• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like any external partner can demand SIE to release their game on another platform, first it was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and then thatgamecompany games and now Quantic Dream games.

I am surprised by their decision specially nowadays as platform exclusive content is becoming more and more important and they're losing the content they own?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
They're not "losing" anything they own, they still own these IPs as can be seen on the product pages. They clearly gain something from this (read: moneyz).

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Also, where does that leave WWS now?

I mentioned this earlier, but QD made unique games that are multi-million sellers; budgets were low too.

Sony also nixed all of their indie development.

Do y'all think their focus and investment in VR played a role in these decisions?

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like any external partner can demand SIE to release their game on another platform, first it was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and then thatgamecompany games and now Quantic Dream games.

I am surprised by their decision specially nowadays as platform exclusive content is becoming more and more important and they're losing the content they own?

Losing a few exclusives to the PC market is a small price to pay if it means maintaining a good relationship with these partners and enhancing their reputation as a publisher in the eyes of future partners.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't realize yet Era is in a bubble, most people don't actually care if Sony doesn't announce anything

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Losing a few exclusives to the PC market is a small price to pay if it means maintaining a good relationship with these partners and enhancing their reputation as a publisher in the eyes of future partners.
Yeah, they probably get something in return too like marketing deals. Plus it helps that Epic is focusing on PC market, as you can see they can be threat if they ever enter the console space.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
What does this mean for Second-Party games now?

Will Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Bloodborne end up on other platforms too?.

Insomniac is possible
But Bloodborne is co-developped with Japan Studio (1st party) and Death Stranding use Decima Engine (Guerilla ==> Sony)
Maybe Until Dawn, but also use Decima Engine.

If a JapanStudio game port to PC, now we can dream a Bloodborne PC version.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
This gen is basically over for Sony. They have nothing left to sell you on because the PS4 already sells itself. It has one more Holiday to itself and a price cut/bundle is more than enough to push it through that. When it's PS5 time, Sony will be ready.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any other company trying doing this kind of strange decisions, Microsoft is releasing games on PC because of Windows not because of any good will. What does Sony gain with releasing games on Epic Games Store - a direct competitor?

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I just finished Detroit. Going to make a LTTP thread later tonight, but well fucking done Quantic Dream.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any other company trying doing this kind of strange decisions, Microsoft is releasing games on PC because of Windows not because of any good will. What does Sony gain with releasing games on Epic Games Store - a direct competitor?

They aren't letting go of exclusives at random though. I'm sure they'll be limiting these kinds of deals to titles from partners who are ending their exclusive relationship (like thatgamecompany and Quantic Dream) and that aren't system sellers.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
This gen is basically over for Sony. They have nothing left to sell you on because the PS4 already sells itself. It has one more Holiday to itself and a price cut/bundle is more than enough to push it through that. When it's PS5 time, Sony will be ready.

Unpopular opinion but Sony would be smart to make TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding cross gen titles or maybe even next gen only.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mentioned this earlier, but QD made unique games that are multi-million sellers; budgets were low too.

Do y'all think their focus and investment in VR played a role in these decisions?
Definitely yes. I've been thinking the indie money went to the VR initiative a long time ago. Games like Fat Princess and Bound have been replaced by games like Farpoint and Firewall.

As for WWS, there will be new partners. Always are. Probably "unknown" studios that haven't had a notable project yet like Tarsier and Ovosonico before they worked on PlayStation IPs. Now whether or not they're VR games remains to be seen. I'd assume there will be some indie-scale and AA projects to pad the early PS5 years while the heavier hitters cook.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Its worth pointing out Sony isn't necessarily putting these on Epic Store only. They're coming to PC full out a year after, so I can imagine it's Quantic Dream themselves who agreed the Epic deal.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see more people excited at the prospect of more Sony exclusives releasing on other platforms.

Specifically, Bloodborne.

I literally cannot think of a scenario that would prevent that game from releasing elsewhere now.

The game was developed by Japan Studio so perhaps when Sony sells them to be able to afford to make the PS5 they'll release the game on PC. /s

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're then some studio who're branching out and Sony allows them to release their games on that platform. Likely as a good will gesture given how hard it can be for independent studios.

This. If nothing else, the Quantic Dream thing is probably about them maintaining that relationship. QD likely wanted to put the games on PC, and Sony worked out a way to make it happen.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
When did Sony start marketing the PS4 or at least started to hint at next-gen? Late 2012?

They never mentionned the PS4 before the actual reveal event, which was teased in early 2013.

Unpopular opinion but Sony would be smart to make TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding cross gen titles or maybe even next gen only.

I would be livid as I'm not planning on buying a PS5 right away (although full BC with ps4 could tempt me to buy one sooner than planned).

Yeah well looking at Cage's tweet and i dont see anything that indicates better relationship with them and Sony

Yep not sure what's up with that. His French tweet uses the exact same wording so you can't blame it on a clumsy translation. Edit: wait I checked again and I was wrong, his French tweet doesn't mention Playstation at all.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Its worth pointing out Sony isn't necessarily putting these on Epic Store only. They're coming to PC full out a year after, so I can imagine it's Quantic Dream themselves who agreed the Epic deal.

It's not up to quantic dream. It's up to Sony as they own the ips and were the publishers.

The only reason for this this is one of/combination of three things.

1. Epic payed them a fuck ton of money
2. Keep relations with qd good as they are branching out to be third party (time exclusive on their future projects etc)
3. Making non monetary deals with epic (either giving Sony a pipeline to PC publishing of their games or more marketing deals for epic games on ps4.)

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
We've already gone through all the phases of speculation. The only realistic measure now is the same from weeks ago: let's keep waiting until there's an announcement about... anything. This strategy of silence is not good or bad in itself. What they choose to show when the time comes, it's what will make them or break them. I don't believe this is the right method for how fast things move nowadays, staying silent for so long while the rest of players maintain a more public face, but patience isn't a virtue by chance.

PS: I'd bet my avatar Death Stranding releases on EGS within a year of its PS4 launch.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are expecting Sony to have a show before or during E3, much like a direct or something, but I honestly think we won't get anything until November or December, and even then it won't be substantial.

By that point the hand wringing people will be doing about Sony's silence and lack of known plans for the future will really get incessant.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
We've already gone through all the phases of speculation. The only realistic measure now is the same from weeks ago: let's keep waiting until there's an announcement about... anything. This strategy of silence is not good or bad in itself. What they choose to show when the time comes, it's what will make them or break them. I don't believe this is the right method for how fast things move nowadays, staying silent for so long while the rest of players maintain a more public face, but patience isn't a virtue by chance.

PS: I'd bet my avatar Death Stranding releases on EGS within a year of its PS4 launch.

We all just hope that when they will announce their things, it will be gigantic and not disappointing

The last interview I read of a Sony execs is that they thought streaming will not replace console before long time but I do hope they anticipate what Google have announced

Because more than ever, content will make the difference

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Sony needs to say something everytime another platform does something? Like why? What is wrong with you people?

They had what one conference last year and it wasn't great. They have nothing for this year.

But Shawn layden said last year, see you next year. The only big news so far is loosing exclusive content 😂.

Oct 26, 2018

How about they partner with dontnod for similar games like what qd make

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Insomniac is possible
But Bloodborne is co-developped with Japan Studio (1st party) and Death Stranding use Decima Engine (Guerilla ==> Sony)
Maybe Until Dawn, but also use Decima Engine.

If a JapanStudio game port to PC, now we can dream a Bloodborne PC version.
Spider-Man on PS4 is published by Sony, it's a first party game. Insomniac is an independent developer. If there's a Spidey game on other platforms it won't be called Marvel Spider-Man

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
A lot of people are expecting Sony to have a show before or during E3, much like a direct or something, but I honestly think we won't get anything until November or December, and even then it won't be substantial.

By that point the hand wringing people will be doing about Sony's silence and lack of known plans for the future will really get incessant.
If they leave it that long (which I honestly wouldn't be surprised with), people will be losing their shit lol

I don't think this strategy of silence is good, but I don't think it's bad either. Gives them a chance to survey the field, and there's a lot going on recently to watch.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
We all just hope that when they will announce their things, it will be gigantic and not disappointing

The last interview I read of a Sony execs is that they thought streaming will not replace console before long time but I do hope they anticipate what Google have announced

Because more than ever, content will make the difference
Yeah, as Betty was saying right above, the longer it goes without an statement or an event, the more anxious people will get. Whenever it's time to drop the hammer, it'll have to be something massive (for example: surprise PS5 announcement with price, release date and gameplay footage of big exclusives coming for launch period). Otherwise, the disappointment and noise will play against them.

I almost admire the boldness of their strategy, this absence, but I don't know how much of it is pure recklesness. It didn't take that much to go from a PS3 scenario to PS4's success, and the same is valid vice versa. I simply trust they know what they're doing, because competition is going to be tough these coming years.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some people here really need to take a chill pill. Sony is playing their cards in the right way. Just be a little more patience.

Nov 2, 2017
What does this mean for Second-Party games now?

Will Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Bloodborne end up on other platforms too?

Sony's new lazer-focus their First-Party stuff doesn't bode well for 2nd or 3rd party exclusives.
The future is to create a hardware agnostic ecosystem anyway. I expect that in less than 5 years you'll be able to play any first party Sony games day 1 on PC. They just won't be native ports.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony only cares about GOTY level developers. They got 3 in ND, SSM and MM. They are working with Kojima and From Software. QD is a nice developer but not GOTY level. I expect them to work with one more at that level or elevate one of their studios.

Feb 26, 2018
If you think about it - where all that insane PS profit goes? It's not like they really expanded their first party offerings

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This seems a bit too benevolent on Sony's part since they just recently said that they want to focus on developing their own IPs.

They can do both as not many fall into the same category as these studios. Look at the studios whose games Sony has allowed to be released on the PC. Arrowhead's last game was in 2015 and TGC's was in 2012. While QD's was obviously much more recent, realistically no one should expect to see a new game released from them until 2023/4. They're all studios where this can help them, and it doesn't really hurt Sony. I think another factor is also that since they're cutting ties there isn't going to be a Journey 2 or a Detroit 2. They're one and done games. On the other hand, there's obviously going to be a Spider-Man 2. And i'd imagine if they can get things worked out, there's going to be a Bloodborne 2.

Feb 26, 2018
Question: How long untill Spider-Man comes to Xbox?

Insomniac: Never

Question: How long till it comes to xbox, to which Insomniac replied "never". This proves NOTHING about a PC release later, until they deny it for PC too.

Insomniac: It's not coming to PC

Insomniac: It is a permanent exclusive and is published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.
Sony can publish it on Steam if they want.
No one forced them to put QD games on EGS. It's their own decision

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it - where all that insane PS profit goes? It's not like they really expanded their first party offerings

That we know of. Sony doesn't really sing from the rooftops when they do this stuff. Just look at the San Diego studio they're building or when they started expanding Guerrilla. They didn't make a big deal out of either.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony really needs to start securing developers before all the big players get into the game and start throwing money right and left. Sony has a huge advantage when it comes to content and the large network of relations they worked on in +20 years. With that network getting smaller and smaller Sony needs to work a bit more especially with big independent developers going almost extinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.