• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
PS5 back compat with all previous generations would lock me into Sony's camp for good. I recently switched over to Xbox for the X, but this would def bring me back.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
I have 130 physical PS3 games that I'd love to play with a new controller on a new console. Much of the PS3 library has aged beautifully since it's in HD.

My PS3 is 10 years old and my controllers creak to all hell.

The massive file sizes make emulation not ideal and some games really need those patches. From a game preservation stand point, I hope they're able to do something for PS3 games.
This doesn't solve the "new console" part, but it solves your "new controller" issue.

For about $20, buy a Mayflash and you can use any controller you want on your PS3. I use a DS4 and this makes the home button work, rumble works, everything. All wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Magic-NS-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B079B5KHWQ/

Or you can just use a DS4 without an adapter, but the home button and rumble won't work.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
Trophies have seemingly hindered the "PS2 Classics on PS4" program. They seem to be too much effort for either Sony or the original devs/pubs (or both), and thus so few games are available, and even many of Sony's own IP are missing. They do seem to be an issue for retro game releases. It's a shame too, as I really liked their implementation in the few PS2 Classics we did get, but ultimately if they're going to prevent classic games from being made available on a current platform, I'd rather they weren't mandated honestly. Maybe offer them as DLC for specific games where Sony was willing to go the extra mile.
Every time the small PS2 Classics library comes up, people make this trophy claim. While it may be a contributing factor, it's most certainly waaaaay down the list, after compatibility issues with the emulator and licensing.

If you've never taken a look at the games that the built-in emulator can actually play and which ones it has major issues with, it's worth a peek: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

There's a reason why we've gotten all those Rockstar games and never Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories, and it ain't trophies.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Just him? You think? Rpcs3 on PC have more than 1000 games playable and is done just with reverse engineering (loooooot more complicated)
Here I'm not downplaying .Cerny or his CV (im taking about the SW side of it....on the hw the topic would be different) think that we don't have bc because of a Sony corporate choice ...not because of incapability of doing it
They aren't interested in developing u ternally emulators ...the fact that inside the ps classic they used a freeware (pcsx rearmed) emulator should tell lots

There are signs of working ps1 and ps2 emulators in the ps4 firmware.

With that said, if anyone can make w working emulator for ps3, playing all games is Sony and Cerny.

With this I will end the discussion as im sensing some hostility from you.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
If this is true, then I'll save whatever I have on me right now to get one in the future.

I was bummed out that the PS4 was devoid of any BC, especially when Sony hyped the system up as the be-all end-all of game consoles. This'll be a major game changer if it's legit (PLS)!

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's what I'm asking for though my friend. Is it documented anywhere in a source or article or anywhere that they are difficult to implement? I remember they are using a sort of patented tech for older games and trophies. Personally, I wouldn't even buy the games because someone like me already has the old PS2 games and can easily use an emulator on my PC to play them. The novelty at this point is literally:

1) Digital Library
2) Trophies

However, I'm a different kind of gamer to the majority. You enjoy just having the games. I enjoy having and finishing them 100%.
I think there may have actually been some comments on it by a dev, but I'm not sure. You may want to ask in the PS2 Classics thread. That's where I heard of this.
Every time the small PS2 Classics library comes up, people make this trophy claim. While it may be a contributing factor, it's most certainly waaaaay down the list, after compatibility issues with the emulator and licensing.

If you've never taken a look at the games that the built-in emulator can actually play and which ones it has major issues with, it's worth a peek: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

There's a reason why we've gotten all those Rockstar games and never Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories, and it ain't trophies.
So, if this is the reason that PS2 Classics can't be played on PS4, it means Sony either simply doesn't care or is incapable of working out emulation. That's a bad look for them, and bad news for everyone in this thread hopeful for a fully BC PS5, I'd say.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, if they can emulate all previous PlayStation consoles, and PSP and Vita too? That would be so huge going into next gen, definitely a nice bullet point for marketing with their huge catalog of past games.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would they be able to somehow implement trophy support somehow?, any possibility of tech enhancements?... So many questions.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think it's very very dangerous to get our hopes up sony will do anything in terms of BC for PS5...even with PS4. I think there was a sony patent for a 'system on a dongle' for BC support during the neoGAF era. Mark Cerny might be pushing for BC, but Sony as a corporation has been actively turning away from it.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Well, we obviously don't know anything yet, but if Cerny is involved, that gives some weight to this. I'd like to think that maybe they have been quietly beavering away at a major solution and a push for BC that includes previous generations. It would provide the groundwork for all things PlayStation going forward and that would be hard to beat.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think it's very very dangerous to get our hopes up sony will do anything in terms of BC for PS5...even with PS4. I think there was a sony patent for a 'system on a dongle' for BC support during the neoGAF era. Mark Cerny might be pushing for BC, but Sony as a corporation has been actively turning away from it.
I totally agree. Sony has consistently shown they just don't care for their legacy content this gen, from their statements on the subject, to the total lack of BC on PS4, to the limited, mismanaged, and now seemingly dead PS2 Classics program, and finally the recent blunder and utter failure that was the PS1 Classic. Everyone here is just assuming that with a new gen, Sony will want to leap into BC, when they have done nothing in the past 7 years to suggest they care about this feature.

I do personally think we will see PS4 BC on PS5 (this could very well be what the patent is referring to, as no actual platforms are specified here to my knowledge), but only because it makes business sense. PS1-3 will remain left behind as they were this gen. I hate to be so pessimistic on the subject, especially when I would very much love to believe the opposite is true, but ultimately I don't think it is worth anyone getting their hopes up over this. Not yet at least.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I highly doubt Sony is capable of creating a PS2/PS3 emulator (or VM) with 99% compatibility out of the box. PSX and PS4 are doable, but for PS2 and PS3 I think they will have to take the MS approach and specifically optimize each game. If they have to go back and "re-release" games as BC titles, then the PS5 will never be able to play everything due to licensing issues.

I love my 60GB PS3 but I have no faith in Sony when it comes to stuff like this.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The AI texture upgrade thing sounds awesome - aren't people already doing that with emulators on PC?

If so, is that even patentable given it's something that already exists in the public domain? Or are they doing things slightly differently?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I have 130 physical PS3 games that I'd love to play with a new controller on a new console. Much of the PS3 library has aged beautifully since it's in HD.

My PS3 is 10 years old and my controllers creak to all hell.

The massive file sizes make emulation not ideal and some games really need those patches. From a game preservation stand point, I hope they're able to do something for PS3 games.

I can't go back to the PS3 pad. I only ever use a PS4 pad on the PS3 these days.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
eh, sony has a lot to prove with BC. Ill believe it when I see it. I'd still bet that ps5 wont play ps3 games.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
What if they locked bc feature behind ps plus?

That would be enormously shitty of them and potentially disastrous PR-wise. Would definitely not garner Sony the sort of good will they'll be wanting to have at the start of a new gen.

eh, sony has a lot to prove with BC. Ill believe it when I see it. I'd still bet that ps5 wont play ps3 games.

PS3 is the one PlayStation system I don't expect the PS5 to support when it comes to BC.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What's that got to do with PS5 though? The point of streaming is that it can be accessed on any supported device, since the game isn't running on the local device.

PS Now is already supported on PS4 and PC.

Well PSNow will obviously be on PS5 as well, that's what it's got to do with PS5.

PS1, 2, 3 disc bc will be a nice bonus but I don't see Sony wanting to lose money on a service that is currently making money. So I can see them making PS4 games priority for bc and sticking with PSNow for the older gen games.

Maybe they will make PSNow even better by making it like GamePass, adding PS5 games as well in the future, who knows.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Someone mentioned here a while back that it would be definitely in Sony's own interests to get PS3 games running on amd64 architecture. They can't keep manufacturing Cell chips forever and a day so they either pull the plug on PS3 completely (including PSN access) or find a way of making it work on PS5. That way they could replace all the PS3/PS4 banks they use for PSnow with just one system (PS5).

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Let's hope this will be implemented and not just remain a patent.

Someone mentioned here a while back that it would be definitely in Sony's own interests to get PS3 games running on amd64 architecture. They can't keep manufacturing Cell chips forever and a day so they either pull the plug on PS3 completely (including PSN access) or find a way of making it work on PS5. That way they could replace all the PS3/PS4 banks they use for PSnow with just one system (PS5).

Additionally, that way the hardware used on PS Now will require less specialize customization.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would love a fully backwards compatible PS5. I'm tired of keeping my PS3 hooked up all the time for gems like MGS HD, MGS4, and Demon's Souls. There is no reason the PS5 couldn't also play PSP and Vita games.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
What if they locked bc feature behind ps plus?

Them they will be shooting himself in the foot. As they will be blocking the access to the PS1 that all already available on their store. Good move for them will be to allow physical disc without a fee and also include as many titles as they can on the store.

What are the odds that PS5 does both PS4 and PS3 disc BC?

I don't know about PS3 but PS4 is definitely doable due to its 86x architecture.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I wish we could get a good *informed speculation* video on this from our dear friends at Digital Foundry.

I'd like to hear what they think is possible and what their take on the patent is. There may be some difficult hurdles to overcome that don't seem immediately obvious to simpletons such as myself.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
If this pans out, then it will. They have to do something.. too many classic PS3 games sitting there to collect dust.

This is what I am absolutely afraid of happening. I still don't have a PS4; I've held off in the hopes that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with both systems. So, the laws of irony pretty much dictate that this won't work out for me.

z0mer

Banned
Jan 25, 2019
The PS5 will make use of the same architecture, so they don't have to patent anything for it. The PS5 will just be a more powerful PS4 Pro, it's as simple as that. If it won't support PS4 games it's because Sony decided to block this feature.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I just want to be able to play my copies of Gitaroo Man and Bust-A-Groove 2. Don't let me down, Sony.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
BC shouldn't be a paid thing, because alone is a selling point for your console. Being able to play your existing PS1,PS2, PS3 and PS4 library means you are able to sell your console and still play all the games you have, maybe in an improved form by emulation.

If sony locks this behind a paywall they show yet again how greedy and anti-consumer they are, you simply can't ask for money when your competitor, in this case Microsoft, is doing the exact same thing, for free.

Also locking the service behind PSNow...really? I mean, I bought those games and you are asking me money again to play them? No way, and people shouldn't support this. A PS5 would be able to emulate a PS3 with no effort, considering PS3 emulation is already a thing on PC and people who worked on it of course have no access to official tools like Sony, so a proper emulator by Sony would probably be much easier to run on less powerful machines than a good PC, aka the PS5.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Iam all digital on ps4. Iam sure us cyber people wont be able to redownload our games i fear.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
User Warned: Use of the word "retarded" is not allowed on ResetEra
Iam all digital on ps4. Iam sure us cyber people wont be able to redownload our games i fear.
If Sony doesn't allow the dowload of your library, well, it's beyond retarded, because digital purchases should be supported on launch if this patent is really a thing.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
BC shouldn't be a paid thing, because alone is a selling point for your console. Being able to play your existing PS1,PS2, PS3 and PS4 library means you are able to sell your console and still play all the games you have, maybe in an improved form by emulation.

If sony locks this behind a paywall they show yet again how greedy and anti-consumer they are, you simply can't ask for money when your competitor, in this case Microsoft, is doing the exact same thing, for free.

Paying for online gaming shouldn't be a thing, but here we are. That's totally free on PC, so how can console manufacturers "get away with it"? Sony can charge for whatever they want. All of this stuff is moving towards subscription services, including Microsofts future.

It would annoy me if they take this approach, but I don't think any of these companies are truly "pro consumer". That's why I'm pretty sure I'm ditching consoles altogether next gen.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If Sony doesn't allow the dowload of your library, well, it's beyond retarded, because digital purchases should be supported on launch if this patent is really.
Well i really hope it is. This BC wont decide if i buy a ps5 because sony has a fantastic trackrecord with exclusives and iam there day 1.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Paying for online gaming shouldn't be a thing, but here we are. That's totally free on PC, so how can console manufacturers "get away with it"? Sony can charge for whatever they want. All of this stuff is moving towards subscription services, including Microsofts future.

It would annoy me if they take this approach, but I don't think any of these companies are truly "pro consumer". That's why I'm pretty sure I'm ditching consoles altogether next gen.
Paid online sucks everywhere, it's just a way to suck money out of consumer for pretty much nothing. But at least there are "free" games coming with your sub, cloud storage too.

The BC paid thing...I can agree on Sony or Microsoft providing a service, ie PSNOW, in which you pay, let's say, 100€ a year to have access to a vast selection of PS2, Ps3 and PS4 titles. That would be ok.

But.

If BC exist, you NEED to give me the opportunity to pop my disc in and play the game regardless, or being able to donwload the game from your servers if I own a digital copy. So a service can exist, but it shouldn't be the only way to being able to play your old games.

But as I wrote in a previous post, I'll believe this when I see an official news.

Remember how Sony stopped producing PS3 with PS2 chips saying the chip was needed to run PS2 games?
Later they started selling PS2 games on PSN which people datamined, and they came with a built-in emulator which could run pretty much any title, so the PS3 INITIALLY wasn't able to run PS2 games without the EmotionEngine, but Sony found a way to emulate PS2 games and charged for it regardless, so my opinion on Sony is very low at the moment based on what they did in the past. PS4 is more than capable to run PS1 and PS2 games too, but again you can only play some PS2 titles if you purchase them again, and you can't play PS1 games at all because Sony decided this.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The funny thing about this is that Sony used to be the best option for BC on Consoles. They have a long history of doing it, and doing it well. The PS4 is literally the only time they have never offered it. They can do it, they just need to have the inclination to do it. But after this gen, it is hard to say if they do or not.
Well PSNow will obviously be on PS5 as well, that's what it's got to do with PS5.

PS1, 2, 3 disc bc will be a nice bonus but I don't see Sony wanting to lose money on a service that is currently making money. So I can see them making PS4 games priority for bc and sticking with PSNow for the older gen games.

Maybe they will make PSNow even better by making it like GamePass, adding PS5 games as well in the future, who knows.
PS NOW has nothing to do with BC, and if anything, BC makes it more appealing. PS NOW is not a replacement for BC, but rather an investment for a coming streaming focused future. If it was just for BC, it wouldn't offer PS4 games, nor would it be available on PC. Also, think about it for a second: with PS3 BC, PS NOW would suddenly have a full downloadable library of nearly 800 games (probably more when PS5 releases), all of which are natively playable on your Console. That makes it one hell of a proposition. It undeniably makes the service itself more appealing.

Now, I understand that allowing BC means people can have access to their PS3 libraries for free, but does anyone really have over 600 PS3 games lying around? Probably not, and in that case, PS NOW still has plenty of value regardless of free access to the games (not to mention there are many people who never owned a Ps3, or sold off the system and their library of games after PS4 launched without BC). I don't think it hurts NOW at all. Honestly, having the entire library be downloadable would probably make me a subscriber.