• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 6, 2017
US
I need some green waves to understand this.

qjeVpcS.jpg

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
it's a reasonable request, there should be an option, other than locating the beeper on the board and voiding it's warranty

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The venn diagram of people who don't get the beep problem, and don't notice the smoke detector battery chirp is a complete circle.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Don't see the problem, I really like having a sound indication everything is working and it even isn't that loud

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take it a step further and say, give us an option to also replace the boot up screen.
Let me have that beautiful PS1 intro.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I need some green waves to understand this.
LMAO

This reminds me of this gif I made for a thread about the PS4 beep waking children up.

opl4Chw.gif

I should've put "Go back to bed!" right at the end...

Yeah, I don't see why anyone would be against an option in the OS settings like Xbox.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Just tested it with all the doors closed. I can CLEARLY hear it from my son's bedroom, through our connected bathrooms. I also went to the living room on the other side of the house and it is still heard. Other people being oblivious does not change the stupidity of the narrative some people want to push for... for being aware of our environment? You can literally hear the thing turn on from dozens of feet away. I imagine when my kid hears it at night after his bed time it's even more obvious because he doesn't have decades of ear damage to dull the sounds too.

Doesn't make it a bigger deal than it is, but it's pretty ignorant to be laughing about how impossible it is for sounds to travel.

Oct 25, 2017
Just tested it with all the doors closed. I can CLEARLY hear it from my son's bedroom, through our connected bathrooms. I also went to the living room on the other side of the house and it is still heard. Other people being oblivious does not change the stupidity of the narrative some people want to push for... for being aware of our environment? You can literally hear the thing turn on from dozens of feet away. I imagine when my kid hears it at night after his bed time it's even more obvious because he doesn't have decades of ear damage to dull the sounds too.

Doesn't make it a bigger deal than it is, but it's pretty ignorant to be laughing about how impossible it is for sounds to travel.
I don't disagree with OPs request, but based on your description of your place, can you do anything in your home once people go to sleep. Use the microwave, flush a toilet, take a phone call, have sex?

It's a reasonable request, Era can just be a little hyperbolic sometimes in response to reasonable complaints, not OP, but definitely some of the comments.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't disagree with OPs request, but based on your description of your place, can you do anything in your home once people go to sleep. Use the microwave, flush a toilet, take a phone call?
Well I can do it all, but the problem is when my kid goes to bed he isn't happy. I have to wait until he is actually asleep and not drifting off - and that includes not using the bathroom, not slamming the doors, and not turning on the PS5 for a little while. Doing those things gets his attention and upsets him. My point wasn't about how impossible it is for me to turn on the PS5, it was just about the literal fact some people are acting like it's some sort quiet beep when I'm actuality I can hear it from dozens of feet away so that is clearly not true. It's louder than some people want to admit for some weird reason.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Era forbid Sony takes into account 14 years of feedback and finds a way to add an option to turn off a beep for their latest hyper-advanced ray-tracing console that's cooled by liquid fucking metal because it will surely destroy their share price with all the R&D necessary for a feature that already exists because it doesn't beep when remote play is activated.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
honestly..... I would buy custom beeps
-MGS codec call
-Ape Escape Monkey
-Killzone Chirp

giphy.gif

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Mine has a weird noise besides that beep when i turn it on. Sounds like the disc drive, it always comes after the beep

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Mine has a weird noise besides that beep when i turn it on. Sounds like the disc drive, it always comes after the beep
It should only be making sounds if there's a disc in your drive I think? Mines usually silent but if a movie or game is in there it spins fairly loudly upon boot up and intermittently after that.

Oct 27, 2017
The beep sucks. Even if they muffled it a little bit it would be better. No reason why it should be as loud as it is.

I understand that you can use the remote app to start the console without the beep, but thats a bandaid.

I'm actually surprised this was an oversight.

Wait you can start the console like that? Is it on the PS App or the remote play app? (I only use the former)

Last edited:

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Never had a problem or really noticed the PS3/4/5 startup beep. I do get annoyed when booting up my XSX and forget about the startup screen sound that's similar to those THX audio intros in theatres. Now I just turn on the XSX and wait about 20 seconds before turning the TV on.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Don't the beeps have some kind of diagnostic value? The console makes different beeps if it was shut down incorrectly or if there are other issues, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
The beep is undeniably wake up anyone in the room loud. I'm just struggling to buy how it's wake up the house loud presuming someone isn't sleeping directly on the other side of the wall anyone keeps their playstation, like a adjacent dorm rooms.

But regardless, yes you should be able to turn it off.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the beep is popular with neckbeards living by themselves.

Sucks for people who have partners and (most importantly) little babies.
I live in a house big enough that the beep isn't noticeable for anyone else, but back in our old place this would have been an issue 100%.

Also keep in mind that parents only get to game when the kid is asleep, which makes this extra annoying.
Just let people disable it ffs
My wife doesn't care and I'm clean shaven so I don't understand being so derogatory.

Option should exist but don't be a jerk.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Easy solution
Grab 7-10 pillows and wrap them all around the PS5 using high grade rope.
Turn on the PS5.
Remove all attached pillows.
Win?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is how I picture some of ya'll setups after reading this thread

2PYVHFu.jpg

Exactly.

I understand not liking the beep, but I'm legitimately curious is to how it's able to glide through your walls and wake up a house or apartment so easily. I thought this was gonna be a "I want to play games without waking up my SO" thread.
This arrangement isn't all that different than my situation really. My wife and I have a 1 BR apartment -- the PS5, XSX and my Switch are in the bedroom with my TV and I usually lean against the wall while on the bed to game. We have my old PS4 Pro for movies and her Switch in the living room. She usually watches TV in the living room while I game in the room. The beep 100% is loud enough to wake a person and/or at least cause them to stir. Hell, you can hear the beep in our living room.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
?

Why are people being jerks about this? It's pretty loud and the option to turn it off or lower it would only be a good thing.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
8bba62a07d811835a0c8d5ef1c6df5c9af748a7f672ff3ba69da0491e39bda73_1.jpg

It's not the end of the world but it can't be that hard to add a setting to turn it off, either...

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
As someone who had issues with a dying powersupply that I have to unplug replug constantly on a previously loved PC. That POST beep is like a sign of relief that its working fine for me. I just realized I didn't install the beep speaker on my current PC.

That triple beep when powering up from a power outage tho. I know something's gone wrong.

I get its such a minor thing that is a big thing for other people tho. There are times when I hear the beep and know that someone was using my PS5 while I am sleeping.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
I understand that you can use the remote app to start the console without the beep, but thats a bandaid.

…a feature that already exists because it doesn't beep when remote play is activated.

what are yall talking about. I literally just now turned on my PS5 with remote play and I heard the beep. The dreaded beep that shakes me to my core.

Anyway yeah it beeped. Does it not beep for you guys?

EDIT: Reddit says you gotta connect to the PS5 through the internet instead of local LAN. fuckin weird lol

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Takes me back to my early teens, when I got a PS3 and I became addicted to Oblivion. Had to smother that godforsaken beep with pillows when I turned it on for a late-night session, lest my parents hear me getting ready to chug skooma at 1AM.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
um, first of all its a PS5 not a microwave lmao. second of all, it is pretty loud and piercing given the frequency of the beep. I don't have this issue personally, but I can imagine it being annoying for someone who games in their bedroom and doesn't want to wake their SO at night time with it.

I am pretty sure flicking lights and sounds from controller/button smashing are bigger problem than one beep that isn't even that loud

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if anything i'd go the other way and have stupidly loud but memorable start up music again lol

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
How about 3 beep levels. Low, Medium and High? High being the current sound.

And Off of course. Why not. Choices with hardware are nice to have.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
what are yall talking about. I literally just now turned on my PS5 with remote play and I heard the beep. The dreaded beep that shakes me to my core.

Anyway yeah it beeped. Does it not beep for you guys?

EDIT: Reddit says you gotta connect to the PS5 through the internet instead of local LAN. fuckin weird lol
I guess Sony doesn't want to find out what happens if a console beeps and no one is there to hear it, lol.