• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding in September.
The Last of Us Part II in November.
#Believe

On a side note, how the heck is the Microsoft Studios thread on Page 8 of OT4 already, when Sony First Party thread actually skipped OT3, and when there's so little to tangibly discuss on the Xbox side when it comes to games?

I think most of it is speculation over more acquisitions and excitement for the future. They deserve it, after MS spent like 6-7 years really dragging their feet in terms of first-party output.

those hollywood actors ain't cheap

I expect their salaries are negligible compared to the overall cost of development.

Just to compare some numbers. According to Lindekin, Naughty Dog has 448 employees (probably including the ICE Team), while Sucker Punch has "only" 193.

Wow, 193 is actually quite a bit bigger than I expected for SP. I hope they don't need a round of layoffs after Days Gone launches like they did with Infamous First Light.

Holy shit, that's amazing. Dreams is capable of some really impressive stuff.

The Lost Legacy is just a worse version of Uncharted 4. Same game-play, worse story which is under cooked, much shorter, and with worse characters (Chloe's ace, Nadine sucks). It's a good game, but in no way is it better than UC4. Chapter 4 destroys the game's pacing too.

It's a better version of Uncharted 4 because it trims off all the fat that game had down into a nice 8 hour adventure and the first fucking third of the game isn't a slow narrative drag trying to justify Sam's hitherto-unmentioned existence! Like, I love UC4 and I think it has some great moments, but the pacing is shit and I have little desire to actually return to it.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
If we talk about personal preference, there are at least 4 Sony First Party Studios that make games that I like more than what Naughty Dog has to offer. I still enjoyed every Naughty Dog game. ND also has the most impressive tech. But I want their next game to be less down-to-earth with no present or post-apocalyptic setting.

And yeah, Dreams is insane! I'll hopefully get my beta code tomorrow.
Yeah I want ND to make something less grounded too. But they're the best at what they do 🤷🏽‍♂️.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any indications that more Spider-Man DLC is coming? Or we expecting nothing until a full sequel?

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Death Stranding is probably something Kojima had in his head for years.

But yeah, a AAA new IP from Sony in under four years would be a record I think, lol

We have heard from several people now that the support Sonys WWS structure can give you is pretty much the best in the business.
I wonder if and how Kojima profited off of this. For one thing they used Guerillas Engine, which, I would guess, easily shaved of one year of production time.
I think stuff like this will play a role in eventual acquisition talks between Kojima Productions and Sony.

It will also become more important when more major 3rd party IP owners decide they want to bring their non-gaming IP to the gaming market. Much like Marvel worked with Sony to make Spider-Man Ps4.
Sonys WWS have become their most valuable asset imo, not only because they produce good exclusives, but also because the structure can draw in new talent and new partnerships.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone in April and Death Stranding in June would be killer.

Kinda like the Detroit/GOW combo from last year.

Death Stranding in September.

The Last of Us Part II in November.

#Believe

Yup and it will be great for shutting the haters up as well.

Days Gone, Dreams, Concrete Genie, Death Stranding, and MediEvil are all the PS4 needs in 2019. TLOU2 deserves all the dev time it can get.

Honestly, the only game I will be disappointed missing this year is Death Stranding. 2019 just seems like the perfect release year for it

I think TLOU2 will be in the November spot and DS will be earlier.

The train is off the rails.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
TLOu2 I still can't even believe that's gsmeplay. Look back at the videos, it's insane. Wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed and of course a better version released a year later on PS5.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong hahaha
Dreams needs some viral marketing and PT is the perfect for that.

Or how about some 2D Side-scrolling Mario... DREAMS EDITION.
BAB4vSh.jpg

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Lost Legacy shits all over Uncharted 4. The story, characters including Nadine because she's actually worth being in Lost Legacy where as in Uncharted 4, she's not needed at all (and Sam for that matter) are far better than Uncharted 4. Pacing in chapter 4 is NOT an issue because you can ignore the side content completely where as the pacing issues in Uncharted 4 is throughout the entire game and nothing can be done about it.

The only Uncharted game that is worse than Uncharted 4 is the original Uncharted and even then, I gave both the same 8.5/10 rating. Will never understand all the praise that Uncharted 4 gets especially over Lost Legacy when Lost Legacy is by far the better game for one main reason - unlike Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy is all about going on an Indiana Jones type action packed adventure which is what the franchise is supposed to be. Uncharted 4 is the lone game that doesn't feel or play like this at all. UGH.

For some people Nate and Elena are such huge part of UC it not the same without them .
Truth is UC4 pacing should have been better but i love my time with characters and seeing end of Nate and Elena story .
I played up to ch 4 for LL but stop since i did not care as much even thought i knew the pacing was better .

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. Lost Legacy shits all over Uncharted 4. The story, characters including Nadine because she's actually worth being in Lost Legacy where as in Uncharted 4, she's not needed at all (and Sam for that matter) are far better than Uncharted 4. Pacing in chapter 4 is NOT an issue because you can ignore the side content completely where as the pacing issues in Uncharted 4 is throughout the entire game and nothing can be done about it.

The only Uncharted game that is worse than Uncharted 4 is the original Uncharted and even then, I gave both the same 8.5/10 rating. Will never understand all the praise that Uncharted 4 gets especially over Lost Legacy when Lost Legacy is by far the better game for one main reason - unlike Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy is all about going on an Indiana Jones type action packed adventure which is what the franchise is supposed to be. Uncharted 4 is the lone game that doesn't feel or play like this at all. UGH.
The story in The Lost Legacy is half-baked. I've just recently replayed the series and it's glaringly obvious that not much was done in that department. Nadine is horrible in The Lost Legacy. While she was misused in Uncharted 4, mainly due to the ending of her character, she's at least positioned interestingly as a war criminal serving as the hired muscle for the main villain. She overwhelms you twice, you get just enough characterization, but she doesn't get her comeuppance at the end because for some reason, the writers thought it would be better to use her to drive home the point of a certain theme, which obviously is unsatisfying considering we're dealing with a legit horrible person in universe. That and the fact that she's ultimately a minor character, so using her for this is bizarre. She was basically the hired muscle role we tend with in previous games, but they didn't give us a firm resolution, and kind of let her get away with it. It's subversion for the sake of subversion, which is bad.

In The Lost Legacy, she is basically Chloe's sidepiece. She's there to bring up story points for Chloe's character when necessary. Her character, despite spending 7 hours with her, remains without any substance. There's like two conversations that basically involve her saying Shoreline was her father's company and that's why it means a lot to her, but aside from that, she's just a nothing character. It's worse because despite Chloe's story being half-baked, she's a legitimately charismatic lead but has nothing to really play off. Nadine is just kind of a drone there to bring up "story" when necessary. What makes it worse is that The Lost Legacy is clearly attempting to redeem Nadine's character, and that doesn't work when we're dealing with what is a huge piece of crap in universe. You can't just do a half-assed about turn with her. It rings hollow because it is. And even in Chloe's case, they take the least interesting route by having her past relegated to about four brief conversations. The story itself has no depth whatsoever. There's an inkling of it, but the game isn't really interested in exploring it all in any meaningful way. (Probably because it was originally DLC.) It's just a lot of banter, half of which is somewhat bad, until Sam gets involved. Sam himself seems kind of off compared to his UC4 incarnation, and just seems like he's there to crack jokes. His inclusion is superfluous whereas he's a pretty major component in UC4 and that games uses that time well to flesh out his character and relationship with Drake. Asav could've been a great villain in a proper game, but The Lost Legacy does the bare minimum. Not a bad thing considering the original trilogy, but he has the potential to be really great, and it's kind of wasted, because again, the story is half-baked.

Also, Chapter 4 is terrible regardless of not doing the side content. I've never done it and it just grinds everything to a halt. The Lost Legacy obviously started out as DLC, and it very evidently shows in the game itself. UC4 is a big step up from previous games when it comes to storytelling and general presentation, and it's jarring when you go from that to The Lost Legacy after it. Even simple stuff like the openings demonstrate a big difference in quality in terms of how the presentation is. That's ignoring the general quality of the set-up, the character interactions and relationships, and how it handles its themes. The Lost Legacy barely even has a theme. It's basically a quick adventure.

UC4 gets the praise it does because it's a pretty fantastic game. It takes its time, does a great job of giving its main characters depth, and the story feels plenty fleshed out because they actually do a good job of exploring the main themes and relationships. Even the "pacing" criticism feels odd to most people that like it because the game is a send off for Drake, and the story takes its time to set things up, and then pay them off really well. It would be like arguing The Last of Us had bad pacing because it takes a few hours to set things up and has a slow start. There's a reason behind that. The only flaws I could levy at the game would be that it felt we needed another 2-3 combat arenas because the gunplay is a huge step up, but the game doesn't quite hit the right balance. Another set-piece would've also been welcome. Again, for the balance factor. When you have a game in the series that was essentially perfect (Uncharted 2), it's a little disappointing that Uncharted 4 came incredibly close to matching that kind of perfection but has a few odd things holding it back. Everything else is mostly on point aside from the resolution of Nadine's character. The story, characters, game-play, and yes, even the pacing, is pretty great overall. It feels like a pretty epic resolution for the most part. And Drake is simply a fantastic lead.

The Lost Legacy is let down by a half-baked story, and the only reason why that factor doesn't stand out much, is because the game is less than 7 hours long. You can pretty much just zoom through it with only Chapter 4 feeling like a drag. And just like UC4, The Lost Legacy takes a few chapters to get going, but in its case, those few chapters are almost half the game. Whereas with UC4, it's basically the first 2-3 hours of a 15 hour game (and the opening in UC4 is way stronger anyway which alleviates that subsequent 2 hours of set-up). TLL does a good job of throwing in a bunch of combat encounters and some puzzles later on which really helps redeem the earlier weaknesses, but overall, it feels very much like a side game and is very lacking in comparison to UC4. The one great thing it does is that it does justice to Chloe because UC3 didn't do much with her, and UC4 basically ignored her since obviously, the story wouldn't really work with throwing her in it. And really, if anything, a Drake and Chloe game is something that clearly needed to be made.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I much preferred UC4 and feel the reviews got it just right. Ultimately TLL is missing one of the key components of what makes a great Uncharted game or adventure tale, the globe trotting, multi country, multi location diversity and sense of adventure, awe and wonder such a globe spanning journey brings.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For some people Nate and Elena are such huge part of UC it not the same without them .
Truth is UC4 pacing should have been better but i love my time with characters and seeing end of Nate and Elena story .
I played up to ch 4 for LL but stop since i did not care as much even thought i knew the pacing was better .

I feel the same way. LL may very well be a better game than UC4, but UC4 was the far more memorable and emotionally resonating game to me. The epilogue in UC4 is one of those gaming moments that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I much preferred UC4 and feel the reviews got it just right. Ultimately TLL is missing one of the key components of what makes a great Uncharted game or adventure tale, the globe trotting, multi country, multi location diversity and sense of adventure, awe and wonder such a globe spanning journey brings.
Heck, it's not even just that, but just the general execution of the set-up and pay off. UC4 really lays a foundation and then pays it all off in one game. It has few missteps really. I only just replayed the series back to back so it's pretty apparent in my opinion. Also, UC2 is just kind of a beast in how it really perfectly nails everything. Of course, the game-play seems weaker now, but damn, they really nailed that game in so many ways. Even so, UC4 has some major step ups and I wouldn't blame someone for preferring UC4 simply based on how improved the gunplay is. It's bloody fantastic. It's going to be very disappointing if we do not get this particular formula again, because you can design some amazing combat encounters around what Uncharted does. TLL was a little lacking because while it set up the arenas well, it didn't seem to give as much thought to enemy placement. Like right before you board the train, there's a fantastic place, except if you were to play it on a higher difficulty, you're gonna be playing a game of patience rather than skill, because the enemy paths are kind of a mess. UC4 didn't have that problem. The enemy routes were well done, so playing it on a higher difficulty resulted in some excellent encounters rather than exercise in sitting and waiting mostly. This is another flaw with TLL that makes it feel lacking compared to UC4. The design is lacking.

Funnily enough, TLL bares the closest resemblance to UC1, and I don't mean because like UC1, it does no globetrotting. I mean in terms of how thin the story, characters, and narrative feel. Especially because the series progressively gets better in this department with both UC2 and UC4 representing huge step ups in storytelling and plotting. But one thing UC1 still does a lot better than TLL, and any of the other games, is how it sets up the twist towards the end of the game. I can still remember it being pretty spooky back in the day, and it's something I think the series didn't quite replicate again. Probably because you've kind of got rid of the "first time" factor. Just the atmosphere and mood shift is pretty special.

I wouldn't mind an Uncharted Drake's Fortune remake. With more set-pieces and UC4 gunplay. There. I said it. Alternatively, I'll take a Drake and Chloe side game set before the events of UC1.

Even better if we actually get that Uncharted reboot. That would be the best case scenario. But they really can't let the formula just disappear. UC is pretty special. Ain't nothing else out there that does what it does.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, mostly, my issue was really just the pacing.

Nate's final tale was surely a masterpiece and well done just a bit slow in parts. I just had more FUN playing LL, where is UC4 might be the better experience overall.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Uncharted 3, I was already sick and tired of Nate and Elena. Just too much of a soap opera which is not why im playing the game to begin with. Lost Legacy had none of that crap. It stayed true to what the franchise has been since the original. Uncharted 4 lost sight of that. Nadine was good in Lost Legacy and garbage in U4 because the antagonist is RICH, he doesn't need her. He could have bought any military he wanted or ex-members. Nadine was a waste in U4 and the way she leaves is just a WTF moment. Sam was garbage as well because he's shoehorned into the game for no apparent reason. The entire series never mentions Nate having a brother but wait, all of a sudden he does. U4 is overrated in my opinion. The story isn't great at all. It's just a soap opera. Mafia III had the best story by far in 2016. U4 wasn't even close.

Lost Legacy IS everything that U4 SHOULD have been but wasn't. Lost Legacy gives you the visuals of U4 but better. The melee combat of U3, the action scenes of U2 and that feeling of "the beginning of something special" of U1. It does it all and best of all, it does it better. Better antagonist. Refined gameplay. Great story and characters.

In U4, it was all about the soap opera drama (as usual) and the brother. The pirate treasure hunt was THIRD. It should not have been third whatsoever. When U4 ended, I was extremely happy that the franchise and series was dead. Lost Legacy brought me back. If a new Uncharted is in development, it better be Lost Legacy 2. I'm sick of Drake(s) and Elena. And no, I don't want to play as his daughter either. I did that already. It was called Tomb Raider.

To each their own but I will always see U4 as overrated, slow, boring, dull, same soap opera garbage, a brother that shouldn't exist, horrible pacing and outside of the one awesome action sequence, barely anything at all. Just a major disappointment for me.

For me, it's Lost Legacy, U2, U3, U4 and U1 in that order. Just hoping that a Lost Legacy 2 is developed instead of Uncharted 5. Enough is enough with the same old shit.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the salt on that thread cause Spidey
Lmao
What thread?

And speaking of Spidey, I genuinely think Spidey 2 has the potential for a UC1 to UC2 kind of leap. There are several things in that game that could do with polishing and improving. The one good thing is the core game-play with Spidey, when it comes to swinging and fighting, is pretty damn good. Even the later boss fights (avoiding spoilers, I am referring to two particular ones which are similar in style to each other) were damn good, and could be evolved into something even greater with that kind of balancing factor going on.

The main flaws are the side content being bad, the writing being inadequate, and the main campaign being let down by a few odd spots. Considering the core game-play has a solid foundation and the main campaign was still decent, the sequel could be a classic if they make the necessary improvements. It just feels like a game that has a strong foundation, but needs some real refining to become an all time classic kind of game.

UC1 very much felt like a solid game at the time. It did some things right, some things wrong. Then UC2 came along and was just outright great. That's how I feel about Spidey. Solid game. But is just kind of waiting on those doors being blown off. Really hoping Insomniac manages that. Just address the writing and that alone will help a lot. Then it's just a matter of polishing up the side content and making it less tedious and bland.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This fits perfectly to the post I'm going to make now.
So my girl-friend played through Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4 and The Lost Legacy a few days ago. Soon afterwards I had to watch some new Uncharted Let's Play videos on Youtube. I was so hyped again that I had to play The Lost Legacy today. Now..... I miss the Uncharted gang. I mean.... I REALLY miss them. Uncharted is one of my favourite franchises. The perfect game/franchise for me. I need at least 2 games every gen now :P So all I can hope is that Sony's new team in San Diego is really working on a new Uncharted game. And I want more Chloe <3
Let's go, Sony! More Uncharted please :)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you, mostly, my issue was really just the pacing.

Nate's final tale was surely a masterpiece and well done just a bit slow in parts. I just had more FUN playing LL, where is UC4 might be the better experience overall.

Agreed with the pacing. Whilst on my first play through I never really felt it as much due everything being so new and fresh, being enamoured by the visuals, world, and banter, and wanting to explore all the areas, find all the treasures etc, in subsequent play throughs the copious amounts of exposition and slower pace did impact my enjoyment somewhat.

All in all if they'd put in a few more gunfights and maybe just one or two more major set piece moments, it could have been closer to ideal.

From what I've read and heard through interviews etc, the big set piece that was cut from the game was from Scotland, and I did feel that segment of the game could have especially done with one.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with the pacing. Whilst on my first play through I never really felt it as much due everything being so new and fresh, being enamoured by the visuals, world, and banter, and wanting to explore all the areas, find all the treasures etc, in subsequent play throughs the copious amounts of exposition and slower pace did impact my enjoyment somewhat.

All in all if they'd put in a few more gunfights and maybe just one or two more major set piece moments, it could have been closer to ideal.

From what I've read and heard through interviews etc, the big set piece that was cut from the game was from Scotland, and I did feel that segment of the game could have especially done with one.
Wow I actually hadn't heard that, yeah, that area definitely needed it.

You made a good point about subsequent playthroughs also,by the way. I really don't have much of a desire to play it again despite being one of the better games this generation, which is a shame.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
God of War won era GOTY in a landslide, Spider-Man #2

Astrobot and Detroit also made it into the top 10. What a year for Sony.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
From what I've read and heard through interviews etc, the big set piece that was cut from the game was from Scotland, and I did feel that segment of the game could have especially done with one

The original plan was to incorporate a stamina bar for the climbing sections, but it got left out because time pressure and ND couldn't balance climbing/combat while climbing in a way that worked.

It's all in this interview:

http://interactive.libsyn.com/

Scroll down to the one with Neil Druckman.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
At least it's something new.

Personally I want to see it finished with all the balancing & such.

Maybe the new studio could implement it for the new Uncharted game (if true).

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
At least it's something new.

Personally I want to see it finished with all the balancing & such.

Maybe the new studio could implement it for the new Uncharted game (if true).

I think for now we should assume that the new San Diego team is not working on a new Uncharted game. All their employees have a multiplayer background. Therefore, they most likely work either as a support team on the multiplayer part of another First Party game or they develop their own multiplayer game.

Nov 21, 2017
Bruh so much salt in the ERA GOTY Thread about Detroit getting in the top 10. I'm so happy Connor Army showed it some love, by far 1 of my favorite games last year and can't wait to see what Quantic Dream does next.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh so much salt in the ERA GOTY Thread about Detroit getting in the top 10. I'm so happy Connor Army showed it some love, by far 1 of my favorite games last year and can't wait to see what Quantic Dream does next.
Some people tried to attack it with their biased anti Cage nonsense. But a lot of people liked it. A lot! A fun game is a fun game. It's winning some nice awards and is in Era's top ten. All is good ;)

Nov 21, 2017
Some people tried to attack it with their biased anti Cage nonsense. But a lot of people liked it. A lot! A fun game is a fun game. It's winning some nice awards and is in Era's top ten. All is good ;)

Definitely a lot people automatically dismissing it because its a David Cage game same with media reviews but all the matters is most of the people that actually played it loved it.

Nov 8, 2017
Good lord it was an insane year for Sony first party studios. It's awesome to see them getting the praise and recognition they so richly deserve. Given that Era is so often a nonstop bitchfest, it's nice to be reminded of the greatness in games and that there are people out there who come to this site and actually do like video games.

Perhaps the biggest surprise in the GOTY awards is Detroit which I loved but never thought I'd see it rank so high after all the whining and complaining done in every thread about the game. Just knowing how many people are super pissed that it did so well puts a smile on my face.

God of War in a landslide was also a surprise but absolutely deserved. Toss in Astro Bot and Spider-Man performing so well and it really shows why Playstation has been knocking it out of the park this gen. Amazing.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Is there no hype for Blood & Truth? It seems like the biggest first-party VR game yet.

Nov 8, 2017
Is there no hype for Blood & Truth? It seems like the biggest first-party VR game yet.

I really enjoyed London Heist so to think what they're going to do with more time and a better understanding of PSVR is extremely exciting. There just hasn't been much in the way of updates which is fine with me if it's not close to being ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.