• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
For those who's been disappointed that Japan Studio has been VR-focused in the past 2 years and not showcasing higher end production, looks like the future looks more promising.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, just noticed that last year Sony's annual earnings announcement was April 27th (a Friday). Assuming they follow a similar schedule this year the closest Friday would be April 26th - the release date of Days Gone. Just a coincidence? Anyone think we might get more info on the direction they're headed on that date outside of whatever might be discussed in their conference call?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
A killzone reboot with gunplay controls that of KZ2 but with 60fps low latency precision would be phenomenal. That M82 rifle deserves a multiplayer rematch again!

Oct 30, 2017
Good news would love to see a AAA game from Japan studio .

How about…

… a Bloodborne jrpg…

tenor.gif

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping we get that Dreams release date tomorrow. They said they would have an update for us on the 20th.

I'm rammed at work at the moment. I could set myself a goal of getting on top of at least some of the shit and watching the dreams stream as a reward but then if they announce a release date of '2019' I'll be pissed.

Will probably just catch up on twitch after I get home

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
For those who's been disappointed that Japan Studio has been VR-focused in the past 2 years and not showcasing higher end production, looks like the future looks more promising.

Do we happen to know how many projects Japan Studio normally works on simultaneously? Or how many people they've got? Curious what sort of output they're capable of.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Do we happen to know how many projects Japan Studio normally works on simultaneously? Or how many people they've got? Curious what sort of output they're capable of.

Estimated to be around 400 people working at Japan Studio, but not all are part of the programming and game design side.

Projects that they worked simultaneously in the past:

2012/13:
  1. Knack
  2. Playroom
  3. Puppeteer
  4. Gravity Rush
2016/17/18:
  1. The Last Guardian
  2. Gravity Rush 2
  3. Astrobot Rescue Mission
  4. Knack 2
Estimatedly, I would say that they work on 3+1 projects at the same time, where it's 3 more substantial projects and 1 smaller project.

But if they're aiming for a more ambitious production, I wouldn't be surprised it they're now only working on 2 bigger projects instead of 3.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
A killzone reboot with gunplay controls that of KZ2 but with 60fps low latency precision would be phenomenal. That M82 rifle deserves a multiplayer rematch again!
Oh my... don't do this to me :( People would love to see Killzone die, but for me it's the best FPS ever. There is great potential in the IP and they rushed Shadow Fall for the PS4 launch.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I don't really like Layden's stance on "fewer, bigger games", but hopefully that means Japan Studio will have bigger budgets for their games.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like Layden's stance on "fewer, bigger games", but hopefully that means Japan Studio will have bigger budgets for their games.

I'm torn on it, on one hand it's hard to complain when we're getting games like Horizon, God of War, and Spiderman. But on the other hand there are alot of first party published games that wouldn't be approved by third party publishers.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Problem is that next gen things will be getting serious... Single players are more expensive than ever to produce and at the end of the day if rather have 1 really amazing experience than 3 mediocre ones.

This is exactly the path the industry needs to make, less games and more time In the oven

I think he meant it compared to older gens, game development time have increased for everyone.

Yep and come next gen things will only get harder and harder to deliver

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

I was just thinking about it yesterday. If Shawn just says that they dont aim to expand player's backlog but instead of it launch games that you will want to play asap instead of everything else, I am not sure how anyone could oppose this.

I dont think his words mean that we will get 3 9/10 games instead of 5 8/10 games so we can chill.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Given the current trends, people are really thinking Sony will pour millions into JRPG development?

Maybe if they made another handheld, sure.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my... don't do this to me :( People would love to see Killzone die, but for me it's the best FPS ever. There is great potential in the IP and they rushed Shadow Fall for the PS4 launch.

4 games (not counting portable), none of which was a great seller. Doesn't look like there is a great potential in the IP.

We need that Resistance Collection first!

Only Resistance 3 would be fine.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think he meant it compared to older gens, game development time have increased for everyone.

But SIE are expanding their studios because they want to reduce development time, right? They acknowledged there was a problem and they intend to fix it.

What I'm afraid of is that, with the rising production costs, we're going to see fewer new IPs and more sequels, fewer unique experiences and more "safe" ones.
Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with their output this gen, but I miss their "smaller" games. And without a Vita successor I fear they're not coming back.

Last edited:

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Estimated to be around 400 people working at Japan Studio, but not all are part of the programming and game design side.

Projects that they worked simultaneously in the past:

2012/13:
  1. Knack
  2. Playroom
  3. Puppeteer
  4. Gravity Rush
2016/17/18:
  1. The Last Guardian
  2. Gravity Rush 2
  3. Astrobot Rescue Mission
  4. Knack 2
Estimatedly, I would say that they work on 3+1 projects at the same time, where it's 3 more substantial projects and 1 smaller project.

But if they're aiming for a more ambitious production, I wouldn't be surprised it they're now only working on 2 bigger projects instead of 3.

Looking at this we can get a very clear picture of what we should wait for Japan Studio next :

- Team Asobi ( Playroom VR and Astrobot ) VR Games
- Toyama's Team ( Gravity Rush and Siren ) An adventure game
- One plataformer game since it's seems that studio likes to develop something in the genre ( Puppeteer, Knack and Knack 2 )

And to finish I would add something that is not in your post : one collab.
We have BB with From, The Last Guardian with gen Design ,Shadow of the Colossus with Bluepoint and Everybody Golf with Claphenz. So it's 'safe' to say they also are always involved in some sort of collaborations with external studios.

With that in mind I think it's kinda hard to imagine them working in a JRPG at the same time honestly.

If Sony really thinks they need a 1P JRPG in my opinion they should go after Tabata the same way they went after Kojima. I just have no idea if it would be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.