into their current stable of great developers aswell as looking at bolstering where they're weakest.

Do we see the PS4 dropping in price anytime soon, or will they just let it die at this point so people switch over to the PS5?

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Man Sony is eating, wonder if we can see a gen where each of the big 3 consoles can sell a 100ms, maybe not Xbox because they kinda eat into each other (Sony an MS) , an MS is aiming for a different stategy, but that would be amazing to see.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Man Sony is eating, wonder if we can see a gen where each of the big 3 consoles can sell a 100ms, maybe not Xbox because they kinda eat into each other (Sony an MS) , an MS is aiming for a different stategy, but that would be amazing to see.

For MS it's different now, it's not about consoles sold but MAU because of GamePass/XBox live. For them they will include PC gamers, phone gamers who stream and who knows where else. If Sony sells 100m console, but MS only 50 + 10s of millions more on other hardware then who "wins"?
Times are a changin'

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I agree.

I don't mind another developer making any of the games as they could pull it off depending on who they pick. Sly had another developer and it was mostly a good attempt. It had a lot of issues with the story and the way it treats Carmelita Fox so I would prefer if the writers oversee the story and other elements. Gameplay wise I had no complaints.

Agreed. Thieves in Time was definitely enjoyable in the gameplay department (I still need to beat it, actually), but yeah, Carmelita is awesome, and I didn't like how Sanzuru handled her either. I'm still hoping for a new Sly Cooper, with a graphical style more in line with the cartoon cutscenes. I wasn't a huge fan of the tweaks the PS3 title did to the character models, but I've always loved the animated episode segments and title cards. I'd love a full game that looked like a 2D cartoon come to life. Not everything has to be super PIxar style rendered (I love it for Ratchet, and wouldn't mind that approach to a new Jak & Daxter, but I think Sly should lean into its more traditionally animated roots).

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
For MS it's different now, it's not about consoles sold but MAU because of GamePass/XBox live. For them they will include PC gamers, phone gamers who stream and who knows where else. If Sony sells 100m console, but MS only 50 + 10s of millions more on other hardware then who "wins"?
Times are a changin'

Yea thats true, interesting times ahead, whats great is i think each of their strategies can all work at the same time, an everyone thrives.

Handicapped Duck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Wow, I was not predicting it to sell 100 million and yet it has already destroyed that. Assuming Sony doesn't discontinue the PS4 until 2022, it is entirely within its power to sell upwards of 120-125 million.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Now imagine how good they would do with a 1st party JRPG and a PS5 patch for Bloodborne ( Ķ”Ā° ĶœŹ– Ķ”Ā°)

SOrry Jimbo spent all the JRPG budget to buy that audio setup for Travis Scott commercial

:p

But no seriously I hope they bring at least one big action RPG..I don't even care much about it but for the sake of all the fans asking for it I hope it happens. PS5 patch for Bloodborne has to be an obvious thing to do..surely

Nov 24, 2017
When gaming.... a low margin business makes up more revenue and income...well for the super big companies (Apple,MS,Alphbet,Amazon,Facebook) this would make the news and it would literally drag down the market. For the size that Sony is, these are good numbers, the gross margins need to be improved, but these are good numbers for a small-medium company....which it is in market cap, money in the bank, and in every metric anyone with a business background will tell you... and thats ok. When you see just how much it puts in the bank every quarter and you see how much Sony has in the bank, i hope you game fans see why M&A will never be on the level of any of the super big companies.

Jan 20, 2019
When gaming.... a low margin business makes up more revenue and income...well for the super big companies (Apple,MS,Alphbet,Amazon,Facebook) this would make the news and it would literally drag down the market. For the size that Sony is, these are good numbers, the gross margins need to be improved, but these are good numbers for a small-medium company....which it is in market cap, money in the bank, and in every metric anyone with a business background will tell you... and thats ok. When you see just how much it puts in the bank every quarter and you see how much Sony has in the bank, i hope you game fans see why M&A will never be on the level of any of the super big companies.

lol, what?

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are mistaking Sony with Sonos lol.