• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
tenor.gif

This thread xD

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's only so much marketing budget, time, and space in the market anyway. The more games you end up making, the more certain people in this thread will be whining the software got "sent out to die".

Jan 3, 2019
+1

Sony was in dire straits last gen, yet their output was prolific.

Despite the resounding success of PS4 this gen, they've been heading in the opposite direction.

They better blow all of us out the water whenever they decide to have their next major conference, lol
Pretty much. Last gen they had the most diverse lineup of games of any publisher. Going forward I can't imagine it'll be anywhere close.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you market your game better - you will get more sales

It's really not as straightforward as this, though. There are so many components that go into a successful launch, and the thinner you spread those resources, the more challenging it becomes to execute effectively. Hence, products are sent to die.

Oct 25, 2017
+1

Sony was in dire straits last gen, yet their output was prolific.

Despite the resounding success of PS4 this gen, they've been heading in the opposite direction.

They better blow all of us out the water whenever they decide to have their next major conference, lol

Didn't Shawn say, "fewer but bigger games" or something like that?

I feel like people are expecting too much out of Sony. They found success in a model, and for better or worse, that's what they are pursuing.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly we should just close this thread already, Sony is no more making exclusive games :/

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
So what exactly is Microsoft's justification for not bringing Cuphead to PS4? It's a single-player game without any online functionality, so it's not like Sony would have any problem with it.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I feel like people are expecting too much out of Sony. They found success in a model, and for better or worse, that's what they are pursuing.

Giving their big studios more time shouldn't lead to them closing studios and almost abandoning midtier and indie games.

They're making more money than ever. Sprinkling 3-4 A-AA games into each year wouldn't bankrupt them.

I love the big games form them but honestly i'm a big sony fan since the fisrt one because of the width of their releases.

Things like Tokyo Jungle, Journey or Puppeteer really are missing.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly is Microsoft's justification for not bringing Cuphead to PS4? It's a single-player game without any online functionality, so it's not like Sony would have any problem with it.

Playstation is about as direct of a competitor to Xbox as two companies can possibly be. Nintendo is also a competitor, but they kinda do their own thing that appeals to other people, same with PC and mobile.

PS and Xbox aren't going to work together very often.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

He said that but it's been their mantra for many years now. It baffles me how they consistently put out software and people question whether they're going to suddenly stop.

Yet people eat talk up regardless of action. Microsoft has talked big this whole gen with little to show but when they have absolutely nothing to show and still talk big people cheer. Nintendo has been putting out great titles though and so has Sony but people don't care about that they just want people to talk big like when the PS2 launched.

Giving their big studios more time shouldn't lead to them closing studios and almost abandoning midtier and indie games.

They're making more money than ever. Sprinkling 3-4 A-AA games into each year wouldn't bankrupt them.

I love the big games form them but honestly i'm a big sony fan since the fisrt one because of the width of their releases.

Concrete Genie, Medievil, Everybody's Golf VR, Erika, Blood and Truth are just some already announced. They've been sprinkling in AA games these past few years too.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Playstation is about as direct of a competitor to Xbox as two companies can possibly be. Nintendo is also a competitor, but they kinda do their own thing that appeals to other people, same with PC and mobile.

I mean, yeah, that's the reason why. But this is where the "Ball in your court" phrase should come into play to force Microsoft's hand.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Concrete Genie, Medievil, Dreams(kinda)?

Oct 25, 2017
He said that but it's been their mantra for many years now. It baffles me how they consistently put out software and people question whether they're going to suddenly stop.

Yet people eat talk up regardless of action. Microsoft has talked big this whole gen with little to show but when they have absolutely nothing to show and still talk big people cheer. Nintendo has been putting out great titles though and so has Sony but people don't care about that they just want people to talk big like when the PS2 launched.

Concrete Genie, Medievil, Everybody's Golf VR, Erika, Blood and Truth are just some already announced. They've been sprinkling in AA games these past few years too.

Yea, I agree it's been there mantra for a few years now. I'm simply suggesting because thats the case, people expect too much. They are going to keep going as they have been.

Oct 25, 2017
The others are making hardware investment too. And we still don't know how big their investment is with PS5. They could get complacent and PS5 could be their 'XB1' generation.
They can't control what others do so I don't think that matters.

As for how much they are investing in PS5, they've already said they will heavily invest in Playstation. I mean, it is a key pillar for their entire company.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Once Stadia subscribtion takes off, and the battle becomes about content. Sony's gotta adapt fast.

A bunch of AA low 80s games will be better than a 1 AAA 90+ GOTY.
Hmmm maybe Nintendo should take that approach? A bunch of slightly above average Zelda games will be better than one 95+ Zelda game everyone has to have!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

He just meant in comparison to the past. During the PSone days you could have studios releasing a new game every year. That's just not possible now. So fewer games are just an inevitable part of the process as development times increase.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Sony can improve a lot in the upcoming months, especially now with Google
- PS5 has to be BC with at least PS3 and PS4 games (because PS3 games are still good looking today and this gen has a lot of gems)
- PS Now with a big catalog of PS1/PS2 games, to be both downloadable and streamable
- Invest in their studios/create more studios/buy studios to create more content

I hope they invest a lot in these because videogame industry will change a lot soon

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018

Nono you seem to misunderstand, AA titles only matter when its games I care about it.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Google literally just put together a first party studio with Jade Raymond in charge so maybe, 2023 at the earliest for their first game.

Personally, if im Sony, I stay on course. PlayStation 3 and 4 have had discs, downloads and streaming. No reason to change any of it. Offer all three as opposed to restricting gamers to only one option. Sony has by far the best first party studios, IP's and games in this industry and that won't ever change.

Watching that Stadia presentation was a joke. It seemed like all fake promises and style over substance. No thanks. At least Easy Allies made it tolerable. LOL.

score01

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's more to do with Xbox live framework integration. Nintendo allow that on their platform, Sony do not. Conversely, in some weird parallel universe, I don't think MS would allow psn integration on any Xbox release either.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
What all the games Sony has in the pipeline, being concerned is crazy imo.

They have 4-5 huge exclusive games in the coming 2 years, this is fucking nuts.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This is not about Sony and MS working together 'cause Cuphead is owned by Studio MDHR. They should be able to do what they want with their own IP. I think it will come, but the focus is probably getting XBL working across Switch - then they will likely focus on a no-frills port to PS4.

I think it's more to do with Xbox live framework integration. Nintendo allow that on their platform, Sony do not. Conversely, in some weird parallel universe, I don't think MS would allow psn integration on any Xbox release either.
It will be fully playable on Switch without any of that stuff though. The XBL support is coming after the launch. It can release on PS4 without network functionality just like it will on Switch because this team is independent and owns the IP.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Mhm. I know you know. Just be patient people! I'm sure we'll get info when the time is right. We still have four huge exclusives left, plus some great titles like Dreams, Blood and Truth, and Concrete Genie. And I prefer their approach of giving info when they have info to share, because when they give us info it'll be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.