• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the money Sony saved by consolidating studios this gen can be used to fund more 3rd party full exclusives next gen.

They've been expanding their current studios though. The output will be increased next gen, they just discovered the formula this gen.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uJk01CI.gif

Exactly. I'm so tired of reading about who should buy who. It's basically turned into fanboy fan fiction in the Microsoft thread (not everyone there is like that of course) and it's been like that for months.

"MS is gonna buy Kojima in a betrayalthon!"
"They're gonna buy EA! Could they buy Sega too?"
Blah blah blah

I get there's not that X-Factor for Sony in the same way as MS, but I really don't want this thread turning into, as I said, fan fiction about studio acquisitions.

Ha, yeah a lot of posts there are just wish lists or unrealistic dreams of who MS should buy.

Like after Sunset Overdrive, hardly anyone on team Xbox much cared if Insomniac made a sequel or even any other game for Xbox.

But after Spider-Man, suddenly they've become one of the most wished for acquisitions.

Acquisition talk got old last year honestly.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
That's encouraging news for the SIE WW family, but let's also remember we lost Incognito, Zipper, Big Big, SIE Cambridge, SIE Liverpool, and Evolution Studios. We are still playing catch up.

Catch up? Your delusional. Sony has been leading FP exclusives even without those studios. Just because MS sweeps up a bunch of AA devs doesn't mean they are gonna pump out what Sony FP has been nurturing for years. Also with what we know Sony is expanding like crazy.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there are 2 types of games Sony is making.

1.Massive AAA games that they need to sell 5+ million copies
2.Smaller budget indie/VR titles

Detroit sold over 2 million copies but that apparently wasn't enough to keep Sony interested, i have a hard time believing that QD left Sony because they wanted to work with NetEase.
QD game are on the lower end of aaa development. Selling 2-3 million should be more than enough to put them in the black. And why do you find it hard to believe that QD would accept NetEase offer? Is there bad stories of dev working with NetEast in the past?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Kojima is super fast. Death Standing will take less development time than Detroit took

Development time is only one variable. The size of the team is another. A game that takes 2 years to make could have a bigger budget than a game that took 5 years to make if the former had 1000 people working on it vs 50 people for the latter.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the expansion of Sony coming from within? Like second studios for most of their big guns?
Some Sony studios are "expanding" because development/games will get bigger next gen (like with every new gen) and because they don't want to work over 5 years on one single game. Like they did with God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dreams, etc. So their studios are getting bigger.
That doesn't mean they have 2 full teams now at Guerrilla, etc.

They still need more 1st party studios imo. Well, let's see.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with Sony FP as long as they keep expanding (Cory new IP aka 2nd team at SSM, Bend or San Diego working on another project etc...). My problem is with how silent they're. Last time we saw something substantial from them was last E3.

Sony will be fine and they'll easily cross the +100 millions mark, but it's boring when we will go over a year with no major event to get excited about. I miss the old days when Shu or Adam or the 3rd party relationship guys would communicate with the fans and we'd get at least 3 events per year (sometimes even 4).

Something like inside Xbox or Nintendo Direct would be fine to fill the gap if Sony don't think they have something big enough for E3 or PGS (which is partially because they somehow completely shit the bed when it comes to 3rd party games going mostly to Xbox last year).

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Highly doubt Kojima
Money wise is not a big loss for Sony (on the contrary).

I think they bankrolled QD games for the prestige they brought. With that prestige damaged I'm sure they thought they could use the money somewhere else, like funding Death Stranding.

Kojima games will sell around the same, cost less, and bring that "prestige factor".

Not sure why Kojima is being brought up when his deal with Sony was made long before Detroit released.

And I'd say Kojima is one of the last people on Sony's roster who has to worry about money.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Catch up? Your delusional. Sony has been leading FP exclusives even without those studios. Just because MS sweeps up a bunch of AA devs doesn't mean they are gonna pump out what Sony FP has been nurturing for years. Also with what we know Sony is expanding like crazy.

Calm down on the aggression there. I'm saying we are still playing catch up to the amount of studios we had for SONY last gen. Has nothing to do with Microsoft and their agenda.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I cannot see how this might have been good for Sony. It's less one developer making exclusive games for them.
If Sony is going to continue with this 4 or 5 year development schedule in its games, it is clear that it will need more developers to manage to release at least 2 or 3 games a year.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Acquisition speculation is just so played out now.

Yeahhh. I obviously don't want to police what people can talk about, but I'm finding myself glossing over so many threads these days because there's so much "X needs to buy Y" nonsense absolutely everywhere.

It's like sports fans who get more invested in the transfer sagas than what their team is actually doing on the pitch. Snooze-inducing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot see how this might have been good for Sony. It's less one developer making exclusive games for them.
If Sony is going to continue with this 4 or 5 year development schedule in its games, it is clear that it will need more developers to manage to release at least 2 or 3 games a year.

They'll be fine with the devs they have + 3rd party contracts, there's zero cause for concern.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Sony are on track to have an extremely strong fiscal year. In fact this year will yield the best results for the Game and Network Services division in the company's history. Once again growth is being driven by the network services segment with full game downloads, add on content and subscription services boosting the bottom line.

Z0zSXri.png

OAQv6Ed.png
OAQv6Ed.png

Dq8G25PXQAAKcfq.jpg

2019 will be another solid year for the platform due to the large install base, growing network sales, strong third party software, first party software and back catalog. Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I'm conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we'll hear some whispers come out of GDC.

Overall there is a push to further invest in PSN and focus on expanding the services ecosystem around the PlayStation brand. I'm not sure if much of it will be realised this year, but there is definitely a lot in the pipeline for next gen. Overall there isn't much to talk about right now. But when there is I'll update this post.

Bumping this again to remind everyone that not only is PSN growing but they are actively recruiting network people to work on the next gen PSN 2.0

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No shit, MGS V is just an example, saying Kojima games is cheaper than QD titles and faster is wrong.

The point is that making a comparison to Death Stranding with those numbers hardly makes sense.

If DS releases in 2019 then that will be a development time of 3 years and it would be made using an existing engine.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
The point is that making a comparison to Death Stranding with those numbers hardly makes sense.

If DS releases in 2019 then that will be a development time of 3 years and it would be made using an existing engine.

DS has had some solid development times 3-4 years if it comes out in 2020.

Either way Kojima's team has one of the best developers in the world working with him especially if he brought over the fox engine team to further utilize and improve Décima

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Wish the best for folks at QD. Heavy Rain, despite all of its flaws was one of my favorite games last gen. I didn't like Beyond Two Souls and haven't played Their last game yet, unfortunately. But I like their touch and directing.

P.S. Their last 3 games have been graphical showcase for PS3 and PS4. I think Sony will miss that specific part of QD.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I personally did not care for QD games. But that'd just me I don't represent all ya. I am on the side that Sony is gearing up for something big. That calm before the storm. Hopefully it's not a shitstorm

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
QD game are on the lower end of aaa development. Selling 2-3 million should be more than enough to put them in the black. And why do you find it hard to believe that QD would accept NetEase offer? Is there bad stories of dev working with NetEast in the past?

Sony and Nintendo are by far the best publishers in the industry, NetEase makes mobile games, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

NetEase won't be able to replicate the type of support that Sony gave to QD, and judging by the online/mobile job apps on QDs recruitment page, they likely won't even try to match the type of scale/scope of their previous games.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are by far the best publishers in the industry, NetEase makes mobile games, there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

NetEase won't be able to replicate the type of support that Sony gave to QD, and judging by the online/mobile job apps on QDs recruitment page, they likely won't even try to match the type of scale/scope of their previous games.
That's a good point. NetEase must have offered something really nice to convince them or Sony didn't want to work with them then.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Wish the best for folks at QD. Heavy Rain, despite all of its flaws was one of my favorite games last gen. I didn't like Beyond Two Souls and haven't played Their last game yet, unfortunately. But I like their touch and directing.

P.S. Their last 3 games have been graphical showcase for PS3 and PS4. I think Sony will miss that specific part of QD.
Wait,what did I missed?Sony ended their collaborations?

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sad that Sony and QD partnership is over. maybe Sony wanted to distance themselves from all the allegations being hurled at the studio. Also means no chance of a hank connor dlc now . Sad.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I would only want Insomniac to join up with Sony as a WWS so that the trifecta is complete and under one house

ND, Sucker Punch and Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even know what you mean by the "m"" word lol

Multiplayer? But yeah, it's not something to be scared of. Sony should invest some effort into online games. It doesn't mean it needs to become their focus, but I feel like it's not something they can continue to ignore either.

I'm going to surprise people by saying that on console their are "too" few FPS games, especially this gen.

And besides a PS4 or 5 exclusive FPS game made by Sony's first party studios would be more refreshing and stick out more than another third person game, which while I like Sony's first party output it's not exactly varied and by that I mean 99% are TPS.

So a new Killzone, Resistance or a new FPS IP would be welcome.

Yeah, I agree. I've been on an FPS binge a bit lately and I don't think it feels like there's too many at all. Heck; given the difference you can have in games like Mirror's Edge, Dishonored, Bioshock, Halo, COD, TimeSplitters, Far Cry etc I think there's still a lot of interesting and distinct stuff that can be explored in the genre. I reckon Naughty Dog could make an outstanding campaign, as could Santa Monica.

Killzone, Resistance and especially SOCOM should stay dead and buried forever, they are really average games that got more than enough attempts to break out into something long lasting and failed.

Nah man; I disagree. Socom was one of the first big online games on console and I reckon it would still make a splash if Sony brought it back in a big way. But they need it for a specific niche, as the slower thinking man's shooter to fill the niche Rainbow Six used to occupy. Don't make it a huge bombastic shooter like the fourth game.

Sony needs to buy Silent Hill IP and give to Kojima.

At this point I'd say they'd be better just making a new IP, or mining Toyama's mind for something new and depraved. A big part of the reason Silent Hills was so exciting (apart from the way it was revealed) was the fact that Kojima was working on it along with Ito and Del Toro. Just apply that to something new and the Silent Hill IP itself it not necessary.

Looks like there are 2 types of games Sony is making.

1.Massive AAA games that they need to sell 5+ million copies
2.Smaller budget indie/VR titles

Detroit sold over 2 million copies but that apparently wasn't enough to keep Sony interested, i have a hard time believing that QD left Sony because they wanted to work with NetEase.

It seems as though maybe QD wanted a different partner, presumably so they could release on other platforms and own the IP for whatever they do next.

I sincerely doubt Death Stranding is going to cost less to develop than the 30 something million euros Detroit cost. Kojima is probably the most indulgent and lavish developer working in Japan, and for a AAA open-world game keeping the budget that low would be an amazing achievement.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's what I think for big 2019 releases:

April: Days Gone (confirmed)
June: Dreams
September: The Last of Us Part II

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.