• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
These PS5 graphics of Aloy looks great

I'm really looking forward to whatever Guerrilla will put out on PS5. Curious about what kind of synergy there is between them and Kojima's team regarding the improvements made to the Decima engine. We already know it's capable in open world games, but I wonder what improvements we will see regarding animation, post-processing, and maybe non-character based gameplay (cars for example).

Feb 26, 2018
After todays direct I have a thought about how Sony droped the ball with exclusive partnerships on Japanese AA games.
I understand they are still getting lots of defacto console exclusives like Yakuza and stuff but still. That wont last long (in the business sense Sony can loose some japanese hame fans to other platforms if they don't fund their own exclusives)It's not like it will probably cost a lot of money to fund couple AA.
Man I just want to play games like this on more powerful hardware. Switch performance on some games literaly hurts me.

Edit: added some context

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After todays direct I have a thought about how Sony droped the ball with exclusive partnerships on Japanese AA games.
I understand they are still getting lots of defacto console exclusives like Yakuza and stuff but still. That wont last long. It's not like it will probably cost a lot of money to fund couple AA.
Man I just want to play games like this on more powerful hardware. Switch performance on some games literaly hurts me.

Even if they don't exclusively get more Japanese games, they'll still get them along with others, it's no biggie.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
why do i care if a japanese game gets ported to another system? I'm glad DQXI is getting ported, we want that game to sell as many copies as possible so we keep getting more in the future, on console with high production values.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sony Bend really made a fantastic looking game I think they way up there with Sony best in that area.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
Right, as long as Japanese devs continue to release their games on PS console, I couldn't care less about exclusivity.
why do i care if a japanese game gets ported to another system? I'm glad DQXI is getting ported, we want that game to sell as many copies as possible so we keep getting more in the future, on console with high production values.
Same for me about the exclusivity, as long as the devs are still able to release on PS.

Where in my post did I say that i'm not happy with them porting games on other platforms? I'm always positive on more people playing this types of games
I'm talking about Sony funding more AA Japanese games. Games that wont exist without that money from Sony.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Well I personally don't care but it will lead us to fall into the same situation we did with PS4 where all the games were clearly designed for a weaker system. It wasn't until just recently that games ditched their Vita/PS3 engines.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
With the Switch and portable gaming popularity in Japan, Sony will only have exclusive Japanese games again if they're produced or financed by Sony itself. And with the results from it's western games, I do not see Sony investing much in Japan in the near future. Death Stranding can change that, but it is very western game too, despite being developed by a Japanese company.

Oct 25, 2017
Where in my post did I say that i'm not happy with them porting games on other platforms? I'm always positive on more people playing this types of games
I'm talking about Sony funding more AA Japanese games. Games that wont exist without that money from Sony.
Where you said those console exclusives won't last long. They would still be coming to PS though.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
With the Switch and portable gaming popularity in Japan, Sony will only have exclusive Japanese games again if they're produced or financed by Sony itself. And with the results from it's western games, I do not see Sony investing much in Japan in the near future. Death Stranding can change that, but it is very western game too, despite being developed by a Japanese company.
Sure but it's the same situation with Switch. They aren't getting exclusives from Japan unless Nintendo works with them. Which is fine. The games curated by Sony would be better than just random niche exclusives.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, If the community makes enough noise Sony will make it happen. I feel like they've proven that in the past with stuff like Crash, CTR, and Spyro.
What that got to do with them? I'll totally give em credit for the trilogy
That said the community for rpg especially for a franchise that was on vita ain't gonna be loud enough. Somewhere somehow somebody in Sony still doubts demon souls selling otherwise that would've got made already y'all and the gaming community been plenty loud about that. So a vita jrpg especially after nobody bought teraway and gravity rush...I don't see it

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sony problem is that they've set up expectation for high fidelity graphics for their games that cost a lot of money and time to make, meanwhile Nintendo are still operating under last gen level budget and still able to sell their games in full price.

In term of money spent on developing games, Sony probably still outspend Nintendo, its just that their games cost a lot of money to be madee. Recent interview with Layden about having less but bigger games are not helping at all.

i really wish Sony might experiment to make ps3 fidelity games, funnel some of the development budget to marketing budget instead or something.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony problem is that they've set up expectation for high fidelity graphics for their games that cost a lot of money and time to make, meanwhile Nintendo are still operating under last gen level budget and still able to sell their games in full price.

In term of money spent on developing games, Sony probably still outspend Nintendo, its just that their games cost a lot of money to be madee. Recent interview with Layden about having less but bigger games are not helping at all.

i really wish Sony might experiment to make ps3 fidelity games, funnel some of the development budget to marketing budget instead or something.

I'm going to guess as time goes on the involvement of AI in development will help reduce the cost and time to make games a fair bit. The Ubisoft talk from DICE touched on how they're implementing AI now, and it should only get better as time goes on.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Sony would be eaten alive by players and the press if they did that while Microsoft continues to make the best looking games they can. You just shouldn't compare Sony to Nintendo, although both are indeed in the console business they do very different things, something which sales of the PS4 and Switch show (Switch sales are incredibly yet have had 0 impact on the PS4's sales).

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
What that got to do with them? I'll totally give em credit for the trilogy
That said the community for rpg especially for a franchise that was on vita ain't gonna be loud enough. Somewhere somehow somebody in Sony still doubts demon souls selling otherwise that would've got made already y'all and the gaming community been plenty loud about that. So a vita jrpg especially after nobody bought teraway and gravity rush...I don't see it
I guess that's true too, they don't seem as inclined to remake/reboot classic JRPGs. I'm just saying that they've shown some interest in bringing back classics, I don't think we would have seen Crash, Spyro, Shenmue, FF7, etc if it weren't for the community demanding it. Idk how big the outcry for DS is outside of Era honestly too.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Crash has genuine popularity. If anyone did a metrics analysis of Crash's continued relevance in search and interest metrics in the past 3 years before it was announced, it's up there with some existing game IPs and it only blew up further.

A ton of Sony's Japanese IPs are super super niche. Like, the metrics are so bad that it'd make more sense to just make a new IP.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand they are still getting lots of defacto console exclusives like Yakuza and stuff but still. That wont last long (in the business sense Sony can loose some japanese hame fans to other platforms if they don't fund their own exclusives)It's not like it will probably cost a lot of money to fund couple AA.

Edit: added some context

What games are they losing? They literally get every flagship japanese title.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Most Japanese games don't sell well anymore. What was the last big IP to come out of JPN that was exclusive to Xbox or Playstation? Japanese heavy hitters like FF, Kingdom Hears or Resident evil aside, the games just don't sell well anymore. They are better being multiplatform or being Switch exclusive (partnering with Nintendo)

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Yeah they stopped funding cool shit like that circa 2015.

He actually said this? Talk about making a rod for your own back.
Dude... this crap is being taken way out of context. He was talking about games not only taking longer to make these days as opposed to PS1 where you could churn out a great game every year from a small team as well as taking the time to make sure they're good and not rushing them unfinished like they have in the past.

As far as having less but bigger games goes it's been that way for years. Naughty Dog could make a Crash game a year back in the day but that just isn't possible now.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Days Gone is the only game Sonya has in the pipeline this year? Imagine if third parties didn't take up the reigns this year, ooof.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So Days Gone is the only game Sonya has in the pipeline this year? Imagine if third parties didn't take up the reigns this year, ooof.

Prior to today, Nintendo's 2H lineup was dry, but with a single direct it's super robust.

When it comes to the big Sony games, a lot of them are still TBA. We should know within a few months if they're coming this year - or they're 2020+ games.

Oct 25, 2017
Mlb
Days gone
Dreams
Concrete genie
Erica
Medievil
Blood and truth

I know it's all cinematics big AAA they got a lot of fans accustomed to but give the lil guys their time you might be surprised

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018

Isn't bigger games working out really well for them though? I mean God of war and Spiderman are breaking sales records and Uncharted and Horizon are doing really well too.

And wasn't there news that PSN alone generates more income then Xbox and Nintendo?

Plus it's not like Sony doesn't have lower budget games, there's Astrobot, Everybody's Golf, the upcoming Concrete Genie, etc.

Jan 3, 2019
As far as having less but bigger games goes it's been that way for years. Naughty Dog could make a Crash game a year back in the day but that just isn't possible now.
Well maybe make less games where you need 30 people just to animate the main character's chest hair just right.

PS: They did release a full-scale Uncharted game one year after 4, that was pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.