• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Killzone Shadow Fall a few months ago digitally for $5 but can't get into at all. It just feels so outdated compared to other FPS that I have played this generation. Gorgeous looking game though. With that said, I was hoping that Sony would have kept the Cambridge studio open for a new Killzone game but now, im 100% certain that the second team with the guy from Rainbow Six Siege is developing Killzone 5 which is fine by me. I do hope they evolve it. Wide-linear levels, maybe some melee combat, better stealth, etc. It does need to evolve if it returns, that's for sure.

As for Horizon Zero Dawn, I truly prefer it to stay as a solo single player story driven game. We have a great protagonist in Aloy who simply needs more depth to the character and adding a second player would completely ruin it in my opinion. Playing Far Cry New Dawn now just like Far Cry 5 a year ago and just no. Any kind of character creation and/or silent protagonist just doesn't work as it kills off any potential the story would have.

As a separate online multi-player mode or some kind of separate co-op mode is fine as I could easily ignore both and it wouldn't affect the story and characters. Games that have co-op and/or online multi-player especially in the story campaign just doesn't work from a narrative standpoint because the story ends up being shit every time.

Not to mention the fact that Horizon is an action RPG and to me, after gameplay, the story, narrative and characters need to be top notch otherwise, it's just "another game".

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I'd like a Warhawk 2 for a multiplayer game from Sony it's still their best multiplayer game imo. It was great because it has a really high skill ceiling and is great for competitive play they made Starhawk but that game wasn't it.
Yes 1000 times. I have this itch for a get in a fighter, transform into a mech, and transform back to zip out.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Guerrilla are working on a shooter I really hope it's not "realistic". I'd really love for Sony to throw money behind some big budget shooter with a more animated visual style. I'm not talking about something super cartoony (although I wouldn't be against that either), but something more along what Overwatch has done. Imagine something like that with not only a multiplayer, but a big single player campaign as well. No AAA studios are really doing that right now. And Overwatch is really the only FPS with the style. It's like publishers think gamers will only accept shooters that are realistic in visual presentation. Sony's pushed hard in hat direction twice with Killzone and Resistance, and neither worked out for them in the long run. So I hope they switch it up.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Why is Killzone a damaged brand? Killzone 2 was very well received and a technical marvel upon release. Only dud was Shadowfall which everyone kinda gave a "launch title" pass.

A new 9.5 meta Killzone would do very well.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Shawn Layden acknowledging Sony's dearth of multiplayer oriented games, I think it is safe to say that it is something that they will attempt to remedy in the foreseeable future- and I think Guerrilla would the cardinal choice for such an endeavor. They have the talent, developmental strengths and background for a first or third person battle royale game. However, they'd have to do something to differentiate themselves from other competitors in an increasingly crowded market. I briefly mentioned this in a previous post but I think if they created something that was the lovechild of Killzone, Titanfall, Shattered Horizon, Rainbow 6, Warhawk, and Colony Wars, they'd definitely have a hit on their hands. This is what I'd create if given the opportunity

• Free-to-play, play to win. Can earn in-game currency and xp to unlock cosmetic items, tags and emblems or can pay real money to bypass having to "earn your stripes". Will have randomized boxes that contain items of different rarities with every level that players attain
  • Game is set in space
  • Players start the game catapulting towards a space colony and its surrounding satellites after abandoning their sunken crew transport craft
  • The colony and satellites contain precious resources such as weapons, attachments, ammunition, first aid, vehicles and most importantly oxygen canisters
  • The "ring/bubble" enveloping the play area creates and sustains a safe environment for players. Outside of it, players will take damage and eventually die from solar radiation or asphyxiation. As the fighting continues, the bubble will gradually and rapidly shrink
  • Collected oxygen tanks will automatically be consumed when the presently used oxygen tank is depleted
  • Canisters grant 20, 40 and 60 secs of oxygen to the player's reserves depending on their size. Their size also means they'll accordingly take up a larger amount of pack space relative to their volume.
  • Oxygen stations fully refill players O2 supplies (2 minutes) but can only be used once by an individual player. Players can destroy them to prevent other players from using them but if a player possesses the necessary materials, they can repair them
  • Canisters can be used offensively as well. Players can throw and shoot canisters causing large explosions, which may cause breaches in lateral rooms of poor integrity, and suck out players into the void who aren't equipped with mag-boots
  • Players can conventionally enter the colony through airlocks or create their own entrances using explosives along the periphery of the colony. Breaches can be sealed by players using a tool akin to Prey's GLOO Gun
  • While in a vacuum, players have complete maneuverability in zero-g. Thrusters equipped to their suit enable fast travel along the colony and through the void itself- be aware that thrusters can overheat if overexerted and will require a period of time to cooldown. Players can explore ship wreckage or hide amongst the debris or asteroids for protection from other players or those in spacecraft
  • Spacecraft can only enter the colony through docks and can't be taken into the residential sector. However, other vehicles such as tanks, single seat copters, Mechs, APC's and turret outfitted jeeps pepper the interior battlefield. Vehicles encourage opposing players to assist one another to defeat a common threat that would likely kill them were they to attack it alone. Vehicles possess weak spots in their design that players can exploit to better combat them
  • Each player begins the drop with a pistol, knife, missile rack with 5 missiles (missiles can't automatically target players, this must be done manually) that can home in on vehicles, one medium oxygen canister, and a grappling hook
  • The grappling hook can be used to pull players to denser items, or pull less dense items to players. Grappling an enemy pulls them towards you and grappling an ally pulls you towards them. Grappling hooks can be used to perform advanced feats of traversal and evasion. Grappling Hooks can also tether you to various structures, making for perfect ambush opportunities
  • Your HUD contains a mini-map that shows the player and ally's position, thrust temp, suit integrity (armor), health and oxygen. Weapons have individual ammo counters. A conventional map is accessed via the touchpad and it changes depending on the player's position inside or outside the colony
  • Players can loot other player's packs after they've fallen in battle. However, other players can stealthily perform executions on these unsuspecting players. Executions can only be performed from behind
  • Within the colony, players can perform rocket assisted jumps. Players are also highly agile and can survive falls from extreme heights thanks to the synthetic muscle integrated throughout their exoskeletons. So performing movements like sustained jumps, double jumps, lateral/diagonal dodges, rocket-assisted backsteps, wall running and scaling will be possible
  • In terms of weapons, I'd love a great variety with each weapon class having 2-3 options (excluding specialized weapons) with differing strengths and weaknesses. You'd have traditional automatic rifles, sub-machine guns, light machine guns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, flamethrower, thermite gun, tesla cannon, railgun, grenade launcher, anti-materiel cannon, sticky mine launcher, crossbow (with different craftable ammo types), and various grenade types
  • Regarding classes, I'm in favor of them in team based play only. We'd have an Engineer, Scout, Marksman, Soldier, Demolitions, Saboteur, Hacker and a Pilot. However, in solo, players drop in with a generic character that they can customize with various items that alters their aesthetic and even change their appearance…a lite character creator if you will
  • Lastly, considering that the colony is an artificial environment, different biomes will sensibly be present within the single map. This also means that weather conditions can change between or during a match unpredictably. Maybe during one match there's an abundance of sun, snow in another, or lightning storms and heavy rain in another. It creates variety and gives a sense of randomness to the map and extends its freshness
  • Oh, one more thing! Since we love one word, or shortened titles so much, I'd aptly name the game Breach. However I do like the title Orbital Decay as well

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this many times before but if not an exclusive collab, Sony should go for 4A games. They need someone for first person games, the detail they put into the Metro series is like what you expect from a Sony game, and they've shown they are masters of their craft. Give them the reigns of kz or resistance or better yet let them come up with their own

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is Killzone a damaged brand? Killzone 2 was very well received and a technical marvel upon release. Only dud was Shadowfall which everyone kinda gave a "launch title" pass.

Killzone is from an era when people had no respect for Sony's exclusive. It's a damaged brand.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading through all this SOCOM talk with false hope in my heart and this playing in my head:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, Id say let ND make a multiplayer game. With Crash, Uncharted and The last of us. It's time for a megatonic multiplayer focuses game from them. A battle Royale.
NAughty Dog has made a huge IP every gen. A next gen battle Royale game from them with high quality animations and acting would be the next big Sony game.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
gzy8HsH.png

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what Shawn Layden is setting as a criteria, Battle Royale doesnt make sense to me. And i honestly hope that's not what they come with. They can let the third party monsters have that, but i'd love for them to fill in the gaps with a tactical shooter. I'd be over the moon if its SOCOM. But my guess is a revamped Killzone with a much more intimate tactical experience closer to Rainbow Six. Which i would love to try if there's no SOCOM coming.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From what Shawn Layden is setting as a criteria, Battle Royale doesnt make sense to me. And i honestly hope that's not what they come with. They can let the third party monsters have that, but i'd love for them to fill in the gaps with a tactical shooter. I'd be over the moon if its SOCOM. But my guess is a revamped Killzone with a much more intimate tactical experience closer to Rainbow Six. Which i would love to try if there's no SOCOM coming.
F2p BR with quality seem to all become huge cultural phenomenon Sony needs to try atleast once. They need a mega franchise with multiplayer.

Just have naughty dog make one where uncharted, last of us, Jak and new characters for the new BR IP battle it out with mechanics from uncharted and last of multiplayer combined.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
F2p BR with quality seem to all become huge cultural phenomenon Sony needs to try atleast once. They need a mega franchise with multiplayer.

Just have naughty dog make one where uncharted, last of us, Jak and new characters for the new BR IP battle it out with mechanics from uncharted and last of multiplayer combined.

My problem with that, is i think that's where Sony's first party multiplayer offerings went wrong to begin with. For example, they chased the COD and BF crowd with SOCOM and effectively transformed a great tactical shooter into a generic MP shooter that really didn't have anything to offer that COD or BF didn't already do better.

I'd rather they not take that same approach chasing the BR crowd. But that's just my personal preference atleast.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The absolute best time, in my opinion, for Sony to release a "service" type multiplayer game is free-to-play alongside the launch of the PS5. I honestly believe they'd be pissing into the wind on PS4 with so many dedicated communities already out there, but if they can get out something really cool at launch of PS5 and then iterate on it throughout the gen, that's when the iron is hot.

But that's just my opinion.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they should go all in with at least one AAA (preferably a F2P) multiplayer shooter from a good, experienced team. No more half assed efforts like Drawn to Death or Killstrain.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The absolute best time, in my opinion, for Sony to release a "service" type multiplayer game is free-to-play alongside the launch of the PS5. I honestly believe they'd be pissing into the wind on PS4 with so many dedicated communities already out there, but if they can get out something really cool at launch of PS5 and then iterate on it throughout the gen, that's when the iron is hot.

But that's just my opinion.
Yup. Agree 100%. I'm thinking Arrowhead should release whatever game they're on for PS5 launch. Spiritual successor to helldivers or something would be rad.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just a feeling but based on Shawn Laydens comment on multiplayer I imagine we're either going to see more than 1 title that's MP focused or more titles with MP components.

Also, just tossing this out there but anyone think it may be remotely possible we'd see an exclusive MP title for Sony from Bungie? I'm sure Bungie will want to keep doing Destiny so I doubt that'd be exclusive, but Bungie is also a relatively massive studio, could they possibly split into another team to make another title?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even a twisted metal battle Royale would work. Just make sure the mp works at launch. You could miniaturize the vehicles. Like a BR and rocket league combined.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just a feeling but based on Shawn Laydens comment on multiplayer I imagine we're either going to see more than 1 title that's MP focused or more titles with MP components.

Also, just tossing this out there but anyone think it may be remotely possible we'd see an exclusive MP title for Sony from Bungie? I'm sure Bungie will want to keep doing Destiny so I doubt that'd be exclusive, but Bungie is also a relatively massive studio, could they possibly split into another team to make another title?

Bungie isn't going to abandon 10+ million of their fans by making an exclusive deal with a platform holder.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

I guess we'll need to start from the beginning. From what I recall, the original Killzone was revealed through OPM in which they had a next issue tease that referred to it as the PS2's "HALO Killer". This obvously wasn't the fault of Guerrilla, but it nontheless set absolutely insane expectations for it. I can't find any lifetime sales for it, but it was released in November 2004 and didn't make it into the Top 10 best sellers that month. Which meant it sold below 178k. We then move onto Killzone 2. It's obviously the most infamous of the series because of that E3 trailer. Again, not Guerrilla's fault, but still something that people think about when they think of the series. And obviously not in a positive way. But unlike the original it was actually a really good game and sits at a 91 Metacritic. And it sold quite well too, opening at 323k in the US during its opening month. KZ3 is the least controversial. It sits at an 84 on Metacritic. And it opened at 279k. Then we finally have Shadow Fall. 74 Metacritic and it'd sold 2.1m by the last time they updated its sales (January 2014).

So I think when you step back you have a series that has a number of unfortunate situations attached to it. Whether it be the "HALO killer moment" or the CG trailer. Then you have that the quality of the series tends to be all over the place. And finally it's a series that has never really lit the world on fire in terms of sales. They've never really been able to get the series to stick on any front in terms of sales or quality. Some have brought up God of War, but that's a series that always got high scores and sold extremely well. The wall that they'd hit is that they'd made four games (six if you include the PSP entries) that all played rather similarly. Then you had the angry Kratos issue. So they knew the two areas they had to hit and change to really reinvent the franchise in a way that'd still appeal to old fans, bring back fans that'd lost interest for the reasons I mentioned while also appealing to people that'd never found the series appealing in the first place. With KZ, you have additional hurdles in the sense that it's a series that has struggled in terms of sales and isn't anywhere near as consistent as GoW in terms of quality. Like with this GoW, there was never really a doubt with its quality because of the franchises past. That's why I think there are just too many hurdles for sticking with KZ. When going with a new IP gives you clean slate where you aren't having to fix things.

Status
Not open for further replies.