• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
VRR requires that you output 120Hz at all times for it to function correctly. So you would be outputting 120Hz even if the game is running at 4K30 - which might otherwise have frame-pacing issues without VRR.
That's not accurate. You don't need to output at 120Hz for VRR to function properly.

Most TVs have a range which as long as your output fps falls within it would work. Lik the C9 for instance was anywhere from 40-120Hz. And don't forget, even the XB1/XB1s supported free sync VRR. And those weren't doing 120fps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the LG Z9 sport a 12 bit panel? Mind you that's also with a $30,000 price tag but still.
Hence why it's not a thing yet lol.

There are a couple of other displays that do too. Most of them ould buy you a new car though.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's not accurate. You don't need to output at 120Hz for VRR to function properly.
Most TVs have a range which as long as your output fps falls within it would work. Lik the C9 for instance was anywhere from 40-120Hz. And don't forget, even the XB1/XB1s supported free sync VRR. And those weren't doing 120fps.
If the range is 40–120Hz you need to output 120Hz to cover the full 0–120 FPS range via low frame rate compensation (LFC).
Outputting 60Hz would limit you to 40–60 FPS, and do nothing for anything below it, like my 4K30 example.
It should be noted that most TVs only support a minimum of 48Hz rather than 40Hz though.

The Xbox does seem to have special-case handling where some 30 FPS games may be able to use 20–30 FPS VRR on a 40–60Hz display, but that's not a general part of the spec, and does not apply to all games.
As a general rule, you want to be outputting the maximum supported refresh rate at all times with VRR.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Personally I've always found the drop in chroma resolution noticeable in games; not only PC content.
It matters less the higher resolution you go, but is still noticeable to me. I've always chased down support for RGB/4:4:4 from the SNES onward.
It generally doesn't matter at all for video though.

This is why I've been frustrated that newer TVs started to ditch proper 4:4:4/RGB support in PC/Game Mode; e.g. LG's OLEDs suffering from color banding in the 4:4:4 PC mode, unless dropping chroma resolution to the 4:2:2 Game Mode.

I agree. The impact on games is kind of minimal compared to regular desktop PC use (text), but I still like having it.

But the PC mode banding bug on LG seems to be fixed, at least on the CX. Vincent brought it up in one of his recent videos (I think one of the Series X settings videos). He used some gradient test patterns and there seems to be no difference in banding with or without PC mode (both in 10 bit).

In general I don't know why some here are so eager to give Sony a pass on the technical issues. No ALLM, no VRR, and now no options to get full chroma bandwidth? I think it unlikely that the chip is limited to 32Gbps, and if that's the case there's no point in leaving capability on the table. Don't really care how minor the benefit is.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. The impact on games is kind of minimal compared to regular desktop PC use (text), but I still like having it.

But the PC mode banding bug on LG seems to be fixed, at least on the CX. Vincent brought it up in one of his recent videos (I think one of the Series X settings videos). He used some gradient test patterns and there seems to be no difference in banding with or without PC mode (both in 10 bit).
I was not aware that this had been fixed - that's great news!

In general I don't know why some here are so eager to give Sony a pass on the technical issues. No ALLM, no VRR, and now no options to get full chroma bandwidth? I think it unlikely that the chip is limited to 32Gbps, and if that's the case there's no point in leaving capability on the table. Don't really care how minor the benefit is.
It's definitely a problem. Some people can't seem to accept that there might be issues with "their team" even if they are only minor. No criticism allowed at all.
Hopefully this is something that can be changed via an update, and was just something to get the PS5 out of the door on time.

a slightly rested, maybe dumb question but, if you are using 4:2:2 does the RGB full or limited setting even matter?
YCC/YUV (444/422) is intended to only use limited range.
Full-range RGB is more of a PC thing really.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I was not aware that this had been fixed - that's great news!

It's definitely a problem. Some people can't seem to accept that there might be issues with "their team" even if they are only minor. No criticism allowed at all.
Hopefully this is something that can be changed via an update, and was just something to get the PS5 out of the door on time.

YCC/YUV (444/422) is intended to only use limited range.
Full-range RGB is more of a PC thing really.
Makes sense. So if my tv and ps5 are both set to automatic, it should negotiate to limited them if I'm in 4:2:2

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Like Matt said it would be updated, the console isn't able to output 8k yet and that requires the full 48 GBPS spec of HDMI 2.1.

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Like Matt said it would be updated, the console isn't able to output 8k yet and that requires the full 48 GBPS spec of HDMI 2.1.

I thought so at first, but then I realized Sony didn't mention what refresh rate and color depth they would be using for 8k. You can still get 8k24hz, 8 bit, 4:4:4 with 32gbps. Hoping to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath after the 4k120hz debacle with the X900H/XH90.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I thought so at first, but then I realized Sony didn't mention what refresh rate and color depth they would be using for 8k. You can still get 8k24hz, 8 bit, 4:4:4 with 32gbps. Hoping to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath after the 4k120hz debacle with the X900H/XH90.
Sony just update that tv yesterday. It supports the PS5 4k120 now and they fixed the blur. I would think minimum would be the 8K30 spec imo. And 10bit

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Huh, I knew the cable wasn't long enough for what I needed so I bought a 48gbps cable last week and installed it ready, looks like that was a good idea.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
First they refuse to include Dolby Atmos support because "Tempest 3D" but it only works with headphones, then they fail to include VRR at launch (sorely needed in AC:Valhalla), and now this.

Lots of little compromises over the years from their hardware, and its quite surprising and disappointing.

It's not surprising. This is the same company that has refused to put in a 4K Blu-Ray player inside of the PS4 Pro while Microsoft supported it within both Xbox One S & Xbox One X.

Edit:

This will be updated.

Oh, good.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As far as I know, the blur at 4k120hz has not been resolved with the latest firmware (v6.0394).
Yeah I see the same looking into it more. Same time they did enable HDR when people didn't think the OG PS4 could do it. So I guess we will have to see but I think it will get ironed out, same thing happened with my older tv they added HDR to it and I didn't expect it.

nss

Apr 10, 2018

The truth of the situation is that most people don't yet have displays capable of taking advantage of those features. It sucks for those of us that do, but it's clear to me that the PS5 OS software is coming in hot. I have to imagine these features are planned (VRR is/was listed on their blog at one point), just lower priority (as they should be). There's higher priority stuff they need to sort out like the external storage issue people are having, internal storage expansion, usability of various aspects of the OS. As someone with a display capable of these features I still want Sony to sort that stuff first before getting to this.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's hoping he's not wrong but was told it's full HDMI 2.1. He didn't say he hopes it can be updated.

It would be pretty dumb for it to have an 8K label on the box and not be able to output 8K which needs 48 gbps.

Fair. I don't even know who Matt is, but the video is from a reliable source. Expecting this to be a simple patch update seems...optimistic?

WelshBluebird

Jul 22, 2020
People here do realise that next to nobody has a VRR display that they will be using with their console right? Even in a few years time you'll still be talking a tiny percentage of the market because people generally don't buy new TV's that often. Mainly it is just when their old one dies, or they move flat / house and need a new TV for a new space. The suggestion that a console should support VRR to fix games that drop frames is nuts. It is the games that should make sure they get as close to their framre rate target as possible. DF mentioned this in their AC:Valhalla comparison - the tearing in that game is fixed by VRR but you can't expect people to have a VRR display atm so really the game needs to be patched to fix the issues independently of VRR.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I was kinda surprised that the Xbox did 444 at all TBH, let alone at 120fps, so this isn't entirely a surprise.

I was speculating from a support perspective that a lower bandwidth signal such as 422 would give easier results for many on day one.
Especially for those with existing setups using the wrong cable or those trying to use longer cables.

It's not unfeasible that they add in support at a later date

Oct 28, 2017
Will image/video capture on the PS5 console be affected by the 422 display output signal? (instead if it had been 444?)

Last edited:

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Remember the hand wringing when the series x and the lg cx were 40 gbps. Lol. Didn't have Aristotle coming in to explain things hopefully then.

Sony is already outputting fake hdr on the menu screen and over sdr Containers. Clearly they went for the flashy features that will wow the casual consumer. I don't have much hope that any of this is getting fixed year 1.

I just want the rest mode bug fixed so that I can play Spider-Man Remastered without having to shutdown the ps5 every time

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If you need 48Gbps for 4:4:4, and most TVs are 40Gbps (becuase they're only 10bit panels so they decided not to go full fat) - then what is transmitted?

Are you just using 4:4:4 as a carrier but actually only using like 4:4:2 or similar to be 10bit?

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
Found on another forum, as Vincent said it is capped at 32Gbps.

ps5_frl_bandwidthklkfo.png

The PS4 HDMI chip was also capped at launch though wasn't it? It was rated at HDMI 1.4 but was later updated via firmware to support HDMI 2.0?

Either way I don't get why it would be capped in the first place.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a hardware limitation or a result of the fact that PS5 isn't supporting VRR for now? Maybe it only supports 32Gbps because that's how much is needed for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.