• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete

Jul 4, 2019

We analysed the HDMI 2.1 output from the Sony PS5 (Playstation 5) console, and found that the maximum bandwidth it can deliver either at 4K@60Hz or 4K@120Hz is currently 32Gbps, which is lower than the 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 bandwidth on the Xbox Series X.

I wonder if this is related to there not being VRR and ALLM which are HDMI 2.1 features.

What the lower bandwidth means is that less color information is delivered when the output is @ 120hz. Someone who knows more than me can correct me but in real terms 99.9% of people won't be able to notice the difference between a 32Gbps signal (120hz 4:2:2) and a 40Gbps signal (120hz 4:4:4).

Still it would be great if it did support 40Gbps, hopefully that can be updated in the future.

Last edited:

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I understood any of this. Luckily, I don't think 120hz is going to really be much of a "thing" any time soon.

Bummer for PS5 owners though, I think?

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This would explain why I've been having weird washed out/crushed blacks with 4K/120 right?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
That seems strange, but I trust Vincent's work so something seems either off or Sony cheaped out on the HDMI.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems strange, but I trust Vincent's work so something seems either off or Sony cheaped out on the HDMI.
I'll watch the video shortly, but the description mentions output, I'm assuming this isnt about the cable by the system itself?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder if this is related to there not being VRR and ALLM which are HDMI 2.1 features.

What the lower bandwidth means is that less color information is delivered when the output is @ 120hz. Someone who knows more than me can correct me but in real terms 99% of people won't be able to notice the difference between a 32Gbps signal and a 40Gbps signal. Still it would be great if it did support 40Gbps, hopefully that can be updated in the future.

pretty sure Xbox one X had VRR just not the 2.1 VRR which is up to 120hz

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
First they refuse to include Dolby Atmos support because "Tempest 3D" but it only works with headphones, then they fail to include VRR at launch (sorely needed in AC:Valhalla), and now this.

Lots of little compromises over the years from their hardware, and its quite surprising and disappointing.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Soooo this means less color depth available on PS5 at 4K/120fps than on Series X? Or am I reading that wrong?

Edit: nm I see my question was essentially answered.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is this a hardware thing or a software thing?

either way, i feel that for this launch, sony seems abit rushed in terms of the hardware side of things (OS, packaging,etc) for the ps5 but makes it up with the software while microsoft is the complete opposite...their hardware & OS seems much more mature and stable but then the software is not there.

Can't have it both ways i guess.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I am dumb and I have a HDMI 2.0 TV(those 2 things are not related btw), does this matters in any way for me?
No won't make a difference for your use case, it's bandwidth for hdmi 2.1 features. So for example you'll have to pick and choose more features to support at once rather then having them all available which is what the full hdmi 2.1 bandwidth of 48gbps can do. The more the better of course.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First they refuse to include Dolby Atmos support because "Tempest 3D" but it only works with headphones, then they fail to include VRR at launch (sorely needed in AC:Valhalla), and now this.

Lots of little compromises over the years from their hardware, and its quite surprising and disappointing.
Otoh they have a Series X class console at $399...
They always said they designed the PS5 to be cost conscious, scalable easily, while powerful (same for the PS4 before it btw).
I think 4K/ 120hz just wasn't a priority for them in that way.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why these consoles were developed to use the entire 48 Gbps. Wouldn't this mean that neither consoles van do 4k + FreeSync Premium + 120 Hz + Dolby Vision + 4:4:4 at the same time? Does anyone know what 40 Gbps allows, at most?

OutToLunch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

it means absolutely nothing to the average consumer. No cares except people making YouTube videos and people on message boards. People play games they don't worry about hdmi bandwidth or color rate. The games are still going to look and play equally great.

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why these consoles were developed to use the entire 48 Gbps. Wouldn't this mean that neither consoles van do 4k + FreeSync Premium + 120 Hz + Dolby Vision + 4:4:4 at the same time? Does anyone know what 40 Gbps allows, at most?
With 40 Gbps you can do all that. The only thing the last 8 are for is a 12 bit panel. This is how I understand it at least.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Anyone wondering what the difference is between 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling should check out Rting's very informative page on the subject.

Bottom line is, unless you're using your display as a PC monitor, you will most likely never notice the difference in color accuracy between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Firmware update can solve this.

Very few titles even run at 4K 120 so I suppose it wasn't a priority for Sony at launch.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
That explains why it's not labelled as 2.1 I guess.
No it does not.

At 4K60hz mode, the PS5 outputs the full 4:4:4 chroma with 12bit color depth. When outputting at 120fps, it drops the chroma to 4:2:2. Basically using the same bandwidth but with less color information. Basically, sony optimized their chipset specifically for a 4K60Hz output. It could have been worse, it could have been 4:2:0.

But this s a non-issue, this is one of those things that no one would probably notice unless you were told.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I am dumb and I have a HDMI 2.0 TV(those 2 things are not related btw), does this matters in any way for me?
0 difference for u (and me).

HDMI2.0 tv can't even display the full RGB range with HDR enabled due to the HDMI2.0 bandwidth limitation.....this is only for newer tvs with HDMI2.1 specs

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017

Atmos works on ps5. Just choose Dolby bistream. It does it just like the ps4 does

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It should be noted that this can, hypothetically, be patched, as pointed out in the video, as long as it isn't a hardware limitation (which is unlikely).

Is there any difference in real world terms?

Essentially it only really matters when gaming at 4k and 120 Hz, but gaming at that level will drop it from 4:4:4 Chroma down to 4:4:2.

I'm guessing that the lack of VRR and such on launch for the PS5 means Sony went for minimum viable product and are planning to patch what they can in later.

I doubt Dolby Vision being a thing but I could see a patch fixing this issue and the VRR bit in the near future.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it does not.

At 4K60hz mode, the PS5 outputs the full 4:4:4 chroma with 12bit color depth. When outputting at 120fps, it drops the chroma to 4:2:2. Basically using the same bandwidth but with less color information. Basically, sony optimized their chipset specifically for a 4K60Hz output. It could have been worse, it could have been 4:2:0.

But this s a non-issue, this is one of those things that no one would probably notice unless you were told.
aight thanks. So ill get a new cable when i make a TV upgrade then.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The "good news" is if you have an HDMI 2.1 reciever that has the hardware bug the PS5 still displays properly.

This isn't a huge deal, but it's annoying and will marginally impact picture quality due to 4:2:2.

The HDR wrapper for SD content is a bigger issue

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Anyone wondering what the difference is between 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling should check out Rting's very informative page on the subject.

Bottom line is, unless you're using your display as a PC monitor, you will most likely never notice the difference in color accuracy between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2.
Hmm well seeing as I'm playing on an lgc9 and in PC mode I'm guessing this would affect me but if it can be updated then I'd imagine it will once they get the vrr situation straightened out.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't AC Valhalla fine on PS5? Don't get me wrong, no VRR is stupid but I don't think it's sorely needed in AC Valhalla. PS5, just XSX

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

40 Gbps is theoretically just fine because it can do 4k 120hz at 4:4:4 with 10 bit color. You need 48 Gbps to do all that at 12 bit color, but all the consumer TV panels on the market right now aren't 12 bit anyway, so it shouldn't make a difference. Now if you really get into the weeds of the subject, you'll find some enthusiasts out there that say color banding can be slightly reduced on some sets (depending on the each set's color processing) if reducing 12 bit signals to 10 bit - so technically the full 48 Gbps might be better (or not) on a case-by-case basis, but that gets into some real split hairs territory.

32 Gbps, on the other hand, looks like it'll see a slight loss in color detail as the signal drops to 4:2:2. If you're pretty close to the set, you can make out the difference in 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 in finer color details. For most people, it'll still probably be just fine, but it's going to be a more measurable difference.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Isn't AC Valhalla fine on PS5? Don't get me wrong, no VRR is stupid but I don't think it's sorely needed in AC Valhalla. PS5, just XSX

Valhalla still drops frames, which is what VRR would smooth over.

Pretty much every game in existence drops frames at least once, and that's what the aim is for.

Valhalla is just extra noticeable because the differences between the two consoles is pronounced and the game also tears like crazy.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla still drops frames, which is what VRR would smooth over.

Pretty much every game in existence drops frames at least once, and that's what the aim is for.

Valhalla is just extra noticeable because the differences between the two consoles is pronounced and the game also tears like crazy.
Yeah for sure. I have it on XSX, not PS5 so I have no experience with it on that platform (I also haven't seen any dropped frames, likely due to VRR support on Xbox) but I've been seeing that it runs much better on PS5 all over the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.