• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't see a world anymore with exclusive Sony games to a handheld. Switch is the way, since it's console and portable in one. But sony's Market is the console side of things. No sense in dividing your content

Plus, I already use remote play and have basically a portable ps5 with me everywhere

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
looks like one of those stick your phone inside a controller and just play it in remote play.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Looks ergonomically worse than a Switch. And I can't use that without a grip, and even then the analog x face buttons alignment are still an issue.

Sony portables' curved sides are perfection.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
It will always be Sony's own fault about the Vita. They let their own console die.

OP
OP
Garrison

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Looks ergonomically worse than a Switch. And I can't use that without a grip, and even then the analog x face buttons alignment are still an issue.

Sony portables' curved sides are perfection.
I don't know well for the switch but Holy crap is the switch lite ergonomically bad. One of the worst consoles in that respect for me, I couldn't play without a one of those grips.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
That's just a Switch lite with a camera, inverted minijack/usb-c placement, and unrealistic internal components.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think people will be able to go back to non-detachable controllers on their portables.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus those specs. An SD 888, 1440p screen, and 3 Zeiss cameras? Are they expecting an $800 price tag?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Looked okay until it pulled out and showed the weird slight heart shape.

Kinda ugly, looks very uncomfortable to hold.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It will always be Sony's own fault about the Vita. They let their own console die.

The problem was in making a dedicated handheld that required separate development resources in 2012. The Vita was doomed from the jump. Given resources are never infinite, Sony moved them to where they needed to be, on the PS4. It would have been a colossal blunder to waste even more resources on the Vita.

Nintendo couldn't support two dedicated platforms either, but due to their strength in that market they were able to hold out a few years longer. Moving to one hybrid platform solved the problem for them.

The era of the dedicated handheld platform is over. It's dead.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's sad is a PS4-level PSP3 would be exactly what the Japanese market desires (coughespeciallycompanieslikefalcomcough). and the hardware is there now

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Vita design is miles better than this. Also, stop putting a sim card into a handheld console. It doesn't need it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
what's sad is a PS4-level PSP3 would be exactly what the Japanese market desires (coughespeciallycompanieslikefalcomcough). and the hardware is there now
indies would love it too I'm sure after they blossomed on Vita and Switch.

Ultimately though Sony doesn't care about the desires of these industry segments. They believe they're big enough in the global console market that these developers will have no choice but to support them anyway.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Just wanted to share this since I honestly love concept type consoles and whatnot. And it would sure be cool if anyone finds any more stuff like this to share in this thread:

The internals the owner of the video describes are way too powerful (costly) for the device but hey one can dream right?

Being a Vita fan something like this would be a dream come true ngl.

What do you guys think?

My hands hurt just looking at it and I don't get why there are so many cameras.

I don't see Sony making another portable until they can economically make a "Portable PS5" in regards to making games work CPU/Asset-Streaming-wise.

GPU can be scaled back a bit in order to target, say 1080p only, maybe 720p IR with FSRing up to 1080p if Sony can work with AMD for a Driver-level solution.

But CPU and the SSD are important as Sony is pushing games using that SSD's streaming speed as an integral part of their games (Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart.etc). And I feel Sony won't do another portable system until the user can just take their current PS Library and play games from it on the new portable.

Now, with how fast AMD is advancing in regards to tech, this could be a potential future on the CPU side before the potential PS6 comes out (Zen 4 is shaping up to be insane already with 3D V Cache), and GPU wise I do feel that 1080p 60fps in a small-form-factor even if it's FSRing 720p 60fps to 1080p could be feasible with RDNA3.

The main thing though is the SSD as that thing likely chugs power and kicks off a lot of heat, so making an equivalent SSD would suck back a lot of power unless if there is a revolution in SSD Power efficiency while still streaming at 7GB/s, and that's not to say anything about their hardware decompressor.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Isnt the memory bandwidth on mobile still too low for that? memory bandwidth takes a lot of power and the other problem is PS software isnt very rigid by design (as in, its not meant to be scalable between different hardware like MS does it but rather have developers optimize for the specific hardware with no abstraction layer to it), i think the idea itself is pretty interesting, but I feel like even if its doable at the moment, it probably wont have a good battery life either, at least not at a decent cost attached.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
The problem was in making a dedicated handheld that required separate development resources in 2012. The Vita was doomed from the jump. Given resources are never infinite, Sony moved them to where they needed to be, on the PS4. It would have been a colossal blunder to waste even more resources on the Vita.

Nintendo couldn't support two dedicated platforms either, but due to their strength in that market they were able to hold out a few years longer. Moving to one hybrid platform solved the problem for them.

The era of the dedicated handheld platform is over. It's dead.
I kind of both agree and disagree. No one would argue that games developed for handhelds in mind are also designed for handhelds specifically. It's the "pick up and go" approach that made Nintendo's efforts successful for years.

In the case of Sony the PSP always had more "console experiences" in mind with it's handheld approaches but even then a Daxter or Vice City Stories was different then its console counterpart. I would want straight up ports of console games to a handheld either.

I disagree that it was never going to work. It did work, but ultimately much like the PSVR it needed dedicated efforts, studios, and resources.

In the case of Nintendo, having handhelds for 30 years isn't "holding out," it's thriving.

OP
OP
Garrison

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
My hands hurt just looking at it and I don't get why there are so many cameras.

I don't see Sony making another portable until they can economically make a "Portable PS5" in regards to making games work CPU/Asset-Streaming-wise.

GPU can be scaled back a bit in order to target, say 1080p only, maybe 720p IR with FSRing up to 1080p if Sony can work with AMD for a Driver-level solution.

But CPU and the SSD are important as Sony is pushing games using that SSD's streaming speed as an integral part of their games (Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart.etc). And I feel Sony won't do another portable system until the user can just take their current PS Library and play games from it on the new portable.

Now, with how fast AMD is advancing in regards to tech, this could be a potential future on the CPU side before the potential PS6 comes out (Zen 4 is shaping up to be insane already with 3D V Cache), and GPU wise I do feel that 1080p 60fps in a small-form-factor even if it's FSRing 720p 60fps to 1080p could be feasible with RDNA3.

The main thing though is the SSD as that thing likely chugs power and kicks off a lot of heat, so making an equivalent SSD would suck back a lot of power unless if there is a revolution in SSD Power efficiency while still streaming at 7GB/s, and that's not to say anything about their hardware decompressor.

Making a portable ps5 would be a waste of time and resources. And there would be less incentive from devs to participate in such a thing with the fact that it just more sense to do game streaming directly from the console to a portable like this. Mobile architecture is just way to different to the one we use for consoles but powerful in their own right.

Sony already has everything someone could want for a portable. They have a massive library of portable titles from the Vita, PSP, backwards compatibility with ps1 and they could add ps2 to it, mobile titles and already had the endearment of the indie community.

They let go of all of that thinking their failure with the vita was due to it being too niche and let Nintendo run to town with a console hybrid [They tried that with the vitaTV] that beats them in sales every month almost. And instead chased the VR market which is actually niche for real, has limited devs, has limited interest and requires that you be already invested in Playstation, meaning that it does not bring substantially new players into the ecosystem.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd support the existence of a new handheld PlayStation for sure. But at this point I have more faith in a handheld Xbox happening.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Making a portable ps5 would be a waste of time and resources. And there would be less incentive from devs to participate in such a thing with the fact that it just more sense to do game streaming directly from the console to a portable like this. Mobile architecture is just way to different to the one we use for consoles but powerful in their own right.

Sony already has everything someone could want for a portable. They have a massive library of portable titles from the Vita, PSP, backwards compatibility with ps1 and they could add ps2 to it, mobile titles and already had the endearment of the indie community.

They let go of all of that thinking their failure with the vita was due to it being too niche and let Nintendo run to town with a console hybrid [They tried that with the vitaTV] that beats them in sales every month almost. And instead chased the VR market which is actually niche for real, has limited devs, has limited interest and requires that you be already invested in Playstation, meaning that it does not bring substantially new players into the ecosystem.
The Switch itself is the reason Sony won't make a new handheld until it can at least hang around with the PS5 and both can play the same games.

Nintendo raised the bar for the portable space, and Microsoft is the only one so far to compete and they are side-stepping it via Xcloud using a device everyone has (Smartphones).

Sony will either go the route of Microsoft and expand PS-Now to the level of XCloud, or go the Nintendo route and make a proper hybrid system.

And if they do the latter it will have to play the PS5's games otherwise they run into the same problem Nintendo did with the Wii U and 3DS with their First-Party companies having resources and projects split between the two systems.

If they can both play the same games with the only major effort to make it work on either one is optimization rather than fundamental programming, then that helps keeps Sony's current model.

Sony will not go back to a split-dev model no matter how hard people want it because they are too used to the single-dev model right now, and even Nintendo making the Switch shows that it is a better model to do than dividing resources between Console and Portable games.

So the next Sony portable, if it ever comes, will have to cross-compatible with PS5 games without much hassle in order to keep that.

It's a sad thing for Portable PS fans, but it's the objective fact of the matter.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
sXkxeMs.png

lmfaooooo fuck this takes me back

OP
OP
Garrison

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I'd support the existence of a new handheld PlayStation for sure. But at this point I have more faith in a handheld Xbox happening.
Portable Xbox happening would be really good honestly and with Xbox studios having such a vast amount of talent it would make sense. I think however that MS is so focused on the Services/Games aspect right now and playing it safe to go into new things like that but I would love to be wrong.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
sometimes I really wonder how differently things would have gone if the PSP and Vita were significantly more successful in the market, given Sony would have made different decisions with pricing and what not. Video was neat, the music was really relaxing

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Given what we've seen from the Steam Deck's APU would it be impossible for Sony to pull off a PS4 Portable?

…I think the biggest flaw in the PSP/Vita was devs specifically had to make games for it, it might be a lot different if there was minimal effort to scale back their existing PS4 titles to run on a PS4 Portable (720p/30) vs having to develop on a completely different architecture. Also, dev tools are a lot different these days and make it much easier to scale things up/down for different systems.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Given what we've seen from the Steam Deck's APU would it be impossible for Sony to pull off a PS4 Portable?

…I think the biggest flaw in the PSP/Vita was devs specifically had to make games for it, it might be a lot different if there was minimal effort to scale back their existing PS4 titles to run on a PS4 Portable (720p/30) vs having to develop on a completely different architecture. Also, dev tools are a lot different these days and make it much easier to scale things up/down for different systems.

The fact that Valve is able to sell the Steam Deck for $399 proves without a doubt it is 100% possible for Sony to do the same with a portable of similar or slightly worse specs that's capable of playing the entire PS4 library. Literally the only thing stopping them is wether or not they think it's worth bothering with.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The fact that Valve is able to sell the Steam Deck for $399 proves without a doubt it is 100% possible for Sony to do the same with a portable of similar or slightly worse specs that's capable of playing the entire PS4 library. Literally the only thing stopping them is wether or not they think it's worth bothering with.
I think Valve potentially saw the Switch as a long term threat to their Steam library lock-in. Since Switch, I've exclusively bought all my indie games on that platform because of the convenience of it. Why wouldn't I want the ability to take a lot of my library with me… and if I want plug in and play on a big screen? Buying on Steam you're kind of locking yourself into a desktop ecosystem (or I guess a gaming laptop).

I've heard a lot of people stopped buying indies on the PS4 and instead when all in on the Switch so I could see Sony feeling that same pressure.

The Switch format is just too convenient to ignore– especially these days were a lot of games don't need a lot of horsepower to run and be enjoyable.