• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Sony dominated 2018 as they should have.

Detroit is in my backlog. I enjoyed the demo but too many new games coming out so like RDR 2, it will be a summer game for me since the summer is always dead.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Sony probably had the weakest booth at pax south. Really lame to come all the way to pax south for the first time just to have Days Gone. Even the merch they had for sale sucked.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a theory but I believe something significant will release during the E3 2019 window. Either on their traditional conference day or that week. At a guess I'd say either Dreams or Concrete Genie.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Hell no. Lost Legacy shits all over Uncharted 4. The story, characters including Nadine because she's actually worth being in Lost Legacy where as in Uncharted 4, she's not needed at all (and Sam for that matter) are far better than Uncharted 4. Pacing in chapter 4 is NOT an issue because you can ignore the side content completely where as the pacing issues in Uncharted 4 is throughout the entire game and nothing can be done about it.

The only Uncharted game that is worse than Uncharted 4 is the original Uncharted and even then, I gave both the same 8.5/10 rating. Will never understand all the praise that Uncharted 4 gets especially over Lost Legacy when Lost Legacy is by far the better game for one main reason - unlike Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy is all about going on an Indiana Jones type action packed adventure which is what the franchise is supposed to be. Uncharted 4 is the lone game that doesn't feel or play like this at all. UGH.

TLL might as well be a greatest hits disc as they literally replay most of the setpieces from other games in. Or as in the final chase sequence, they tie the two best ones together.

I don't think it is a better execution on the same design principles as Uncharted 4 though I found it entertaining as I played it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Is it confirmed Barlog isn't on the next game?

No, but the signs ( if one bothers to read too much into it ) is there.

- Recent hiring tweets for the writing team didn't include "working together with Cory" but includes all other of the writing team, even the narrative director Matt Sophos.
- Cory talks about 'looking for a breakthrough' for what he's currently working on, which doesn't feel like something he'd say for GoW2 given that the story outline is already penned out and the sequel should presumably be an iterative sequel.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
No, but the signs ( if one bothers to read too much into it ) is there.

- Recent hiring tweets for the writing team didn't include "working together with Cory" but includes all other of the writing team, even the narrative director Matt Sophos.
- Cory talks about 'looking for a breakthrough' for what he's currently working on, which doesn't feel like something he'd say for GoW2 given that the story outline is already penned out and the sequel should presumably be an iterative sequel.
With this in mind, we should not expect to see the new IP from Cory for a long-long time? Like, at the earliest 2024-2025?

Or is there any indication that SMS is moving to a new office/increasing substantially the studio size (just like Guerrilla Games)?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
With this in mind, we should not expect to see the new IP from Cory for a long-long time? Like, at the earliest 2024-2025?

Or is there any indication that SMS is moving to a new office/increasing substantially the studio size (just like Guerrilla Games)?

No indication of the latter.

And yeah, either way a new IP is going to gestate for 4-5 years minimum. That's the reality of most AAA development these days.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
2009 : Uncharted 2 and then preproduction of TLOU
2011 : Uncharted 3
2013 : The Last of Us

So we can expect this for Santa Monica :
2018 : God of War and preproduction of Cory's new IP
2021 : God of War 2 (and then preproduction of GOW3 with small team)
2023 : Cory's new IP (« only » 2 years after GOW2 seems reasonable with majority of staff after 2-3 years of preproduction and begining of production during GOW2´s development)
2025 : God of War 3 (same engine than God of War 2 on PS5 probably makes the game's development faster + 2 years of preproduction and beginning of production during Cory's new IP development)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

2023 : Cory's new IP (« only » 2 years after GOW2 seems reasonable with majority of staff after 2-3 years of preproduction and begining of production during GOW2´s development)
2025 : God of War 3 (same engine than God of War 2 on PS5 probably makes the game's development faster + 2 years of preproduction and beginning of production during Cory's new IP development)
if they can fit all that, it would be crazy fast, the reality is that AAA game development is taking longer and longer as time goes on and we move from generation to generation.

Nov 18, 2018

I think the timescale is maybe a bit optimistic but I'd really like to see this from Santa Monica. After the success of God of War I'd like to see them expand the team a bit, even if it's not as dramatic an expansion as Guerrilla, so they can put out games a bit more frequently and work on two at a time.

And I really can't wait to see what Cory is working on. I have absolutely no guesses as to what it would be but I have every confidence he can deliver something epic.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
if they can fit all that, it would be crazy fast, the reality is that AAA game development is taking longer and longer as time goes on and we move from generation to generation.

Hopefully what Guerilla is doing works and Sony encourages all their 1st party studios to expand to help speed it up.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
This fits perfectly to the post I'm going to make now.
So my girl-friend played through Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4 and The Lost Legacy a few days ago. Soon afterwards I had to watch some new Uncharted Let's Play videos on Youtube. I was so hyped again that I had to play The Lost Legacy today. Now..... I miss the Uncharted gang. I mean.... I REALLY miss them. Uncharted is one of my favourite franchises. The perfect game/franchise for me. I need at least 2 games every gen now :P So all I can hope is that Sony's new team in San Diego is really working on a new Uncharted game. And I want more Chloe <3
Let's go, Sony! More Uncharted please :)

I mean, if they go with more Chloe for the future games I think that'd be great. :P

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Maybe it's me but I don't find it crazy fast (especially if the studio would expand in the future)

God of War 2 : 3 years including preproduction + full development (considering universe/lore is created + writing team including Cory vision have a long story to tell for the franchise + some big elements cut or not added in the first game that could be included in the 2nd one easy and fast)

Cory's new IP : 5 years [preproduction which could last 2 years and then 3 years of full development ; like God of War (2018)]

God of War 3 : 4 years (preproduction faster given they know what to do for a finale [maybe] and full development) which is one year more than God of War 2´s time of development

I hope I'm right, the more Santa Monica games, the better

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
But we will still be on x86 architecture next generation , So shouldn't development would be easier and smoother?!
all this stuff about making development easier doesnt stop the probably exponential increase in game complexity and assets, it is only meant to help reduce the load as much as it can. like you i hope technology like motion matching, photoscanning (possibly using that AI texture upscaler) to help smooth out the development process, but even then, how many developers are there that releases high quality games so quickly? the only developer i can think in insomniac which are really nuts in terms of efficiency.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like ND proved that its possible to make a game fast since they did U4 in about 2 years (hell Sony expected it to be done in a year and half since it was set for 2015). Once again another mistake by ND or Sony by giving out a release window (which they both realized) and unfortunately ND crunched like crazy to make it happen. Now I think Sony is giving their teams more leisure time to make their games, 3-5 years top to make it good.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Yeah, Sony dominated 2018 as they should have.

Detroit is in my backlog. I enjoyed the demo but too many new games coming out so like RDR 2, it will be a summer game for me since the summer is always dead.

Sony is the reason I didn't use my high end rig much in 2018.

I finished God of War and by the time I finished I jumped to Detroit... And then Spider Man.

I kept playing exclusives all year while doing some backlog cleaning.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't understand the love for Lost Legacy in here tbh, even when compared to Uncharted 4.

The open world section in TLL is the worst, most mind-numbingly boring chapter I've ever seen in any Naughty Dog game ever. That alone would have been enough to kill the game for me. Add in that the main setpiece was lifted wholesale from a past game and it gets worse.

Worst of all are the story and characters, which is what would normally carry an Uncharted game. Couldn't connect at all with it and it all felt so inconsequential. Nadine is just a poorly done character and needs to be abandoned for good. Chloe is bland and one-note and doesn't live up to the main cast from UC4.

I just hope that ND doesn't try emulating anything similar to that open world section again in any of their future games, though I fear they will.

Someone has to market it lol

Legit lol. I don't know how clueless Media Molecule has to be to try to hide this. Surely they can see that no one cares about Dreams right now?

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kynanpearson/
Saw this in this MS thread, it says that he was working at Bluepoint till 2016 and states multiple unannounced projects so maybe they've been working on Demon Souls/Syphon Filter/Other remake while working on Shadow. Must be pretty far along by now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Although I've yet to try VR myself I'm glad that Astro Bot is such a success among players, hopefully they'll make an even better sequel for PS5/PSVR2 and hopefully Sony will invest even more in VR.
Astro Bot was really great, my #2 in voting thread. I think Team Asobi's developer said that they made this game in 18 months? So shouldn't take too long for their next game, be it Astro Bot 2 or something else. What I was excited to hear is that they don't want to make another game that is more the same. They want to innovate and push boundaries.

I'm already waiting for next-gen VR. If they can provide foveated rendering, it's gonna be awesome. While this first iteration is sufficient for VR gaming, there's a lot to improve the user experience and visual fidelity. And I think the PS4 CPU might be a bottle neck for some games not being fully feasible in VR (looking at you GT Sport). Gran Turismo 7 fully playable in PSVR, please! And Ace Combat 8. That would be sweet.
Is there no hype for Blood & Truth? It seems like the biggest first-party VR game yet.
I have hype for it. It seems to have fun gameplay. Just needs to have a release date set to get more hype around it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Dude, no. Just no.

You can't look at what a studio did a generation ago and then apply their timing to a different studio today, or in this case, next-gen games.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

That's not how it works at all, every gen development takes longer and longer, not to mention that Naught Dog is by far and wide the biggest 1st party studio.

That's not how this works.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

Not a chance, games take only longer and longer to develop. God of War 2 in 2021 is possible since they have so much planned out but they'd have to go full steam on that to have it ready by then, which would of course mean Cory's new IP wouldn't have been worked on enough to be ready just 2 years after.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Just because Cory is working on a new IP doesn't mean it'll ever come to fruition. Things get cancelled all the time early on, let's not forget what happened to SSM's last new IP with Stig. It's far too early to be putting together timelines for something that may or may not work out.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Lol guys, calm down
It's just my thoughts, we'll see what happened
Maybe you can propose a timeline of how things will happen, it might be interesting

Now they have an established franchise, I don't think this timeline is out of reach

Even if I am right or wrong, this post will be forgotten for long time

Just because Cory is working on a new IP doesn't mean it'll ever come to fruition. Things get cancelled all the time early on, let's not forget what happened to SSM's last new IP with Stig. It's far too early to be putting together timelines for something that may or may not work out.

Yeah and what I have written is just speculation...
That's how I could see the future release of Santa Monica in an optimistic way

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Games will take 4-5 years, not 3 - even if the bases are layed out.

For a new IP I agree
Cory made GOW and that's for sure he and this team know where the franchise goes, that's already a good start

3 years seem reasonable

I still expect Horizon sequel for PS5 release late 2020 and God of War sequel for 2021 (along with Spider-Man sequel in 2021 ; in 2022 if Insomniac would release a Ratchet in 2020)

Last edited:

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Legit lol. I don't know how clueless Media Molecule has to be to try to hide this. Surely they can see that no one cares about Dreams right now?

It's Sony's policy. Media Molecule has been showing Dreams off nonstop. I also blame users. Instead of creating original shit, they just nab predefined characters so that Media Molecule can't show off their stuff.

There was this really cool game that used Clank as a character, but they can't show stuff like that off for legal reasons.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Account just got approved , love you Sony era .

aye!

Uh.. dude.. that's pushing it, to the fullest extent too. I doubt we see God of War in 3 years, if anything MAYBE we see a teaser trailer in 2021 followed by multiple E3s with different trailers like they did these past few years. Even that's reaching to an extent because marketing always changes and Sony may not do the same styled of E3s they did the last few years assuming they come back E3 2020.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
3sIa4qZ.gif
So so good.
This really makes me play UC again.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the love for Lost Legacy in here tbh, even when compared to Uncharted 4.

The open world section in TLL is the worst, most mind-numbingly boring chapter I've ever seen in any Naughty Dog game ever. That alone would have been enough to kill the game for me. Add in that the main setpiece was lifted wholesale from a past game and it gets worse.

Worst of all are the story and characters, which is what would normally carry an Uncharted game. Couldn't connect at all with it and it all felt so inconsequential. Nadine is just a poorly done character and needs to be abandoned for good. Chloe is bland and one-note and doesn't live up to the main cast from UC4.

I just hope that ND doesn't try emulating anything similar to that open world section again in any of their future games, though I fear they will.

That's okay. I will never ever understand the love for online gaming but what can you do? To each their own. :)

Oct 25, 2017
aye!

Uh.. dude.. that's pushing it, to the fullest extent too. I doubt we see God of War in 3 years, if anything MAYBE we see a teaser trailer in 2021 followed by multiple E3s with different trailers like they did these past few years. Even that's reaching to an extent because marketing always changes and Sony may not do the same styled of E3s they did the last few years assuming they come back E3 2020.
So you're saying no sequel until ~2023?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
So you're saying no sequel until ~2023?
If I had to assume, I think next after Death's Stranding / Dreams / TLOU2 / Concrete Genie etc, the next exclusive up should easily be Horizon 2. I think after that there's probably stuff we don't know about in the works in terms of future exclusives that'll clearly come out before* God of War 2. God of War was a masterpiece (in my opinion, just me), and clearly they'll take all the time they while filling in the gap with exclusive games in between. But yeah, if I had to assume it'd be 2022-2023-ish. Even then, I don't see FFVII's Remake coming out before that lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.