• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
How much did the Wii sell?
This is kind of a side tangent, but I think the Wii sales are more impressive than people give it credit for. It sold what it did with essentially no significant revision that would prompt people to buy another. The PS2 had updated version, the DS did, Xbox consoles did, the PS3 and PS4 both did (PS and Xbox One have the Pro and the X).

For that reason I think it's tough to compare it to other consoles. PS1 as well (though I'm not super familiar with the different PS1 models). I think even though they've been surpassed the Wii and PS1 exist in a class of their own.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It won't be PlayStation 2 numbers but it will be pretty damn close. The PS4's performance this generation has been impressive.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It even more amazing when you remember that its MSRP is STILL $299.99

Imagine what happens when Sony finally lowers it to $199.99...
Yeah that's insane. Can't believe they've only lowered the price $100 and it still sell like crazy. It's a weird generation in that way, it's been very few price cuts on all platforms.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
New-Picture-1.png

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The 100m club has a new member. There expecting 15m this year as well?? Thats big estimate for its final year before ps5.
That's 15M shipped before April 1st 2020. Before then we will get Death Stranding and FF7R. TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsunami are still not yet dated, and there is a slim chance TLOU2 cloud be out before April.

Nov 21, 2017
PS4 still has huge titles like Death Stranding, The Last Of Us Part II, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, Marvel's Avengers, Ghost of Tsushima that will move some units. A few of these games will likely launch with special edition themed PS4s too.

PS4 walking into the 100 million console club like

Someone please remake the GIF with either Kaz or Jim's face on the coach.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

That graph is really interesting. Nice work PS4.

Wow! That's seriously impressive! Beating both the PS2 and Wii to the punch (though the latter had a bit of a short life per say) is mighty impressive by all regards.

-------------

Also holy shit at 1B in software! :O How many other consoles/handhelds managed those numbers?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That magic number. Congrats to Sony. It's gonna take a LOT longer for console sales to take a backseat to services than some commentators believe.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't expect the PS4 to reach 100 millions this quarter, impressive. And as always great op ArmGunar

Also holy shit at 1B in software! :O How many other consoles/handhelds managed those numbers?
Top 5 officially :
  1. PS2 : 1.537B games (as of end of March 2012)
  2. PS4 : > 1B games (as of June 2019)
  3. PS3 : 999.4m games (as of March 2019)
  4. PS1 : 962m games (as of March 2012)
  5. DS : 948.66m games
But we all know that DS should be much higher and X360 may surely be in the top 5

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Top 5 officially :
But we all know that DS could be much higher and X360 may surely be in the top 5
Wow, that's a pretty exclusive club!

And yeah, I would have assumed the DS woul be part of it. Thing was basically a portable PS2 in terms of popularity and quality games. Seems a bit low indeed.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Fairly clear signal in the earnings q+a there, not to expect big price movement on PS4.

Paraphrasing:

'Sales are flat YoY this quarter. Revision down to 15m consoles for the year. Looking at competitors we might expect some downward trend. We have also provided some information about the next generation console. We are not forcing the expansion of the current console. We aim to achieve profit and a smooth shift [to next gen], and to maintain profitability.'

Of course they might maintain profitability while cutting cost, with a new revision. But...certainly it sounds like the focus is on maintaining margins rather than aggressively expanding volumes.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Sony absolutely dominated this generation from start to finish, just ran away with it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Congrats Playstation....100 million....that seems like cause for a celebration.....how about that TLoU 2 release date...........
With those big first party games still to come it looks like it's gonna be a smooth run in to next gen for Playstation.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty surprised the pictures part of Sony made no real profit.

I was looking at the chart trying to find it.

The 100 million is impressive :)

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Top 5 officially :
But we all know that DS should be much higher and X360 may surely be in the top 5
Thats pretty damn crazy.

Sony must be the luckiest console maker in the world to have 4 out of 5 of the best selling home consoles of all time AND 4 out of 5 consoles to sell over 1B games. /s

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting - in the Q+A, Sony noted in particular an unexpected weakness this quarter in F2P revenues. I wonder if that's a general trend in the industry.

Paraphrasing:

As far as q1 is concerned, first party full games, results were basically as expected. Have not changed assumptions going forward

But for add-on and F2P there was a significant gap vs expectations, especially F2P titles, revenue was significantly lower. Therefore lower forecast.

PS+ , the number of subcribers is down a bit, but was expected. For full year we expect this segment to grow moderately.

Jan 17, 2019
This is kind of a side tangent, but I think the Wii sales are more impressive than people give it credit for. It sold what it did with essentially no significant revision that would prompt people to buy another. The PS2 had updated version, the DS did, Xbox consoles did, the PS3 and PS4 both did (PS and Xbox One have the Pro and the X).

For that reason I think it's tough to compare it to other consoles. PS1 as well (though I'm not super familiar with the different PS1 models). I think even though they've been surpassed the Wii and PS1 exist in a class of their own.

Wii Mini revision for 99$ in 2012. Much much cheaper than both PS3 and X360 Slim models. And nobody cared.

OP
OP
ArmGunar

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty surprised the pictures part of Sony made no real profit.
Usually they lost money during Q1 so that's an improvement
Real profit will come this Q2 thanks to Spider-Man Far From Home and maybe Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and will continue thanks to Jumanji during Q3

Interesting - in the Q+A, Sony noted in particular an unexpected weakness this quarter in F2P revenues. I wonder if that's a general trend in the industry.
Paraphrasing:
Thanks for that, after record revenues in 2018 for Fortnite, it was expected to see less revenues now

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Fairly clear signal in the earnings q+a there, not to expect big price movement on PS4.

Paraphrasing:

'Sales are flat YoY this quarter. Revision down to 15m consoles for the year. Looking at competitors we might expect some downward trend. We have also provided some information about the next generation console. We are not forcing the expansion of the current console. We aim to achieve profit and a smooth shift [to next gen], and to maintain profitability.'

Of course they might maintain profitability while cutting cost, with a new revision. But...certainly it sounds like the focus is on maintaining margins rather than aggressively expanding volumes.

If a PS4 Super Slim is released in 2019 I expect a price of 249 dollars/euros. the MSRP will only reach 199 dollars at PS5 release or after it depending of the PS5 price, if they release PS5 at more than 399 dollars maybe they will stay at 249 dollars until 2021...

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If SONY sticks to their 10 year support cycle I can see PS4 doing $140m-$150m by the time it leaves the market in 3-4 years. Unless of course they continue to support beyond 10 years then idk where this thing could be headed towards to.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's become dramatically better, and all it takes is a compelling package in order to upend the whole industry. We'll see if Google and Microsoft will offer that, but I am certain streaming will become the new standard sooner or later. There are too many advantages, and the drawbacks, no game ownerships, are non-issues to most people. That's been eroded for years of digital releases anyway.
The drawback will be availability and people's Internet. People thinking Game Streaming is going to be the standard soon (within the next gen) are going to be in for a surprise. It won't even support most regions for years yet.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
People expecting significant price cut on the PS4 at the end of its life are going to be disappointed. This era is long gone, Apple doesn't lower the price of their old models when the new ones come out.