• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't see why it would be necessary really to show these retailers new gameplay. There are retail people there that basically don't give a damn about games in the first place. They are there for the business side of things like

- is it a mature title with violence?
- how much did the previous entry sell?
- what are your plans for marketing?

The basic stuff and I'm guessing some of the terminology used there is probably a snooze fest for those that are a bit more into gaming.

Previous events had some new gameplay trailer descriptions like the Red Dead 2 trailer.

Plus, people are starving for new info.. last event with new info TGS and VGAs

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
The subject is Horizon, then Mathijs says "what's next."
Yeah, Horizon 2 here we go!

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Destination is a very cool event. Sony generates a lot of excitement with retailers.

What I'm referring to is dont think of this as some sort of E3 thing where Sony secretly told a room full of people the release dates to their upcoming games and talk about the PS5. Thats not what this event is for

So what is the event for exactly? For retailers to just stand idly by and talk to Sony reps about marketing?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation holding conference in Beijing on March 7th to promote China Hero Project games, release dates expected:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...-project-games-release-dates-expected.102615/
I thought Sony was being quiet this year but already we've had:

- Statement about a PlayStation leadership shuffle
- Interviews and interesting tidbits from Shawn and Shuhei
- Dreams Creator Early Access release window + plans
- Days Gone new trailers and big upcoming preview event
- Destination PlayStation with showings of their games for retailers
- Beijing "China Hero Project" Conference in March
- General newsworthiness of God of War winning awards

Seems like they still have a lot to talk about and show.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Oh ok, so third parties are also present there. Thank you for responding Benji.

I worked in a different industry, but to give context on how retailer-partner events work.

It's not that you go there to show trailers/share release dates/etc and you're done.

Sure, you share those things.

But you also create the platform where you talk about product's audience, planned marketing initiatives surrounding those products, the point-of-sale materials that retailers would be supported with for certain games, what aspect of the game could be 'retailer-exclusive' for cross-promotion. You share details about the product's planned marketing roadmap so that retailers themselves can figure out what the publisher is planning to do to support a game and plan their own allocation and resources to support the game's launch in their own way.

And then lastly, and arguably the more important aspects of these kind of events... is there to build a sense of partnership/friendship/loyalty between the different partners. These events are held in fancy hotels with luxurious events and activities to make your partners feel appreciated, happy. Get them drunk, fed on good food, have the time of their lives. It might seem trivial or meaningless, but these kind of 'soft-touches' matter a lot in any industry where you rely on partners to distribute your products to the widest global audience.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I worked in a different industry, but to give context on how retailer-partner events work.

It's not that you go there to show trailers/share release dates/etc and you're done.

Sure, you share those things.

But you also create the platform where you talk about product's audience, planned marketing initiatives surrounding those products, the point-of-sale materials that retailers would be supported with for certain games, what aspect of the game could be 'retailer-exclusive' for cross-promotion. You share details about the product's planned marketing roadmap so that retailers themselves can figure out what the publisher is planning to do to support a game and plan their own allocation and resources to support the game's launch in their own way.

And then lastly, and arguably the more important aspects of these kind of events... is there to build a sense of partnership/friendship/loyalty between the different partners. These events are held in fancy hotels with luxurious events and activities to make your partners feel appreciated, happy. Get them drunk, fed on good food, have the time of their lives. It might seem trivial or meaningless, but these kind of 'soft-touches' matter a lot in any industry where you rely on partners to distribute your products to the widest global audience.
That makes a hell of a lot of sense. For consumer events like E3 or PSX, you need to hype up gamers with new content, so the publisher will sell them the latest projects they have in development and when to expect them. Consumer events are focused on information about the games themselves and other things that matter to people willing to buy your products.

For events like Destination PlayStation, you need to hype up retailers. Why should vendors participate in the distribution process and what should be informed to fans looking to buy those games? What are the pre-order benefits, special editions, merchandising, exclusive bonuses, etc.? When they expect to stock these games is another issue to inform stores like Target. However when no release date has been decided, a generic quarterly estimate is given during the fiscal year ( or until early 2020 in this case).

Any leaks would probably pertain to sudden surprises the company plans on revealing soon like a new Call of Duty is always revealed in the spring, before E3, so distributors would want to be aware of such a big release in advance. Perhaps a new initiative is planned that involves retailers and so on. E3 is also important for retailers, though not as significantly as before thanks to this digital age. However, for new game announcements, it's important to realize Destination PlayStation might not be the place to discuss such products unless they are on the verge of being revealed to the public.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Guerrilla on this Milestone!
Looking forward to the sequel on next-gen.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
For me that title goes to The Last Guardian. Is such a special game. Trico is the best NPC ever.

I think I like TLG better as a game too, but when I weight ''best new IP'' it goes beyond as just best new game. Taking the values and foundations of the property and projecting of what could be done to develop such property are equally important IMO

Judging them that way, HZD easily takes that spot for me

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are supposedly clamouring for Sonya news and yet that PS conference thread is still on the first page. So what's the truth?.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.