• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So this is comparable to emulator save states right? that would be pretty awesome, and something that i had speculated on before the second wired article. it just makes a lot of sense if the game loads so fast. You could see this as an alternative option for multi game suspend where instead of copying the whole game ram data into the SSD like what MS does, you would just load up your save states (which should take roughly 1 second).

This ia what I really want from next gen.
I hate having to juggle between different games because they take so long to load and after a while I forget what I had to do to progress. That's why I usually only focus on one game.
Systems like this or multi-suspend-and-resume with sub 10s loading times are what I'm really excited about.

See, this is what I'm most excited about. Have been since they both revealed they're using SSDs.

Can't wait for the next gen consoles!!!

Last edited:

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Shit like this is much more interesting for me than raw power. If I want raw power I would've gotten a pc. What I want is a different experience, elegant and fast. Also games, great games.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
God quickstart options for RPGs should be mandatory.

Yep. Just having a "Continue" button on the home screen for every game I'm already playing would be amazing.

Just goes straight into my latest save with the press of a button and I'm in. I really doubt that third parties are going to like this though. They're going to want to shove all those logos in our faces. Same reason they ignored the PS4 being able to (sort of) do this.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Just having a "Continue" button on the home screen for every game I'm already playing would be amazing.

Just goes straight into my latest save with the press of a button and I'm in. I really doubt that third parties are going to like this though. They're going to want to shove all those logos in our faces. Same reason they ignored the PS4 being able to (sort of) do this.
Honestly we should have save states like the PC has had for eons.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
But you understand XSX is 2.5 gig/s and ps5 is 5 gig/s not 40 gig/s. The gulf isnt what your implying there. And as far as hassle, if I can restart my whole console and still be at the exact point of a game I left off without rebooting, menu, load save, and then replay to the point I left off. The latter sounds more of a "hassle".

Dude what are you even arguing. On the XSX you need to have the games suspended to be able to switch between them. On the PS5, assuming we are understanding this correctly, you could do the same thing regardless of whether the game is suspended or not. Period. Also, because the game doesn't need to be suspended, it is not limited to 4 or 5 games, but can be done with whatever games are active on your SSD.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
We do not do this, partly, because it is not fast and practical.
Right. If I'm in the middle of a mission with Spiderman and I get a "help invite" from a friend in Battlefield, I currently don't really do it. With this I may be able to quickly hop into their game in seconds, play a couple of missions, then go right back to my Spiderman mission and wrap it up.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds pretty slick. Man, the QoL improvements next gen are going to make it hard to play older consoles.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'd take the beefier GPU than saving 20 seconds on a 3 hours COD session to be quite honest. This would only be very interesting in a case where you jump game every 10-15 minutes, which isn't something people do. A few seconds of load time isn't a game changer in the grand scheme of things.
I do want to jump games sometimes and loading is a deterrent. But the bigger problem is the competition with other forms of entertainment. TV is 1 button and 3 seconds away and streaming shows are getting huge budgets now. Phone entertainment is instant and always available. Even Switch is much faster to get in than PS4. Switch killed my PS4 time and 90% of the reason is load in time/effort. PS5 SSD sounds like it's getting PlayStation back in the game.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I do want to jump games sometimes and loading is a deterrent. But the bigger problem is the competition with other forms of entertainment. TV is 1 button and 3 seconds away and streaming shows are getting huge budgets now. Phone entertainment is instant and always available. Even Switch is much faster to get in than PS4. Switch killed my PS4 time and 90% of the reason is load in time/effort. PS5 SSD sounds like it's getting PlayStation back in the game.

I dunno, my TV takes longer to boot up into a streaming show than my Ps4 does these days.

Switch does load very quickly though, I greatly enjoy that.

Dec 31, 2017
So you are telling me you'd rather play a game like Witcher 3 with shorty graphics than in glorious 4K just to save a minute of your day? I'm sorry but even I can't believe that. Even With work and 2 kids and barely any time for myself I'll tAke the time to put in the 4K disc and wait to watch a movie as it's much better quality than your fast access streaming. People don't pay high prices on consoles to shave off seconds, they pay for the best experience, and that comes from what you get on the screen.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cool idea. If it takes off, I'm hoping other companies are able to get around the patent.

This is different from multiple suspended game states in that the tile for the game will lay game progress over it... Like, for instance:

You have your Red Dead Redemption 2 tile, but instead of it just showing the box art for RDR2, it has a stylized screenshot of the game, plus the chapter/town you're in, plus the game progress, and maybe like Arthur's character stats, or something.

Or, for Ori and the Blind Forest (I know, MS game), it shows stylized screenshot of the world you're in "The Glade," your current objective "Find the Wisp" and your game percentage "38%" or something.

A suspended Game State will likely just show you the "last" screen of your active game. It's a toss up for which one is more useful, but I like the idea.

So you are telling me you'd rather play a game like Witcher 3 with shorty graphics than in glorious 4K just to save a minute of your day? I'm sorry but even I can't believe that. Even With work and 2 kids and barely any time for myself I'll tAke the time to put in the 4K disc and wait to watch a movie as it's much better quality than your fast access streaming. People don't pay high prices on consoles to shave off seconds, they pay for the best experience, and that comes from what you get on the screen.

I don't think the user is saying that ("shorty graphics over glorious 4K"), but recognizing that cutting down the friction between "Sitting down on your couch and actually being in the game" should continue to be a goal like it has been for this gen. Instant Resume is the single biggest feature from this current generation for me. 4K, 30fps, whatever else, yeah, that stuffs all fine for me, but instant resume has made a major tangible difference in the games I choose to play. Being able to sit on my couch and be playing RDR2 instantly where I left off, within about 5-10 seconds of sitting down, is a major quality of life improvement from last gen, where you'd have to turn on the console, wait ~15 sec for it to boot up, launch RDR, sit in a 60 second loading screen, and then start your game in an arbitrary location of wherever your last save file was, as opposed to this current gen where it's sit down and basically pick up playing exactly where you were within about 10 seconds. Sure, it's a difference of 1 or 2 minutes in the grand scheme of things, but it's a quality of life improvement that influences what games I play. If I have to sit through 2 minutes of loading just to get into a game and start playing, I'm much more likely to play the game that I can start instantly.

And, so far, there's been no significant compromises between "glorious 4k" and instant resume.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
Right. If I'm in the middle of a mission with Spiderman and I get a "help invite" from a friend in Battlefield, I currently don't really do it. With this I may be able to quickly hop into their game in seconds, play a couple of missions, then go right back to my Spiderman mission and wrap it up.
Isn't this what MS has showcased the other day though where you can switch to several games at once though? This just sounds like Sony's implementation.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully the improve their infrastructure on digital downloads drastically. The difference between Steam and PSN is night and day. That's what I want to hear. Some new tech to make downloading seamless.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
So this is comparable to emulator save states right? that would be pretty awesome, and something that i had speculated on before the second wired article. it just makes a lot of sense if the game loads so fast. You could see this as an alternative option for multi game suspend where instead of copying the whole game ram data into the SSD like what MS does, you would just load up your save states (which should take roughly 1 second).

To my knowledge, Save states work exactly like MS' solution, a snapshot of the ram.

If Sony isn't doing that, they would still have to load all the game data, which would assuredly take more than 1 second (3 seconds to fill the ram uncontested, but the SSD is also competing with the CPU and decompressing potentially thousands of tiny files).

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, it sounds potentially really cool.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This is in fact an amazing example if true.
How many times have I not responded to an invitation because I was in the middle of something important in my game and would need to restart if I left?
Its not something that will bring better Ray Tracing or more fps, but it will change gamer's behavior forever.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
To my knowledge, Save states work exactly like MS' solution, a snapshot of the ram.

If Sony isn't doing that, they would still have to load all the game data, which would assuredly take more than 1 second (3 seconds to fill the ram uncontested, but the SSD is also competing with the CPU and decompressing potentially thousands of tiny files).

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, it sounds potentially really cool.

I don't think the CPU does any of the decompression anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
This would be cool if utilized. I remember how they used to tout when the PS4 was launching how games like killzone could be launched and in a mp game within seconds. I was blown away by that feature and it seemed like the only game that ever took advantage of it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Isn't this what MS has showcased the other day though where you can switch to several games at once though? This just sounds like Sony's implementation.
Something similar yes.

My point was that it can be a paradigm shift in how we play together, regardless of method of implementation under the hood. I like Sony's idea of surfacing events through shortcuts, more or less actionable notifications like smartphones do now. But I also like MS's ideas shown of multiple games and quick hops between them. What remains is whether and how devs implement it, because as I mentioned above, if it requires server logins that are currently multiple minutes long, it removes a huge amount of the perceived advantage. And with more and more games going to the "live" model, even in single player, this could be a huge drawback to a new feature set.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a little off topic but now that these consoles have SSD's and some power....

Might be a hot take but PLEASE bring back a better version of the Xbox One snap functionality. That thing was honestly great, admittedly more on paper than in action.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
It's not just load times though, but pop in with respect to asset density or quality (draw distance, textures etc).

Conversely, I reckon XSX games have a higher average resolution.
Pop-in is rare in most games today. You're predicting pop-in on a SSD over 40 times faster whats currently being used? Reaching

gregorramz

Mar 24, 2020
It is a little bit different than MS' solution of quick resume. As far as I understood, in this method you can load up certain games' modes or your save games from scratch, it does not matter if the game has been loaded up before or not. On the other hand quick resume lets you play the game from the instance where you left off.

However, I do not think these two modes are mutually exclusive and I am mostly sure both console will support both methods.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Dude what are you even arguing. On the XSX you need to have the games suspended to be able to switch between them. On the PS5, assuming we are understanding this correctly, you could do the same thing regardless of whether the game is suspended or not. Period. Also, because the game doesn't need to be suspended, it is not limited to 4 or 5 games, but can be done with whatever games are active on your SSD.
I don't see how the two bolded statements can be true. As an example, imagine an open world game such as GTA VI, running on both the PS5 and XSX. On XSX, you can quickly switch to a different game, and when you do that the entire state of your current session in GTA VI is stored on the SSD. And because it's the entire state, when you resume you'll be taken back to the exact thing you were doing before you switched games.

With that in mind, how would the same thing be possible on PS5 (the ability to get back to the exact thing you were doing in this open world) using this system? It seems to me that the best thing Rockstar could do, would be to implement a shortcut that allows you to instantly load up your most recent save. Convenient sure, but it's hardly the same thing.

Or maybe it is possible. But in that case you'd still require multiple gigabytes of data to be stored on the SSD. In which case, this absolutely would be limited to a handful of games at a time - just like on XSX.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pop-in is rare in most games today. You're predicting pop-in on a SSD over 40 times faster whats currently being used? Reaching

It really isn't that rare, especially in the games that really push things, eg Horizon Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4 etc. And the quality and density of assets will be much higher next gen (thus greater in file size), so it'll all scale.

People need to stop looking at the games of today, as exemplary of the sorts of data and processing that will be required for the games of tomorrow.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I don't think the CPU does any of the decompression anymore.

Even if decompression itself is handled completely by some on-board pipeline (which would still be hard to believe, since there's no way some small chip could have close to the power of the cpu itself), all game code and assets will likely still need to be accessed by the CPU, which is what controls all of the asset management.

Sony finding a solution to nearly eliminate initial load times would be awesome, either way. Even if initial boot still takes 3-5 seconds+, if they can somehow enable that for every game, and give users options of what mode they want to directly go to, that could be amazing.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think having some of the in-game menu options on the OS level would be awesome. Like, jump straight into multiplayer matchmaking, load a save and jump into it, start a specific chapter,..etc.

For example, I wanna play that heist mission in GTA V. I can play it straight away instead of loading into the game, pausing, choosing the mission and waiting for loading again.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Even if decompression itself is handled completely by some on-board pipeline (which would still be hard to believe, since there's no way some small chip could have close to the power of the cpu itself), all game code and assets will likely still need to be accessed by the CPU, which is what controls all of the asset management.

Sony finding a solution to nearly eliminate initial load times would be awesome, either way. Even if initial boot still takes 3-5 seconds+, if they can somehow enable that for every game, and give users options of what mode they want to directly go to, that could be amazing.

Cerny already talked about this. PS5 has a dedicated SSD decompressor with ~ 8 Jaguar cores worth of power.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, kinda feels like you missed a meeting.

With the console war raging on about faster SSD Vs 20% power.

I expect (network stuff aside) no loading times on PS5 to reach 5 seconds.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I have heard some fascinating things about the PS5's operating system like this - one of the pitches they've been making to developers is "playing a PS5 game should be as easy as Netflix." They want to make players feel like they can load up the game immediately and know exactly how much time a given activity is going to take them. They want people to feel more inclined to play in short bursts rather than only wanting to turn on the console when they have a few hours to spare.

Holy shit I never thought about it like that. That would be awesome. And a huge, huge selling point (I think).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
a lot of you are forgetting the fact that people can install or uninstall parts of the games too, so you could keep the size down say you dont play the single player part anymore, vs multiplayer etc.

We've had this available this gen, but nobody bothered to implement it.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

The way a small chip has more than the power of the CPU itself is simple, it can only do one thing; in this case decompress a Kraken stream. It's the entire point of having dedicated hardware.

Cerny already talked about this. PS5 has a dedicated SSD decompressor with ~ 8 Jaguar cores worth of power.
You're probably thinking of the Tempest audio engine, the dedicated SSD decompressor equates to 9 Zen 2 cores.
youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.
He also talks about the extra DMA engines there too, which I'm not sure how they're unique since DMA a given on any modern CPU, but he says it's worth another core or two of copy performance. I'll easily admit I'm missing some nuance of how DMA works here, since that's what I expect from a DMA engine. Maybe they've brought back something like proper scatter-gather DMA so the CPU doesn't have to manage every 4 KB chunk, which would be pretty awesome.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The way a small chip has more than the power of the CPU itself is simple, it can only do one thing; in this case decompress a Kraken stream. It's the entire point of having dedicated hardware.

You're probably thinking of the Tempest audio engine, the dedicated SSD decompressor equates to 9 Zen 2 cores.
youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.
He also talks about the extra DMA engines there too, which I'm not sure how they're unique since DMA a given on any modern CPU, but he says it's worth another core or two of copy performance. I'll easily admit I'm missing some nuance of how DMA works here, since that's what I expect from a DMA engine. Maybe they've brought back something like proper scatter-gather DMA so the CPU doesn't have to manage every 4 KB chunk, which would be pretty awesome.
Yeah, thanks for the correction. I think Sony did a good job with the dedicated hardware here. Does a lot to alleviate the CPU.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I love live tiles. Probably the only good thing to come out of the Windows 8 disaster.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna dispute that for online games. But I primarily play single player and that's a hell of a feature for me!

Would there really be much of an advantage giving up the disk space for the save states of 5/6 games, versus just having the "Load Last Save" option for those games exposed straight through the system UI? I don't see one being much faster than the other in terms of getting back into the game, but one is certainly more costly in terms of disk space.

Or am I missing something about how the multiple game suspend works?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Another way to look at it is that they are pretty much just placing links into the game menu but right in the OS.
So these options can be accessed from
maxresdefault.jpg

This menu

Ht5TXi9.jpg

You don't need to have suspended a game to continue where you left off. You just simply select "continue" from the OS UI to be back at where you left off. It is brilliant and i'm sure a lot of thought has been put into it just like they did for PlayGo and their Disc authoring tool which was criminally underutilized this gen.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'll wait though whatever I have to for that ultra high end experience I have been looking forward to, sure. There just aren't that many of those experiences, at least not enough to fill all my entertainment time. Also I'm not always in the mood for an all attention encompassing epic game. If it's an indie title, mid budget title, or old game port then load in time is really critical because the experience isn't better on the high end console.