• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there are 2 types of games Sony is making.

1.Massive AAA games that they need to sell 5+ million copies
2.Smaller budget indie/VR titles

Detroit sold over 2 million copies but that apparently wasn't enough to keep Sony interested, i have a hard time believing that QD left Sony because they wanted to work with NetEase.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Detroit sold over 2 million copies but that apparently wasn't enough to keep Sony interested, i have a hard time believing that QD left Sony because they wanted to work with NetEase.

As long as Sony don't fully chase the GaaS model too much that all sounds good.

Besides, the scandal involving the working conditions at Quantic probably played a part in Sony's choice not to try and buy them.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Previous post about budget :

Detroit sold very well for that kind of game and HR grossed over $100m
Cage just said they sold close to 3m Detroit in 8 months

Sony might be really happy with Detroit sales

The real reason about this decision to go multiplatform will be never known I guess

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Previous post about budget :

Detroit sold very well for that kind of game and HR grossed over $100m
Cage just said they sold close to 3m Detroit in 8 months

Sony might be really happy with Detroit sales

The real reason about this decision to go multiplatform will be never know I guess

Dropping arguably the best publisher in the world for a mobile publisher does not sound like a decision that QD made on their own.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sad about Quantic Dream going multiplatform. They made some great games in collaboration with Sony's Xdev Studio.
I hope they can keep the quality of Detroit: Become Human which I really liked. I hope this doesn't mean they will quit making choice-based games like Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit. If nothing changes and it's just them going multiplatform, than all is good.

Sony "lost" a collab dev (ended their partnership). Let's see who will take QD's spot. If Housemarque's first AAA game is a multiplatform game too, it will mean Sony ended the partnership with them, too. Some "interesting" changes lately.
Maybe they want to focus more on their own 1st party studios and a bit less on 3rd party studios (3rd party studios developing 1st party games for them). Or they simply started some new partnerships with different studios.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Kinda sad about Quantic Dream going multiplatform. They made some great games in collaboration with Sony's Xdev Studio.
I hope they can keep the quality of Detroit: Become Human which I really liked. I hope this doesn't mean they will quit making choice-based games like Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit. If nothing changes and it's just them going multiplatform, than all is good.

Sony "lost" a collab dev (ended their partnership). Let's see who will take QD's spot. If Housemarque's first AAA game is a multiplatform game too, it will mean Sony ended the partnership with them, too. Some "interesting" changes lately.
Maybe they want to focus more on their own 1st party studios and a bit less on 3rd party studios (3rd party studios developing 1st party games for them). Or they simply started some new partnerships with different studios.

After Netease investment i am skeptical of this.Entire Chinese gaming market is multiplayer and F2P ,so...we should adjust our expectations,i'm afraid.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I am expecting remedy to be doing something with PlayStation. They make the kind of games Sony are known for.

Jan 20, 2019
This is not the first time studios have dicede to go multiplatform.
Is to expensive to buy a studio, if sony wants more studios they will open more, they only studio a see sony buying in the future is Insomniac.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Sony needs more studios, that's for sure.

Some of them being second teams inside big studios like ND, Santa Monica, Guerrilla or Japan Studio, but also creating and buying some others.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Dropping arguably the best publisher in the world for a mobile publisher does not sound like a decision that QD made on their own.

Yes of course, personally I think :
Cage proposed that Sony could buy them, so it will secure these 150 employees for a job and moreover Detroit sold very well. Sony refused and wanted to do another deal for a project. NetEase contacted Cage (or vice versa) and Cage decided that if Sony didn't want to buy QD, then they now go multiplatform to expand their audience

One thing I don't understand is this quote from his interview :
We were not interested in just getting funding. A studio's future is shaped by vision, the means to realize it, but also about finding partners with whom you can create synergies in order to build something together, while remaining independent in your decisions.

Why did he say, he's not interested by "jut getting funding" ?
That's the dream of a developer, have a funding and develop the project they wanted (basically what Sony did for QD)

And now, they have an invest from NetEase (so basically a funding) and they will do whatever they want (like with Sony before). And I don't think a mobile publisher like NetEase has "something" with "whom you can create synergies in order to build together" unless NetEase previously did some story driven games I'm not aware of

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

They can't rely just on the world wide studios for first-party games. Think about where their line up would be without Insomniac Games, From Software, Supermassive, Bluepoint Games, Clap Hanz, etc. It's about 60 percent of their games. I'm sure it's just going to be another cycle of new and returning contract devs.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This is not the first time studios have dicede to go multiplatform.
Is to expensive to buy a studio, if sony wants more studios they will open more, they only studio a see sony buying in the future is Insomniac.

This... Plus Sony has opened San Diego and Manchester studios.

Sony is betting hard on existing studios, that's why Bend, Guerrilla and etc.. are growing

I am expecting remedy to be doing something with PlayStation. They make the kind of games Sony are known for.

Man I'm always up for Sony + Remedy... Especially if you mix Kojima in the mix

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Surprising to see that Sony and QD went their separate ways. I really like Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (until the stories went bat shit crazy). Similarly I liked how this studio expanded the overall 1st party portfolio for Sony.

I guess the rumors about going into a multi-platform were true...

Well anyways, hopefully Sony is making big bets in the next-gen with new partnerships and studios.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very bold strategy allowing MS to seem like the platform-maker with the most growth and momentum. I'm not saying Sony have little to show, far from it, but stuff like skipping E3 and their general silence on future/unannounced content/features could hurt them in the long run in terms of mind share

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
This... Plus Sony has opened San Diego and Manchester studios.

Sony is betting hard on existing studios, that's why Bend, Guerrilla and etc.. are growing

That's encouraging news for the SIE WW family, but let's also remember we lost Incognito, Zipper, Big Big, SIE Cambridge, SIE Liverpool, and Evolution Studios. We are still playing catch up.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It's a very bold strategy allowing MS to seem like the platform-maker with the most growth and momentum. I'm not saying Sony have little to show, far from it, but stuff like skipping E3 and their general silence on future/unannounced content/features could hurt them in the long run in terms of mind share

I agree,to some extent.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As long as they keep making great games that's all that will matter.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony doesn't need more studios. The R&D on PS5 must be expensive atm and launching a new console isn't cheap. They need foster the studios they have while launching a new console within the next two years

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Sony doesn't need more studios. The R&D on PS5 must be expensive atm and launching a new console isn't cheap. They need foster the studios they have while launching a new console within the next two years

I think we'll see for the first time the launch of new console (PS5) with the Gaming Division still profitable the same year

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Yeah I'm surprised why Sony have not bought Remedy yet. If there is one thing Sony needs in their portfolio is more third person action games. Sony does not have enough of those, and it needs to grab that niche market. /s

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Netease investment i am skeptical of this.Entire Chinese gaming market is multiplayer and F2P ,so...we should adjust our expectations,i'm afraid.
David Cage's interview with VentureBeat suggests they want to do more games like Heavy Rain or Detroit imo. Let's see. Let's see. Kinda sad. I love choice-based games. Hope the can keep the quality.
They can't rely just on the world wide studios for first-party games. Think about where their line up would be without Insomniac Games, From Software, Supermassive, Bluepoint Games, Clap Hanz, etc. It's about 60 percent of their games. I'm sure it's just going to be another cycle of new and returning contract devs.
Let's wait and see. Kinda weird choices lately by SIE. I don't like some of them.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There's nothing saying these studios and others won't continue to make exclusives for their platform. These studios can still make multiplatform titles or even games on other platforms, whilst simultaneously returning to make exclusives for the PS4/PS5. See Supermassive, Insomniac, FROM etc.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This whole acquisition thing really has people on this forum going bananas. I don't think some of you realise how detached you are from reality sometimes.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
David Cage's interview with VentureBeat suggests they want to do more games like Heavy Rain or Detroit imo. Let's see. Let's see. Kinda sad. I love choice-based games. Hope the can keep the quality.

Let's wait and see. Kinda weird choices lately by SIE. I don't like some of them.

People who brought Sony and PS to this success,Kaz and Andrew House left...this new leadership seems very quiet/absent and i don't like that at all.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who brought Sony and PS to this success,Kaz and Andrew House left...this new leadership seems very quiet/absent and i don't like that at all.

It's not like Kaz, Andrew House or anyone else from Sony were loud about PS4 plans well in advance of the consoles launch. Infact, we didn't hear a peep. That isn't how Sony has traditionally operated. They've instead always invested heavily in an older platform right up until a new one is announced. You had games like GT6 and TLOU right at the tail end of the PS3's life, and we're getting stuff like Days Gone, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding right up to the end of the PS4's.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for QD, and for people who wanted to play their games but didn't own a PS console.

No big loss for Sony, QD's games will still be on PS consoles (and likely even sell the most on them) but Sony won't have to pay for years of development.

Speaking of which, wonder which Sony dev/IP is going to benefit from the budget that it will get in place of QD.

Good for QD, and for people who wanted to play their games but didn't own a PS console.

No big loss for Sony, QD's games will still be on PS consoles (and likely even sell the most on them) but Sony won't have to pay for years of development.

Speaking of which, wonder which Sony dev/IP is going to benefit from the budget that it will get in place of QD.

Hopefully Kojima.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
+99999999999999999999999
i agree
the new leadership almost did nothing compare to Kaz and Andrew
Andrew may the reason of Kojima partisanship with Sony

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
the reaction to QD taking outside money in here

giphy.gif

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully the money Sony saved by consolidating studios this gen can be used to fund more 3rd party full exclusives next gen.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Acquisition speculation is just so played out now.

uJk01CI.gif

Exactly. I'm so tired of reading about who should buy who. It's basically turned into fanboy fan fiction in the Microsoft thread (not everyone there is like that of course) and it's been like that for months.

"MS is gonna buy Kojima in a betrayalthon!"
"They're gonna buy EA! Could they buy Sega too?"
Blah blah blah

I get there's not that X-Factor for Sony in the same way as MS, but I really don't want this thread turning into, as I said, fan fiction about studio acquisitions.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Money wise is not a big loss for Sony (on the contrary).

I think they bankrolled QD games for the prestige they brought. With that prestige damaged I'm sure they thought they could use the money somewhere else, like funding Death Stranding.

Kojima games will sell around the same, cost less, and bring that "prestige factor".

Status
Not open for further replies.