• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That FF7 exclusivity is probably going to be expired by the time the game comes out. It was also made at a time when SE wasn't putting their japanese games on Xbox, they've shifted strategies since then.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
That blows 2014 and 2015 out of the water.

2015? Not so sure about that. Dreams will be amazing and i can't wait for MediEvil. But 2015 was stronger in my opinion. I mean ... Bloodborne.

Bloodborne, Helldivers, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded, Uncharted collection and a bunch of other stuff came out in 2015. But yeah, 2014 was super weak.

Though, i'm pretty sure they are trying to get at least on of the big 3 ready for the end of the year.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Played maybe 8 hours and made it up to the sewers which I think is pretty early in the game. The setup of the game isn't for me. And personally, from what I played between Bloodborne and Nioh (which im getting again on Thursday), I believe that Nioh has better gameplay and combat. I will be giving Sekiro a shot since it's not really a SoulsBorne game.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
What makes a year like 2014 better for you?

I think Infamous was it for me that year and it was underwhelming.

I do not think 2014 could be better. If this year really has "only" Days Gone, Dreams, MediEvil, Concrete Genie and Blood & Truth released this year, my list would be:

Of course, Days Gone, Dreams and Concrete Genie may be GOTY contenders and my list would have to be reviewed. But right now, I think that would be it. If any of the three games is released this year, 2019 jumps to third or fourth place.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
it was announced after both FFXV and KH3 moved to XB1 lmao.

SE announced those games before the consoles launched, once they saw how Type-0 and some of their other games performed on Xbox they stopped porting their japanese games to Xbox for a while.

Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Builders 2, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIV, Zodiac Age, FF7 , FF9, FFX HD, Nier Automata, Star Ocean 5, all those games initially skipped Xbox One, several have been ported now.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
SE announced those games before the consoles launched, once they saw how Type-0 and some of their other games performed on Xbox they stopped porting their japanese games to Xbox for a while.

Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Builders 2, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIV, Zodiac Age, FF7 , FF9, FFX HD, Nier Automata, Star Ocean 5, all those games initially skipped Xbox One, several have been ported now.
A bunch of old games after several years. With how well Switch is doing I could see a downgraded version come to that before Xbox if it ever does go to Xbox.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
That FF7 exclusivity is probably going to be expired by the time the game comes out. It was also made at a time when SE wasn't putting their japanese games on Xbox, they've shifted strategies since then.

Babylon's Fall announcement last year at E3 was only for PS4 and PC and Dragon Quest XI is still not announced for the Xbox.

I would not be to sure with an simultaneously launch.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

ok but why would ports that started out as exclusives mean the agreement with a new game expired? especially when said game has not been released? not to mention they just announced another ps4 exclusive at e3 lmao

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So how likely do y'all think it is that Disney will toss another major IP at Sony to develop another title? Spiderman probably exceeded their expectations. Or maybe give Sony and the studio Sony chooses the chance to pick an IP like Insomniac did.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So how likely do y'all think it is that Disney will toss another major IP at Sony to develop another title? Spiderman probably exceeded their expectations. Or maybe give Sony and the studio Sony chooses the chance to pick an IP like Insomniac did.

Unlikely imo with information we have right now
From what we know, all major Sony first party are busy.
Unless Sony creates another studio, I don't see Sony picking up another Marvel IP

And except Insomniac, I don't see which independent studio (which work closely with Sony) can handle and make a AAA game with a Marvel IP

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
At the time i think Marvel only planned on partnering with Sony on Spiderman, but after how successful it was i wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to work with them on another IP as well.

Jan 20, 2019

It had to be a big ip, like Star Wars.
Sony whould open a studio with 500 peopel just to get that title.
I dont see them working on another marvel ip.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Unlikely imo with information we have right now
From what we know, all major Sony first party are busy.
Unless Sony creates another studio, I don't see Sony picking up another Marvel IP

And except Insomniac, I don't see which independent studio (which work closely with Sony) can handle and make a AAA game with a Marvel IP

Bend and MM are about to be not busy. GG and SSM are expanding into two teams each. With that said, that''s not to say Sony can't just halt one of their projects if they get a great offer from Marvel. Black Tusk was working on an original IP when MS bought Gears back. Their project got scrapped and now they're a Gears studio full time. Though I admit, I'm not sure what IP Marvel could offer that would be really enticing. Black Panther or Captain Marvel maybe?

Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That FF7 exclusivity is probably going to be expired by the time the game comes out.

Exclusivity durations are typically measured from the time of release, not the time of announcement. In any case, SE have made a pretty good business of ignoring Xbox One for release and waiting for Phil Spencer to be embarrassed enough to show up with another check.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Not quite the thread for it, but I wanted to share that I'm midway through Gravity Rush 2 (got Lunar Style) and it's such a joy to play. Graphics are beautiful, controls are great and Kat is just so damn charming.

I also played GRR about 2 months ago, and wasn't that impressed. Something always felt "off" and clunky to me for some reason. I'm unsure what is it about GR2 that doesn't give me this feeling.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've been thinking about Dreams and I came to the conclusion that Sony should release it in two versions. Free to play "Creator Mode" - where you can create and play creations of other players, and normal version (30-40€) which also includes Story mode by MM.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've been thinking about Dreams and I came to the conclusion that Sony should release it in two versions. Free to play "Creator Mode" - where you can create and play creations of other players, and normal version (30-40€) which includes Story mode by MM.
Nope you are crazy dude lol.They have absolutely no reason to do something like that it will actually hurt the game quite a bit as well.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
So, I've been thinking about Dreams and I came to the conclusion that Sony should release it in two versions. Free to play "Creator Mode" - where you can create and play creations of other players, and normal version (30-40€) which also includes Story mode by MM.
The campaign made by MM is 3 hours, not sure how many people would pay €30 for that, no matter how good it is. Also for what they offer in the create tool, €60 is a bargain honestly.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
They keep on hiring. How big are they now? Do they even have enough room for all these developers?

All major developers are actively hiring now, a lot of developers move from studios to studios, this is normal in the game industry.
Once you finish a 3-4 year project you leave the studio and go to another studio and work there.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
The campaign made by MM is 3 hours, not sure how many people would pay €30 for that, no matter how good it is.

Hmm, yeah probably. This version could also include some sort of "season pass" that would give players new creations made by MM.

How won't it sell well?, please do tell.

Just a hunch ;) And, If i remember correctly, Benji said something that interest for the game is rather low.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
nobody, and i mean NOBODY, buys the game for the campaign.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The metrics and interest from Dreams has been extremely low from day one and that is not something that making it F2P will solve. Games with no audience traction will not gain it even if the product is free.

If anything, because it's so low - what you do is sell it to the community that is willing to pay for it ( the creators ), and basically hope or build a tool within Dreams that will empower creators to create something that is appealing to the audiences.

What has the potential to sell Dreams to the mass audience isn't Dreams itself, but rather an interesting game that is made within Dreams.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, yeah probably. This version could also include some sort of "season pass" that would give players new creations made by MM.

Just a hunch ;) And, If i remember correctly, Benji said something that interest for the game is rather low.

Interest is rather low because marketing or word of mouth hasn't even begun yet. Just look at how much better people have taken notice just by them lifting NDA alone.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the thing is, dreams actually has a lot of potential to explode.
around a day after someone leaked the PT ripoff footage from dreams, that video got over 270k views on twitter.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah if Dreams does become big it won't be right out the gate. Hopefully Sony gives MM support to keep working on the game even if initial sales are underwhelming. The game does seem like a sure fire critical hit so we can hope that'll give interest a boost.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why Kojima is being brought up when his deal with Sony was made long before Detroit released.

And I'd say Kojima is one of the last people on Sony's roster who has to worry about money.
Seriously. What a bizarre tangent. KojiPro's been signed with Sony for years, they're already accounted for in WWS' budget. But even if they weren't, there's no comparison. Kojima's A tier, Quantic Dream is B or C tier.

anyway, plus games reveal are today right? do we know when?
It's usually in the next few hours, isn't it?

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
All this acquisition talk is senseless IMHO. Acquiring a studio is not something easy, it needs planning and resources.

Why would Sony take the risk to acquire a new studio? Because MS is doing that? I've only seen smoke and mirrors from MS. Let's wait a few years and let's see if all these bargain bin acquisitions went well. It could all be counterproductive for MS.

I like where Sony is going with opening new studios/ expanding existing ones. I'm sure we'll see even greater things from Santa Monica,ND,Guerilla ecc. If they'll really need to buy a studio then I imagine Insomniac and Kojipro would be perfect fits, but this will only happen when and if Sony will need it.
True.

I hope this is one of the newer studios. Seems to be under NDA as he can't announce it until in the future.
https://twitter.com/MachidaMatsuzo/status/1076128967663411203?s=19

https://twitter.com/MachidaMatsuzo/status/1085161864005185536?s=19

Curious fan asking when he will announce it. He just liked the tweet and didn't reply.
https://twitter.com/Shimonotaku/status/1088583130246774785?s=19

One of the criticsm from last gen and this gen has been the lack of first party RPG developers. Sony is interested in seniors and these developers once were rookies in the PS2 era.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I just do not think that the game will sell well. And for a game that will be about other players creations, it will need as much players as it can get.

I find this fascinating a thought as I agree but folks flip out if you think of Sony doing anything beyond selling game copies at retail pricing.

There needs to be a way to ensure players can experience Dreams with no huge upfront obligation so they can just get a taste to draw them in to the creation tools since thus far it looks really weak on most metrics.

They do need to start marketing it full out with streams at the very least beyond a monthlong beta and some outlet impressions. Playing it on Twitch/YouTube and doing cool things in a regular weekly show would be my marketing approach. Kids love watching that kind of stuff. So they do have time to increase social presence. Still I wonder about it.

PlayStation also needs something that could leverage the existing user group with marketing when it does launch, but also wouldnt require an entire outside marketing campaign for it to convince people to try it and stay engaged with it.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
True.

I hope this is one of the newer studios. Seems to be under NDA as he can't announce it until in the future.

Curious fan asking when he will announce it. He just liked the tweet and didn't reply.

One of the criticsm from last gen and this gen has been the lack of first party RPG developers. Sony is interested in seniors and these developers once were rookies in the PS2 era.
Didn't know about this new studio. You think it will be a Sony first party?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
True.

why do you think its first party specifically? could be just a third party studio.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking Dreams monetization, it would make sense for Sony to offer part of the experience as a PS+ thing like Driveclub at the beginning of the Gen. Would help kick off the game.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
why do you think its first party specifically? could be just a third party studio.

i don't why people think this studio it will be first party
like you said it could third party its could for Nintendo or Microsoft who know
but there is no hint that the studio is for Sony
if it's we should have some hints from linkedin this how we discover the new san diego studio i think
sony if they want jrpg studio they have the new hajime tabata studio and cyberconnect2 there is not a lot of independent studio that can make jrpg in japan i think or maybe i am wrong

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
True.

Don't play with my feelings...

Status
Not open for further replies.