• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
And if we go by Omnipotent words, actual from insider, From is not doing BB2.

Yeah.

What if it's the Knack team who is making Bloodborne 2?

b2EmwxC.jpg

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think Sony Japan could make a good BB2 they have a solid foundation to build on.

From comes once in a while and give a thumbs up, and I'd take that game any day of the week. Honestly, should just patch BB for PS5 and market it again.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'd dig a BB2 even without From. It wouldn't need to be an ARPG, personally.

I just don't want that IP to go to waste, there's plenty of directions a sequel could go that's not retreading old ground.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
New IP takes much longer to make than a sequel.
Simplification
Sequel ~2-3 years
New IP ~4-5 years

So a new IP early on for PS5 has to come from another studio.

The time it takes to make a new IP vs. sequel is entirely dependent on how different the new IP is. Remember, Bend took 7 years to release Days Gone after Uncharted Golden Abyss, and that was because they went through various new IP concepts and had to choose one. I bet they even have ideas that they still want to do and are not entirely dead, but any new IP from them will more than likely use the foundation of Days Gone (like the assets and resources) and be another open world action shooter.

Not to get into the territory of "fan dreaming", but I'd love to see them do a game similar to the cancelled PS3 game Eight Days. That game had you taking on a mob syndicate and had you travelling across highways to visit eight states (across eight days, hence the title). Going from Days Gone to that should be nowhere near as challenging as building something entirely different.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'll guess we'll see in a relatively short space of time. But if it's 80K + Benji's word on Japanese market sales, even when they're closed, becomes law around these parts... At least for me lol.

Benji has said himself he has 0 contacts when it comes to Japanese data so he liked just pulled that number from the Mediacrate thread.

He just knows US data from what I know so anything outside of the US is just a guess or coming from an official outlet.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If Aokji can be an insider so can a random twitter user, I welcome him to our list of Sony insiders.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't rule it out. Sony thrives on new AAA IPs and I don't believe that has changed even though they have sequels coming to PS5 that'll probably be the most important releases in their company history. Problem with that is it really compromises their ability to have a brand new major PlayStation franchise specifically meant for PS5 anytime soon.

They are aware of this and I just wouldn't be surprised if Bend is doing a new IP for PS5 already.
Days Gone IS Bend's new IP. They are set for the future. Then Ghost of Tsushima is coming. Sucker Punch's new IP.
I think Naughty Dog may do a new IP next, after TLOU. Then there is Japan Studio. And 3rd party collaborations, working a new Sony IPs.
And yeah, I still think Sony needs 2 more AAA studios. They don't have enough right now for AAA PS5 AND PSVR stuff.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Concerning insiders, I don't recall anyone hinting the first State of Play announcement; which is a somewhat pleasant surprise.

All we got after that announcement was "don't expect much" from Zhuge, lol.

It's because I knew people would overhype it.

I'll provide further expectations once the next State of Play is announced. (Yes, it's something Sony wants to do regularly)

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Days Gone IS Bend's new IP. They are set for the future. Then Ghost of Tsushima is coming. Sucker Punch's new IP.
I think Naughty Dog may do a new IP next, after TLOU. Then there is Japan Studio. And 3rd party collaborations, working a new Sony IPs.
And yeah, I still think Sony needs 2 more AAA studios. They don't have enough right now for AAA PS5 AND PSVR stuff.

I don't think you're looking at the broader picture here for how Sony prioritizes ushering out new IPs for new generations of PlayStation. I mean, look at how Killzone and inFamous were basically soft-rebooted for the PS4. Sony was hurting badly at this time so they had little flexibility in what they could do with their studios, but you could see that even though they had no major new IPs ready that they still wanted to give that sense of "newness" with the unveiling of the PS4 that new IPs give.

Now, most their first party studios were only able to deliver one installment of their latest franchises on PS4. That means we are going to see more Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, etc. after their PS5 sequels. This ties up their first party in a lot of ways so I could just see them having Bend be picked for making a new IP before getting on a PS5 sequel to Days Gone because of how important it is to Sony to have new IPs at the center of their first party offerings each generation. Hence why I believe Sony is in a tight spot in that regard so a move like that for Bend would be justifiable.

But yeah, Naughty Dog is definitely doing a new IP and Guerrilla seems to be doing one too. Even so, that still seems minimal and not where Sony wants to be for major new IPs on PS5. Third parties would be an immediate solution, so I hope to see that too.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're looking at the broader picture here for how Sony prioritizes ushering out new IPs for new generations of PlayStation. I mean, look at how Killzone and inFamous were basically soft-rebooted for the PS4. Sony was hurting badly at this time so they had little flexibility in what they could do with their studios, but you could see that even though they had no major new IPs ready that they still wanted to give that sense of "newness" with the unveiling of the PS4 that new IPs give.

Now, most their first party studios were only able to deliver one installment of their latest franchises on PS4. That means we are going to see more Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, etc. after their PS5 sequels. This ties up their first party in a lot of ways so I could just see them having Bend be picked for making a new IP before getting on a PS5 sequel to Days Gone because of how important it is to Sony to have new IPs at the center of their first party offerings each generation. Hence why I believe Sony is in a tight spot in that regard so a move like that for Bend would be justifiable.

But yeah, Naughty Dog is definitely doing a new IP and Guerrilla seems to be doing one too. Even so, that still seems minimal and not where Sony wants to be for major new IPs on PS5. Third parties would be an immediate solution, so I hope to see that too.
I don't think you understand how hard it is to create a new AAA franchise. Bend is not working on a second "new IP". They are a small studio with 130 people and they worked for years to create their new AAA IP with Days Gone. I took Guerrilla almost 8 years to create Horizon. Bend Studio is set with the Days Gone franchise. Guerrilla is soon big enough (400 devs) to have one big AAA team and a pre-production team for a second AAA project. So there is maybe a "new IP".
I'm not sure TLOU2 will get a sequel. I think Neil doesn't want to create multiple sequels like for Uncharted. Maybe they will finish the TLOU storyline with TLOU2. Who knows?
But right now, almost every major Sony AAA studio is set with their own franchises. Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima are new IPs. Now we have to look at the 3rd party collaborations. Housemarque, Supermassive Games, Arrowhead, Ready at Dawn, From Software and KojiPro. It's possible (!) all of them are working on Sony games (I mean, we already know Supermassive and KojiPro are).

Status
Not open for further replies.