• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
You didn't even mention the biggest upcoming release of them all...

3max.jpg
Yes!!! Thats going to be the last Ps4 game that im going to play, not interested in the rest but MediEvil i need to play it. Oh and my ps5 purchase is guaranteed, cant wait for God of War Ps5, its gonna be out of this world.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Continued pattern of system wars and numerous accumulated infractions
PS4 100m ship is not as impressive as other's 100m consider the number is highly inflated by double dippers with PS4 Pro.
The number of unique owner probably much lower than PS1, PS2.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Wii Mini revision for 99$ in 2012. Much much cheaper than both PS3 and X360 Slim models. And nobody cared.

Yeah, that's my point. No one cared about the one major Wii that was significantly different. Both the Wii and the PS1 didn't really have any significant revisions for people to rush out and buy. With revisions like slim models, "New!" models, lite models, mid-gen refreshes, etc . . . You can sell your product again to people that already bought one. Neither Wii or PS1 really made use of that.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
PS4 100m ship is not as impressive as other's 100m consider the number is highly inflated by double dippers with PS4 Pro.
You think people werent double dipping for slim revisions in previous generations?

Hell I owned 2 360's and 2 PS3's over the generation (Due to RROD and YLOD).

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
And to think there were people here who acted like Sony's numbers were going to be way down just like Microsoft's were lol. Perfect example of the Era bubble. This is what happens when your console isn't just mainly bought in the US.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it should end its run with roughly 130-135M barring any major surprise.

Roughly 115M by the same point next year. 8M in the following fiscal year if PS5 is indeed launching in fall 2020, then a slower but steady pace for a few more years.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Hard to compare though. The PS1 and PS2 both had multiple slim versions as well.
Also the PS4 Pro only accounts for a relatively small part of total PS4 sales.

Edit: also different price points, the PS1/PS2 were eventually sold at a much lower price point.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What do people think it would take for the narrative from some people of Sony only succeeding because of luck instead of actual decisions made?

I mean they have 4 out of 5 of the best selling home consoles and total games sales too.

Are we forever destined to have to listen to these ignorant arguments or is there some mythical thing they could do?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Holy Shit i looked up wapplew post history.
That dude is like the biggest Xbox Fanboy i've seen on this side. His contributions are mind blowing at times lol. Dude is like Xbox own personal Knight at this point

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy Shit i looked up wapplew post history.
That dude is like the biggest Xbox Fanboy i've seen on this side. His contributions are mind blowing at times lol. Dude is like Xbox own personal Knight at this point
Funny part is if I m not mistaken he only owns PS4 and not x1 XD.
I think he does it on purpose to get reactions

Anyways , forcast reduction means no price cut.
Which means ps5 is 499.

In 2020:
Ps5:499
Pro:349
PS4:249

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, that's why this page is wonky for me. Put wapplew on ignore ages ago. He's painfully unfunny or just a sad fanboy.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Crazy to think we are now over 50 percent of games sales being digital. Sony platform pushing that all digital future as much as everyone else. It's to be expected.

The most important question. What's Sony's mau? Lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish Sony would update us on sale of their first party/second party games

What's god of war at?
Days gone ?
HZD?
Etc...

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
If they have a solid launch, dont fuck up the price and or any media conferences ala xbox the PS5 will topple the PS2 record
InfiniteNegativeHeifer-size_restricted.gif

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

What's god of war at?
Days gone ?
HZD?
Etc...

Not to be negative but for a 100 million sell through console I would put money that this is where the platform isn't doing as Rosie as to be expected. I would imagine the majority of PS4 purchases are for fortnite, fifa madden etc. Which is to be expected.

I remember when we would get reports of gears of war selling 6 million copies in a week on 360. I feel like this isn't happening this Gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly clear signal in the earnings q+a there, not to expect big price movement on PS4.

Paraphrasing:

'Sales are flat YoY this quarter. Revision down to 15m consoles for the year. Looking at competitors we might expect some downward trend. We have also provided some information about the next generation console. We are not forcing the expansion of the current console. We aim to achieve profit and a smooth shift [to next gen], and to maintain profitability.'

Of course they might maintain profitability while cutting cost, with a new revision. But...certainly it sounds like the focus is on maintaining margins rather than aggressively expanding volumes.
I figured this was the case for a little while now. They wanted to keep PS4 price stable in order to keep revenue/profit going into next gen. A next gen launch is crazy expensive, so they want to bring in as much money as possible to support that.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not to be negative but for a 100 million sell through console I would put money that this is where the platform isn't doing as Rosie as to be expected. I would imagine the majority of PS4 purchases are for fortnite, fifa madden etc. Which is to be expected.
Lmao imagine thinking Sony isn't doing well with exclusives.

I remember when we would get reports of gears of war selling 6 million copies in a week on 360. I feel like this isn't happening this Gen.
This never happened.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

But all these games (expect days gone )are already above 10 million.so their numbers are already impressive ,so I don't know why they wouldn't say it and not do that randomly update from their devs .

Btw speaking of gears, it pains me to see what MS has done with gears marketing.my favorite game from 360 which had so much hype and marketing is now has hit on YouTube below 500k .which used to be 7 million + in 360.era

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Sony will no doubt have big plans for the PS5 given the strength and importance of the Playstation brand.

I couldn't be more excited!

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
But all these games (expect days gone )are already above 10 million.so their numbers are already impressive ,so I don't know why they wouldn't say it and not do that randomly update from their devs .

Btw speaking of gears, it pains me to see what MS has done with gears marketing.my favorite game from 360 which had so much hype and marketing is now has hit on YouTube below 500k .which used to be 7 million + in 360.era

Sony's first party success is the most underrated story this gen. Last gen, they started with a very slim output that grew as the gen went by, but this time it's a smash success after a smash success. I mean, Days Gone, a genetic zombie game made by a small studio (by today's standards) has been seling millions, a feat rarely achieved by Sony only 6-7 years ago. Their progress has been astonishing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

What's god of war at?
Days gone ?
HZD?
Etc...
They'll update when GoW 2, HZD2 is coming probably, Sony have always been a bit random with that stuff. Milestones don't matter as Uncharted 4 and TLoU showed, both past 10m and 15m without a peep.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is doing extremely well with exclusives.

I must have got mixed up with gears. I'm sure gears 2 sold like 4 million in its first few weeks or something like that.

Or it must have been halo 3. Apologies.
They usually give week/month 1 updates. Spidey and GoW for example both did over 3m in 3 days I think.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony's first party success is the most underrated story this gen. Last gen, they started with a very slim output that grew as the gen went by, but this time it's a smash success after a smash success. I mean, Days Gone, a genetic zombie game made by a small studio (by today's standards) has been seling millions, a feat rarely achieved by Sony only 6-7 years ago. Their progress has been astonishing.
True . I think days gone has sold better than uncharted 1 even (launch aligned ) which is a feat in itself for sony.their tiny studio that hasn't done AAA games in 18 years ,does their first try and sells amazing.(better than naughty dog in ps3 era)

If Sony wouldn't have fucked up and send review copies before bugs were patched the score would be in low 80s.(reviewers reviewed the game before the patch was live )

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's my point. No one cared about the one major Wii that was significantly different. Both the Wii and the PS1 didn't really have any significant revisions for people to rush out and buy.
Wii mini might have bombed - but PS One was a pretty big deal.
For reference - the revision alone sold 30M between 2000 and 2004. Ie. it easily beat LTD of GCN and XBox, by itself.
I'd argue PSOne probably started the whole trend by showing how successful redesigns can be.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

According to Shinji Mikami the PS1 and PS2 sold so well because they were made out of bad quality so people had to keep buying new ones.