• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
This a call for help, somebody check jimbo

Nintendo Q2 FY08 is a beast, what was released at that time? I'm guessing peak Wii and DS?
Don't remember releases in Q2 but there were Mario Kart and Wii Fit in Q1 FY08, they probably boosted Q2 too given Nintendo games legs
Yeah FY08 was peak Wii and DS at the same time, just imagine having 2 products as powerful/profitable as PS4 on the market peaking at the same time, that's what Nintendo had between FY06 and FY10

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember releases in Q2 but there were Mario Kart and Wii Fit in Q1 FY08, they probably boosted Q2 too given Nintendo games legs
Yeah FY08 was peak Wii and DS at the same time, just imagine having 2 products as powerful/profitable as PS4 on the market peaking at the same time, that's what Nintendo had between FY06 and FY10
And Nintendo will most likely smash that this Q2 right? Damn... Sony and Nintendo are printing money right now

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Sony lowballing PS console sales isn't uncommon.

Yep, although I Googled (I'm sure someone can correct me here if wrong):

Sony's end of financial year is March. By March 2014 Sony forecast 5m PS4 sales. By Feb 8th they already broke that with 5.2m.

www.google.com

Sony has sold over 5.3 million PlayStation 4 consoles worldwide

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Sony is predicting 7m PS5 by March 2021. I predict they'll sell 8-9m dependent on meeting supply.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
While I did expect a bit more hardware, everything else is just super impressive.
Playstation brand is as strong as ever when entering PS5.

I'm not sure what this means for PS4 LTD - I was expecting it to hit somewhere between 125-130M before but I'm not so sure about that anymore...

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Ah, this thread is like when Neo is disconnected from Matrix (Era, twitter other forums and media outlets) and discovering reality

Hope they continue with similar level of success, has been an awesome generation, and i want more

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
While I did expect a bit more hardware, everything else is just super impressive.
Playstation brand is as strong as ever when entering PS5.

I'm not sure what this means for PS4 LTD - I was expecting it to hit somewhere between 125-130M before but I'm not so sure about that anymore...

It definitely needs a price cut. The Pro is the same price as the DE PS5.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So 300k more games sold and it ll surpass ps2 lt software sales? Around 1.5 B?
PS2 software is at 1.537 billion games sold
PS4 software is at > 1.477 billion games sold

So PS4 needs to sell about 60M games between Oct-Dec to surpass PS2 and it will happen
With big releases like FIFA and Cyberpunk originally planned for Q2 but pushed to Q3 + Miles Morales + this year Assassin's Creed/Watch Dogs (unlike 2019 Q3) + COD + some games like Squadrons or Crash 4, we could even expect 100M+ games during Q3

Minimum is 80M

And Nintendo will most likely smash that this Q2 right? Damn... Sony and Nintendo are printing money right now
Yeah most likely imo, even if they don't, they will take the 2nd place no matter what

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, this thread is like when Neo is disconnected from Matrix (Era, twitter other forums and media outlets) and discovering reality

Hope they continue with similar level of success, had been an awesome generation, and i want more
The difference from reality and reading message boards is always amazing

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed.

I want them to either do a backwards compatibility or start to remaster their games. There are so many hidden gems that they are not doing anything with. Resistance 3, Folklore, Puppeteer, Motorstorm Apocalypse etc etc I want all of them back!

I agree on Infamous as well. I really like the Cole games. They had this gritty but cartoony style that is really awesome. They deserve a re release.

Definitely! The PS3 in particular really came into its own as the years progressed, and it's a damn shame that due to it's insane architecture that we're cut off from some pretty fantastic games on the new hardware. I replayed inFAMOUS 1 and 2 this year the month before Ghost of Tsushima launched, and while it was awesome to be able to play them through PS Now, I'd have loved to have them running natively on my PS4. They really did have such a unique look and feel, and were so much fun. I forgot how awesome inFAMOUS 2 was from a gameplay (and story perspective). What really tripped me out revisiting it, was that the UGC stuff is still live! I actually found the series of missions I created that Sucker Punch contacted me about to feature on their UGC website way back in the day! Lol. It was such a nostalgia trip to play through my creation, and brought back some fond memories of that whole experience.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely! The PS3 in particular really came into its own as the years progressed, and it's a damn shame that due to it's insane architecture that we're cut off from some pretty fantastic games on the new hardware. I replayed inFAMOUS 1 and 2 this year the month before Ghost of Tsushima launched, and while it was awesome to be able to play them through PS Now, I'd have loved to have them running natively on my PS4. They really did have such a unique look and feel, and were so much fun. I forgot how awesome inFAMOUS 2 was from a gameplay (and story perspective). What really tripped me out revisiting it, was that the UGC stuff is still live! I actually found the series of missions I created that Sucker Punch contacted me about to feature on their UGC website way back in the day! Lol. It was such a nostalgia trip to play through my creation, and brought back some fond memories of that whole experience.
Wow the UGC still works? That awesome.

Makes me wonder why Gravity Rush 2's servers were shut down.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony was taking something like a $250 loss on every console. That blu-ray drive was very expensive back in 2006.
Yep.

In fact, this is the main reason it is considered a failure. I mean total sales did drop off compared to the previous entry but the PS2 is the best selling home console of all time so living up to that is going to be hard.

The fact that PS3 was outpacing the 360 from day 1 worldwide when launch aligned, at a higher price and a year later and went on to become the 5th best selling console of all time is still an achievement.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wow the UGC still works? That awesome.

Makes me wonder why Gravity Rush 2's servers were shut down.

Yeah, it still works! At least it still did in June of this year! I was so surprised. I fired it up, completely expecting it to give me some kind of server error, but nope, that shit is still running. lol

I think that's awesome, because I loved the UGC, and I admit, I was tempted to create a new set of missions, just for old times sake. XD

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it still works! At least it still did in June of this year! I was so surprised. I fired it up, completely expecting it to give me some kind of server error, but nope, that shit is still running. lol

I think that's awesome, because I loved the UGC, and I admit, I was tempted to create a new set of missions, just for old times sake. XD
Yeah the UGC was really cool. They added lot's of options so you could even create all new stories and basically create side quests. I would love if they bring it back in Ghost of Tsushima 2. It could make the game even more fun to explore.

Heck, it would be awesome in everything. Something like GTA would benefit a lot from it.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
PS4 Pro will be phased out and outside of holidays PS4 will probably stay at $299 before it dies out. Sony is not interested in low margin console business anymore. PS is premium brand for them now.
I agree with the Pro being phased out. The PS5 exists for those that want better performance, so the Pro has no place in the market.

Sony doesn't seem particularly aggressive with the PS4 currently so I think they're either going to move onto the PS5 ASAP or they're going to cut the current model and introduce a new budget model.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
yeah. it's pretty clear by now that Sony has completely different strategy with late gen PS4 than they did have with PS2 (PS4 still being $299 kinda shows that). They just want people to jump in with PS5 as soon as possible and then phase out PS4. They don't care about late gen low margin customers (like they did with PS1 and PS2). $299 will probably be the final official price point for PS4.

Told any one that PS4 would have one permanent price drop this gen and get to near 120 million console and they would call you crazy .
But yes it look like they no longer care about low margin sales like PS1\PS2 and has been that way for a good while.
They rather get what ever hardware profit they can get and phase out PS4 to PS5.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is that the current Nintendo fiscal year is going to challenge the Wii/DS yearly operating profits peak (FY ending March 2009).

EDIT:
Yep and great first party sales

Same reason why they get will enormous profits this q ie due to their first party
Not just sales but also the profit margins loaded within the DS and Wii businesses.
That record is impressive because it was obtained with negligible digital sales (for the full fiscal year digital sales were less than $10 million).
Digital sales are what is driving up the profits in recent years (and the software units count too...)

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Great work! As always.

So we just hit the time when the PS2 went into beast mode.

Then again, at that time it cost around $129 lol.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that the current Nintendo fiscal year is going to challenge the Wii/DS yearly operating profits peak (FY ending March 2009).

EDIT:

Not just sales but also the profit margins loaded within the DS and Wii businesses.
That record is impressive because it was obtained with negligible digital sales (for the full fiscal year digital sales were less than $8 million).

Yup I agree with you here, its quite impressive

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I feel the PS4 would need to reach $150/$199 to get over 125m.

And as it will never reach the $99 of the PS2, 130m is likely the ceiling indeed.

They could have gone for a close enough figure to the PS2, definitely, but that would have been done at the expense of profitability. With the PS4, Sony struck the perfect balance between market share and profit. It is undeniably their most successful console ever. And guess what? I do believe they can do just as good, if not better with the upcoming PS5...

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Unless major price drops and also something extraordinary happen; around 120m seems like it will be the PS4 final number

Yeah, but it didn't underperform? :P

It all depends on what Sony chooses to do with PS4 this Holiday and Holiday 2021 after PS5 releases, considering they have Miles Morales, Horizon 2, Sackboy and good quality independent and third party titles still releasing on PS4.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am gonna be honest. I thought for a while that the PS5 might not be able to replicate the PS4's success due to higher pricing and a competent competition that did not cripple themselves this time around (i.e.Xbox One PR disaster pre-release). But seeing these results and how much momentum the PS Brand has right now I could see it doing better than PS4. Add to that Jim Ryan's comments regarding the PS5's pre-order numbers and the future for Sony is very bright. Obviously a lot of things can happen in the future and a mega success is not a lock but it's looking good.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yep no doubt, they did it last fiscal year, they will do the same this FY

Where did they do that? Pretty weird. Maybe a few rounding errors?
Here : https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html
It is now updated but even now they just indicate 113.5m instead of 113.6m

Zhuge noticed this too a while back about that changement

Not related to hardware sales but a few days after that revision, they adjusted up PS+ numbers from 44.9M to 45.0M subs

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing thread as always ArmGunar , greatly appreciate the work you put into these.

These financial threads should be mandatory reading for anyone that still in 2020 post something stupid like "Sony is broke, can't afford to buy anything".

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Crazy numbers. Sony have come a long long way since the early days of the PS3!

Sep 7, 2020
This is awesome financial achievement and I hope they keep it up. Lets hope Microsoft and Nintendo also have amazing financial profits as well. Great time to be a gamer!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Sony Revenue : ¥2113.5bn / $19.90B (-0.4% YoY from ¥2122.3bn / $19.76B - Q2 FY2019)
Sony Operating Profit : ¥317.8bn / $2.99B (+13.9% YoY from ¥279bn / $2.60B - Q2 FY2019)
Sony Net Profit : ¥459.6bn / $4.33B (+144.6% YoY from ¥187.9bn / $1.75B - Q2 FY2019)
Forgive my ignorance about how these two are calculated but what causes net profit to be higher than operating profit?
I do not know what kind of expenses are deducted from revenue to obtain each of these.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
What a turnaround for the brand compared to where they were a generation ago. This puts them in a very good position going into the new gen.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-max-1mb.gif

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks guys <3

Forgive my ignorance about how these two are calculated but what causes net profit to be higher than operating profit?
I do not know what kind of expenses are deducted from revenue to obtain each of these.
Net profit is higher than operating profit because net profit was impacted by one-time gains/losses
In this case, one major one-time gain is :
Reversal of valuation allowances recorded against a significant portion of the deferred tax assets of Sony Corporation and its national tax filing group in Japan(+214.9 bln yen)

If we exclude these different one-time gain/loss, we have an adjusted net profit of ¥255.4bn ($2.40B) this quarter (instead of ¥459.6bn)
It would have been still the best Net Profit for Sony during Q2