• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
I still wonder if they could've pushed the PS3 up to 100m if they'd been more aggressive with pricedrops. But toward the end it just seems like they they were just looking to get onto the PS4 and didn't really care about the PS3's numbers much anymore.
They could have at less pushed to break 90M.. but yeah by the end they seems to not care much.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Yeah, this needs to be addressed and I support previous creator being barred from making Xbox sales threads in the future. Admin had to change the title due to the obvious misleading.

Ironically, the OP creator didn't even need to add that 'quote', because there wasn't much good news (for Xbox) to share during that quarterly report anyway, the silly sod.

Does the 58-60% of total Xbox sales also come from ZhugeEX? That's like 20m outside of the US and that seems like a lot. I always thought it would be more in the region of 70-75%, of course based on nothing but feeling.

When we used to get numbers early in the generation, we were able to find out the NPD sales, and gain a percentage breakdown of sorts — this allowed us to find a regional percentage split, and the Xbox One often hovered around the ⅔ in the US of A.

As the generation went on, the percentage split came down about between 1-2% every year so, 58-60% at present sounds about right. Unfortunately, we're never going to receive units based information anymore so, it is mostly guesswork combined with a little bit of knowledge on the subject these days.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Ahhh ok, Thank you for explaining. Does the 58-60% of total xbox sales also come from ZhugeEX? That's like 20m outside of the us and that seems like a lot. I always thought it would be more in the region of 70-75%, ofcourse based on nothing but feeling.

That number comes from comparing the 41M number ZhugeEX gave us with the total NPD numbers we had until that point. That gives us around 60%.

Wellfare has some other numbers that gave him aroud 58% iirc, and I've seen some other close to 62%, probably due to different interpretations of shipped/sold through, but I feel like 60% is a good approximation. Certainly is not as high as 70-75% ;)

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They laughed at me when I told them Knack was a system seller. They're not laughing now.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So they actually cut the PS4 hardware fiscal year forecast from 15.0 to 13.5. That seems like kind of big news, but isn't highlighted in the OP at all.

Using this maybe we can halfass back of envelope...6m so far this Fy and projecting 7.5 more. 102.8+7.5=110.3. Next FY I dont know, 8m? And then 5m more as it winds down? PS4 Ends at ~123m maybe, just pulled from my rear though.

Also maybe it's been covered but how does this make sense:

1572421698-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-08-47-48.png

So, over 8X more "digital software and add on" in Q2 2019 than physical? EIGHT TIMES? And even going back to Q2 17 when digital was much less prevalent, it was over 3.5:1? Seems odd. Is there some explanation? We cant even add in PSN fees since that is the purple bar.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So they actually cut the PS4 hardware fiscal year forecast from 15.0 to 13.5. That seems like kind of big news, but isn't highlighted in the OP at all.

Also maybe it's been covered but how does this make sense:

1572421698-capture-d-ecran-2019-10-30-a-08-47-48.png

So, over 8X more "digital software and add on" in Q2 2019 than physical? EIGHT TIMES? And even going back to Q2 17 when digital was much less prevalent, it was over 3.5:1? Seems odd. Is there some explanation? We cant even add in PSN fees since that is the purple bar.

The 13.5 forecast isn't big news when your biggest exclusive of the year slipped back to another fiscal year.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When we used to get numbers early in the generation, we were able to find out the NPD sales, and gain a percentage breakdown of sorts — this allowed us to find a regional percentage split, and the Xbox One often hovered around the ⅔ in the US of A.

As the generation went on, the percentage split came down about between 1-2% every year so, 58-60% at present sounds about right. Unfortunately, we're never going to receive units based information anymore so, it is mostly guesswork combined with a little bit of knowledge on the subject these days.
That number comes from comparing the 41M number ZhugeEX gave us with the total NPD numbers we had until that point. That gives us around 60%.

Wellfare has some other numbers that gave him aroud 58% iirc, and I've seen some other close to 62%, probably due to different interpretations of shipped/sold through, but I feel like 60% is a good approximation. Certainly is not as high as 70-75% ;)
The reason why I was thinking so high was people here and in the old place act like xbox is irrelevant outside of US. But when you say 40% comes from outside the US than its not irrelevant. its just skewed towards the US.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know if it's an explanation as much as a clarification, but that's not the digital:physical ratio, which is much lower. That includes all digital transactions except subs. And yes, it's super high - microtransactions, basically, are big business.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't know if it's an explanation as much as a clarification, but that's not the digital:physical ratio, which is much lower. That includes all digital transactions except subs. And yes, it's super high - microtransactions, basically, are big business.

Hmm, I suppose now that I think of it, would Sony/MS take 30% of every MTX on their platform? Probably so. Yeah I guess that gets big, since there is so much more 3rd party software than 1st party.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
So 41-42mi vs 102.8 mi that's wild. 2.5x install base . PS4 probably will end the year around 108 mi.

Can get to 120-125 mi at the end of it's lifetime.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Ironically, the OP creator didn't even need to add that 'quote', because there wasn't much good news (for Xbox) to share during that quarterly report anyway, the silly sod.

Man if they had 40 million end of 2018 and there sales are low this year so it is impossible this numbers.

Xbox one install base around 41-42 million it is impossible to be more than that .

Just look to their sales this year in US. 1.2 million so far...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I suppose now that I think of it, would Sony/MS take 30% of every MTX on their platform? Probably so. Yeah I guess that gets big, since there is so much more 3rd party software than 1st party.

This is gross revenue, so before they pay their costs (i.e. 70% or whatnot).

If you looked at a breakdown of operating income from different sources, maybe that would look a little different in terms of the ratios of different segments.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

There is a part of OP which is dedicated to FY2019 forecast.

And for Digital vs Physical difference, Digital revenue include Add-on (MTX/DLC) so every spending of F2P and for a game purchase, Sony book $60 (and then pay the publisher, its 70% cut) while Sony book "only" about $8 per physical game (third party games)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The reason why I was thinking so high was people here and in the old place act like xbox is irrelevant outside of US. But when you say 40% comes from outside the US than its not irrelevant. its just skewed towards the US.

Well it's 40% of total Xbox sales, not 40% of total console sales...

Rest of the World sales, by January 2019, were estimated at around 63.2M for the PS4 vs 16.5M for the Xbox One.

Thats 80% vs 20%, 5:1, which is pretty brutal.

Edit: US numbers I have by January 2019 are 28.5M for the PS4 vs 24.5M for the Xbox One.
Split between US vs RotW was 60/40 for Xbox, 30/70 for the PS4

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
No, it may very likely not reach 130m.

Fact is, if PS5 is a hit, then a lot of people will sell or trade-in their old PS4s because PS5 is already confirmed to be backward compatible with PS4, and obviously, second-hand sales will not contribute to the number of PS4s being sold.
In addition, people need to realise that the days of last-gen systems selling a substantial amount after a successor has hit the market are long gone. Look at 3DS and how with the advent of Switch, 3DS sales declined sharply to the point Nintendo publicly expressed a great degree of disappointment in its sales, which in turn pushed them to focus solely on Switch. Likewise, both PS3 and Xbox 360 sold just a couple of mil

It would also be in Sony's best interest to abandon the PS4 the minute PS5 hardware becomes profitable.

So maybe not until H1 2022 at the soonest.

I doubt PS5 will become profitable in 2021.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I'm sorry but if MS didn't give a final LTD number is probably because they were below the PS3.
Aaron Greenberg would be the first to tweet about how MS sold more consoles than Sony. That is a fact. There was a time when he managed to say that Xbox one sold more consoles in US than any other console from the same gen (switch sold more that month).

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The reason why I was thinking so high was people here and in the old place act like Xbox is irrelevant outside of US. But when you say 40% comes from outside the US, then it's not irrelevant. It is just skewed towards the US.

If you add the UK into this equation, which is their second biggest market for Xbox by a significant margin, then you're looking at roughly 70-75% shared between both the US and UK alone.

A quarter (or so) of the market remains, which makes up in places like South America, Australasia and Europe. It just shows that the Xbox really struggles outside of Anglosphere countries.

And considering it had one less year on the market, that's even more impressive.

And the PlayStation 3 was $200 dearer for the first year or so too.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
They have Christmas/Black Friday plus Death Stranding on the way, going to have a big quarter. Still, as with Xbox, I think the Switch is kind of eating their lunch, and is going to be a thorn in the side of the upcoming console launches.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man if they had 40 million end of 2018 and there sales are low this year so it is impossible this numbers.

Xbox one install base around 41-42 million it is impossible to be more than that .

tenor.gif

I had no idea their consoles sales were that slow in their strongest market.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It's not like the total number is that huge in the first place? It is very much irrelevant in many countries, that talk is not hyperbolic for many regions what are you talking about? Totals sales are barely 50 mil

US and U.K. are popping that's kinda it...

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
They have Christmas/Black Friday plus Death Stranding on the way, going to have a big quarter. Still, as with Xbox, I think the Switch is kind of eating their lunch, and is going to be a thorn in the side of the upcoming console launches.
Not true at all....Switch is not really hurting ps4 sales. Switch won't be getting most Multiplats next gen.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
  1. PS2 : > 155 million
  2. PS4 : 102.8 million
  3. PS1 : 102.49 million
  4. Wii : 101.63 million
  5. PS3 : 87.4 million

With the hard as hell of messy start the PS3 had, yet it managed to hold a spot in top 5 best selling consoles of all time... very impressive.

And Congratulations to Sony on PS4, truly magnificent console.

And, people forget that it launched a FULL YEAR after XB360 and still surpassed the XB360 for worldwide sales in a year's less time when you consider that factor -- even after the bungled launch and too high price. Sony just had incredible sales worldwide with the PS3 and built up unbelievable momentum due to their stellar 1st party lineup and a fantastic fan base (with the exception of the U.S.). Honestly, the US is the only thing that continues to keep MS in the game.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, how can one company keep getting so fucking lucky. If it weren't for everyone else, Sony wouldn't have 4 of the top 5 consoles ever. The world will see one day when their luck runs out. /S

Lol. I can't believe people actually still use that as an argument. Good on Sony and the PS4. The slowdown should be expected and come to no surprise but damn, it still being the second best quarter ever is insane. Let's see what happens next

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Now I understand all those global sales we currently have in Europe. €70 off on all consoles everywhere, not only online which is very rare here outside nov / dec. With Switch at 199€ they really couldn't continue asking 349€ for a PS4 with a game in 2019 here, or 299€ with the peasant 500MB HDD.
The problem isn't the Switch. It's the games (the lack of) and the high price of the hardware.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Damn, how can one company keep getting so fucking lucky. If it weren't for everyone else, Sony wouldn't have 4 of the top 5 consoles ever. The world will see one day when their luck runs out. /S

Lol. I can't believe people actually still use that as an argument. Good on Sony and the PS4. The slowdown should be expected and come to no surprise but damn, it still being the second best quarter ever is insane. Let's see what happens next
lol yep, I mean the reason the Xbox one looked bad, was because the PS4 did everything right in comparison...People are just warring when they say that. Sony knows how to do console launches..except Ps3 lol.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's so lucky I'm going to buy 2 PS5s from them at launch.

Am I doing it right?

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Link? Lol. Come on man.

Xbox didn't update it's numbers after 84m for starters (which inarguably they reached before PS3, as Sony's announcement of 84m was months later). It's all guessing. Most people point to an IDC report but hmm, in a recent thread where IDC had the Xbox One at 48m worldwide, they were deemed not credible. So, they are not credible.

Actually I recall MS did provide more 360 numbers years later for one solitary quarter, and it just bolstered the case, while not being proof. But I'm not going to look it up, and last time I tried I couldn't find it...
I cannot believe people are still trying to push this. Let's use logic, the PS3 outsold the 360 every year launch aligned except the year Kinect launch i believe, the last numbers we have had them neck and neck...so logic dictates PS3 sold more..Unless out of the blue, late into a gen Worldwide all of a sudden 360 started outselling PS3...the chances of 360 keeping pace, and even outselling ps3 late in the gen are slim to none Worldwide.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Guys let's not crap up ArmGunar amazing thread with the last gen who "won" stuff. Logic says PS3 slightly outsold 360 but it has to be super close and most importantly it was an embarrassment for Sony in the early years losing $billions and over half their market share in US. It's a nice comeback story, it's a reminder of what not to do for Sony though lol.

What's interesting to me is if next-gen slows down sales wise not because of mobile or streaming, simply because folks are getting real comfortable with playing 1-3 evergreen games all year like Fortnite, Minecraft, and Smash. I'm thinking this may become Sony's biggest challenge next gen, having an always there piece of software that hardly ever leaves the top 20 in most markets.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn I knew PS2 was a beast in sales but I didn't know PS1 and PS3 were also as high as they are

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
tenor.gif

I had no idea their consoles sales were that slow in their strongest market.

The PS4 has sold nearly as many units in Japan alone as the Xbox has sold in their strongest market. Now, if you listen to some folks here the PS4 is dead/dying in Japan. So what then does that say about the Xbox with similar numbers in their strongest market?

I can't believe people are still trying to change the narrative on 360 vs PS3. In 2019.

Quite sad to read, grasping for straws.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly impressive what Sony's been able to do since coming into the industry. What other company can say their worst "failure" still sold north of 85m and is one of the top five best selling consoles of all time?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

While I believe it's pretty clear MS will want to drop the XBO as soon as possible for Scarlett to change their narrative, I wonder how long Sony plans on supporting the PS4. If they continue to expand their PSNow offering it could be a great way to continue serving the price-sensitive market and build brand loyalty should those individuals someday decide to upgrade.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Not how it works but okay.

Microsoft doesn't report hardware period anymore and hasn't since mid 2015, and even then they did a year of combined 360+One shipments.

This is literally something that was discussed years ago when trying to figure out how much the XB1 shipped. PS3 is lower than what was expected, not the other way around just because Sony decided to randomly announce an updated PS3 figure.

You can not wiggle Xbox One shipments high enough for the 360 to be under 87M by the end of 2015. It's impossible.
glad someone is maintaining this (correct) argument

I can't believe people are still trying to change the narrative on 360 vs PS3. In 2019.

I cannot believe people are still trying to push this. Let's use logic, the PS3 outsold the 360 every year launch aligned except the year Kinect launch i believe, the last numbers we have had them neck and neck...so logic dictates PS3 sold more..Unless out of the blue, late into a gen Worldwide all of a sudden 360 started outselling PS3...the chances of 360 keeping pace, and even outselling ps3 late in the gen are slim to none Worldwide.
Quoting ZhugeEX:
"given the public data available it does look like Xbox 360 would have passed PS3's 87.4m figure sometime in the second half of 2015. Either that or Xbox One sold way more than we think, which wouldn't make sense."

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
the crazy part about Ps4 sales, is that it did this with no "DRE" rebuys as well. I can honestly say at least 10-15 million of the ps2 sales were because of rebuys from DRE!!!

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Why should I believe this ZhugeX guy? he is just using public data....I don't see how this is possible, again..ps3 was outselling 360 every year World wide, so how would that even be possible? If he has data that says otherwise he can share it or it's moot.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ps3 outsold 360 every single year launch aligned, last numbers we have they were neck and neck, or Ps3 slightly ahead..it is common sense and logic that unless sony stopped selling ps3's especially in developing countries they sold more consoles that gen...unless out of nowhere 360 started outselling ps3 Worldwide 7-8 years into the gen...
Do you have the annual numbers? IIRC 360 got a huge and uncommon bump in yearly sales due to Kinect.
edit: Oh, someone already replied accordingly.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why should I believe this ZhugeX guy? he is just using public data....I don't see how this is possible, again..ps3 was outselling 360 every year World wide, so how would that even be possible? If he has data that says otherwise he can share it or it's moot.
Sure, let's not trust a guy who does this data for a living.
edit: Oh, I see you still go by ps3 outselling 360 every year. But this is useless now as it doesn't belong to the thread at hand.