• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Patent: https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2020/0242723.html

The official Sony patent notes that, 'plural SoCs may be used to provide a "high-end" version of the console with greater processing and storage capability', while 'the "high end" system can also contain more memory such as random-access memory (RAM) and other features and may also be used for a cloud-optimized version using the same game console chip with more performance.'

I never bought a PS4 and waited for the Pro. I'd consider the same for PS5 but GoW2 may be too tempting.

EDIT: I removed the article as it blew up on Twitter yesterday due its biased headline apparently.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This was previously posted.

The patent mentions a possible cloud based console, so this could just as easily be a cloud service that can throw extra GPU power at a game.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Does it necessarily mean a new console though? Perhaps you can hook up multiple PS5s? Or use a local PS5 and a cloud based one to help render?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
A patent doesn't mean anything. Companies patent all the time and most never see the light of day.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I got a push from Google on a "T3" (tech website) article about this the other day. I ignored it cos it was on T3.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I long suspected the PS5 Pro would utilize chiplets for a 72 CU config, just like the PS4 Pro doubled the PS4 CU count. Hope to see this in 2023!

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
9ef139cd-5918-4950-9416-8bb6e602a1f6.jpeg

Another classic Sony patent.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Where CPU and HDDs were the primary complaint from developers last gen, I imagine for this one it'll be RAM. 16GB isn't a massive leap over 8GB, especially when you consider the OS reserves eating at that too. One X at 12GB and Series X at 16GB makes this most apparent. Of course speeds on this RAM are better over last-gen, but still I wager that'll be developers first request in hardware improvements.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where CPU and HDDs were the primary complaint from developers last gen, I imagine for this one it'll be RAM. 16GB isn't a massive leap over 8GB, especially when you consider the OS reserves eating at that too. One X at 12GB and Series X at 16GB makes this most apparent. Of course speeds on this RAM are better over last-gen, but still I wager that'll be developers first request in hardware improvements.
Cerny said ram amount is not as important because the SSD can be used as ram too

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It's old, patent is from January 2019

May happen, may not... but It'd still be a few years off if they follow through.

Pretty sure we had a thread about it in July.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If this is going to eventually lead to a PS5 Pro I'm rekindling the dream of RERAM in that console, either as a cache for the SSD or to replace the SSD. 10x faster speeds than the PS5 SSD would be juicy. 😁

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I'm honestly already looking forward to a ps5 pro. Give me the best visuals possible at 60fps, your price will be mine Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
Patent for something 3 years away already?
Yes. Products are worked on several years in advance for a variety of reasons. Early PS5 ideas were probably explored after PS4 shipped in tandem with plans they had for PS4 Pro. That kind of tech work needs a "skate to where the puck is going to be" mindset so you are always planning for what the next thing could be. And then solidify those ideas over time.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Two GPU design or anything remotely similar has never been efficient when just linking the two. Crossfire/SLI says hi. Terrible way to introduce a pro if true.

Mar 8, 2018
Companies will patent anything of a certain minimal significance, even if they have no plans to pursue an actual product, because patent rights are inherently valuable for tons of other reasons.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this PS5 is now useless. Who wants to play this old shit? I'm waiting for the PS5 Pro before I play any more games.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Two things to note:
1. They filed an appeal to the final rejection so they're pretty serious about this.
2. The inventor has a bunch of other stuff related to cloud stuff so this is probably cloud focused as well.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Two GPU design or anything remotely similar has never been efficient when just linking the two. Crossfire/SLI says hi. Terrible way to introduce a pro if true.
It's inefficient when done like SLI/CF where the driver tries to be smart and operates on a wrong level. This wouldn't be the case with dual GPU consoles since developers would get low-level access. And it would be feasible to invest in supporting dual GPUs properly unlike in the current PC world.