• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I think not supporting Dolby Atmos/Vision is a bigger problem than this.
To be fair, that it makes it inferior to the best Panasonic UHD player, but a lot of UHD players don't even support DV. They should let us pay for the license and support those tech, I'm sure there's no bottlenecks on the hardware side.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Any chance this is related to the issue a number of us are having with not being able to activate 4K/hdr despite enhanced mode being on and all other devices working fine?

I tested it more and 4K/hdr does work however there is a issue with the PS5 and many (not all) receivers right now apparently. We've been testing it and discussing it in a few forums and here's the summary:

On the PS5, 4K HDR does not work with some receivers and soundbars; this is for both 60 Hz and 120 Hz

The PS5 "Video Information Screen" shows that 4K HDR is supported, but HDR does not turn on.

For other devices such as the PS4 Pro, Xbox, and 4K Bluray players; 4K HDR does work using the same equipment.

4K HDR does work if connected directly to the TV

It's not the HDMI cables - another user below is able to get it to work with their HDMI 2.0 equipment by using the supplied cable between PS5 and receiver, and another HDMI 2.1 cable between receiver and TV. I've yet to try this.

It's not the "enhanced mode / ultra deep colour mode" as that is already turned on

It's unlikely related to the 4K 120 Hz HDMI chip issue affecting Panasonic, Denon etc. because it also affects 4K 60 Hz devices

It is likely an EDID / Handshake issue between the PS5 and setup.

Hoping it's a fix that will come via firmware update

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
The HDMI chip in the PS5 is the Panasonic MN864739, if the chip is capable of doing 40-48 Gbps then Sony is clearly limiting its usage for now just like they are with VRR.

Expect these things to be patched in via a firmware upgrade as usual.

Thank you for this.

I'm presuming myself they'll show off it running VRR at CES to demo since tvs.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
If the PS5 will eventually support 8K60 (compressed) then bandwidth should not be a problem for uncompressed 4K120. Hopefully we will see VRR and 8K support soon.

Rente

Oct 31, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I didn't try to do a capture. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Hmm. The OP clearly states so I'm not sure what you mean that it has nothing to do with what is discussed here. Could you expound on this? Am I completely mistaken about why the image looked different?
With 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 there is no obvious visible difference in the reproduction of color values compared to 4:4:4 for the eye. The restriction to 4:2:2 at 120 Hz is primarily noticeable in very fine details (e.g. fonts), but most games take this into account anyway (and hardly use them at all).

"Less color information" does not mean that obvious differences between the modes can be seen immediately. If differences are immediately visible, then this is more due to the fact that the playback device cannot correctly handle 12-bit signals and 4:2:2 (was a problem with various OLEDs and LCDs for years). Alternatively, your output device does not use the same configuration for 60 and 120 Hz, which results in visible differences for you.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
You don't pay royalty fees using open source, Sony is pretty capable of using their own technology as is the case with the audio engine in the PS5 and the usage of VRR once it's patched in via a firmware update.

makes no sense, freesync is royalty free (even has "free" in it's name)

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
With 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 there is no obvious visible difference in the reproduction of color values compared to 4:4:4 for the eye. The restriction to 4:2:2 at 120 Hz is primarily noticeable in very fine details (e.g. fonts), but most games take this into account anyway (and hardly use them at all).

"Less color information" does not mean that obvious differences between the modes can be seen immediately. If differences are immediately visible, then this is more due to the fact that the playback device cannot correctly handle 12-bit signals and 4:2:2 (was a problem with various OLEDs and LCDs for years). Alternatively, your output device does not use the same configuration for 60 and 120 Hz, which results in visible differences for you.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I didn't change inputs (obviously) so I assumed that the picture settings were exactly the same between modes. I will be thorough when I do my new investigation. I hope that it was all just a absentminded oversight and I can fully immerse myself in 120 Hz mode. :)

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!! (looks at my shitty 1080p TV)...

It will be fine, this is fixable by firmware update and we clearly don't have enough content that requires 40Gb/s

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
can someone tell me what features would be missing on the LG CX since its hdmi is capped at 40gbps? instead of the full 48?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
People here do realise that next to nobody has a VRR display that they will be using with their console right? Even in a few years time you'll still be talking a tiny percentage of the market because people generally don't buy new TV's that often.

I remember when they said that about HDTVs back in 2005...

Anyway, I have a VRR display. I've been using it with my Xbox One X and now my Xbox Series X since I bought the TV last year. It works great. It doesn't really matter if a tiny percentage of people have it, so long as you have it. :-)

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
That would explain why the cable isn't labeled as HDMI2.1, since in order to use the label all spec requirements must be met

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is a hardware issue I would just not be able to understand Sony. This HDMI support can't be so expensive and the backlash is way worse.

Especially for a company like Sony which was always top notch in this regard, especially with their consoles (first cheap DVD player, PS3 was great at BD).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Yeah. If you hook your PS5 up to a monitor (that can do 4K 120hz HDR via HDMI 2.1... and uhh... there's less than five of those atm, and I'm not sure if they have launched or not), you'll see the difference clearly in the PS5 menu on text and other high contrast UI elements with sharp edges, but that's it. When I use my PS4 Pro on my HDMI 2.0 4K HDR monitor, I can clearly see the change when HDR clicks in to sharpness on high contrast edges. But only on the system menu. Even at a monitor viewing distance where it looks horrible in the UI, I couldn't say I notice it one bit in games.

I don't think this is going to make for any real noticeable differentiation even in a few years time should 12 bit panels be readily available or what have you. Compared to lack of VRR support at launch, which for people with a VRR set is a really obvious difference. This really isn't anything other than curious.

And that's all presuming they don't increase the bandwidth with a patch.

But sure, I guess if you use your PS5 on a monitor and you sit close enough, and you spend a lot of time in the menus...

And to be blunt, this is coming from someone who has his PC output set to a lower refresh rate so I can get 4:4:4 on my monitor. I could push it from 98hz to 120hz at the cost of color accuracy and I choose not to cause it makes text look much worse, but then on my PC I'm looking at webpages and word documents regularly. Using the PS4 Pro on the same monitor? I looked into what was going on the first time I noticed it in the menus, and then promptly forgot about it.

Oct 30, 2017
Ahhh I remember the good oul days when all I dreamed of was 4k/60fps as the gold standard. Now we're bringing in 120fps, ray tracing etc. There's always gotta be "something" more.

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
Its actually not. None of all this is a "big problem".

This is one of those areas where there is a massive disconnect between what happens on Era and what is the case for everyone else.
It is for me. I don't care about anyone else really as I'm playing with my PS5.

To be fair, that it makes it inferior to the best Panasonic UHD player, but a lot of UHD players don't even support DV. They should let us pay for the license and support those tech, I'm sure there's no bottlenecks on the hardware side.
I agree, that solution would've benefit me as a consumer and not put "unwanted" costs on anyone who doesn't want it.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I truly understand what you're getting at but let's not get hyperbolic to the max. I have a high end audio and video setup and don't care about either. If it's there I'm cool with it but if it's just straight amazing 5.1 or good hdr then that's all you need.

Some people are getting into some list wats and feel it's necessary to remind us that this system doesn't support VRR or there are no games for the other and blah blah blah

We get it and know the issues. Most of which aren't a big deal when it comes to the point of enjoyment.

We live in an age where things can thankfully be patched. Be thankful for that.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I agree, that solution would've benefit me as a consumer and not put "unwanted" costs on anyone who doesn't want it.
I think 50$ would be a fair price. I'll probably wind up buying a dedicated UHD player if not. Just found out that the Panasonic UHD player I had in mind costs 2000$, I might wind up with a XSX as a UHD player if it's the only one that checks all the boxes.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Exactly and Sony already said it's updating to 8k in the future so we know it's capable
Like they have a 8k tv that's supposed to be "ready for PS5" and the tv supports 8K60 etc so it would be ridiculous they tout that and the system doesn't support it when they enable 8K lol.
It supports atmos via bitstream passthrough. Like every other PS system.

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
I truly understand what you're getting at but let's not get hyperbolic to the max. I have a high end audio and video setup and don't care about either. If it's there I'm cool with it but if it's just straight amazing 5.1 or good hdr then that's all you need.

Some people are getting into some list wats and feel it's necessary to remind us that this system doesn't support VRR or there are no games for the other and blah blah blah

We get it and know the issues. Most of which aren't a big deal when it comes to the point of enjoyment.

Nobody is arguing about patches. They pointed out an issue and many people think it will be fixed.. getting hyperbolic ? When I pay 1500$+ on my setup it's fair to ask for the same thing the competition is offering -especially if it can be patched- I'm not gonna through away my PS5 just because it doesn't support certain audio formats.. but it would be nice -FOR ME- to be available in it tho

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm guessing once 8k 60 supports is added, then the full bandwidth of the chip will be unlocked. Also VRR has yet to be added to the system.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Since it definitely looks like something that can be addressed in a firmware update, I added the word "currently" to the title for a little better clarification

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
I think 50$ would be a fair price. I'll probably wind up buying a dedicated UHD player if not. Just found out that the Panasonic UHD player I had in mind costs 2000$, I might wind up with a XSX as a UHD player if it's the only one that checks all the boxes.
Yaah my XSX is going to be my UHD player moving forward, especially with Apple TV service coming soon as well.
I'm just glad my Sony Z9F supoorts DTS:X also as well which I think is in PS5 since it was on my PS4

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Nobody is arguing about patches. They pointed out an issue and many people think it will be fixed.. getting hyperbolic ? When I pay 1500$+ on my setup it's fair to ask for the same thing the competition is offering -especially if it can be patched- I'm not gonna through away my PS5 just because it doesn't support certain audio formats.. but it would be nice -FOR ME- to be available in it tho
You paid 1500 for your setup and you are using a game system to get the most out of it? When most people spending money like that aren't going to doing that? Lol even the XSX is not doing Dolby vision for blu-rays just apps.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't buy an XSX as a UHD player until it's confirmed the UHD player supports DV. The One X only streaming services supported DV.

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
Like they have a 8k tv that's supposed to be "ready for PS5" and the tv supports 8K60 etc so it would be ridiculous they tout that and the system doesn't support it when they enable 8K lol.

It supports atmos via bitstream passthrough. Like every other PS system.
It doesn't show as Atmos on my Sound system but it says Dolby Digital DD+..

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

TheRealMjeed

Oct 30, 2017
You paid 1500 for your setup and you are using a game system to get the most out of it? When most people spending money like that aren't going to doing that? Lol even the XSX is not doing Dolby vision for blu-rays just apps.
Yaah what we're not gonna argue about is my purchasing decisions buddy and whether or not I'm using "inferior" consoles to get the most out of them.
It's true the Series X doesn't support Dolby vision for Blueray movies and that's a shame, it should be patched as well since it supports it for streaming purposes as well. It does support Atmos tho day one. And hopefully Sony will have something prepared by the next update or so

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Did that from both my PS5 and LG C9 TV .. still shows DD+..

* apologies about the double post😑*
Other post is Dolby vision needs a dedicated chip to get the most out of it, they can't just patch it in for blu-rays, for streaming apps it works with the software solution. And all I'm saying is there will be tradeoffs using actual dedicated players than consoles and if you want the most out of your system you need a dedicated player or be okay with tradeoffs. I can understand the DV on streaming apps, but neither is more than likely patching for Blu-Ray.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm a little confused as to why the phrasing I've been seeing in here is that Sony is "limiting" their chip from doing VRR.

AFAIK VRR is something that requires software AND hardware to accomplish, and isn't something a GPU will just automatically do on it's own unless told to and specifically coordinated with by the OS/drivers along with the game software.

Is that wrong? It's what I hear mentioned briefly by enthusiast videos like NX Gamer etc. (i think)

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony uses their own open source VRR would it still work with Freesync and Gsync TVs?
HDMI-VRR is an HDMI standard, not "open source" or anything Sony are developing themselves.
"G-Sync Compatible" is branding which certifies that a device's implementation of HDMI-VRR passes NVIDIA's quality standards.
FreeSync-over-HDMI or "FreeSync" is its own thing and must be licensed from AMD.

vrr-table-3yrk5m.png

Status
Not open for further replies.