• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Dude what are you even arguing. On the XSX you need to have the games suspended to be able to switch between them. On the PS5, assuming we are understanding this correctly, you could do the same thing regardless of whether the game is suspended or not. Period. Also, because the game doesn't need to be suspended, it is not limited to 4 or 5 games, but can be done with whatever games are active on your SSD.

Isn't this essentially six of one, half a dozen of the other? Well, I mean, anything that is on the SSD can be accessed thus, which is going to be a limited number anyway (unless you have lots and lots of smaller titles).

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the fonts are from the XboxOneUI? they look pretty similar, actually it looks like the Xbox UI.

Unless something drastic changed since last I looked at the Xbox UI, they use Segoe for their UI, and this looks more like an Avenir to my eye. Unless you just mean that they're both fairly standard sans serifs fonts, then yes - they are.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Isn't this essentially six of one, half a dozen of the other? Well, I mean, anything that is on the SSD can be accessed thus, which is going to be a limited number anyway (unless you have lots and lots of smaller titles).

True. I guess the usefulness is mainly having little videos playing for each game, being streamed live from the servers. Kinda like phone widgets

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
imagine booting straight into a fighting game ranked match from the OS

I believe thats what the patent is describing. This "Tile" is whatever "shortcut" you want to create. Opening a ranked match in a fightning game for example might be a 6-7 button process to start. So this would in theory eliminate all that to a single press of the "Tile" you created.

I use Excel a lot for work and Macros are basically what this sounds like. You record a Macro and enter your inputs once completed when yoy run the macro it will play your inputs feom start to finish.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Going from the PS5 OS to seeing my game character on screen with one button press or going directly into my favorite game mode in something like CoD instantly would be fantastic.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
If this is accurate, where it might have an advantage would be if you get an invite to join a friend in a game that you don't have suspended at all and quickly hoping in with them.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
This is going to kill the Start Menu for all games isn't it. I imagine the OS UI will be the start menus for all games with even more information.

Well I hope the UI is great, that concept above looks adequate. We should probably be able to access start menu options such as settings here right. Like set your preferences outside of the game itself. Kinda cool and a good way to flex that SSD.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
This is going to kill the Start Menu for all games isn't it. I imagine the OS UI will be the start menus for all games with even more information.

Well I hope the UI is great, that concept above looks adequate. We should probably be able to access start menu options such as settings here right. Like set your preferences outside of the game itself. Kinda cool and a good way to flex that SSD.
I think this could be way bigger than that. I don't much care about the main title menu, but potentially the menus beyond that. Chapter select and multiplayer modes. Maybe not every granular filter and setting, but shortcuts to "continue" "last mode played" "popular now" "join your friend X" ones.

Uzume

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine buying loot boxes directly from the OS. Maybe I'm too negative but I think the first mind come to some gaming companies is this is a new and faster way to sholve all those micro transctions into player's face.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.
Sounds like the perfect daddy console.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's contractual obligations to display various middleware logos on starting the game up?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how this would handle splashscreens. I remember how people were excited that Killzone Shadowfall launches directly into the menu but it's still something very few games do.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
There are games out there with their in-store adverts on the home screen for a game. If you think they'll be ok with this feature skipping these things then good luck with that.
What if they were combining this with that idea they had a while back for using A.I. to determine when to best offer micro-transactions and whatnot to players? Not sure whether Sony would place restrictions on this in this sense, but imagine if companies could put their ads in these tiles as a means of "helping" the player.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
this sounds like a great feature for casual players. I don't need it as much now, but when my kids were younger this would have been amazing. I don't know how many times I held off on playing cause I wasn't sure if it was gonna be worth starting up to play.
I am still really excited for quick start though. Sometimes if I only have half an hour to play I won't bother with booting up the PS4 cause it can be 5 or more minutes before I'm playing.
PS4 in standby, with a suspended game gets you pretty fast into it, right where you left it already, when you resume the PS4. Don't know when i completely powered down my PS4 the last time.

If feature turns out like in the wired article, that would be really great for short gaming stints.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 in standby, with a suspended game gets you pretty fast into it, right where you left it already, when you resume the PS4. Don't know when i completely powered down my PS4 the last time.

If feature turns out like in the wired article, that would be really great for short gaming stints.

I only use standby if I know I'm coming back soon or I have to walk away when I can't save. I know it doesn't use much electricity in standby, I try never to waste any electricity.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The dead speak!
Windows-8-live-tiles.jpg

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.

From the early info, Sony seems to have designed their system around accessibility and QOL features. Specifically focusing on the way people consume content (personalized, short jump in and out play sessions, instant/no waiting, live and social, etc). Makes sense why they placed such a heavy focus on the SSD and super fast/flexible access to that data.

Also; not sure if I'm remembering correctly but wasn't this type of functionality also rumored to be paired with an enhanced share feature. So players could hypothetically create and share preset game states or bite sized sections of their play through.

For example I share with you a section of game I played (say I send to you as a challenge), you get to play through it with all of my same settings/stats/character/etc, and I get a notification when you complete it. Or maybe I send all my friends the same preset game state for a multiplayer game, and then we can all jump in instantly together by just selecting a tile on the PS5 main menu (a tile that is updated with live activity and events no less).

Makes the PS4 experience sound like a clunky time wasting mess by comparison.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
From the early info, Sony seems to have designed their system around accessibility and QOL features. Specifically focusing on the way people consume content (personalized, short jump in and out play sessions, instant/no waiting, live and social, etc). Makes sense why they placed such a heavy focus on the SSD and super fast/flexible access to that data.

Also; not sure if I'm remembering correctly but wasn't this type of functionality also rumored to be paired with an enhanced share feature. So players could hypothetically create and share preset game states or bite sized sections of their play through.

For example I share with you a section of game I played (say I send to you as a challenge), you get to play through it with all of my same settings/stats/character/etc, and I get a notification when you complete it. Or maybe I send all my friends the same preset game state for a multiplayer game, and then we can all jump in instantly together by just selecting a tile on the PS5 main menu (a tile that is updated with live activity and events no less).

Makes the PS4 experience sound like a clunky time wasting mess by comparison.

This crazy thing about this from my perspective is that the PS4 experience absolutely blew away the PS3 experience for me.

Do you all remember how tragically slow it was to back out into the main menu on the PS3?

I'm very happy from the potential of them to double down on this kinds of features as long as the performance stays smooth.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it could be like suspend/resume. Launch the game once "properly", then those quick menu options get added to jump back in quickly.
Or have all those logos outside the game, like on the background or above the tiles when you scroll down. I imagine there are tons of ways to solve that problem and keep companies happy.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
SSDs already did good things for my game backlog, games that I was too annoyed with long load times. This though, this would decimate backlogs with real pick up and play, impulse gaming. Even with a SSD loading up Dragon Age Inquisition and Anthem were slogs, because there was likely caps on how fast things would be ready (gotta play this video that was here to mask loading, and stuff for example). Even then the current SSDs for PC aren't made full use of so I might as well have been using a SATA SSD instead of NVMEs.

I can't wait to see this PS5 stuff. Oh boy, please have games ditch the old HDD, especially on PC. More speedy no loading game design. Path of Exile is almost there. One thing I loved about Diablo 3 was how fast you could get in other people's games. I guess all of the assets are loaded in memory, it always felt so instant even on HDD.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Sounds very interesting. Would like to see how this turns out.

Would love to boot into ranked matches in SFVI straight from the console UI.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
What I understand is Series X will have the game paused and you can jump back in there, on that exactly moment. PS5 will have a more flexible solution, you dont need the game paused and you can jump straight into a determined part of the game (jump straight into an deathmatch matchmaking on COD or jump straight into the next Gran Turismo race on my campaign or jump straight into the next Uncharted mission...'. Apparently it doesn't necessairly need to be a '1 option' thing either, you can have a 'menu of options' of where you want to go. On top of that I think it is a given that PS5 will have at least 1 game suspended in the memory just like the PS4 has and I'd argue that it really is enough for me when you consider you can have all these 'jump straight to...' options for all games available.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Are these basically shortcuts that can launch directly into a specific part of the game?
That's more how I've read it than it being about save states.
So you can choose to booth straight to matchmaking or multiplayer, perhaps the interface even can see which level you are upto so it can go straight to that loading screen and bypass some other gumph.
Rather than having a bunch of save states floating around (which are going to be sizeable % each of that SSD)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me think of OnLive, where you could see thumbnails of live games going on and you could jump in to spectate, but here you can jump in to play. This would be awesome for MMORPGs, or some long waiting to start game like a MOBA (if MOBAs were popular on console). I'd set up Street Fighter to be looking for a challenger while I'm playing a single player game, then switch when I get the notification. This is kind of what I do on PC, only that I'm actually running two games on PC or just doing other things like reading the forums, or watching netflix.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I think people think too much (at least solely) in the direction of 'game saves' & suspending only.
Developers should be able to put a lot of creative functionality within these tiles (which I suppose uses HTML5 like a lot of components seen in the PS4 OS) that taps into the game save data as well as whatever's on the developers servers.

Maybe for Football Manager 2021 there's a real-time gameplay element where certain buy/sell player actions can be done straight within the PS5 OS.
Maybe GTA6 has a 'drugwars' aspect where there's live drug trading prices and gameplay functions right in the tile (no need to boot game).
Gran Turismo 7 can have a live-countdown to the next big tournament finale and a button will open the Live feed video.
Amnesia Rebirth's tile might suddenly start to act weird at midnight and the witching hour...

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This sounds exactly like Live Tiles in Windows and Windows phone hahaha. Literally exactly. Amazing. It's a good feature, if underused on windows. Hope it is supported, if Sony actually decides to use it.

bdsams
(Jez doesn't come by, right?)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think people think too much (at least solely) in the direction of 'game saves' & suspending only.
Developers should be able to put a lot of creative functionality within these tiles (which I suppose uses HTML5 like a lot of components seen in the PS4 OS) that taps into the game save data as well as whatever's on the developers servers.

Maybe for Football Manager 2021 there's a real-time gameplay element where certain buy/sell player actions can be done straight within the PS5 OS.
Maybe GTA6 has a 'drugwars' aspect where there's live drug trading prices and gameplay functions right in the tile (no need to boot game).
Gran Turismo 7 can have a live-countdown to the next big tournament finale and a button will open the Live feed video.
Amnesia Rebirth's tile might suddenly start to act weird at midnight and the witching hour...
That all kind of sounds like a nightmare. Do we need our consoles to be more like mobile phones and constantly trying to grab our attention and pull us in? It's one thing if it's information and a shortcut. It's another thing entirely if it's another ad for a game I already have on the home screen.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
What you're both describing the PS4 already has, but what's described in the OP goes well beyond it. Essentially it would allow you to load specific modes, chapters or whatever else from a game, without even needing to have the game be suspended. Essentially you have more fine grain freedom to quickly load specific parts of games as and when you need them, even if you haven't already been running it.
That sounds great but like a lot of these OS features I feel like will be ignored greatly especially after launch.

Still remember all the features they had in the PS4 OS that just got ignored after the first year of the console.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds petty awesome and it's on a per-game basis, which is more advanced than Windows. In GTA V when you boot up the game it drops you in a random location but with this, you can just select the activity you want from the OS and with no load time you are in the location to start a mission you selected.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The way a small chip has more than the power of the CPU itself is simple, it can only do one thing; in this case decompress a Kraken stream. It's the entire point of having dedicated hardware.

You're probably thinking of the Tempest audio engine, the dedicated SSD decompressor equates to 9 Zen 2 cores.
youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.
He also talks about the extra DMA engines there too, which I'm not sure how they're unique since DMA a given on any modern CPU, but he says it's worth another core or two of copy performance. I'll easily admit I'm missing some nuance of how DMA works here, since that's what I expect from a DMA engine. Maybe they've brought back something like proper scatter-gather DMA so the CPU doesn't have to manage every 4 KB chunk, which would be pretty awesome.

Because here it means you don't need to go through the CPU to acess RAM.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Because here it means you don't need to go through the CPU to acess RAM.

Not having to go through the CPU to get data into RAM is the textbook definition of DMA and it's in every CPU above low-end Arduinos. Cerny was talking about the PS5 having an extra DMA engine like it was special, and I was curious how it's special. Oh well, rewatching it he doesn't make as big a deal as I remember, so maybe he's just explaining it like he did with the segment on how hard disk drives work.