• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
So hes the current director, not "head" of a game atm in Cali. Thats a big deal.

Isn't Sony currently building a studio in San Diego?

I remember Michael Pachter was actually on the 1099 speculating that Sledgehammer founders would be getting forced out and was saying he thought EA should go give them money to just work on Battlefront and free Dice up for Battlefield work.
I never, EVER understood the negativity on Days Gone. I thought the technical aspects were a bit rough in earlier showings but Zombies + Sons of Anarchy is a surefire hit.

Shooting looks super satisfying and making it challenging ensures a hardcore audience, IMO.

First trailer I saw opened with a biker talking about his lost love and I immediately lost interest in it. Sad Biker Man variation on the trope just isn't that interesting to means they haven't really shown other story elements that are interesting.

That said, the technology running it is impressive for all those things on the same screen.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS game or Sony game, doesn't matter. So much cynicism lately (I really dont get it for Sony's 1P games though, MS MAYBE I understand, but Sony has a great track record). Seems like a trainwreck is what everybody is always looking for.

Maybe it's Microsoft and/or Nintendo fans who are jealous of Sony's first party games? That would make a little bit of sense, maybe. I own all three consoles but I do heavily favor Sony and PS4 but not because im a fanboy but because the vast majority of the games that they release are simply my type of game that I want to play on day one. Would love to have more exclusives on Xbox One and Switch that are my type of game but sadly, both Microsoft's and Nintendo's direction is simply not for me.

I can only imagine how that thread would've gone if it was for a popular game on here half those posts would be banned but that was my whole point of the thread so meh. We get a "hows the hype for this game" thread every other day. They rather lock a thread than seek out the problem

I agree. I usually post once and then im "out" unless someone replies to my post as it's just not worth my time to argue back and forth. There's a bunch of games that I don't like, think are overrated or simply not for me and for these games, I rarely post because why even bother? I sometimes start to type a post and then just say, fuck it, no point.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I do heavily favor Sony and PS4 but not because im a fanboy but because the vast majority of the games that they release are simply my type of game that I want to play on day one. Would love to have more exclusives on Xbox One and Switch that are my type of game.
I understand and do not blame you at all.

Nintendo's 1P lineup is highly praised but only BotW has been able to capture me. Not Odyssey, Smash, Splatoon, nothing... MS's line up is.. well, what line up? FH4, Ori, and Cuphead are great, but Halo 5 was a miss (if you're not into MP) and Gears 4 (while I thought was great tbh) was more Gears.

Sometimes a companies goals extend to their studios visions and subsequent output. Sony's studios are cinematic, story based games with almost assuredly great gameplay. No wonder you love it :P All the best qualities for a game!

Hopefully MS's renewed focus on more diverse studios/experiences/games will let you enjoy that platform more. Nintendo I can't see diversifying much though.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding thread was surprisingly negative too, Era can really have a hate boner against Sony sometimes.

They are all 2019 games though aside from the exclusives that don't have a date.
Is it mainly Sony fans being tough on Sony though? I feel it most people mean well, just overly invested/critical IMO.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Oh boi. That Daysgone thread turned out real nasty. So much hostility and drive by posts.

I hope it sells very well so Bend can keep making games.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not really feeling Days Gone personally. But I have a feeling it'll be a surprise hit. The same thing happened with HZD; as its release drew closer I just wasn't feeling it, and it ended up becoming my GoTY.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's 1P lineup is highly praised but only BotW has been able to capture me. Not Odyssey, Smash, Splatoon, nothing... MS's line up is.. well, what line up? FH4, Ori, and Cuphead are great, but Halo 5 was a miss (if you're not into MP) and Gears 4 (while I thought was great tbh) was more Gears.

Sometimes a companies goals extend to their studios visions and subsequent output. Sony's studios are cinematic, story based games with almost assuredly great gameplay. No wonder you love it :P All the best qualities for a game!

Hopefully MS's renewed focus on more diverse studios/experiences/games will let you enjoy that platform more. Nintendo I can't see diversifying much though.

I played BOTW for 20+ hours and eventually quit it. For me personally, it's simply old, outdated or obsolete in every aspect when I compare it to TW3, Horizon, AC Origins/Odyssey. BOTW has some great details like getting struck by lightning if you're wearing a metal shield but the same general premise of defeat Ganon, rescue Zelda and save Hyrule for 30 years is just nowhere near enough for me. Add in that Link is a silent protagonist which im not a fan of in general because I want voiced interaction between the protagonists and the antagonists and just all other characters in general. Add in that to attempt some shrines, you had to find an NPC who offers you a side quest that then unlocks that particular shrine. Shrines was one of the very things that I was enjoying and im like, hell no. I'm not going nuts in an open world just to attempt a shrine. Also, at 40, games have to give me a complete package as best as possible. That means gameplay, story/characters, visuals and audio which consists of music, sound effects and voice acting. Nintendo games rarely if ever hit those categories to where I can justify playing through their games. Maybe Fire Emblem but even that, im 50/50 on.

I will admit that I enjoyed DKC TF, will be picking up NSMBUD on Friday and hope for a port of SM3DW eventually. Other than these few games, I have Octopath Traveler in my backlog which is technically from Square Enix and a surprise hidden gem that I gave an 8.5/10 to and got me into the strategy RPG genre was Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. What a great game in my opinion.

I do believe that Nintendo/Ubisoft missed out on an opportunity with Starlink. It should have been a full fledged Starfox game with on foot ground combat as well. As is, I quit that after a few hours on PS4 since it was on sale but playing those few hours, I kept thinking to myself - missed opportunity. Oh well.

I do sometimes have the urge to borrow SMO from a friend at work just to check it out but at the same time, I don't think that I would play it for more than a few hours as im not a 3D platformer guy. The only franchise I have played and will see through to the end is Knack. LOL. Other than that, just R&C is in my possession and hope to play it before REmake2 hits.

As for Microsoft, I have played 4 exclusives from them. Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Quantum Break and Gears 4. The first 3 were a 7.0/10 for me with Ryse being my favorite of the three. What Microsoft ever saw in Dead Rising, I'll honestly never know because I simply don't see it. I was literally mashing the jump button to avoid all the zombies and I couldn't believe that it kept working. LOL. Gears 4 was great except for that mech shit at the end. Gears isn't Titanfall so I was like WTF?

Quite honestly, if anything, im a Ubisoft fanboy. Love Ubi!!! But Sony does release better quality games that simply hit way more times than they miss. Ubisoft does get close for me a lot of the time but there's always something missing to give it that extra boost. For FC 5, hated the character creation and silent protagonist as it literally killed any potential and awesomeness the story could have had. And yeah, there's a reason why God of War and Horizon was my game of the year for the last two years. They simply give me the best overall package.

Back to Microsoft, their direction is Game Pass (which I see as a huge negative to e perfectly honest and hope that Sony never ever releases their first party games on PS Now at launch) and online co-op/multi-player. And when they do a game that is for me, it usually turns out to just be in that 7 or so range which isn't horrible as a 7 on my scale is good but when im playing 9's and 9.5's, I simply expect more. I will give Spencer the benefit of the doubt as he's really only truly been in charge since 2018 so I'll give him next gen and see what all the studios he's acquiring actually end up doing.

As for Nintendo, it's those three games that I mentioned earlier, maybe Fire Emblem as seeing that there's like a war and huge factions battling where as I thought it was a team based group like most strategy RPG's but now, im 50/50 on it. Other than that, im really only interested in potential third party exclusives like Octopath Traveler and the previously mentioned Mario & Rabbids.

Before anything, im a gamer first and foremost but wish that Microsoft, Nintendo and some third party publishers had more games that were simply for me but I can't do anything about that so whatever it is, it is. In the end, I have Sony and Ubisoft so I can't complain. :)

Oct 25, 2017

How about that Gears 5 though? I've never been interested in Gears but the look of that is quite appealing to me.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Death Stranding - I dislike it for ONE reason only - WHAT THE FUCK IS IT????? Except for it being third person, what the hell is the point? What am I going to be doing in the game? Am I just a baby transporter? UGH. Simply want a better idea of what it is and want to see the combat and what that's all about.

I do believe that this is the game that comes out after Days Gone and before Ghost of Tsushima and TLOUP2.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about that Gears 5 though? I've never been interested in Gears but the look of that is quite appealing to me.

Hell yeah for me!!! Looks great, is said to be more wide linear in area structure like the last two Tomb Raider games and has melee combat in it which also looks great. Not to be an asshole but if Gears 5 is the next exclusive I play, it would be back to back Gears since Gears 4 was the last exclusive I actually completed. LOL.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Right?! I'm an outlier, because I actually liked all the Gears games. I admit Gears 4 is more of the same, but it brings the cinematic appeal to an approvable level.

Gears 5 though? Looks like Coalition is becoming a story-telling powerhouse.

I want you to know I took the time to read this :P

I understand though. I think it's also what you "grew up" with (in a figurative sense). My first console (that was actually exclusively mine and not me and my brother's to split) was an Original Xbox. So I tend to prefer the games MS has tend to prioritize. Obviously I outgrew that and Sony has really dominated both my time and my top 5 list lol

Anyways, like I said, hopefully as a multiplatform owner MS will do you better next gen with their renewed focus on expanding content and studios.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
Oh boi. That Daysgone thread turned out real nasty. So much hostility and drive by posts.

Very sad. 2019 is going to be a banner year for survival horror. In time people here will start to accept that, but in the meantime we'll see a lot of kicking and screaming.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Death Stranding - I dislike it for ONE reason only - WHAT THE FUCK IS IT????? Except for it being third person, what the hell is the point? What am I going to be doing in the game? Am I just a baby transporter? UGH. Simply want a better idea of what it is and want to see the combat and what that's all about.

I do believe that this is the game that comes out after Days Gone and before Ghost of Tsushima and TLOUP2.

The issue I believe that KojiPro faced is that they announced/showed the game pretty much after it was greenlit.

From what we've heard the gameplay concept is pretty unique and Kojima had it all planned out from the getgo.

And what would happen if he showed what this concept was while the game was still a few years away from completion? You can bet that it would be copied well before DS launched.

So yeah, I think they played it very smart and the marketing for it has turned it into this super mysterious and over the top game.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

Disagree, I love mystery films or stories, plus you know nearer the time you will see more of the gameplay etc. You dont need to know every inch of a game just to make a purchasing decision

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right?! I'm an outlier, because I actually liked all the Gears games. I admit Gears 4 is more of the same, but it brings the cinematic appeal to an approvable level.

I understand though. I think it's also what you "grew up" with (in a figurative sense). My first console (that was actually exclusively mine and not me and my brother's to split) was an Original Xbox. So I tend to prefer the games MS has tend to prioritize. Obviously I outgrew that and Sony has really dominated both my time and my top 5 list lol

Anyways, like I said, hopefully as a multiplatform owner MS will do you better next gen with their renewed focus on expanding content and studios.

I just played the original Gears trilogy last summer and enjoyed all three with Gears 2 being my favorite one out of the four. No interest in Judgment. gears 5 should be great.

Thanks. Once I posted it, I realized that I typed too much. Didn't look that much in this small box that you type in. Oh well. I started with NES and have owned nearly every console since then except for Turbo Grafx 16/TGCD, 32X add-on, Jaguar/CD, Neo Geo and Wii U. I outgrew Nintendo during the PlayStation era. I was too busy playing Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby, Resident Evil and eventually, Metal Gear Solid. Since Nintendo 64, I have only played and completed three to five games for each because there's just so little that appeals to me but still worth owning because when there is a game I want to play, I knew that I could so. Just like now. LOL. PlayStation 4 for the first five months of 2019 is basically a total of 11 games and 1 Switch game. LOL. I could also have as many as 30 games in general this year which would surpass the 20 I had in 2017. And I hope that Microsoft's studios can develop and release more games that interest me next gen. I am buying The Outer Worlds from Obsidian as I figure why not give them a shot as I only played the South park game but quit halfway because I had my fill of it and Alpha Protocol which I quit a few hours into. I can get a good idea of what Obsidian is all about and kind of know if they're for me or not. But it's all a wait and see.

The issue I believe that KojiPro faced is that they announced/showed the game pretty much after it was greenlit.

From what we've heard the gameplay concept is pretty unique and Kojima had it all planned out from the getgo.

And what would happen if he showed what this concept was while the game was still a few years away from completion? You can bet that it would be copied well before DS launched.

So yeah, I think they played it very smart and the marketing for it has turned it into this super mysterious and over the top game.

Disagree, I love mystery films or stories, plus you know nearer the time you will see more of the gameplay etc. You dont need to know every inch of a game just to make a purchasing decision

I agree with you guys in regards to not knowing the story and plot but gameplay wise, especially combat, I just want to see what it is. Plus, I keep reading rumors that it's going to be an online shared world which eliminates it completely unless I can play fully solo. At this point, I actually want it to release before GOT and TLOUP2 so I can then know for sure what it is. LOL.

Yall can come to this topic if you want to discuss somethings about Days Gone
https://www.resetera.com/threads/day-gone’s-real-central-oregon-locales.86777/

Wouldn't it be better to discuss Days Gone here? :P

Nov 21, 2017
Its come to my attention, Jade Raymond first got a job @ Sony when she got out of school.

I believe the current rumor is she has a yet unannounced gig. Would be cool to see her head a major studio w/ Sony.

Schofield is also the current head of an announced company. Interesting stuff.

Sony should open up a studio in Canada and put Jade Raymond in charge.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I grew up with PlayStation because crash Bandicoot and been with them since. Sometimes you bond for life without even knowing.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Look at some of those posting histories, you know the answer to that lol.
I dont have time for that :P

I feel posting history isn't always fair, though.

Look into mine and assuredly I come off as an Xbox fanboy. I think theres a big difference in defending something rather than always downplaying though, which a lot of people confuse around here.

Just because you dont dislike something doesnt mean you hate the other.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Days Gone had a Japanese woman as the protagonist in sexy attire, Era would be all about praising the game. That's probably like half the reason for Nier Automata's popularity on this place. (By the way, haven't played the game, but just making a casual observation based on the waifu bullshit culture that seems to permeate everywhere on this forum.)

I'm not gonna pretend like Days Gone is looking amazing. It has its flaws like a bland looking main protagonist, but there's also been enough stuff shown and said that makes it an interesting title to look forward to. You've got a zombie game with bikes, hordes, infected animals, some nice visuals, and apparently there's a big focus on story. There's plenty of potential here depending on how Bend executes it all. At the very least, I'm expecting decent game-play. I just hope the story and general pacing of the campaign is also very polished.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

I play mostly on Xbox but i must admit I'm very interested in Days gone..I don't understand the hate that game gets. It looks really good IMO and I think it will do well.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Why every sony thread turns to shit in this board? Am i on gamefaq or /v/ and I didn't realize?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Why every sony thread turns to shit in this board? Am i on gamefaq or /v/ and I didn't realize?

After the last great years with many very good exclusives, it looks like some users here want to see a Sony flop.
Something like The Order or Driveclub.

But imo that will not happen, Days Gone will be a well selling 80+ title and a very good game for genre fans.

For me personally it could be much better than Horizon.
But only when the game is really brutal and a hard survival game. My biggest fear about Days Gone is that it might be to easy after a few hours.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm half kidding and half serious when I say that all of those NPD threads this generation has left certain individuals bloodthirsty loco for a different outcome next gen.

Even within the last Sony first party OT that shit was getting in and out of control.

It's a repetitive cycle this community gets into. 2018 was the obvious start of it. Oh boi, 2019 is about to be something glorious to watch as everyone gets ready for the reset.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not gonna pretend like Days Gone is looking amazing. It has its flaws like a bland looking main protagonist...

can't say I've ever understood this as a complaint personally. the games grounded aesthetic in inherently limited because the people in that world are supposed to look like they could come from ours. the guy is also based on a real person (Sam Witwer), and honestly, he doesn't look any more or less bland then Joel or Ellie does from last of us, who as we know, turned out to be some of the better characters in gaming. it's such an odd thing to see as a "flaw" imo. i mean, does he look like a weathered biker gang member in a post apocalyptic world? i'd say yes...not sure what else people want him to look like? maybe you could elaborate on what you'd like him to look like for him to look less "bland" to help me understand?

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

OT: I've never played any of the Gears games, have them all on my 1X HDD but never seem to get round to them (mind you, Spider-Man (with a side order of Ketsui) has eaten most of my gaming time for weeks/months). Really hoping to get into them at some point.

Quantum Break has been terrible so far though, worse than The Order as far as I'm concerned. Woolly controls and that 'awesome' gunplay is awful. Shows how difficult it is to do cinematic gaming well.

Oct 31, 2017

Look into mine and assuredly I come off as an Xbox fanboy. I think theres a big difference in defending something rather than always downplaying though, which a lot of people confuse around here.

People mistake being fans for being fanboys. For as long as I can remember, people judge you based on the amount of consoles you own, and it's like... why? I choose to only subscribe to one or two streaming services. I choose which consoles I want, and if I'm a fan of one and not of the other, why buy both? I want to get a Switch, but I'm waiting likely till later this year. So I've had plenty on one system to spend my money on and would rather spend the other hundreds on games for my gaming system. Some people own both consoles and use Xbox for most of their gaming purchases because they own an X, but they have money to spend so they figure they'll get the PS4 exclusives they're interested in. It's all good; people spend their money however they want. I don't think anyone ever looks at a guy with Netflix but not Hulu or Prime Video or Sling TV but not Playstation Vue as a fanboy, and their exclusive content or user interface probably work into their decisions as well.

A fanboy is usually irrational and puts other products down for no reason, but if someone concludes because I own a PS4 and PSVR that I'm a fanboy or I'll defend their approach to gaming, which I think has been very beneficial to the industry considering their output, then they probably need to grow up. I'm not obligated to spend my money on everything everyone puts out to beef up my credentials with anonymous message board dwellers.

This is probably only kiiiinda related to your post and not 100% what you're talking about, but when you said that, it reminded me how annoying it is when someone talks about guys who like a product or single-console owners in a different way than they would any other product.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
If Days Gone had a Japanese woman as the protagonist in sexy attire, Era would be all about praising the game. That's probably like half the reason for Nier Automata's popularity on this place. (By the way, haven't played the game, but just making a casual observation based on the waifu bullshit culture that seems to permeate everywhere on this forum.)

I'm not gonna pretend like Days Gone is looking amazing. It has its flaws like a bland looking main protagonist, but there's also been enough stuff shown and said that makes it an interesting title to look forward to. You've got a zombie game with bikes, hordes, infected animals, some nice visuals, and apparently there's a big focus on story. There's plenty of potential here depending on how Bend executes it all. At the very least, I'm expecting decent game-play. I just hope the story and general pacing of the campaign is also very polished.

Oh thats bullshit on that nier part. Cmon, you didnt play it, dont discuss it then ffs.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
People mistake being fans for being fanboys. For as long as I can remember, people judge you based on the amount of consoles you own, and it's like... why? I choose to only subscribe to one or two streaming services. I choose which consoles I want, and if I'm a fan of one and not of the other, why buy both? I want to get a Switch, but I'm waiting likely till later this year. So I've had plenty on one system to spend my money on and would rather spend the other hundreds on games for my gaming system. Some people own both consoles and use Xbox for most of their gaming purchases because they own an X, but they have money to spend so they figure they'll get the PS4 exclusives they're interested in. It's all good; people spend their money however they want. I don't think anyone ever looks at a guy with Netflix but not Hulu or Prime Video or Sling TV but not Playstation Vue as a fanboy, and their exclusive content or user interface probably work into their decisions as well.

A fanboy is usually irrational and puts other products down for no reason, but if someone concludes because I own a PS4 and PSVR that I'm a fanboy or I'll defend their approach to gaming, which I think has been very beneficial to the industry considering their output, then they probably need to grow up. I'm not obligated to spend my money on everything everyone puts out to beef up my credentials with anonymous message board dwellers.

This is probably only kiiiinda related to your post and not 100% what you're talking about, but when you said that, it reminded me how annoying it is when someone talks about guys who like a product or single-console owners in a different way than they would any other product.
Well said, I agree.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh thats bullshit on that nier part. Cmon, you didnt play it, dont discuss it then ffs.
Don't know why you're defensive, but it's a fact this bullshit is there and prominent among members of this forum. It's not outrageous to suggest it drives some of the popularity behind Nier Automata.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
TLOU 2 coming this year according to Alanah Pearce (she deleted the tweets since)

tlou-2.jpg

tlou-part-2.jpg

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
^ Yes. Please. I would love TLoU 2 in 2019.

Days Gone: April
The Last of Us 2: Sep/Oct ?
Death Stranding: Nov (Kojima did say something like it releasing on the same year or before Akira was set).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It feels very similar to the end of last gen on gaf where the main prediction was sony going third party (lol), it really just end of gen craziness dont worry when the PS5 and next box is revealed it will all calm down and instead we will have regular console wars haha.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think The Last of Us 2 in 2019 is a relatively safe prediction. Days Gone wasn't a 2019 game originally. It got delayed. Dreams was also a 2018 game that got delayed into 2019. Ghost of Tsushima was only 50% done as of E3 2018 so is unlikely to be a 2019 game.

You're only left with The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding. And despite Sony not having release dates set until closer to completion of the title, they almost assuredly have an idea of when they want to release games for the sake of financial planning. That makes it more likely The Last of Us 2 was being planned as a 2019 title since something big from first party would have to be releasing, especially when PS5 is almost upon us.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Your post history don't come across as a fanboy though. You can tell between a fan and a fanboy, especially when some people make their agenda so obvious.

Agreed.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
I play mostly on Xbox but i must admit I'm very interested in Days gone..I don't understand the hate that game gets. It looks really good IMO and I think it will do well.

because why i think about days gone when i have the last of us 2 ?
if i want play zombie game i will play and chose the best
and it's doesn't matter this open or linear i just want take the best

Status
Not open for further replies.