• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
When are you betting for the next Sony show? Honestly I think we'll get news for sure, but no official show until... September?

Nothing until E3 next year. It'll be total silence until then.

Jin is going to be an interesting mascot for PlayStation, can't wait to learn more about him. Next-gen mascots:

Kratos/Atreus
Aloy
Deacon
Jin
Peter Parker/Miles Morales

Can't wait to play as the guy who wears a baseball cap backwards at his own wedding in PlayStation All-Stars 2.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody think Naughty Dog will make Lost Legacy type Last Of Us game in a short turn-around time for the PS5 after the initial game releases? Say a side story with Ellie's mother or Joel and Tommy?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Nintendo and Xbox fans are eating right now and we've been starved for juicy info for quite a while.
ah yes Microsoft has been eating them 6.0's and and hollow marketing talk. Very filling.

I get the want for rumors and announcements, but it's coming, and it will be here when it's ready. I'm sure of it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So did we get more info about what the Paris trailer for TLoU 2 was about? Is there gonna be two timelines and playable characters?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So did we get more info about what the Paris trailer for TLoU 2 was about? Is there gonna be two timelines and playable characters?

There are two timelines, but nothing else has been said about the characters shown in that PGW cutscene. A lot of people speculate that the mystery women is actually Ellie's mom. Especially since ND posted pictures of each of the characters in the cutscene and for that character they posted her with four black blocks to obscure her name. Ellie's moms name is Anna.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are two timelines, but nothing else has been said about the characters shown in that PGW cutscene. A lot of people speculate that the mystery women is actually Ellie's mom. Especially since ND posted pictures of each of the characters in the cutscene and for that character they posted her with four black blocks to obscure her name. Ellie's moms name is Anna.
That is gonna be interesting, I can't think of a game doing this.

Oct 25, 2017
Yo I need a Sony direct, a live at playstation something man.
Where's blood and truth, medievil, concrete genie at, all 2018 games, lil small update, a release window something? Tlou2,ghosts and death I ain't even gonna ask for

Who knows when tlou2 is coming but at least that's a sequel I kinda know how that plays.

ghosts? Can't even tell u what the hdd looks like(by comparison we've seen horizon, days gone hdds at least by this time from)

Ds? Yea I'm tired of hearing about how amazing it is but that's the Kojima cycle that's whatever.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Yo I need a Sony direct, a live at playstation something man.
Where's blood and truth, medievil, concrete genie at, all 2018 games, lil small update, a release window something? Tlou2,ghosts and death I ain't even gonna ask for

Who knows when tlou2 is coming but at least that's a sequel I kinda know how that plays.

ghosts? Can't even tell u what the hdd looks like(by comparison we've seen horizon, days gone hdds at least by this time from)

Ds? Yea I'm tired of hearing about how amazing it is but that's the Kojima cycle that's whatever.

Somebody break Sanji? Lol

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
So this is pretty cool, Nintendo apparently has a survey now on their website and look which game is listed under RPGs:
image0.png

Nintendo acknowledges horizon haha.
thanks to Renfran for finding this.

Lol this is too good

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Lol I'm thirsty that's all. they been mad quiet besides days gone which isn't saying much cuz that bad boy been everywhere since the start of 2018

Lol... I mean, it definitely has. It's only been really starting to look shaped up recently. So, hopefully, it's everything to the folks looking forward to it.

I had an initial idea that PlayStation would break silence to share when they would be speaking early and my thought was they would start really talking on a regular basis in a March.

This seems close to right as Previews for Days Gone break in early March. Though obviously I was wrong about them announcing when they'd announce things.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
This is completely unrealistic.There is no way Sony can afford to stay quiet for much longer if MS announces next gen machines in June at E3.

Sony is selling 2-3x more consoles than MS, have released those last years several GOTY candidates/winners and still have 4 major AAA that will launch the next months (plus some smaller titles).

They can stay quiet, games and sales are doing all the necessary talking. Era is a bubble that needs so e rumors and hype, but 7 billion people don't know and care about this forum....

If next gen consoles are only coming end 2020, who cares if MS announces the next Xbox already this year? Sony could still wait for beginning 2020.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Sony is selling 2-3x more consoles than MS, have released those last years several GOTY candidates/winners and still have 4 major AAA that will launch the next months (plus some smaller titles).

They can stay quiet, games and sales are doing all the necessary talking. Era is a bubble that needs so e rumors and hype, but 7 billion people don't know and care about this forum....

I know all that very well,but if their main competitor announces next gen consoles plus partnership with Nintendo in June at E3,big sharks like Google entering gaming market with streaming,Amazon/Apple maybe as well at some point,Sony doesn't have luxury to "just wait 2020 and keep quiet"-world around them is changing and changing fast.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I know all that very well,but if their main competitor announces next gen consoles plus partnership with Nintendo in June at E3,big sharks like Google entering gaming market with streaming,Amazon/Apple maybe as well at some point,Sony doesn't have luxury to "just wait 2020 and keep quiet"-world around them is changing and changing fast.

Announcing a new system is going to affect the Xbox One's sales alot more than anything else, and not in a good way. The announcements of these systems is not going to matter at all, remember how much criticism Sony got for not showing what the PS4 looked like at its reveal event? How silly does that look in hindsight?

Price, software, services, functionality, form factor, reliability, these are the things that will determine the success of these platforms, not when they announce them.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Course they have the luxury to wait, with Days Gone, Dreams and probably Death Stranding making this year a success for them people will not suddenly turn away from Sony because Microsoft are getting good headlines.

Neither next gen console is coming until 2020 and there's also the risk that by showing their hand first MS give Sony an advantage of stealing some thunder later on and keeping people in suspense about what they're going to reveal and when.

If Sony make no noise at all this year I still wouldn't be the least bit worried.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

I don't think PlayStation can be quiet until 2020, but mostly because their own sales strategy would tank around them.

You have to talk about your plans for the future eventually and do more than just preview events and YouTube trailers for your games as the outspoken promoters for your games.

I don't think Xbox announcing consoles and anything with Nintendo truly means anything for PlayStation in 2019. It means a lot for Nintendo, but it won't change sales outcomes for PlayStation.

The PS4 is already in decline, so it may get steeper, but making an announcement for PS5 won't change that. As long as Nintendo isn't open to put their games on other consoles, I'm not sure it means anything to them to not have a response.

Like, what's the response folks expect PlayStation to say: PS Now on Nintendo Switch? PS5 In 2020?

Really, the only thing they need to be saying sooner rather than later is cross-play and cross-progression is open for business and actually fulfilling that. Other than that, what else is there to really say outside of "this is the rest of our expected release dates."

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think they were on cruise control in 2012, then? Because that wasn't a particularly strong year first party wise.

They can't just will another game into existence. The only reason you're not getting a big release this month is because they delayed Days Gone from February because it was originally being released the same day Anthem and Crackdown 3 were coming out.
Between February and May of 2012 they released Journey, MLB, Twisted Metal, Starhawk and the Jak & Daxter Collection. This was followed during the second half by Sound Shapes, The Unfinished Swan, Tokyo Jungle, PAS Battle-Royale, LBP Karting, the Ratchet & Clank Collection and a bunch of PS Move games as Wonderbook that covered the same space now used by PSVR. The worst reviewed of all these games on Metacritic is over 70, none of them being a mediocre or terrible work a la Bravo Team last year. Meanwhile, they were supporting PS Vita's release with more than a dozen of original titles, developed or produced by SIE. All of that, coming from the final months of 2011 having Uncharted 3, Resistance 3 and the Team Ico Collection. The same year where they released Infamous 2, LBP 2 and KZ 3, among others.

Now I take some air.

And my answer is: on the contrary, I think they were actively doing all they could to reverse PS3's fortunes and get a good start for PSV. The number of titles they released during that period (and the quality of them, even if they all weren't blockbusters or the sort of runaway hit we've seen this generation) overshadow their efforts at this precise moment. I'll explain myself again: my point is about publishing efforts, for strategic reasons. Not once I've linked developers' efforts to this topic.

In any case, I wouldn't like this conversation to be focused so much on those particular words. My opinion, after all, is that they're going to surprise us after this June, so a "hitch" on the way, as it could be with these few months, is par for the course. It's either that or bad planning, and though half a year with nothing but PSVR games doesn't look that good to me (even having Astro Bot and the Tetris Effect collab as part of it), I don't believe for a second that's the case here. Delaying Days Gone (which you're right about, and I think it was a good call) put a hole in their calendar, but the only thing I'd criticize about that is riding on a whole quarter on a new IP's success. That delay, while on the subject, was to me a sign of how confident they are on their actual position, that same thing being what I meant with that expression: they are in control of the times, waiting for the right moment to share news with the community. Depending on how things go until then, they'll have to adapt those plans and act.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sony is the only one that can afford to stay silent, PS4 is still selling great and they still have big games to come, it doesn't matter if they talk about next gen this year or the next the internet will be all over it, though I'm still expecting a show from them this year with a PS5 announcement of some sort, early 2020 release.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't silent though, there's alot more to marketing than just making game/hardware announcement, they're still being very aggressive on the marketing front and securing big marketing deals with major third party games.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is the only one that can afford to stay silent, PS4 is still selling great and they still have big games to come, it doesn't matter if they talk about next gen this year or the next the internet will be all over it, though I'm still expecting a show from them this year with a PS5 announcement of some sort, early 2020 release.
This.
The PS4 pro and PS4 just need a permanent price cut, and ride it out till even PS Experience before talking next gen.
They did it to Sega... hell, they killed Sega by letting them announce Dreamcast at E3... only to say "thats not next gen... Wait till you see the PS2", it deflated alot of hype for Dreamcast... and I bet their going to do the same to MS.

Lets be clear on something...
If MS has the better specs... or Sony has the better specs.

Based on history, talent and ingenuity, Sony will have the better graphics next gen, hands down and will melt our eyeballs with what they show us at the PS5 reveal. Im sure they'll go all out to cement their dominance.

History has shown us, they clearly have better looking games even way back in 2001, the OG Xbox had double the ram, processing power and gpu power and Sony's first party still wiped the floor with the the OG Xbox graphically. All while pushing innovation, Like Gran Turismo 4 being the first 1080p game at 60fps in 2004, while only Forza 5 and later iterations were 1080p and 60fps.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
They aren't silent though, there's alot more to marketing than just making game/hardware announcement, they're still being very aggressive on the marketing front and securing big marketing deals with major third party games.

At a certain point, it seems that is mostly what people care about. Like, I don't understand it given how other technology spaces work, but I've just accepted that folks here want constant communication about the smallest details even if it ultimately means nothing about the end outcome in the larger market.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is completely unrealistic.There is no way Sony can afford to stay quiet for much longer if MS announces next gen machines in June at E3.

The thing is that every single article written about Microsoft's plans will mention Sony in some way or another. Either it'll be a footnote about how a new PlayStation is expected to be announced at some point, or it will be discussed many times in the articles themselves. There's simply no escaping the elephant in the room -- whether Sony announces or not.

Microsoft has talked and talked and talked and talked this generation. We had 18 months of endless Scorpio speculation, years of Power of the Cloud chatter, and their executives are rarely ever not doing interviews. Personally I believe they do this because it's the only way they keep Xbox in the media cycle, but Sony has no such problem.

I personally don't think they need to talk about next-gen just because Microsoft wants to. What they do, however, need to do is get back in the media cycle a bit because they've gone too far the other way lately. It was cool, for example, to hear from Layden the other day.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
The thing is that every single article written about Microsoft's plans will mention Sony in some way or another. Either it'll be a footnote about how a new PlayStation is expected to be announced at some point, or it will be discussed many times in the articles themselves. There's simply no escaping the elephant in the room -- whether Sony announces or not.

Microsoft has talked and talked and talked and talked this generation. We had 18 months of endless Scorpio speculation, years of Power of the Cloud chatter, and their executives are rarely ever not doing interviews. Personally I believe they do this because it's the only way they keep Xbox in the media cycle, but Sony has no such problem.

I personally don't think they need to talk about next-gen just because Microsoft wants to. What they do, however, need to do is get back in the media cycle a bit because they've gone too far the other way lately. It was cool, for example, to hear from Layden the other day.

What do you want them to say to get back in the media cycle?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

MS will force their hand if they announce next gen in June and they won't have much choice after that,whether they like it or not.

Do you expect some changes when Jim Ryan takes over in April?He is marketing guy after all.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

This is also a very salient point. It's all too easy to get caught up in the ResetEra bubble, but obviously PlayStation is absolutely everywhere. FIFA ads are covered in PS branding, they've all the Champions League stuff, and I'm sure they have lots lined up for the rest of the year. I think I read somewhere they spend more on marketing than anyone else.

What do you want them to say to get back in the media cycle?

It's a very fair question! Microsoft are the masters of this, I think -- they literally never shut up without saying anything at all. To be totally truthful, I don't really have an answer for you here, but I did really enjoy the string of interviews Layden did recently. I don't think we'd properly heard from him in months, so I personally enjoyed reading those.

You're right, though, it's all "hardcore bubble" stuff. The wider world doesn't really give a crap what the executives at any of these companies are saying.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

If next gen consoles are only coming end 2020, who cares if MS announces the next Xbox already this year? Sony could still wait for beginning 2020.
This. I don't even think Sony and Microsoft share the same strategy anymore. They'll both do their own thing in their own time. Ultimately, Sony still has several huge exclusive big hitters to come this gen and a massive loyal following, they don't need to be reactive to anything Microsoft is doing right now.
History has shown us, they clearly have better looking games even way back in 2001, the OG Xbox had double the ram, processing power and gpu power and Sony's first party still wiped the floor with the the OG Xbox graphically. All while pushing innovation, Like Gran Turismo 4 being the first 1080p game at 60fps in 2004, while only Forza 5 and later iterations were 1080p and 60fps.
This is some crazy revisionist history. I'm not disputing the graphical wonders of Sony's modern day AAA titles, that's a given, but I'm baffled by your PS2 gen comments.

Firstly, games like Halo CE, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta were truly mind-blowing at the time in comparison to what PS2 was doing. I know, I already had a PS2 and I'll never forget the day I got my OG Xbox and started playing Halo CE - like many others at the time, my jaw dropped. Literally.

Aside from the fact we were getting a full fat 480p in those games instead of PS2's often 480i, the textures, shader effects and draw distances were simply on a whole different level. OG Xbox also had several native 720p titles including Soul Calibur. Finally, GT4 outputted 1080i, not 1080p, and it was basically upscaled by combining two images. It was a gimmick and actually remained better looking in its default 480i.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
MS will force their hand if they announce next gen in June and they won't have much choice after that,whether they like it or not.

I personally don't really agree. I think they have their roadmap internally and they're going to stick to it. They may throw out a bone by putting in a press release that they're "hard at work on the future of PlayStation and will have more to share soon" but I don't think they'll be pressured into changing their plans personally.

Sony hasn't really been reactive to anything for years, so I just don't seem them changing that tactic. They'll have their roadmap and if they're confident in it they'll just keep going.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017

Do you expect some changes when Jim Ryan takes over in April?He is marketing guy after all.
Revealing the console earlier doesn't force Sony's hand. What could stir things up is if MS somehow releases earlier, but that isn't happening.

If MS were to reveal their console in June, the ball would be in Sony's court, and all eyes would be on them for their reveal. They could string it along as long as they want, until June 2020 even. Nobody that's on the fence between getting the next Xbox or PS5 is making their decision in June 2019. They're waiting to hear from both sides.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agreed with everything you said up until the bolded. I think that being on forums like era gives a us a very slanted view. On era, PS is church mouse quiet. In reality XB hasn't introduced a new AAA ip in over 3 years and 8 (almost 9 months.) Yet here, we act as if Sony needs to respond to "What Phil Spencer says"

They don't.

Too often we confuse PR with something other than PR. Even in this PS OT we're often bombarded with the notion that because MS bought some studios Sony MUST react? All Sony needs to do is stay the course. Keep investing in unique experiences that gamers can't get anywhere else except on PS and they'll continue the success they've seen thus far.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Sony is doing what they did in 2012. They don't want you saving up for a PS5 right now. They want you spending your money on the games they have coming out this year.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I personally don't really agree. I think they have their roadmap internally and they're going to stick to it. They may throw out a bone by putting in a press release that they're "hard at work on the future of PlayStation and will have more to share soon" but I don't think they'll be pressured into changing their plans personally.

Sony hasn't really been reactive to anything for years, so I just don't seem them changing that tactic. They'll have their roadmap and if they're confident in it they'll just keep going.

I agree,but world around Sony is changing,and changing fast.Giants like Google will enter gaming market with streaming and probably moneyhatting exclusives,Amazon/Apple maybe also at some point.MS will also announce partnership with Nintendo.

For Sony to "keep quiet and wait 2020" would mean hubris and business malpractice,frankly.Few interviews from Shawn Layden,Dreams and Days Gone are not enough i'm afraid.As a PS owner i want clear roadmap for the future.

Oct 31, 2017
Between February and May of 2012 they released Journey, MLB, Twisted Metal, Starhawk and the Jak & Daxter Collection. This was followed during the second half by Sound Shapes, The Unfinished Swan, Tokyo Jungle, PAS Battle-Royale, LBP Karting, the Ratchet & Clank Collection and a bunch of PS Move games as Wonderbook that covered the same space now used by PSVR. The worst reviewed of all these games on Metacritic is over 70, none of them being a mediocre or terrible work a la Bravo Team last year. Meanwhile, they were supporting PS Vita's release with more than a dozen of original titles, developed or produced by SIE. All of that, coming from the final months of 2011 having Uncharted 3, Resistance 3 and the Team Ico Collection. The same year where they released Infamous 2, LBP 2 and KZ 3, among others.

Now I take some air.

And my answer is: on the contrary, I think they were actively doing all they could to reverse PS3's fortunes and get a good start for PSV. The number of titles they released during that period (and the quality of them, even if they all weren't blockbusters or the sort of runaway hit we've seen this generation) overshadow their efforts at this precise moment. I'll explain myself again: my point is about publishing efforts, for strategic reasons. Not once I've linked developers' efforts to this topic.

In any case, I wouldn't like this conversation to be focused so much on those particular words. My opinion, after all, is that they're going to surprise us after this June, so a "hitch" on the way, as it could be with these few months, is par for the course. It's either that or bad planning, and though half a year with nothing but PSVR games doesn't look that good to me (even having Astro Bot and the Tetris Effect collab as part of it), I don't believe for a second that's the case here. Delaying Days Gone (which you're right about, and I think it was a good call) put a hole in their calendar, but the only thing I'd criticize about that is riding on a whole quarter on a new IP's success. That delay, while on the subject, was to me a sign of how confident they are on their actual position, that same thing being what I meant with that expression: they are in control of the times, waiting for the right moment to share news with the community. Depending on how things go until then, they'll have to adapt those plans and act.

Listing a bunch of games I already know existed doesn't really change anything and really hammers home my point that 2012 was a very weak year for Sony. A yearly franchise, remasters, an indie game they funded (and the fact that it won GOTY that year speaks to how weak of a year it was overall) and a couple smaller games. Number of games doesn't matter; I'm sure Sony could crank out a dozen Vita-sized titles this year if they wanted to, but why would they do that for the PS4 exactly? Those wouldn't be great PS4 games; they'd be bite-sized $30 games which would mean... what?

This board is really obsessed with amount of titles and making game lists without really understanding what the games are, scope of the game, AI in the game, budget of the game, time to make the game, platform the game is on, and a whole list of other things that get ignored. Only on this board could a company dominate a year like 2018 and have someone go, "Look at this list. They're coasting."

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I agree,but world around Sony is changing,and changing fast.Giants like Google will enter gaming market with streaming and probably moneyhatting exclusives,Amazon/Apple maybe also at some point.MS will also announce partnership with Nintendo.

For Sony to "keep quiet and wait 2020" would mean hubris and business malpractice,frankly.Few interviews from Shawn Layden,Dreams and Days Gone are not enough i'm afraid.As a PS owner i want clear roadmap for the future.

But what do you want them to say to alleviate this? What exclusives are Google and Amazon going to moneyhat? We've seen a large death to exclusives throughout most of this generation. So why would those publishing houses stoop back to that practice?

What is the actual fear of streaming you have? Sony has a streaming service today and they are already currently investing in broadening that service to include more games. Maybe more platforms again eventually beyond PlayStation and PC.

I guess, in an uncertain fashion, what I'm trying to say is what is the unknown of "Google, Amazon, and Microsoft" going to offer that would make you less confident that purchasing a PlayStation will net you unique experiences?

The same would go for if you are buying the new Xbox, right? What spectre of the new PlayStation would make you think you're not going to recoup your purchase value from the Xbox platform.

For me, that answer only really matters for Nintendo platforms because they're always dated technologically and you have to know that you're getting some fo the goods before purchasing.

For PlayStation and Xbox, the question is really about why you bought it. If Xbox announces a new console that hits 12K and the PS5 hits just 4K but you couldn't ever play The Last of Us 2 on the Xbox, how much does it matter that an Xbox hits 12K? If Google outright buys Activision-Blizzard and makes every game of theirs exclusive to Chrome Streaming, are you going to not buy a PlayStation because it won't have Call of Duty or Overwatch 2?

Or do you want them to just follow the same strategy and let you play PlayStation products anywhere?

I get the idea of wanting to hear from folks at PlayStation about what the future holds, but I'm not sure why it would be in reaction to other brands since whateve rfuture they promise doesn't exist today.

Caveat: the only thing I will immediately harp on is if Nintendo games appear on Xbox, then all bets are off and I need Sony to gone head and get them talks rolling so I can see Breath of the Wild on my Pro!

Oct 31, 2017

My main point is that number of published indie games doesn't represent a company "trying hard" (especially with how little money it takes to publish an indie versus a bigger game or even VR), versus now when they're allegedly "coasting" (a word that means as little as hipster now, tbh), a complaint being made after they're coming off multiple GOTY contenders in 2018.

Jan 20, 2019

Unless does companys can make AAA titles in a year, that it does not matter what they will do.

Streaming is not gonna take off until 5G comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.