• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
fellow team 2019 members, whereever you may hiding right now... it pains me to say, but the dream is over.
Unless this is a historic ruse

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
October/November 2020 most likely. That'd be 7 years after the PS4! Damn it's been this long!?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I was hoping for a spring 2020 launch, but this just gives me more time to save for a better TV upgrade.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat expected but still a tad disappointing. I would have loved for next gen to start a little earlier, though I'm still happy with the current consoles.

The PS Now subscription numbers are surprising. Considering the revenue chart that's been floating around, I figured they must be in the millions. That's damn impressive.

Off topic: the KB disappearing bug with this site is still fucking annoying.

Problem is, doing this they run the risk of losing the hardware performance advantage, which evidently they really don't want to lose.

Not that I think there's any chance of a spring launch for xbox, if there was, that wouldn't make amuch of a difference in the current power scale. Both consoles are already specced out and the most we'd see are slight tweaks to clock speeds and such.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to 'we are introducing PS4 pro after three years to help encourage enthusiasts to stay with PlayStation and not move to PC'? And now 3 years on from that they think another year waiting is fine?

And doesn't such a statement leave the door too open for MS? Seems oddly blunt and transparent. Wonder if there is wiggle room if necessary

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ah fuck, fall/ holiday 2020 then. I'd say that might rule out a 2019 full reveal too since they have 18 months not 12

I'm guessing late October to coincide with ps2s 20th anniversary

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Expected, but perfect timing for me, gives me plenty of time to upgrade my TV.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fall/winter 2020 then. Not that there was ever any reason to think otherwise.

Last edited:

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
I agree. They said ps4 would have had a shorter life cycle compared the ps3. Considered mid gen is still a ps4, they blatantly lied.
This is often overlooked by the 'I told you so/it was so obvious/it was never going to be anything but holiday 2020' crowd.

During the transition for this generation many key figures, Kaz, the likes of Yves from Ubisoft were all saying the generation had gone on too long.

Spring 2020 was a possibility, but this generation's launch was so successful I'm not sure why you'd deviate except to fix things which went wrong last time around. Nov. 2020 was always the most logical step.
Not really.

The date isn't what made this generation a success for Sony. Their product and price next to the competition made it the success.

You could launch at any time of the year and still make it a success. You won't sell as many as you would with a holiday release - but that doesn't change it's successfulness. If you launch in say a May or something, the November and December months don't disappear. You'll still sell well during that period.

You also have to factor in the competition.

Let's say Sony could release early in the year - but they want to use your logic and just replicate this generation and wait to launch in November - but Microsoft launches early in the year.

You've just given away a huge advantage for no good reason.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it makes sense for it to be end of next year, but man, the PS4's schedule is so dim for the rest of its lifespan it feels like more of a limp to the finish rather than a sprint.

Maybe they're waiting for Microsoft to announce their console's specs before they go full reveal for their own.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is often overlooked by the 'I told you so/it was so obvious/it was never going to be anything but holiday 2020' crowd.

During the transition for this generation many key figures, Kaz, the likes of Yves from Ubisoft were all saying the generation had gone on too long.

Not really.

The date isn't what made this generation a success for Sony. Their product and price next to the competition made it the success.

You could launch at any time of the year and still make it a success. You won't sell as many as you would with a holiday release - but that doesn't change it's successfulness. If you launch in say a May or something, the November and December months don't disappear. You'll still sell well during that period.

You also have to factor in the competition.

Let's say Sony could release early in the year - but they want to use your logic and just replicate this generation and wait to launch in November - but Microsoft launches early in the year.

You've just given away a huge advantage for no good reason.
The "huge advantage" is overestimated. But i know ERA believes otherwise.
So I actually WANT Xbox to come out first, just to see if I can be proven right or otherwise. First move advantage just isn't a thing, as far as I can tell. But I need more evidence to back it up. So if MS do release early, I would appreciate it for the scientific curiosity alone.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I love how open Sony is about their gaming business now.
But they also have to. As that is the biggest part today, and investors will ask questions about this stuff.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
That's good to know. Hoping for a September or November 2020 release especially if Sony returns to E3 next year which im fully expecting them to do.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I still believe end of 2020 but realistically speaking the next 12 months takes us to the end of April 2020 so May 2020 is still a possibility. They seem to have chosen specific language to leave that possibility open.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Can anyone explain a point from this tweet

In the FY2019 Forecast it lists the following as a negative

"Decrease in contribution from highly-profitable first-party software titles"

I mean I know Spider-Man and GOW sold well in FY2018 but does this imply stuff like the TLoU2 and others wont be releasing in FY2019 or that they somehow think they'll preform worse in terms of sales coupled along with the already released Days Gone?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I know Spider-Man and GOW sold well in FY2018 but does this imply stuff like the TLoU2 and others wont be releasing in FY2019 or that they somehow think they'll preform worse in terms of sales coupled along with the already released Days Gone?

Presumably it means that TLOU2 and Death Stranding are not happening between now and March.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I think they're quite reasonably expecting that 'TLoU2 and others' probably won't meet or beat the performance of first party last year (GoW2 + Spiderman). Last year was an exceptional year, it would be pretty ballsy to predict an improvement on that.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Presumably it means that TLOU2 and Death Stranding are not happening between now and March.
You are reading too much into this imo, all that it is saying is they expect less profits from first party, that doesn't necessarily mean all of them are not launching. I am pretty certain in thinking TLOU2 being released this year