• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Nice to see a company show us their actual profits, and not just the revenue then call it a day.

Thanks to Microsoft, SalesEra is just not the same anymore — I enjoyed following this kind of stuff last generation, when they all revealed their numbers, irrespective of how good or bad they did.

It hasn't hit 115m yet? It's gonna struggle to 120m then. PS5 being BC going to hinder more growth for it. If there was any hope left for the people that thought it could reach PS2 should all but be crushed.

The PlayStation 2 was available for $99 at one point, whereas the cheapest the PlayStation 4 has been is at $199 for just a few days (and completely sold out of their allocation too).

There are still many new markets out there that Sony have yet to price themselves at.

It may struggle to reach 120 million unit, but just how many companies can say that?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that we still don't have any kind of forecast for PS5 hw shipments. You would think that if Sony is able to ship more PS5s for the launch FY than they did with PS4 they would be boasting about it. Those lowish PS4 shipments indicate though that they are all in with PS5 manufacturing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i'll need to listen to it again as i missed it, but it seems that Sony has said in the webcast that they expect to ship at least 7.6M PS5s by March.
EDIT:
okay so it seems the meaning was they expect to exceed PS4's numbers but are not saying the specific target yet.

Last edited:

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
This man needs some respect. He puts in a lot of work compiling these info. Great work as always ArmGunar.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Christ on a bike! And to think it's reached what it has whilst going nowhere near a $199 price point! Even with the advent of PS5, if Sony could prep a slim model to sell at that $199 price point they would get another 2 years plus, which would steer them to the 130m figure BUT...It's clear all focus is now on PS5.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
ArmGunar one correction: as El Manco noticed in the Q1 thread, there's been a change in what Sony consider "Full Software"

This is how it was up to the end of the former FY

22 Physical Software sales is Sell-in base, Digital Software sales is download base.

And this is how it's currently defined since the the beginning of the current FY

8 Software unit sales have been re-classified from previously disclosed figures to include download-only titles, PS VR titles as well as software bundled with PS4 and PS VR (excluding certain regions).

Hope this can be helpful.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't hit 115m yet? It's gonna struggle to 120m then. PS5 being BC going to hinder more growth for it. If there was any hope left for the people that thought it could reach PS2 should all but be crushed.
Sony could drop the PS4 to $250 and it's still sell a lot even with the PS5 out. The ps4 starts at $400. That's still a lot and people will still need a budget option. This is why Sony hasn't abandoned the PS4.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Christ on a bike! And to think it's reached what it has whilst going nowhere near a $199 price point! Even with the advent of PS5, if Sony could prep a slim model to sell at that $199 price point they would get another 2 years plus, which would steer them to the 130m figure BUT...It's clear all focus is now on PS5.

yeah. it's pretty clear by now that Sony has completely different strategy with late gen PS4 than they did have with PS2 (PS4 still being $299 kinda shows that). They just want people to jump in with PS5 as soon as possible and then phase out PS4. They don't care about late gen low margin customers (like they did with PS1 and PS2). $299 will probably be the final official price point for PS4.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for your feedback guys <3

ArmGunar one correction: as El Manco noticed in the Q1 thread, there's been a change in what Sony consider "Full Software"
This is how it was up to the end of the former FY
And this is how it's currently defined since the the beginning of the current FY
Hope this can be helpful.
Yep he told me in the last thread :)

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Holy @ Playstation making close to $1 BILLION profit in just one quarter!

And $3 billion profit for the quarter for Sony as a whole is approaching the mega tech companies levels of profits.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why hardware shipment is so low? Is there a shortage of PS4 in different markets or people are not buying new consoles but buying lot of games?
Or has Sony diverted their production to building PS5?

Thank You for an excellent OP.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
If Sony want to reach 120m PS4 what they need is just pricedrop. Whether they want to do that or shift production to PS5 is the question really. Looking at their lower shipments I'm guessing it's the later.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Sony's PS5 strategy seems to be kind of similar to Nintendo's 2017 in that they pack the first year with as many hard hitting software as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
First and foremost, Totoki-san mentioned that there was no change in the price of PS5 which was eventually announced from when Sony revealed its previous forecast in August.

He added that during the full fiscal year (until March 2021) Sony aims to exceed the 7.6 million units shipped during the fiscal year in which the PS4 was launched.

The company also expects to have more games than any launch of its history thanks to exclusive first-party software and third-party partners.

We also hear that Sony is "very eager and committed" to surpass lifetime PS4 sales with PS5.

Totoki-san then mentioned that Ghost of Tsushima was identified as a driving factor between the strong performance of the PlayStation business in the past quarter.

Source

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
another great thread by armgunar

Gaming Revenue : ¥2600bn / $24.76B (up from ¥2500bn / $23.36B - Aug 2019 forecast)
Gaming Operating Profit : ¥300bn / $2.86B (up from ¥240bn / $2.24B - Aug 2019 forecast)

is crazy

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
PS Plus membership are up quite a bit no doubt that the PS Plus Collection is gonna help boost the subs especially for people wanting try all those titles on Day One on PS5

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats to Sony.

Now please fund a sequel to Gravity Rush and remake Folklore (also a remaster for Resistance 3) to celebrate.

I like you.

I'd legitimately lose my shit if Folklore got any kind of remaster. I don't need a remake. Just a beautiful 4k/60fps remaster, and I'd be happy. I actually have faith we'll see Gravity Rush 3 at some point in the future. Once Japan studio and Toyama's schedule frees up, and I can see them bank-rolling GR3. It always struck me as a series that doesn't demand some insane budget, and the art style is already so perfect, that I don't think it needs the level of bells and whistles that, say, a Naughty Dog PS5 will require. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are two of my favorite PlayStation games, and Kat is hands down my favorite new PlayStation character in recent years (I love you too, Aloy, but Kat is just so damn endearing and charming). I'd also love a Resistance Trilogy Remaster. I enjoyed all 3 games (although is definitely the best in the series).

Overall, I think the PS3 had some amazing IPs that didn't get the recognition they deserve, and the PS4 has had quite a few gems slip through the cracks. I'd love to see them return on the PS5, especially during its formative years, when new PS5 gamers will be hungry for titles.

While we're at it, Remaster inFAMOUS 1, 2, and Festival of Blood, Sony!

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Who would be first? Still Sony?
Top 5 Biggest Q2 Profits :
  1. Nintendo Q2 FY08 - ¥133.0bn
  2. Sony Q2 FY20 - ¥104.9bn
  3. Nintendo Q2 FY07 - ¥98.2bn
  4. Sony Q2 FY18 - ¥90.6bn
  5. Nintendo Q2 FY19 - ¥66.8bn
And Nintendo will likely top their Q2 FY08 profits this Q2 FY20, I will update OP once they will release their results :)

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
And Nintendo will likely top their Q2 FY08 profits this Q2 FY20, I will update OP once they will release their results :)
Thank you, this is very insightful.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WE ARE DOOMED

WE ARE DOOMED é um jogo que usa os dois analógicos no qual você atira nos inimigos com um superpoderoso raio laser Mergulhe de cabeça nesta aventura com desejo audacioso Carregue o SUPERBEAM e atire em tudo fora da existência em um único instante. Corra atrás de melhores pontuações ou aprecie a...
This a call for help, somebody check jimbo
Nintendo Q2 FY08 is a beast, what was released at that time? I'm guessing peak Wii and DS?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Well done Sony. Not much more to say

From the start of this gen they nailed the hardware and have been consistently nailing the games. The success has been earned.

Here's to the PS5!

Oct 27, 2017
I like you.

I'd legitimately lose my shit if Folklore got any kind of remaster. I don't need a remake. Just a beautiful 4k/60fps remaster, and I'd be happy. I actually have faith we'll see Gravity Rush 3 at some point in the future. Once Japan studio and Toyama's schedule frees up, and I can see them bank-rolling GR3. It always struck me as a series that doesn't demand some insane budget, and the art style is already so perfect, that I don't think it needs the level of bells and whistles that, say, a Naughty Dog PS5 will require. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are two of my favorite PlayStation games, and Kat is hands down my favorite new PlayStation character in recent years (I love you too, Aloy, but Kat is just so damn endearing and charming). I'd also love a Resistance Trilogy Remaster. I enjoyed all 3 games (although is definitely the best in the series).

Overall, I think the PS3 had some amazing IPs that didn't get the recognition they deserve, and the PS4 has had quite a few gems slip through the cracks. I'd love to see them return on the PS5, especially during its formative years, when new PS5 gamers will be hungry for titles.

While we're at it, Remaster inFAMOUS 1, 2, and Festival of Blood, Sony!
Agreed.

I want them to either do a backwards compatibility or start to remaster their games. There are so many hidden gems that they are not doing anything with. Resistance 3, Folklore, Puppeteer, Motorstorm Apocalypse etc etc I want all of them back!

I agree on Infamous as well. I really like the Cole games. They had this gritty but cartoony style that is really awesome. They deserve a re release.