• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
ND is free to do first person if they want. I won't buy it, but I wish them well. ...But man, if they do a sci fi game and waste it on FPP I'll be sad.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I feel like the general opinion around here is for Sony to expand their existing studios rather than create new ones. I completely agree with that, create a second team within ND, SMS, GG and SP to increase productivity and how quickly these studios can put out a game. Instead of ND releasing a game every 4-5 years, it could be every 2 the way it was when they did have two teams simultaneously developing games. Does anyone disagree with this?
I don't know if it's possible. Sony tried to do it with Naughty Dog, but it didn't work. How many studios can make two AAA at the same time?

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
As long as Naughty Dog's next game isn't a cinematic third-person action adventure, I'll play anything they make.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I love Naughty Dog's third-person action adventure games. But honestly, I'm kind of ready for something new from them as well. I say let them make whatever they want.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I think Sony will greenlight almost any project ND wants to do at this point.
Well, maybe not Knack 3 though....

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Uncharted 1 release 2007
Uncharted 2 release 2009
Uncharted 3 release 2011
The Last of Us release 2013
Uncharted 4 release 2016
1-4 was when they had 2 teams. the UC2 team made TLOU, the UC3 team made UC4 or at least started off that way. So if u do the math it was 4-5 yrs of development time. Now that they only have one team it's likely to be 4 yrs or so till we get TLOU2. Unless of course we get it in 2019, which I have my fingers crossed for.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
im

when did ND go 4-5 between games?

I didn't say they did that in the past. I'm saying now that they have only 1 team it's possible. They had pretty much been a 2 team studio from UC1 until the fallout with Hennig during UC4. Now I will say that they churned out TLL in 1 year but they also didn't start from scratch with that game. Just going off how long it took each team to put out their next title (UC2-TLOU) I'd say those time frames are more accurate of how long we'll be waiting for a games from ND unless they go bk to a 2 team studio. Once again not whining, just stating how I think it'd be awesome.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Torn between a Medieval/Fantasy and Sci-Fi setting for what I want in ND's new IP.

Now that Mass Effect is basically dead, I would love for ND to fill that void. Fantasy would be cool too, but I feel like there are enough heavy hitters in that space to satiate people.

I do wonder though, if Disney reaches out to Sony and ask if ND would be interested in doing a single-player canon Star Wars game, should ND say yes? or is it better for ND to continue to work on original IPs?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Now that Mass Effect is basically dead, I would love for ND to fill that void. Fantasy would be cool too, but I feel like there are enough heavy hitters in that space to satiate people.

I do wonder though, if Disney reaches out to Sony and ask if ND would be interested in doing a single-player canon Star Wars game, should ND say yes? or is it better for ND to continue to work on original IPs?
If Disney thinks EA is doing a good job with Star Wars, I dunno what they're gonna do when that deal runs out. Maybe Disney will give Sony more liberties with Marvel which would be awesome, though I'm not sure how intelligent Disney is with Star Wars.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Oh boy if there is one thing that wouldn't like to see because of Spider Man success is Disney/Marvel throwing their IPs at Sony.
Putting any of Sony top tier studios to become Star Wars or any of their IPs factory would be such a bummer :(
If it's Sony as publisher and 3P studio working on it, like it happened to Spider Man, I'm ok but 1P studios ? Please no !
I'm already worried about Ratchet future even tho I loved Spider Man :(

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Oh boy if there is one thing that wouldn't like to see because of Spider Man success is Disney/Marvel throwing their IPs at Sony.
Putting any of Sony top tier studios to become Star Wars or any of their IPs factory would be such a bummer :(
If it's Sony as publisher and 3P studio working on it, like it happened to Spider Man, I'm ok but 1P studios ? Please no !
Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises in the world, (I personally do not care for it, but that is irrelevant) if sony acquire the Star Wars licence, you can be sure they will give them to a first party studio if they have to.
The name alone sells millions.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Well, I don't entirely agree. Spider-Man is the only superhero I'm interested in, so I don't want to see more Marvel IPs from Sony, especially not when their WWS are working on them.

But a Star Wars game by ND? Imagine the set pieces. I would love to see that. And it would easly sell 20+ million copies. It would be great for both, Disney and Sony. But sadly EA has the exclusive deal for this license.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If Disney thinks EA is doing a good job with Star Wars, I dunno what they're gonna do when that deal runs out. Maybe Disney will give Sony more liberties with Marvel which would be awesome, though I'm not sure how intelligent Disney is with Star Wars.

I'm not going to take Disney's statement about EA too seriously. It's just PR speak imo. The deal is still ongoing at the moment. Disney is not going to just publicly throw EA under the bus.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
Am I the only one who prefers for devs to work on their own original IPs? I liked Spider-man but thinking that Insomniac will almost entirely focus on it makes me almost wish that the deal was never made.

If I had a choice I'd prefer a new Resistance over Spider-Man or a new IP from ND over them making SW games.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

The only way id be ok with that is if ND was allowed to basically create their own story inside the Star Wars universe. Even then I'd rather they just create their own space odyssey.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Disney doesn't renew the EA deal for Star Wars, then im hoping that it's Sony or Ubisoft who gets to use the license as they're the only two publishers I have confidence in when it comes to a licensed property. If Sony was to get the license, I would build a new studio from the ground up, bring back Amy Hennig and/or hire Jade Raymond and have them go all out with a linear action packed Star Wars game. Then go open world for the second game.

Or even better and if possible, hire all of those who were at Lucas Arts and resurrect Star Wars 1313. Either way, far better than what we've gotten thus far and would sell a shit ton.

This is bad. Now im all hyped up. :(

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who prefers for devs to work on their own original IPs? I liked Spider-man but thinking that Insomniac will almost entirely focus on it makes me almost wish that the deal was never made.

If I had a choice I'd prefer a new Resistance over Spider-Man or a new IP from ND over them making SW games.

Depends on if the licensed game is great or not. Insomniac's Spider Man game is great and makes me invested where as prior, didn't give two shits. Knowing that it's Sony behind the projects would give me confidence that it's going to be great so yeah, in this case, would much rather have a great license property game than a new IP that may end up not being great.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Like FUSE? That didn't work out too well.

That said, I'd take more Resistance or Ratchet over Spider-Man any day of the week.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
tenor.gif

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Naughty Dog Schmauty Dog, the new top dog is gonna be Kojima when Death Stranding drops.

I'm seeing too much excitement over early impressions. Sometimes you can chalk it up to flattery but it's not leaning towards that way. And knowing Kojima, it's a gameplay break-through and that raises it a bit above ND's output.

Still it would be cool if Kojima gets help with the story. He has fascinating plots but we don't need a 30 minute non-playable dialog anymore lol

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog Schmauty Dog, the new top dog is gonna be Kojima when Death Stranding drops.

I'm seeing too much excitement over early impressions. Sometimes you can chalk it up to flattery but it's not leaning towards that way. And knowing Kojima, it's a gameplay break-through and that raises it a bit above ND's output.

Still it would be cool if Kojima gets help with the story. He has fascinating plots but we don't need a 30 minute non-playable dialog anymore lol
All of this.

I think Death Stranding has the potential to be a pivotal and groundbreaking moment in gaming with what kind of "genre defining gameplay experience" it aims to offer. We've known for years now, how Kojima intends to turn things like the death mechanic on its head and offer something brand new, and just recently we've heard from those who have seen it, quite a bit praise about what it's attempting to be haven't we?

"It's a real brave game"
-Norman Reedus

"I've never seen anything like this"
- Joe Penna

"How does this miracle exist?"
- Jordan Vogt-Roberts

That's not mentioning the praise showered from all the folks at Guerrilla Games who saw the first 2 hours. People want innovation, but when it arrives it's odd that what we see is so much push back and detraction of new ideas. I think it will check all boxes that this break-through moment requires.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
All of this.

I think Death Stranding has the potential to be a pivotal and groundbreaking moment in gaming with what kind of "genre defining gameplay experience" it aims to offer. We've known for years now, how Kojima intends to turn things like the death mechanic on its head and offer something brand new, and just recently we've heard from those who have seen it, quite a bit praise about what it's attempting to be haven't we?

"It's a real brave game"
-Norman Reedus

- Joe Penna

- Jordan Vogt-Roberts

That's not mentioning the praise showered from all the folks at Guerrilla Games who saw the first 2 hours. People want innovation, but when it arrives it's odd that what we see is so much push back and detraction of new ideas. I think it will check all boxes that this break-through moment requires.
I hope so,I wish the best for Kojima,but what these guys know about games?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
All of this.

"It's a real brave game"
-Norman Reedus

- Joe Penna

- Jordan Vogt-Roberts

I'm with ya man...Kojima about to prove that he's that rare Nintendo quality creative director with this beauty.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as Naughty Dog's next game isn't a cinematic third-person action adventure, I'll play anything they make.

So just drop the think they're best at and do arguably better than every other dev in the world? No thanks. Give me Savage Starlight as a third person cinematic action adventure game, please. We need ND's set-piece, narrative and writing quality, plus overall cinematic touch, with alien, inter-stellar, no holds barred, fantastical and imaginative worlds and characters.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
With all the ND talk today, they're also going to be celebrating a big anniversary this year (in September). Their studio will turn 35. They started out as JAM before Jason and Andy changed the name to Naughty Dog five years after the company was established.

Status
Not open for further replies.